Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fantastic, Lego. You've managed to remind me of the nightmares I forgot I used to have after watching too much X-Files as a kid. :ohdear:

Seriously, gently caress Greys. Though it ought to come with the kid legs, and maybe a window from which it can peer in at you while you sleep. (Locking it does nothing! They can abduct you through solid glass!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phy posted:

Seriously, gently caress Greys. Though it ought to come with the kid legs, and maybe a window from which it can peer in at you while you sleep. (Locking it does nothing! They can abduct you through solid glass!)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

cheetah7071 posted:

So I'm looking to relive some childhood nostalgia and get a lego set, but all the good looking models seem to be in the $100+ range. I'm not looking to make my own art or anything, just toss together what the manual specifies and put it on a shelf or something. Are there any nice-looking sets people can recommend that are more in the $50 price range?
Click these links for suggestions of awesome sets, some may be outside your price range though.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496&userid=58047#post381557721
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496&userid=58047#post381560636

I would say buying a Galactic Mediator from Bricklink would be your best bet. That thing is a wonderful set and it's absolutely gigantic and makes a great display piece, too. But in my opinion, the cream of the crop is the Mega Core Magnetizer.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally relented and picked up some Series 4 Minifigs. Grabbed 10, ended up with 2 Frankenstein's Monsters and 2 Fisherman, but totally scored with a Hazmat Dude. They barely had any S4 left, but a bunch of S3 around. Last time I went around a month or so ago, they had tons of both.

The in-store calendar confirmed Series 5 for some time in September.

Also completely forgot about Brickfête :(

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 6, 2011

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I should never have ventured into my basement!
I've found it.. all of it (I think)... the Lego is EVERYWHERE.

Just spent the last 3 hours sorting it - still not done - and I've gotta get some sleep before my night shift.

Tally of sets I ought to have is rather long... but going by the manuals I've found, and by memory:

Black Knights Castle (my personal favourite - will be reassembling this ASAP)

Majisto's Magical Workshop

Bandit's Secret Hideout

Some assortment of pirates/islanders
No idea what sets these came from...

Hurricane Harbor

Underwater scuba dudes (modern theme)
Multiple sets. Some assembled.

Various alien sets - some of the bug aliens. One that has a light-up stinger? Looked like a wasp.
Will try to sort these out asap. I know I have one assembled and lurking someplace...

Warp Wing Fighter

I know I have this one assembled and hiding somewhere!!

Various technic sets, including one of the teal/purple battling dudes.
Have instructions for some.

Search Sub

drat cats chewed up some of the tubing - only the stiff ones, not the pneumatic tubes, thankfully!

Technic Destroyer Droid

This thing is assembled, but the elastic bands have worn out/broken. In that regard are the elastic bands purchasable?
Still have the box and instructions for this baby!
If anyone is interested in buying this thing? It looks freakin' awesome, full set, just need to replace the elastics.

Not entirely sure what I'm going to do with the stuff, though I'll try to fix up as many of the sets as I can. If any of you would like me to favour assembling one or another, lemme know. Have some time off coming up.

More than likely once I get these built, I might consider selling the things if anyone is interested. Depends on how well I can finish them off, though - undoubtedly a few parts have vanished here and there. Gonna focus on getting the Castle, Workshop and Hideout built first.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 7, 2011

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

DarkDobe posted:

Wizard's house - the folding open/closed one
- If any of you remember this set or the name of it? Would love to see the instructions again.
Majisto's Magical Workshop?

quote:

Wild west mine/outpost of some sort? With collapsing staircase.
Have the instructions but not the name.
Bandit's Secret Hideout.
I had that Bandit's hideout set. It was one of my favorites.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Flavor Bear posted:

Majisto's Magical Workshop?

Heck yes that's the one! Thank you!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I want to design my own Technic supercar (or buggy or truck or whatever) that I can reliably drive with motors and my IR remote. The design of the vehical itself I might be able to handle, but the actual driving and steering mechanics are still beyond me. Is there a website that shows good examples of these mechanics, to give me an idea on how to build this?

Edit: I think I'm going to use this. And I also want to modify the remote, though I think I don't have the very first part that is shown in the instructions

Edit2: Crap in a hat, I don't have the right gear differential piece. I have the one with only one gear on it, not two.

Revol fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 7, 2011

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DarkDobe posted:

Hurricane Harbor

This is so Miami Vice it hurts.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I have had a successful hunt for Series 5 figs today. They came out here last week, and I picked up four at random - but managed to get two the same (so 3 different ones). That visit to Smiths gave me a £5 off voucher, so I bought 10 more today and got two the same again (so 9 different).

Quite pleased, as I'm only four short of a full set - graduate, cave girl, gangster and zookeeper...although a tad sad, because I really wanted a graduate and a gangster!

But I was fairly pleased to scoop 9 different ones out of 10 today!

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
Nice one.
I've yet to see any series 5, although the local Tesco was nice enough to tell me they had them but would only put them out once the rest of their series 4 had sold.
Sadly since they still have a box and a half out, and it seems no one locally is buying them I may have to wait a while.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Phy posted:

At last, I can make an X-Files diorama.

Also, a whole team of baseball greys.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

I suddenly have a desire to go and get a bunch more baseball players before the S3 figs disappear.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

:colbert: Fine. When do I get my Jesse Ventura and Alex Trebek minifigs?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

:colbert: Fine. When do I get my Jesse Ventura and Alex Trebek minifigs?
Hey, he just *looked* like Alex Trebek.

I got a hazmat uy minifig off ebay to put on my work desk since it's work-related. I'm sure I overpaid, but I'm lazy.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Well I just found about 100lbs of Lego for sale in bulk. The seller listed the sets included, and even using the minimum used price on bricklink, it's worth about 750$ used, so I think I'm going to take it up. Of course I'll try and bargain him down a bit. His sale price is pretty much 3$ a pound, but I'm going to try and take him down to 2.50$ :devil:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
100 pounds of Legos? Holy poo poo :stare:

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Trip Report: The Indianapolis LEGO Store's Pick a Brick wall is much bigger than the one at the Chicago Southbridge store, but the selection's fairly basic. I did pick up a bunch of these in the sweet Navy Blue, and these and these in white. Minifigs seem to still be Series 4.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

CADPAT posted:

Well I just found about 100lbs of Lego for sale in bulk. The seller listed the sets included, and even using the minimum used price on bricklink, it's worth about 750$ used, so I think I'm going to take it up. Of course I'll try and bargain him down a bit. His sale price is pretty much 3$ a pound, but I'm going to try and take him down to 2.50$ :devil:

If he's posted on craigslist, you better hurry, because lots that well-priced vanish, fast. You may even wind up getting into a bidding war instead of trying to haggle.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

Click these links for suggestions of awesome sets, some may be outside your price range though.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496&userid=58047#post381557721
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496&userid=58047#post381560636

I would say buying a Galactic Mediator from Bricklink would be your best bet. That thing is a wonderful set and it's absolutely gigantic and makes a great display piece, too. But in my opinion, the cream of the crop is the Mega Core Magnetizer.

Thanks, the Galactic Mediator looks perfect. Just ordered it.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Pyroclastic posted:

If he's posted on craigslist, you better hurry, because lots that well-priced vanish, fast. You may even wind up getting into a bidding war instead of trying to haggle.
Well, it's not on the Ottawa Craigslist, I can tell you that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, looking at the Galactic Mediator picture makes me realize just how out of print it really is, a huge amount of the parts in it aren't even made anymore. The rockets of all kinds, the cockpits(and cockpit canopies too I believe), those Aggro Crag Chunk-like things, the prison hatches, many of the 45-degree angle fin things, I don't think they still make those arrow-shaped panel-wedge pieces anymore with the little fin sticking off the side(I always hated those because they lack the little gaps you get nowadays in most angled panels that let you lay them flat on other panels), I don't think they still make those "camera" pieces, the one that there are two of on top of the two thin fins on the back, do they?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 8, 2011

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

BrainWeasel posted:

I did pick up a bunch of these in the sweet Navy Blue

The Orlando PAB wall had these exact piece/color too, I got a few handfuls of them. Kinda useless, though, when you have none the regular slopes to go along with these.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, looking at the Galactic Mediator picture makes me realize just how out of print it really is, a huge amount of the parts in it aren't even made anymore. The rockets of all kinds

The 2x2 with the fins hasn't been seen since '98 (strangely, in a Belville set, as chair legs). The smooth and grooved rockets have both been used inside the last year.

quote:

the cockpits(and cockpit canopies too I believe),

Cockpit was last used in '99 and the canopy in a 2002 Alpha Team set. They've phased out the flat hinges entirely, too.

quote:

those Aggro Crag Chunk-like things,

quote:

the prison hatches

quote:

many of the 45-degree angle fin things, I don't think they still make those arrow-shaped panel-wedge pieces anymore with the little fin sticking off the side(I always hated those because they lack the little gaps you get nowadays in most angled panels that let you lay them flat on other panels),

The large and small left/right wings haven't been used since 2004. It looks like they've been entirely replaced by the fin-less ones. I loved the finned ones.

quote:

I don't think they still make those "camera" pieces, the one that there are two of on top of the two thin fins on the back, do they?

Sure have. Several sets in the past few years have used them, and the Droid Tri-Fighter had 15(!).

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Revol posted:

The Orlando PAB wall had these exact piece/color too, I got a few handfuls of them. Kinda useless, though, when you have none the regular slopes to go along with these.

Now beginning Mission: Towers Everywhere.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Am I the only one who hates these drat hinges?

They're so flimsy and never stay connected under pressure, is there a way to cement them in (or a better alternative)?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pyroclastic posted:

usage stuff

Huh, I hadn't seen anything use the smooth or grooved rockets. How about that.

Interesting info on the rest of the stuff, though. I know they phased the flat hinge pieces out due to the small hinge parts weakening over time, and I wager the 2x2 rocket was phased out due to the fins breaking, which isn't really difficult to do.

As for the 45-degree angle fins, those are different from the panels, I meant the ones that act as the "tailfins" for the ship as well as the two smaller ones to either side with the "cameras" on them.

Lizard Combatant posted:

They're so flimsy and never stay connected under pressure, is there a way to cement them in (or a better alternative)?

They are annoying, but I like them because they aren't impossible to take apart once put together, like some part combinations. Handy for when you want to color theme something. They're not designed to support a lot of weight anyways, they're more for small moving parts or angled panels.

Speaking of angled panels, how about this for an obnoxious piece of poo poo? This is one of my most loathed pieces.

It's just a horrible design. Trying to use most parts on the first or fifth stud, if you're putting anything near it, results in conflict. It's no wonder they stopped using it in 1998.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 8, 2011

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Captain Invictus posted:

They are annoying, but I like them because they aren't impossible to take apart once put together, like some part combinations. Handy for when you want to color theme something. They're not designed to support a lot of weight anyways, they're more for small moving parts or angled panels.

I should have been more precise, I don't mean the hinge connection itself but rather the base. As soon as you try and move the hinged section, the entire piece always comes off the model. Is there another way to lock the base section into the model?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Some of the really old ones I've found don't stick as well to newer blocks, I'm guessing they warp ever so slightly over decades. Are the ones you have old?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Well I've finished rebuilding my Black Knight's Castle.
Surprisingly enough the only brick missing was a 1x8 Black Block - easily enough replaced with 2 1x4's.
Most frustratingly, I'm missing all of my Knight minifigs >_<
I have spacemen, city men, underwater men, aliens, wild west dudes and everything inbetween, but my knights are ALL mia. The most I found was the Wolfpack prisoner dude's head and hat. Oh and the ghost! At least he can haunt the empty castle and the disembodied head in the dungeon.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

As for the 45-degree angle fins, those are different from the panels, I meant the ones that act as the "tailfins" for the ship as well as the two smaller ones to either side with the "cameras" on them.

Ahh, the tails. The large stanchion with the 2x4 base has been used as recently as 2008, so it's still around. The 1x4 fin as recently as 2007, but the small fins on the side of the Mediator, up by the cockpit, haven't been used since 2001. I'm guessing they've discontinued it because it wasn't a 'standard' system connection, in that it only fit between the studs.

Of course, I'm sure Lego could technically pull any mold they've ever used out of storage to make pieces if they really wanted to.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Captain Invictus posted:

Some of the really old ones I've found don't stick as well to newer blocks, I'm guessing they warp ever so slightly over decades. Are the ones you have old?

Brand new. They're not terrible, just annoying.

I wish they'd make a piece similar to this:

Something that you can reinforce.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

toochilled posted:

Nice one. I've yet to see any series 5, although the local Tesco was nice enough to tell me they had them but would only put them out once the rest of their series 4 had sold. Sadly since they still have a box and a half out, and it seems no one locally is buying them I may have to wait a while.

Yeah our Tesco has loads and loads left so it could be a while. Fortunately I went to the Discovery Center on the weekend (it's pretty lame but the kid and I have annual passes so we swing by every few weeks) and they had them out. Dinosaur suit guy (awesome), Mafia guy (really cool, great face and torso), Clown (eh) and Snowboarder (Hooray! I mean double eh).

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

.jpg fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 9, 2015

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Heading to the Lego store in Dallas TX this weekend hoping to score some S5 mini figs. Also hoping I can get a ton of base plates for a good price to help decorate my soon to be babies room in the lego stuff I want, though I'm thinking prices might be a tad high.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Lizard Combatant posted:

I wonder if Lego will ever do a 'reboot' of this piece, they have made new hinges and connectors that are similar in dimensions to old ones but stronger and sturdier.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Back to the S6 Alien for a moment, are there any existing figs with short grey legs?
A cursory search didn't turn up anything, but I'm sure there's an ewok or dwarf out there with them...

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Lizard Combatant posted:

Back to the S6 Alien for a moment, are there any existing figs with short grey legs?
I have a pair of short light grey legs, so there must be. I think I got them from Bricklink, though, so no idea which figure they were from.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dame Cook posted:

I have a pair of short light grey legs, so there must be. I think I got them from Bricklink, though, so no idea which figure they were from.

Yeah, I've found the # and now I'm trawling through the listings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah, I've found the # and now I'm trawling through the listings.

Yeah, it's available in more sets than you'd think. Bunches available for sale too.