Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Kerbtree posted:

Wot, no Look & Read and the Uncle Jack adaptions?

Ah, Uncle Jack. Better known as "that programme that made your mum go 'Hang on, is that him from Manfred Mann?' every single drat time it was on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Since people are identifying childrens TV from the 90s does anyone know the name of this series:

It was a horror/drama involving a large green monster made of some sort of green fluff, which was also found in the trees. It was defiantly live action and i'm certain it was aired before 1997, since i have vivid memories of watching Aquilla and only vague ones of watching this. I'm almost certain it was BBC and not ITV though not 100%

Any ideas?

Also anyone remember The Girl from Tomorrow?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

HERAK posted:

Since people are identifying childrens TV from the 90s does anyone know the name of this series:

It was a horror/drama involving a large green monster made of some sort of green fluff, which was also found in the trees. It was defiantly live action and i'm certain it was aired before 1997, since i have vivid memories of watching Aquilla and only vague ones of watching this. I'm almost certain it was BBC and not ITV though not 100%

Green tree things...was it a Creeper? Could have been The Demonheadmaster series 2.

Skimming through YouTube...Look and Read was weird I'm not sure what anything was about in Through the Dragon's Eye, but Charn was one scary fucker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6MQWIPHhsk#t=2m

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Green tree things...was it a Creeper? Could have been The Demonheadmaster series 2.

This is what I first thought of as well.

Cause of this thread I've now found all the Demon Headmaster on youtube and am being forced into binging through that as well :argh:

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Could be, i'll need to re-watch that but the dates seem wrong to me. It's not as if ive got much better to do atm.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

HERAK posted:

Any ideas?

People were turned into a giant green monster made from foam and stuff in Uncle Jack in Operation Green?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Anyone else here use to watch Delta Wave on CITV in the mid-90s? Two kids with psi-powers and a female scientist called Munro. Mentioning it is usually really good if I need to demonstrate the concept of a blank look.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Kerbtree posted:

People were turned into a giant green monster made from foam and stuff in Uncle Jack in Operation Green?

Thanks, I think that's it. Now to track down some video to see if it is as mad/scary as my hazy memories say it was.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Kerbtree posted:

Wot, no [...] Uncle Jack adaptions?

Ah thank you! I've been trying to remember what that was called for ages - knew it had 'Uncle' in the title somewhere. All I could remember though, was a monster covered in green moss or something. Very hard to find YouTubes of it.

edit: OK, so didn't read this page - seems there's quite a few people who remember that show.

quote:

That's another one I couldn't remember. I remember asking before, but as soon as I said 'kid's program' and 'time travel' the suggestion was always 'Tomorrow People'.

Carpet fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 7, 2011

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
Is it the one with a big clock in a shopping centre, austrian?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rarity posted:

This is what I first thought of as well.

Cause of this thread I've now found all the Demon Headmaster on youtube and am being forced into binging through that as well :argh:

The first half-series wasn't great, but I had an amazing realization while watching The Prime-Ministers Brain.

The opening credits/incidental music is the EXACT same music used during the Octopus Dare game. The TV program is hypnotising the viewers. This is genius.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Carpet posted:

Ah thank you! I've been trying to remember what that was called for ages - knew it had 'Uncle' in the title somewhere. All I could remember though, was a monster covered in green moss or something. Very hard to find YouTubes of it.

edit: OK, so didn't read this page - seems there's quite a few people who remember that show.

That's another one I couldn't remember. I remember asking before, but as soon as I said 'kid's program' and 'time travel' the suggestion was always 'Tomorrow People'.

Born in the mid-80s as well? ;)

I was always a fan of the Australian shows, round the twist was another favourite as well.

I remember Escape from Jupiter fondly, and realised that i had this on my bookshelf

Not a bad book from what i remember.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I'm hoping against hope that someone, somehow gets their arse in gear and releases the whole series of 'Round The Bend' on DVD. That was, cartoons aside, my favourite kids TV show of all time

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Bodger and Badger is the greatest. Whoever thought up a theme tune that's both very catchy, and easy for small children to literally scream, was a loving genius.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Skimming through YouTube...Look and Read was weird I'm not sure what anything was about in Through the Dragon's Eye, but Charn was one scary fucker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6MQWIPHhsk#t=2m

Oh god, I LOVED Through the Dragon's Eye. Charn was loving horrifying and Boris, Noris and Doris were the best things in the world when I was seven. I was devastated when Doris died. I have vivid memories of sitting on the carpet in the school library watching it, and then playing it on the playground at lunchtime. Gorwen was stuck inside a tree and my friends and I had to rescue him :saddowns:

e: apparently he was called Morris, and he was the one who died? I don't even know any more. My memories are broken.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Paperhouse posted:

Aquila owns, me and a few friends watched it all again recently and it's still great fun

The worst thing about that show is that it ended right as they found the mothership. I mean that's a fantastic premise for a sci-fi show, 'All this cool and crazy stuff that we've been doing, has been done in a scout ship?'

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

UnquietDream posted:

The worst thing about that show is that it ended right as they found the mothership. I mean that's a fantastic premise for a sci-fi show, 'All this cool and crazy stuff that we've been doing, has been done in a scout ship?'

Yeah, Aquila was awesome and the ending was the ultimate tease.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm hoping against hope that someone, somehow gets their arse in gear and releases the whole series of 'Round The Bend' on DVD. That was, cartoons aside, my favourite kids TV show of all time

Round the Bend was fantastic, but I also just thought of that Australian show from the 90s, Round The Twist, which was the creepiest kids 'drama' I've ever seen.

A quick youtubing has taught me that Demon Headmaster has the creepiest theme music ever, and The Queen's Nose sounds like it should be in front of Jonathan Creek or something.

Also Animals of Farthing Wood was the best kids show.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

delicious beef posted:

Also Animals of Farthing Wood was the best kids show.

And really loving depressing when you go back and read/watch it. But it was totally awesome.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs

delicious beef posted:

Round the Bend was fantastic, but I also just thought of that Australian show from the 90s, Round The Twist, which was the creepiest kids 'drama' I've ever seen.

I've got all the series of Round the Twist on dvd because it was amazing. I'll never forget the episode when the little kid was jealous because the other kids could piss over the wall and he couldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvL3ccndU_c

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I've been rewatching jonathan creek recently. They're all pretty much the same, some dude gets killed in a locked room, and sometimes the explanation is a little hokey, but it's still pretty good. Round The Twist has weird editing and character reactions giving the whole thing a bit of a sinister air.

When there's nothing on in 2011 at least we can remember the nineties.

edit: Shooting Stars is back tonight.

justcola fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 8, 2011

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

lazyjane posted:

I've got all the series of Round the Twist on dvd because it was amazing. I'll never forget the episode when the little kid was jealous because the other kids could piss over the wall and he couldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvL3ccndU_c

I remember loving Round the Twist but I only really remember a few stories. The cat hat one, the hypnosis one, the kiss-me lipstick one. How much of it actually was there?

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

BeeZee142 posted:

And really loving depressing when you go back and read/watch it. But it was totally awesome.

Absolutely. I watched it a few years ago and it's just brutal: animals getting killed off every other episode. Here's part of a synopsis for an episode in the first series:

quote:

The animals have reached the fence, but are unable to continue resting due to the slight shower of rain. Toad, however, finds a dry, warm barn for the animals to sleep in and the entire group leaves the army land and enters the nearby farm land. Fox is, at first, worried about their close proximately to humans but Kestrel, Owl and Mr. Pheasant all vow to take turns watching-out for people from a plum tree. However, that night when Pheasant is too busy sleeping, his wife volunteers to take his job, only to result in her being seen and shot by the Farmer (with his dog, Bruno).

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_Point_Lighthouse

There's your Round The Twist lighthouse.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Atomic Dog posted:

Absolutely. I watched it a few years ago and it's just brutal: animals getting killed off every other episode. Here's part of a synopsis for an episode in the first series:

And when they had to cross a busy road and Mr Hedgehog got scared and rolled up into a ball and Mrs Hedgehog tried to make him carry on but a car came and ran them over :( And the voles and mice left the group in a huff for some reason and everyone found them later all killed and impaled on thorns by a shrike :(

Man, that show was my favourite as a kid, I don't know how it didn't traumatise me.

e: I do remember being absolutely devastated in one of the later series when Mole and Badger died. Oh god and Badger ended up going senile and never even found out that Mole had died and just thought his little son Mossy was Mole :(

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 8, 2011

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I still do a spot on weasel laugh, when done properly it can send nearby friends of a certain age into a nostalgic coma.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

eating only apples posted:

And when they had to cross a busy road and Mr Hedgehog got scared and rolled up into a ball and Mrs Hedgehog tried to make him carry on but a car came and ran them over :( And the voles and mice left the group in a huff for some reason and everyone found them later all killed and impaled on thorns by a shrike :(

Man, that show was my favourite as a kid, I don't know how it didn't traumatise me.

e: I do remember being absolutely devastated in one of the later series when Mole and Badger died. Oh god and Badger ended up going senile and never even found out that Mole had died and just thought his little son Mossy was Mole :(

Even though I subscribed to the Animals of Farthing Wood magazine as a kid, the only bit I remember now is Fox getting swept away on the river. Godammit, I think I'm about to go for another nostalgia binge :arghfist::(

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Rarity posted:

Even though I subscribed to the Animals of Farthing Wood magazine as a kid, the only bit I remember now is Fox getting swept away on the river. Godammit, I think I'm about to go for another nostalgia binge :arghfist::(

You should probably be thankful you never read The Fox Cub Bold. It was big-time :smith:. Some of the other books were pretty rough, too - I'm sure there was one about a really harsh winter, and wolves turned up and animals froze/starved to death.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Oh dear, I just watched Superheroes of Suburbia and I have never laughed so hard in my life. I feel so ashamed (The Dark Spartan is the best one)

Seriously considering creating an arch nemesis for these guys just to cheer them up a bit :ohdear: poor dears

Wormophile fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 8, 2011

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Anyone just watch shooting stars? Am I just immature or something or is that not the funniest program on telly ever.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've not always found it hilarious but god drat that episode had me in stitches. Weirdly, only 2 of the 6 panelists ever said anything.
Back onto children's telly of yore: I went out and bought the DVD for the Box of Delights and was stunned that I had apparently made up a good portion of the plot/symbolism. I still prefer my version.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Graviton v2 posted:

Anyone just watch shooting stars? Am I just immature or something or is that not the funniest program on telly ever.
it's sometimes a bit hit and miss but when it's good it's fantastic

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
More Look and Read - Through the Dragon's Eye chat. Charn really was loving terrifying. I think the fact his costume looked so much better than the rubbish giant mouse and plasticy dragon helped make him feel like a real threat, well that and it's loving creepy even now.

(I'm sure I had a screen cap of the bit where he leans over and strokes the girl's face with his claw/nail things. loving horrific. Couldn't find it though, couldn't be bothered to take another one.)

I tried watching it with my three and a half year old nephew recently. I think I might have scarred him for life. Obviously too young for it really, but I thought it might be colourful enough to hold his attention.

I've got a feeling that Borris and his flying cricket bat was my absolute hero for 10 weeks when I was 7ish.

Some of the education word choices are a bit questionable though. Is "quagmire" really a common enough word to use as your main example of "qu-"?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Shooting Stars is always best when they have American stars who have no idea what the show is about and look confused throughout.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ben Soosneb posted:

Some of the education word choices are a bit questionable though. Is "quagmire" really a common enough word to use as your main example of "qu-"?

But..but...how else will kids know not to get quelled?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Shelf Adventure posted:

Shooting Stars is always best when they have American stars who have no idea what the show is about and look confused throughout.

I like to think it's pitched to them as something like QI

Then they just don't know what the gently caress.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Didn't the guy who played JR or something fire his agent after he went on and tried to plug his book.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I think I'm liking Angelos Epithemou more than George Dawes now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's some Round the Bend on YouTube, but don't watch it if you want it to remain awesome in your mind (it's really not good in hindsight, a shame because I loved it).

Im trying to persuade the Americans in the general TV thread to watch Shooting Stars, feel free to back me up. Last nights episode was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The pHo posted:

There's some Round the Bend on YouTube, but don't watch it if you want it to remain awesome in your mind (it's really not good in hindsight, a shame because I loved it).

I don't remember Round the Bend at all, but trying to youtube somehow brought up Zzzsp. Now that was a quality show I had completely forgotten about.