Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Mex posted:

After about a day or two of using Safari, not restarting the Mac, with around 3 to 8 tabs, is it normal for it to use huge amounts of memory?

Activity monitor says "Safari Web Content" is holding 800mb of memory, and Safari itself 500mb. I have 4gb of ram so it's not a big deal but it does slow down sometimes when browsing.
No, it's completely normal. If it bothers you that much, restart Safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

I haven't seen this mentioned yet. With Keychain, I have it set to "Show keychain status in menu bar", which places the Lock icon there. Under Snow Leopard (and I'm pretty sure Leopard before that) when I chose "Lock Screen", I would get the black/blank screen that I get if I let the display sleep . Now, under Lion, doing so starts the Screensaver, despite me having Screensaver set to Never.

Should I file a bug report or is this a change in behavior I haven't heard about yet?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uhhh hopefully I'm not asking something profoundly simple, but is there any way to rearrange the order of your fullscreen'd apps? Like I have iTunes and Mail fullscreened, but I use Mail much more often so I'd like that to be the first screen after my Desktop instead of iTunes.

I opened MC and tried to drag the Mail "space" before iTunes but no dice.

e: oh I have to quit Mail and reopen it huh. Lame. They'd better give us a way to specify what goes where at some point :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 7, 2011

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Martytoof posted:

Uhhh hopefully I'm not asking something profoundly simple, but is there any way to rearrange the order of your fullscreen'd apps? Like I have iTunes and Mail fullscreened, but I use Mail much more often so I'd like that to be the first screen after my Desktop instead of iTunes.

I opened MC and tried to drag the Mail "space" before iTunes but no dice.

e: oh I have to quit Mail and reopen it huh. Lame. They'd better give us a way to specify what goes where at some point :(

There's an option in MC to have them sorted by last usage; try turning it off if it's on to see if that lets you move 'em around.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

There's an option in MC to have them sorted by last usage; try turning it off if it's on to see if that lets you move 'em around.

It doesn't, but it was a good idea :(

Tried ctrl/opt/cmd/shift dragging with no appreciable results. No big deal since it's really quick flipping through spaces, but it would have been nice to be able to specify what goes where.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Martytoof posted:

It doesn't, but it was a good idea :(

Tried ctrl/opt/cmd/shift dragging with no appreciable results. No big deal since it's really quick flipping through spaces, but it would have been nice to be able to specify what goes where.

You can sort of fake it out by using them in reverse of the order you want them arranged (It will always start out Dashboard->Desktop 1), switching between them via mission control. I'm not sure how much 'use' is required to make it define a desktop as last used, but anecdotally, I've jumped to iTunes to switch playlists and Mail to check a new incoming and not had it rearrange on me. Not sure it the metric is actions taken or time spent in a space.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

How do I change the colour of the birthday calendar in iCal? I'm pretty sure my original colour carried over from Snow Leopard initially, now it's a dull slate grey for some reason.

e: Also, how do I prevent OS X from restoring my windows when rebooting without unchecking a little box every time? I tried removing all read/write/execute permission from ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State to no effect.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 7, 2011

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I just did a clean install of Lion and now I can't disable the inverted scrolling. I was able to disable it before :(

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 7, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What mouse do you have? Try unplugging and plugging it in again maybe?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Martytoof posted:

What mouse do you have? Try unplugging and plugging it in again maybe?

Microsoft Intellimouse.

I just plugged in the original apple mouse and now I can disable it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
What's the goon consensus on the new FileVault? I'd like to have it turned on as I'm one of those people who is overly concerned with security, but I'm not too keen if it's going to get in the way, cause problems, or interfere in any way with Time Machine. Thoughts?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Lexicon posted:

What's the goon consensus on the new FileVault? I'd like to have it turned on as I'm one of those people who is overly concerned with security, but I'm not too keen if it's going to get in the way, cause problems, or interfere in any way with Time Machine. Thoughts?

The encryption is totally transparent to Time Machine.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Lexicon posted:

As Lazyhound says, it's totally transparent to Time Machine and, indeed, everything else. Basically you unlock the disk at boot and as far as you and any software you run are concerned it is business as usual.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

A question that may have been asked before: When using the per app Expose in Lion, the recently opened documents at the bottom don't seem to be updating (for example in preview a bunch of images that I looked at a while ago are still in the recently viewed documents area despite having opened a whole bunch of other ones since). Is there any way to get it to update, or get rid of the ones that are there?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Oneiros posted:

As Lazyhound says, it's totally transparent to Time Machine and, indeed, everything else. Basically you unlock the disk at boot and as far as you and any software you run are concerned it is business as usual.

Alright, awesome. Thanks guys.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Shin-chan posted:

Command-Drag will remove stuff. This behavior was changed at some point back in Snow Leopard.

I didn't believe you, but I checked my Snow Leopard machine and you're right! I wonder when they changed that (kind of obnoxious, but I guess it keeps people with poor mousing skills from accidentally removing poo poo. Thanks for pointing that out.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What I find funny is that almost nobody (myself included) noticed that Apple changed the drag behavior until Lion. Was there something new they put into the sidebar that all of us tried to drag out?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

What I find funny is that almost nobody (myself included) noticed that Apple changed the drag behavior until Lion. Was there something new they put into the sidebar that all of us tried to drag out?
They changed it mid SL actually. With the prevalence of trackpads these days it's not really that uncommon to accidentally drag something off the sidebar (or anywhere really), hear that familiar *poof*, and then freak out because you don't even know what you dragged off of there in the first place.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
does mail count against your 5GB limit for iCloud?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

computer parts posted:

does mail count against your 5GB limit for iCloud?

No.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This must be a Lion thing, since this worked fine in Snow Leopard. In Aperture, every time I delete a photo with Command+X or Delete on the keyboard, it crashes instantly. Right clicking and selecting "Delete" works fine though.

So frustrating after about the 50th time I've done it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Does anyone have any suggestions for personal finance software? I'm on Leopard. I want one that can operate in Yen and does not require me to link it to my bank account, ideally.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did anyone upgrade to Lion while also having a boot camped Windows? If I try to hold down the option key while booting up I'll get a kernel panic. Also if I pick Windows 7 from the Startup Disk in Preferences it will hang in the grey screen once in a while. I can successfully boot into Windows sometimes but these freezes and panics are annoying. I'm thinking of wiping everything to do a fresh Lion install and do boot camp partition afterwards again.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Argh, how do I get an SSHFS connection to work in Lion? Worked fine in SL, but now Macfusion is a flaky bitch that constantly crashes and locks :[

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Did anyone upgrade to Lion while also having a boot camped Windows? If I try to hold down the option key while booting up I'll get a kernel panic. Also if I pick Windows 7 from the Startup Disk in Preferences it will hang in the grey screen once in a while. I can successfully boot into Windows sometimes but these freezes and panics are annoying. I'm thinking of wiping everything to do a fresh Lion install and do boot camp partition afterwards again.

I haven't had any issues, but have you tried updating to Boot Camp 4.0?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Is anyone else having any issues with Perian/Flip 4 Mac? It doesn't seem to be working with Quicktime anymore for some reason. :I

EDIT: nevermind just reinstalled everything :shepface:

pram fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 8, 2011

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Every once in a while QuickTime would forget about Perian and claim it couldn't play .mkv files, and reinstalling fixed that problem each time.

I'm having trouble getting Perian to update from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3. Every time I click check for update, it finds it, downloads it, and installs it, but the version number is always 1.2.2. This has persisted across both reinstallations and reboots. I'll give it another shot, but I think something else has to be done.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

carry on then posted:

I'm having trouble getting Perian to update from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3. Every time I click check for update, it finds it, downloads it, and installs it, but the version number is always 1.2.2. This has persisted across both reinstallations and reboots. I'll give it another shot, but I think something else has to be done.

I have the same thing. Also, for some reason QTX says that mkv files must be opened in QT7.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Argh, how do I get an SSHFS connection to work in Lion? Worked fine in SL, but now Macfusion is a flaky bitch that constantly crashes and locks :[
I don't think Macfuse works on Lion (Note: I'm still on SL).
Maybe try Fuse4x or wait for OSXFuse to get somewhere.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

vkeios posted:

I don't think Macfuse works on Lion (Note: I'm still on SL).
Maybe try Fuse4x or wait for OSXFuse to get somewhere.

ugg, loving bullshit. Getting Fuse4X to work apparently requires a shitload of compiling poo poo and dependencies and a lot of UGH gently caress IT. I am so bummed, thanks anyway :\

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

AlternateAccount posted:

ugg, loving bullshit. Getting Fuse4X to work apparently requires a shitload of compiling poo poo and dependencies and a lot of UGH gently caress IT. I am so bummed, thanks anyway :\

I have OSXFUSE installed, and it worked for VMWare Fusion. I'm not sure where I got the compiled binary though.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

In case anyone is trying to use the recently-discontinued Rivet on Lion:

Rivet 2.5.8 works fine on Lion. Recent versions do not.

Apparently I hadn't been applying updates to my Rivet. I just updated today. Most recent Rivet doesn't seem to work on Lion (Xbox 360 and PS3 simply can't find it, even with firewall turned off). However, the version I was using before still works fine (thanks Time Machine!). I haven't spent time figuring out exactly which version breaks, but 2.5.8 is working OK for me.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
My iMac keeps forgetting my external display settings, I have 'mirror' ticked off and plugged into a TV, but every time I turn the external screen off/on again, it assumes 'mirror' is ticked on.

Is there anything to solve this? I'm on a 2011 iMac with 10.6.8, but this used to happen with my old 2006 Macbook Pro too....

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
You know, inverse scrolling really isn't that bad when jumping to a mouse. Just pretend that the scroll wheel is pushing the page down or pulling it up. Once I started thinking of it like that I instantly got it with my mouse and had no problems.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, the real difference is that with the old style you were moving the scroll thumb, but with the new way you're moving the page. I really don't think the old way is any more natural, but it's been ingrained in our muscle memory over years and years. You just have to learn to think about it differently.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Scroll bars need tweaking still in Lion... while I do appreciate having the hidden scroll bars, but I hate that in finder the scroll bar covers up the bottom most item. So i turned scroll bars back on and man are they ugly! They just look more ugly and bland than the blue scroll bars of Snow Leopard.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Is there any way I can shoehorn Lion's mail.app into Snow Leopard? I've got a machine I can't upgrade right now for production reasons but I can't go back to Snow Leopard mail.app. Lion has spoiled me.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Is there any way I can shoehorn Lion's mail.app into Snow Leopard? I've got a machine I can't upgrade right now for production reasons but I can't go back to Snow Leopard mail.app. Lion has spoiled me.

I don't know if the new Mail.app will work in SL (I don't see why it wouldn't, but who knows?) but if it doesn't, you can always use the Wide Mail plugin. I was using it for years before Apple got off their asses and did it properly.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have a macbook 1.1 and I am trying to install lion clean from an 8gb ipod. I backed up my ipod, and then used disk utility to "restore" installesd.dmg to the ipod. It seems to have worked, but when I select the drive from the menu I get from holding option at boot I just get a NO symbol after a few seconds. What gives? The macbook doesn't have a dvd writer, so I can't make a dvd.

I tried Lion Disk Maker 1.3 as well, and it produces the same results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I have a macbook 1.1 and I am trying to install lion clean from an 8gb ipod. I backed up my ipod, and then used disk utility to "restore" installesd.dmg to the ipod. It seems to have worked, but when I select the drive from the menu I get from holding option at boot I just get a NO symbol after a few seconds. What gives? The macbook doesn't have a dvd writer, so I can't make a dvd.

I tried Lion Disk Maker 1.3 as well, and it produces the same results.

You can't put Lion on a Core Duo machine.

e: officially, at least. Are you trying that delete the PlatformSupport.plist method?

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 8, 2011