Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN
Honestly is pretty bad. I'm not liking it at all.

Still I'm sure I will end up picking out a few tracks that I like and will just ooze those out :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Thought
May 18, 2005
I was so nervous when I heard Mr. Alicia Keys had two beats on this joint, but my God I'm digging Welcome to the Jungle and Murder to Excellence like crazy. Those two really go off. Especially Welcome to the Jungle, I can see myself playing that too loud when driving around.

Qwertyiop25
Jan 19, 2011

D is for Dank
It's Hammerin' Hank
Green in his name
And Green in his bank.

illcendiary posted:

No I mean I literally just stared at my computer screen as I listened. Amazing Flux Pavilion sample.

Okay because I saw some initial "this is dubstep therefore this is bad" comments. I really liked the song myself.

I just want to reiterate the fact that Niggas In Paris goes hard, and state that it sounds like Otis and H.A.M (on the deluxe edition) have been remastered for the better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does Beyonce's hook in Lift Off seem really....awkward to anyone else? The whole song just feels off somehow. I can't put my finger on why.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
This is possibly the weirdest hip-hop album I've ever heard. This is not really a one listen album, but it's so exhausting that I'm not too keen to go through it again. I like that the bonus tracks were basically there to help get your bearings straight after that onslaught.

Here's a question though: what the hell is Otis doing on the album?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I think I'm going to enjoy it. Every time there's a divisive album like this I end up being on the "enjoy" side because I like nonhomogeneous soundscapes

Krysis
Aug 26, 2007

Hex Hates U

YEAH YOU
Just got through listening to it a while ago. It sounds a little weird to me, but I'm pretty certain that it will grow on me. I'm going to listen to it again tomorrow while I'm driving to Denver.

And yes, H.A.M. and Otis really do sound a lot better with the remastering.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I just skimmed through it and it sounds really weird! No Church in the Wild sounds really awesome so far, really liking that song.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
No Church In The Wild is great, the little Dream breakdown in the middle is tight.

Niggas in Paris is harder than a mf.

Gotta Have It is probably my favorite track on the album, the beat is so soulful and I'm loving the LOX style back-and-forth bars.

Who Gon Stop Me is a little disappointing because it's slowed down and I've heard too many MC's murder the original.

Why I Love You is kinda cool.

On a first listen it's like 50% hot poo poo which makes it one of the better hip-hop albums I've heard so far this year. Also sounds like it should translate to a live performance pretty well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a very schizophrenic, ambitious, odd album, and I really enjoy it. I can't pick out any standout tracks yet because it all went together as one thing really well. Gotta Have It is really good, and I still think Lift Off is awkward-sounding and probably my least favourite track on there.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Echoing the "I'll need to listen to it a few times" sentiment.

Black Thought
May 18, 2005
I see people really loving Niggas in Paris, am I the only person that isn't a fan until about 2:45 when the beat changes up?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Black Thought posted:

I see people really loving Niggas in Paris, am I the only person that isn't a fan until about 2:45 when the beat changes up?

Yeah I'm with you. The piano sounds very MBDTF.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Gotta say, I'm only 2 songs in and I'm absolutely loving it. "Lift Off," which I was hearing bad things about, I am enjoying immensely. It's the kind of pop song I really wouldn't mind hearing on the radio. Dope. Then again I have on studio headphones so I can hear all the cool engineering that went into the song, and I've always been partial to Beyonce's voice

Poisonary
Dec 2, 2006

I gotta agree that this is a very... unconventional album. But drat some songs go so hard, I love Niggas in Paris in particular just from the first listen. I do like the part where the beat changes the most though. I also really liked Murder to Excellence. This is something I'll probably be bumping over and over for months like MBDTF.

I am a little sad that the Por Ti Volare song that was mentioned in one of the listening party reviews didn't make it in though :(

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Well gently caress. That sure is one way to declare to the world that you're not becoming complacent with your sound.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

First listen - really enjoyed it. Accidentally put Niggas in Paris on repeat for two extra listens and didn't mind it at all. I just thought it was really long.

Edit - Although I wouldn't be surprised to see it mashed with Mama Mia before too long.

Sisgmund fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 8, 2011

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Kanye's first verse on Niggas in Paris reminds me of that E.T. song. ugh

Based on a couple of listens, Why I Love You is my favourite.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

This could be another Kanye album that just happens to have a shitload of Jay on it... not that im complaining at all. Love it.

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

Just got through with the first listen and I'm enjoying it a lot. The standouts upon first listen are: No Church in the Wild, Niggas in Paris, Welcome to the Jungle, and especially both Who Gon Stop Me and Why I Love You.

I will echo the sentiment that the other songs will probably grow on me, but it is still very solid.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
this is so loving sick

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Watch the Throne is alright so far, 3 tracks in. It's no My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

cuddlefish
Nov 11, 2003

That was a game.

This is paintball.

Angryhead posted:

Based on a couple of listens, Why I Love You is my favourite.

Why I Love You is definitely my favorite.

It feels... a bit short. I put it on to work out to but it was done before I was. It's also more... melodic? and has less of a beat that pushes me along like other Kanye stuff.

Still like it, but adjusting to how it's a little different from what I was expecting I guess.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is it just me or am I not seeing Otis on iTunes?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kinda wish there was more guest spots/ less Beyonce.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I guess I never actually "bought" the album from iTunes last night although it let me download the album just fine.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Kinda wish there was more guest spots/ less Beyonce.

It didn't have the budget MBDTF has, and Beyonce is Jay's gf so...

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
I'm feeling like most of the guest artists were GOOD or at least DefJam to keep costs down.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
It's provocative. It gets the people going!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Having listened to this twice now:

I don't think this will ever be listed among the top albums by Jay or Kanye, but holy poo poo is it a fun album.

It's really uneven and bizarre but that just adds to the album for me. I appreciate the chances they took (even if some are total failures) and the weird flourishes on the album.

The guest produced tracks are phenomenal too; hearing Jay/Ye rap over a distinctly Q-tip beat is cool as gently caress.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
I really like every track on this album. Lift Off is kind of meh and Otis doesn't sound like it belongs on the album at all, but other than that it's all excellent.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
It's really cool that you get the free download with the tour tickets. I don't know if it's because I bought two tickets or what but I even got a link so I could pass a second download onto a friend.

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig

Ye posted:

Prince William ain't do it right if you ask me, If I was him I would have married Kate and Ashley..

Youz so funny Kanyeezy

In all seriousness though I like how dark and weird some of these tracks are. Especially the opener. That sample is dope as hell.

Tohovi
Jul 18, 2006
I was pretty much "what the gently caress did I just listen to?" after the first listen, but I must be up to listen number 10 by now, it really grew on me and I love it.

Seeing Kanye live in Norway tomorrow, apparently he's at least been doing H.A.M. on some of his sets for his current MBDTF tour lately, hoping he does some more from Watch the Throne now that it's released. Can't wait regardless.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...
well, I'm pretty impressed. I like this album more than both The Blueprint 3 and MBDTF. pretty much every song on here is good, I'm even partial to the Beyonce feature (every rap album needs a good pop song)

standouts: gotta have it, welcome to the jungle, who gon stop me, made in america

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Liking this album a lot, though I'm not too impressed with Lift Off which I think is probably the weakest track on the album. This version of Otis is a lot more impressive than the one posted a few weeks back.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
I'm kinda curious as to how this would have panned out if this would have been limited to the five songs that Kanye said it was initially going to be.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
I actually don't like new Otis as much

Although if they didnt add in the drum machine the track would sound completely alien on the album.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
"No Church in the Wild" is such a sick opening track.

I really like this album. The production is epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Does Illest Motherucker Alive really start with 3 minutes of dead air? That's going to be annoying to play in the car. Good song too.

• Locked thread