Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Mcqueen posted:

How do you like that exhaust?

It has a nice growl to it, but it is loud. I had to buy the silencers for it.(PO put the exhaust on) I don't think I would take it over the stock exhaust given the option. Though, I wear ear plugs now so it doesn't really matter. I don't like driving through residential streets with it either because I feel like an obnoxious dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Clank posted:

It has a nice growl to it, but it is loud. I had to buy the silencers for it.(PO put the exhaust on) I don't think I would take it over the stock exhaust given the option. Though, I wear ear plugs now so it doesn't really matter. I don't like driving through residential streets with it either because I feel like an obnoxious dick.

Thanks for the input.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Spiffness posted:

Bought this cute little biddy tonight from a coworker for a dime. It's in great condition, not a spot of rust anywhere, just needs new rubber bits, a cleaning, a battery that's charged and someone to kick it.

Going to teach the lady how to ride on it and then flip it

1975 CB125S

Clip ons and dustbin fairing.

Just sayin'

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Took the opportunity of it not raining to pull the steel pillion subframe/fender supports, badly faded original tailpiece and licence plate tray/mudguard extension plastic thingy and tail light off my KDX.

Replaced it with a replica KX tail from UFO. It took taking the back of the bike apart and a lot of fiddling and snipping, but it now fits as well as it's going to, which isn't badly by the standards of old dirt bikes. Unfortunately the nature of the old school seat is such that you have a choice between the tail following the rest of the body or being flush with the end of the seat - I went with the former.

I then bent a bracket up to carry the licence plate and a stick on reflector for MOT legality.

Not sure if I'm going to keep the bike or chuck it in for a Husky MX or enduro model that's more suited to track work. If I keep it, I'm going to go to Renthal RC highs and possibly some Rox risers - for some reason when the PO rebuilt it, he just bought the OEM spec Renthals, which are just way too low. If you have your leg out for a left-hander you hit the horn button. I guess that's one way to get people out of your way.

For extra security, I'm going to bend up a simple extension bracket for the second silencer bracket. It doesn't really need two, so I'm not sure why Pro Circuit bothered welding both on. Other than pulling the clocks/swapping in a Sigma bicycle computer and dropping £170 on an FMF pipe to replace the twin wall original, that's most of the weight saving that can practically be done with this bike.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I hermetically sealed it and put it on my desk at work:

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Put a steering stabilizer on the R6. All I can comment is that I don't know why they didn't put one on from the factory. A bit less responsive at slow speeds, but the gain of stability at speed, and under throttle is easily worth the loss.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Way2slow posted:

Put a steering stabilizer on the R6. All I can comment is that I don't know why they didn't put one on from the factory. A bit less responsive at slow speeds, but the gain of stability at speed, and under throttle is easily worth the loss.

It doesn't come with one from the factory because with the correct spring rates, suspension tuning, and riding technique, it doesn't need one. Unfortunately, those things aren't always easy to find, especially the correct suspension tuning.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Looks like my best friend who just got hired by Intel (yay for relocation moola!) is gonna buy my K5 as a upgrade from his 50cc scooter as he moves from scooter-friendly Albany to Phoenix. Which is superbly great, as it's gonna stay in the "family."

I rode the bike for the first time since I got my Ninja and BOY was I tempted to keep the bike instead. Its comparative lightweightedness and furious quickness made me seriously ponder hard about really selling it. But I have my own monetary assets to nurture and not deplete unnecessarily. 2 motorcycles are enough when I'm in grad school, and I'd be helping out my friend by selling him a solid bike that he wouldn't get bored with for a long, long time.

K5, savage machinery on a tranquil hill.

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
Here is a pic of my Ape.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mattmofob fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 6, 2011

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mattmofob posted:

Here is a pic of my Ape.

That looks awesome, but I have no idea what it is. More info?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

mattmofob posted:

Here is a pic of my Ape.

That is a cool little bike... but why is your headlight trying to spot enemy aircraft?

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
It is a honda ape, 50cc 4-stroke, 5 speed tranny, 12 inch wheels.
I upgraded the engine to 82cc with a big valve race head, vm26, 5 disk clutch, carbon/titanium exhaust. It has about 13hp and revs to 14k rpm.
Fun.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mattmofob posted:

Here is a pic of my Ape.

That is awesome, I want one extremely much.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Ola posted:

That is awesome, I want one extremely much.

you must, this is the first time your english is a bit off

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

you must, this is the first time your english is a bit off

I'd like to think it was subtle way of expressing muchly childish glee with frolicky dancywords.

edit: this is me excusing myself as best I can

Ola fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 7, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I just realized that I never posted up my two fiddy, so here's a poorly taken, poorly timed, candid picture of me leaving on it. Enjoy:

Look how unique and special it is :haw:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
And here's my two fiddy, hanging out in the woods behind my house. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef

My brand new CBR600F. I'm almost as excited about it as my little girl!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Oibignose posted:

My brand new CBR600F. I'm almost as excited about it as my little girl!

Haven't seen them in that color before, very nice looking bike.

HiroshigeStations
Aug 4, 2007

1984 Honda CB125S. Spent most of its life as a training bike in Iowa. Essentially rust free. Took my MSF last year and need to get out there for some practice; sure would like to commute to work with it next year.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

HiroshigeStations posted:

1984 Honda CB125S. Spent most of its life as a training bike in Iowa. Essentially rust free. Took my MSF last year and need to get out there for some practice; sure would like to commute to work with it next year.

The first half of my MSF was on one of those with Renthal bars on it. I loved it to death because I wasn't intimidated by it. Though when I went to take my test I was handed a TW200. What a drastic change in power delivery and gearing ratio...

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

I can finally join the club. Picked it up today! My first bike!

1983 Kawasaki Z440 LTD

Prepare yourselves for boatloads of stupid questions from me!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Nice Kawa. I always loved those wheels.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Looks like it's in really good shape, nice bike.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

House Party 4 posted:

1983 Kawasaki Z440 LTD

I learned on an 89 Kawasaki 454 LTD. You'll love it!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

House Party 4 posted:

1983 Kawasaki Z440 LTD

I have a free sidecover for you if you want it. same color and in great shape.

I stepped on it last night and bent a tab.
It took all my self control to not shoot it with my glock then smash it with a pipewrench.

it's off of a 750 though

Edit 8/16

Joey's bike is almost done!

finally got that farking headlight issue sorted out.

A little bit of the magic smoke escaped from the wiring harness when I accidentally dropped a wrench against the starter solenoid and regulator. whooops!

Turns out it was a combination of things;
The high beam switch was shot so I fixed the switch and cleaned the contacts. (had paint on it ???)
The frame ground that runs to the headlight was severed.
The fuse box was having some problems with resistance so I cleaned it up and reshaped the tabs.

I also had some issues with the dummy lights that took me a while to sort out (most of it related to finding lightbulbs).

Good ol' rates nest.

The victorious moment when I finally figured out what was going on.

That little light literally came on when I tried another handlebar switch.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 16, 2011

Deverse
Apr 14, 2004

Well my parents ended up buying the entire family Buddy 50's to celebrate my mom beating ovarian cancer. I live 5 hours away so I finally got home to go out and ride with my dad and brother. I have to say that whenever I take it out I have the biggest stupid smile on my face even though its only 50cc.

I think it's time to find a 250 and get my license.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Congratulations on both parts! You've come to the right place to start the addiction; check your wallet and free-time at the door, please.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Deverse posted:

Well my parents ended up buying the entire family Buddy 50's to celebrate my mom beating ovarian cancer. I live 5 hours away so I finally got home to go out and ride with my dad and brother. I have to say that whenever I take it out I have the biggest stupid smile on my face even though its only 50cc.

http://motor.fulltrends.com/2010-aprilia-rs-50-motor-racing/

:colbert:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Deverse posted:

FYI you can remove a restrictor plate on those Buddy 50s and get another like 10mph out of them. Buddys are peppy as hell.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

FYI you can remove a restrictor plate on those Buddy 50s and get another like 10mph out of them. Buddys are peppy as hell.

Googled this out of curiosity, and found a Genuine-made how-to video!

Looks pretty straightforward, if you are at all mechanically inclined. There are, of course, performance exhausts and cylinder kits available.

Welcome to riding (scooters) it is so much fun

Deverse
Apr 14, 2004
I just watched that video and it seems very straight forward. I'll probably hold off for a while as I'm still getting comfortable with keeping my eyes up and spotting hazards. This forum has drilled into my head to take it slow and take a basic rider course.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Deverse posted:

I just watched that video and it seems very straight forward. I'll probably hold off for a while as I'm still getting comfortable with keeping my eyes up and spotting hazards. This forum has drilled into my head to take it slow and take a basic rider course.

You've got the proper mindset, take it slow. "It's your first bike, but hopefully not your last" and all that.

And congratulations on your mom beating cancer! I just love how their reaction to it was apparently "gently caress cancer, scooters for everyone!:toot:"

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Deverse posted:

Congrats to your mom! I have some plans for my wife's 5 year free checkup if everything goes smooth. She's a sucker for Ducati V-twins and a buddy of mine has a really nice older Duc he's willing to trade for some computer work @ his business.

Go take your MSF, get you gear squared away and pick up a ninja 250 (or cbr 250!) and welcome to the club. Stupid grins come standard here.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Deverse posted:

As someone who learned to ride on scooters (particularly with a CVT) I think they're a valuable way to learn. A 50cc CVT scooter takes very little thought to physically control, so you can spend your time concentrating on the road and traffic. Then, once that's automatic, it'll be less intimidating to have to shift/ride a larger bike because only part of it will be a new experience.

(also you may find you stick with scooters because they're awesome, and all motorcycles are for men with insecurity issues :colbert:)

Plus, you have a scooter available to ride for free... why jump into spending money?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

House Party 4 posted:

1983 Kawasaki Z440 LTD

Bike = a runner and a stunner.

Case guards = incredibly smart for your first bike. Don't take them off, as tempted as you might eventually be to shed 15 pounds and reclaim .00634 horsepower.

KZRider.com = go there.

My eagles = weeping tears of nostalgia for my 750 LTD.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Just finished a seven month resto-mod on my '96 Yamaha XJ600.

EDIT - teaser pic:

ari.gato fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 18, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
:razz: I always thought Seca2's were pretty cool looking bikes, especially in naked form. What headlight, headlight mount, and gauge did you use? I'm in the midst of converting my bike and I haven't really narrowed down what I'll be using.

edit: I completely forgot what it looked like when you got it, very nice work.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 18, 2011

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
I used the Acewell 2800 series for the Speedo/Tach.

For the headlight and brackets, I used an Aztec8 7" Headlight and brackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Bookmarked that poo poo.

I can't wait to ditch the bikini fairing on my Bandit.