Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
/\ Felicity, that's so pretty!

BABIES. Where do you get off having such tiny feet?

It's goddamn weird, you little weird sproggy things. How am I ever supposed to be happy knitting adult socks, when I can make these over the span of 2 films and from only 1 skein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011
That Twist Collective top is stunning! As for the babies, it's a conspiracy!

Now I'm embarrassed to show off this, but here goes!

I'm making a Ribbed Watchman's Hat using Patons Classic wool in Deep Olive.

Who can tell me how I've borked my ribbing? I think I know what I'm doing wrong, and I'm going to blame it on being rusty and having taught myself to knit out of a book a few years ago. I've decided to run with it, but have told my boyfriend that he's not allowed to show it to anyone else who knits - ever.

Fenchurch fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 7, 2011

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Can you stretch it out? At first glance I don't see anything wrong with it.

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011
I think I'm twisting either the knit or purl stitches, but it could just be that my tension is loose. I'll get a better image later when I can get someone to take it for me while I hold it open/stretch it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I ordered from DBNY weeks ago and it hasn't arrived. I'm itching to knit so now I'm grumpy as hell. :argh:

The good news is that I just found a barrister bookcase on craigslist -- it needs a little work, but then it'll be perfect for my stash and knitting supplies. I've moved around a lot the last couple years, so I can't wait to get it all in one place and see what I actually have!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Anne Whateley posted:

I ordered from DBNY weeks ago and it hasn't arrived. I'm itching to knit so now I'm grumpy as hell. :argh:

The good news is that I just found a barrister bookcase on craigslist -- it needs a little work, but then it'll be perfect for my stash and knitting supplies. I've moved around a lot the last couple years, so I can't wait to get it all in one place and see what I actually have!

This is dangerous. Either you will immediately go "I have too much oh no!" or you will go "oh I clearly have exactly enough" and then buy more without feeling guilty--and then enter the former stage.

At least, that's what happened when I organized my stash.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I made a thing and it is terrible. This seems to be a theme with me.

I showed it to some friends and several of them want one, so I guess it's not all bad! :shobon: Pattern is from The AntiCraft, if any of you sick fucks were wondering.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

It looks like a baby xenomorph, and I have a friend who would want one. That or a shrimp. (I think shrimp are kind of freaky looking pre shelling)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

FelicityGS posted:

It looks like a baby xenomorph, and I have a friend who would want one. That or a shrimp. (I think shrimp are kind of freaky looking pre shelling)

Yeah, the yarn I had on hand was some terrible old acrylic, and it ended up not looking much like the pictures. I actually had to do a bit of sewing to get it like that, because it originally looked like a crescent thing with weird tails. I might try again with some bulkier yarn, and try selling them to friends or on Etsy.

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011
Here's a picture of my hat-in-progress being modeled. The ribbing looks better stretched out.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Sometimes ribbing looks weird until you stretch it out, looks great :)

knitta please
Feb 18, 2011

Climbing down the hours I need to know now:
Do the hands of time only rule this chapter?
My first (complete) baby sweater and booties! It's a gift for my friend's niece. I think I placed the button too high, and I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of moving the button hole. :suicide:

Lion Brand Cotton Ease. Sweater is Ribbed Baby Jacket, and booties are Saartje's Bootees, both on ravelry.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

^^ Cute!

I finished a scarf. It was the first time I'd done that sort of bind off and it sort of looks like pink and purple nipples. :geno:

Still got three skeins of this yarn and I have no idea what to do with the rest of it.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 9, 2011

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Make a hat to match the scarf. A jaunty beret, maybe. Or gloves. Possibly some of those fingerless mittens.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Ooh, I love those colors. I like the beret idea too. If you wanted to make something bigger I think those colors would look awesome striped with some cream colored yarn.

knitta please
Feb 18, 2011

Jollity Farm posted:

Make a hat to match the scarf. A jaunty beret, maybe. Or gloves. Possibly some of those fingerless mittens.

I love fingerless mittens! I love the look of them in pictures and in theory, but I made a pair of Endpaper mitts, and every time I wear them I feel like I am 13. :(

Sodium Chloride, you did an awesome job. Your stitching looks super neat.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I just did my first "purl nine together". Awesome.

Of course I did four of them before I realized I was purling the first two stitches of each nuup as separate things, throwing my stitch count off. That would have been a lot more upsetting to figure out at the END of the row, so phew.

Do nuups look neater after blocking? I know most everything does, especially in lace, but they're kinda dense so who knows.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Do nuups look neater after blocking? I know most everything does, especially in lace, but they're kinda dense so who knows.

Yes, thank goodness. Even when I was doing 'even' nupps, I still thought they looked crap. Blocking makes them look so much nicer.

ReneaKat
Dec 11, 2010
I'm a lurker knitting goon, but I live in the Southwest Ohio area and wanted to let any Ohio goons know about the Yellow Springs Wool Gathering. It's September 17 & 18 and looks to be totally awesome. I know someone doing some spinning demos, so I wanted to get the word out. Yellow Springs and Young's Dairy (where the Gathering is) are pretty cool places to visit anyway. Here's a link to the site if you're interested!

http://my.voyager.net/~nfisher/

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I liked the hat idea :)

Did the top of the hat with kitchener stitch instead of pull yarn through the last loops which I think looks weird. Also the pinks made a nice swirl before the decrease rows.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

That's a pretty good hat, and would go well with the scarf (not just the colours, which is obvious, but the shape). Not sure it quite suits Psyduck, though :v:

knitta please
Feb 18, 2011

Sodium Chloride posted:

This yarn is super pretty and looks really soft. What is it?

General question: What is a good first adult size sweater to make? I was thinking of doing Owls on Ravelry, as it seems like a decent pattern to modify in the future - thoughts?

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011
Finished my first hat. Nothing fancy, just a 2x2 rib.

Picture!

Fenchurch fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 17, 2011

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Those ribs look great :)

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Fenchurch posted:

Finished my first hat. Nothing fancy, just a 2x2 rib.

Picture!

What decrease pattern did you use?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

knitta please posted:

This yarn is super pretty and looks really soft. What is it?
It is Fyberspates Scrumptious. (Rav Link) You can only get solid colours these days as I think she doesn't dye them herself any more. Nice yarn but the normal price is £14 :aaa:.

quote:

General question: What is a good first adult size sweater to make? I was thinking of doing Owls on Ravelry, as it seems like a decent pattern to modify in the future - thoughts?

The might have got fixed with the pay version but many people comment that it has 'a poofy back'. I think a top down raglan would be easier as a first sweater since you can try it on as you go.

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011

Look Under The Rock posted:

What decrease pattern did you use?

Haha well! The pattern I followed for the hat was the Ribbed Watchman's Hat on Ravelry. That being said as I was doing the decrease rows in it I skipped a knit row accidentally, and then when I got to the end realized I don't have a yarn needle. So I further reduced from the six stitches the pattern calls for to three, and then used a crochet hook to draw yarn through those.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Knitty goons: just wanted to let you know i've got a coupon code in my etsy shop for 35% off until midnight on the 31st. Coupon code is 'SUMMERSEND'

Cause the best way to welcome Autumn is with lots of knitting!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Knitty goons: just wanted to let you know i've got a coupon code in my etsy shop for 35% off until midnight on the 31st. Coupon code is 'SUMMERSEND'

Cause the best way to welcome Autumn is with lots of knitting!

If I weren't broke and needing to pay rent out of my next paycheck Friday I would totally buy the fabulous yellow-gold soft serve sock yarn. Wowza. (I also super dig the mint choco chip.)

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

FelicityGS posted:

If I weren't broke and needing to pay rent out of my next paycheck Friday I would totally buy the fabulous yellow-gold soft serve sock yarn. Wowza. (I also super dig the mint choco chip.)

I'm in the same boat, but have less self control than you do :) I just picked up the tiger tail sock yarn. Can't wait to get it!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'm brainstorming an idea, and I'm gonna run it by you guys before I start asking friends. I'm 6 months pregnant now, and soon I will be unable to work at my job, and will have to be home. We can make do with my husband's income during that time, but any money I can bring in would help. I want to start teaching knitting lessons. There are NO yarn stores in a 45 minute drive of me in any direction, and the only stores offering classes are JoAnn's and Michael's.

I'm thinking either single person classes or small groups, a single cost (probably like $40-$50) for a pattern, yarn, and probably 2 months of weekly classes. The "student" would pick a project when the 'class' started like a hat, bag, or baby sweater or something else small, and the first class would cover knitting basics. Then gauge swatch and so on, until at the end of two months you get a finished object! I'd offer mistake repairs and extra help, stuff like that.

My background: I've been knitting for 22 years now, and I've posted some of my finished objects in this thread.

Would any of you take up this offer if faced with it in real life? Recommend it to friends/family?

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Awesome rear end Crackers!, it'll be shipping out tomorrow!

Amykinz, that is definitely something I would recommend to other in real life. I often have people ask me to teach them, but I never have the time or the patience. Plus, I think the idea of offering it as a sort of all-inclusive deal (yarn, pattern, extra help) is really great. I hope you find willing students, because it sounds like a good deal.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Awesome rear end Crackers!, it'll be shipping out tomorrow!

Yay! Now I have to find a project for it. Good thing my boss doesn't mind me browsing Ravelry at work! :v:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Now that it's not 100 degrees out every day I can go back to working on my vest. This is about where it was at in April and it's pretty much the same now except a few stitches slipped off the needles so I'm going to have to fix that first and I just haven't felt like it.

DeeZee
Jun 9, 2004
Super bumble bee
Picture time!

So in a fit of madness I bought over £100 worth of yarn last month deciding that I wanted to make a blanket and a dress

So far I've just made a few squares in 4 different colours, one of which I really hate but also have those most of (it looked so much better in the photo)

The idea is just to make 48 9x9 inch squares and sew them all together. I've been using this blanket here: http://www.spudandchloe.com/blog/2011/07/outer-block-blanket-free-pattern/ as a base for the pattern.

But I just saw ih8ualot's perfect square dissection blanket a few pages back and I love it, I want it, and I might just rip out everything I've done so far and make that instead because it's so neat.

It seems I've been full of knitting indecision lately, does this happen to anyone else? You have beautiful yarn and nothing you start seems to be worthy enough for it. I've started this pair of socks again over at least 12 times and with the amount of sock I've already knitted but ripped back I could have a pair of socks by now.

Hopefully I'm going to stick with this one

Oh and here are some completed socks

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004

DeeZee posted:

It seems I've been full of knitting indecision lately, does this happen to anyone else? You have beautiful yarn and nothing you start seems to be worthy enough for it. I've started this pair of socks again over at least 12 times and with the amount of sock I've already knitted but ripped back I could have a pair of socks by now.

I do that a lot :(

I try pattern after pattern but i have to find the perfect one and i frog it if it's not "good enough"

Bah.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I do that too although usually it's like "I'm gonna write my own pattern! Oh no the pattern I came up with sucks balls. Uhm..." and then I shove it in a plastic bag and hide it under the bed for two years.

I just tried to start one of those projects where you control the yarn colors pooling so they end up in neat lines...ugh. I thought I had the right number of stitches to make all the colors line up and then five inches into the scarf I noticed that one whole side was knit looser than the other side because every time I came to it I was trying to control where the colors went by knitting looser. Consequently the whole thing was more of a trapezoid than a rectangle.

Not that I think a trapezoid scarf wouldn't be cool, but this was pretty ugly. Now it's just a bunch of yarn.

I'm feeling like a knitting failure lately. Very stressed at work. Should probably just knit a garter stitch square (and then maybe set it on fire).

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

I do that a lot :(

I try pattern after pattern but i have to find the perfect one and i frog it if it's not "good enough"

Bah.

If it's socks, I knit the first one, decide that it is too small/not pretty enough/too boring and never knit the next one.

I have a sock from 2 years ago my mother keeps prodding me to make the match to because she liked the first one.

Yeah. :ohdear:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I do that too although usually it's like "I'm gonna write my own pattern! Oh no the pattern I came up with sucks balls. Uhm..." and then I shove it in a plastic bag and hide it under the bed for two years.

Haha, I do that, and I know it's going to suck, but I still stick with it most of the time and go "yeah I designed and made this myself" as a I show off a jumper with sleeves that finish at an awkward moment, or a torso that isn't long enough for anyone.
I did have a really nice cardigan I had designed and was working on, but I got confused and gave up and couldn't be bothered frogging it so now it's taking up a bunch of space in bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

Haha, I do that, and I know it's going to suck, but I still stick with it most of the time and go "yeah I designed and made this myself" as a I show off a jumper with sleeves that finish at an awkward moment, or a torso that isn't long enough for anyone.
I did have a really nice cardigan I had designed and was working on, but I got confused and gave up and couldn't be bothered frogging it so now it's taking up a bunch of space in bags.

Somewhere I've got half a cabled cardigan that's being unraveled and knit into half a lace blanket that's being unraveled and knit into a shrug.

I'm just going to pretend it's an art instillation or something.