Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

toxicsunset posted:

There's so man penguins fans on these forums yet no pittsburgh hockey goons. Such bullshit

I think there are like 3-4 total, I forget who else though, just remember them posting.

Vital Signs posted:

Doesn't your league have eligibility rules because of this kind of thing? I think in our league it's like you have to play 1/4 of the games to make playoffs. We had a really good player join our team late and he played every game for the last couple of weeks, and he was one shy of making it into the playoffs.

I guess the most you can do is challenge the player if your league has that as a rule. I know in ours if you challenge them, they check the signatures on the sign in sheets and the players drivers license. Guess it really doesnt matter if someone happened to sign them in for games they werent there just so they get counted as a game played. You get a 2 min penalty if they are eligable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

dms666 posted:

I guess the most you can do is challenge the player if your league has that as a rule. I know in ours if you challenge them, they check the signatures on the sign in sheets and the players drivers license. Guess it really doesnt matter if someone happened to sign them in for games they werent there just so they get counted as a game played. You get a 2 min penalty if they are eligable though.
Right. Which it seemed like bukowskiyouth's league doesn't have the rule of needing to play fairly regularly in the regular season to make the playoffs, which is how it should be.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Vital Signs posted:

Doesn't your league have eligibility rules because of this kind of thing? I think in our league it's like you have to play 1/4 of the games to make playoffs. We had a really good player join our team late and he played every game for the last couple of weeks, and he was one shy of making it into the playoffs.

My league requires you to sign in on this sheet so people just sign in as ringers and you will see something like Mr. Ringer will have 6 games played(the amount you need to make the playoffs) with no points and suddenly they score a ton during the playoffs.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Vital Signs posted:

Right. Which it seemed like bukowskiyouth's league doesn't have the rule of needing to play fairly regularly in the regular season to make the playoffs, which is how it should be.

My league has that, but they don't check it nearly close enough. I think out of a 7 game season, you need to play 3 games? Could be more but seriously they don't check anything so I doubt they ever catch anyone bringing on ringers just for playoffs.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

poser posted:

My league requires you to sign in on this sheet so people just sign in as ringers and you will see something like Mr. Ringer will have 6 games played(the amount you need to make the playoffs) with no points and suddenly they score a ton during the playoffs.

Verman posted:

My league has that, but they don't check it nearly close enough. I think out of a 7 game season, you need to play 3 games? Could be more but seriously they don't check anything so I doubt they ever catch anyone bringing on ringers just for playoffs.
The dude in charge of the league at both of your rinks sucks then. I'm playing at a rink near by while I'm in college, and this rink is a lot more strict then my hometown rink. However, I could see where people get signed in a lot and never actually play... and I'm sure it probably even happens where I play. I just really don't understand this, as who the gently caress cares that much about beer league to cheat.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Vital Signs posted:

The dude in charge of the league at both of your rinks sucks then. I'm playing at a rink near by while I'm in college, and this rink is a lot more strict then my hometown rink. However, I could see where people get signed in a lot and never actually play... and I'm sure it probably even happens where I play. I just really don't understand this, as who the gently caress cares that much about beer league to cheat.

My league has 130 teams and over 2000 people in the league, kinda hard to have every roster on lock down.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sba posted:

Just FYI I think I'm watching your playoff game right now on rink 1.

:psyduck:

I am so sorry you had to sit through Auburn Alehouse comedy hour (and a half).

Did you see their last goal? It was the one that put them up 8-3. Apparently, dude put his stick between his legs and rode it past our bench after he scored. I think I had my head down at the time. I would have seriously considered punching him in the cage from the bench as he rode by if I would have seen it.

Ringer rant:
We played that same team a month or so ago, and trounced them 6-1. Last night, did you notice that 1/3 of their team didn't have proper jerseys? And pretty much all of those guys could, and did skate right through our whole team and score? Yeah, they didn't play last time. Word on the street is that a few of them borrowed jerseys, or someone used theirs to get their # of games up during the regular season.

This is why I loving hate playoffs at Skatetown. Literally every team except us (honestly... we had a full bench so we didn't need any of our subs) bring down a platoon of Silver league players for the playoffs. That's how the Crossovers won the last 2 championships, and I'm sure they'll be doing it again. It's such a crock of poo poo and honestly ruins most of the fun. I wish the director actually gave a poo poo. They really need to start checking IDs for all games.

:sigh:

Enough ringer rant. I don't want to put all the blame on that, because we totally fell apart. We were up 3-1 halfway through the second, so we could have won the game if we kept our heads in it. Our passes started getting really sloppy and our breakout went to poo poo. I felt all I was doing the whole game was sprinting back to our defensive zone chasing their fast breaks. That poo poo got exhausting after doing it every shift.

Oh well, we had a good season. Too bad we can't win in the playoffs, much like the Sharks.

Vital Signs posted:

I just really don't understand this, as who the gently caress cares that much about beer league to cheat.

You'd be surprised.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

poser posted:

My league has 130 teams and over 2000 people in the league, kinda hard to have every roster on lock down.
Where in the flying gently caress do you play that has 130 teams? They should probably split that up into different leagues.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Did you see their last goal? It was the one that put them up 8-3. Apparently, dude put his stick between his legs and rode it past our bench after he scored. I think I had my head down at the time. I would have seriously considered punching him in the cage from the bench as he rode by if I would have seen it.

Ringer rant:
We played that same team a month or so ago, and trounced them 6-1. Last night, did you notice that 1/3 of their team didn't have proper jerseys? And pretty much all of those guys could, and did skate right through our whole team and score? Yeah, they didn't play last time. Word on the street is that a few of them borrowed jerseys, or someone used theirs to get their # of games up during the regular season.

This is why I loving hate playoffs at Skatetown. Literally every team except us (honestly... we had a full bench so we didn't need any of our subs) bring down a platoon of Silver league players for the playoffs. That's how the Crossovers won the last 2 championships, and I'm sure they'll be doing it again. It's such a crock of poo poo and honestly ruins most of the fun. I wish the director actually gave a poo poo. They really need to start checking IDs for all games.

Enough ringer rant. I don't want to put all the blame on that, because we totally fell apart. We were up 3-1 halfway through the second, so we could have won the game if we kept our heads in it. Our passes started getting really sloppy and our breakout went to poo poo. I felt all I was doing the whole game was sprinting back to our defensive zone chasing their fast breaks. That poo poo got exhausting after doing it every shift.

Oh well, we had a good season. Too bad we can't win in the playoffs, much like the Sharks.

You'd be surprised.
I'm not surprised at all by it happening, as I know how competitive some people are. I guess the correct word is that it just makes me sad. Your rant about the dude doing a celebration for a 8th goal in a blow out is probably my biggest pet peeve. Just like the guys who go go the length of the ice and then attempt a stupid loving move on you when they are up by a handful of goals. Congratulations your moves work better in non checking, until I check you anyways because you're a loving bitch. Well worth time in the box. Winning is one thing, but attempting the embarrass the other team late in the third is not wise.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 8, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Vital Signs posted:

Where in the flying gently caress do you play that has 130 teams? They should probably split that up into different leagues.

130 teams, 17 divisions, biggest adult hockey league west of the Mississippi:whatup:*

* League is so huge because we have like 2 rinks to play at:smith:

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

poser posted:

130 teams, 17 divisions, biggest adult hockey league west of the Mississippi:whatup:*

* League is so huge because we have like 2 rinks to play at:smith:
Is it like the only one in the area? In my area hockey is pretty big, so a lot of guys play in 2-4 different rinks in different leagues. I guess if all those rinks within an hour drive teamed up into one league, the numbers would be that big.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Vital Signs posted:

Is it like the only one in the area? In my area hockey is pretty big, so a lot of guys play in 2-4 different rinks in different leagues. I guess if all those rinks within an hour drive teamed up into one league, the numbers would be that big.

Its in San Jose and we have a few rinks about 20-40 miles away but they are all terrible. The rink has 4 sheets and is owned by the Sharks.

polydizzle
Sep 13, 2004

poser posted:

Its in San Jose and we have a few rinks about 20-40 miles away but they are all terrible. The rink has 4 sheets and is owned by the Sharks.

The best part about this is its San Jose!! No one would guess that in a million years.

bukowskiyouth
Sep 25, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

Technically you're supposed to have played 5 games out of 12 with the team to play in the playoffs, which is the reason we didn't use some of our ringers. But it's really more of an honor system thing because the league will only investigate it if someone complains and you get them to show ID. I don't think anyone on my team really cares too much to complain anyways. It's all just for fun, right?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Henrik Zetterberg: One thing you could suggest to the director is put a stop to allowing teams from bringing in subs from the Silver division.

At Sharks Ice, they've somewhat put a clamp down on ringers in the lower divisions. Basically if you're playing in one of the higher leagues, you cannot play in the lower divisions or you (or your captain) will be suspended. I have noticed that it's actually working. This season has been far better in terms of that and there's less of the "coast to coast Derek Roy shitheads (what up, sba?)" out there.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Henrik Zetterberg: One thing you could suggest to the director is put a stop to allowing teams from bringing in subs from the Silver division.

At Sharks Ice, they've somewhat put a clamp down on ringers in the lower divisions. Basically if you're playing in one of the higher leagues, you cannot play in the lower divisions or you (or your captain) will be suspended. I have noticed that it's actually working. This season has been far better in terms of that and there's less of the "coast to coast Derek Roy shitheads (what up, sba?)" out there.

Where you playing next season?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Ringer rant:

You'd be surprised.

I only watched a little bit while I was waiting for Topo's game to start on the other rink. I am pretty sure I picked you out easily (big tall dude skating with a limp wearing #40)...Saw the first 3 goals...definitely noticed the ringers out there. Yeah, not sure how I feel about Roseville, after watching her game I was ready to jump out there and smack someone. Lots of dudes acting like total retards out there.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
In my summer league they didn't get a lot of signups for upper divisions so they threw everyone (except the A division) together. My team was cobbled together from free agents and we have like 4 or 5 coast-to-coast dangler types which actually sucks because they'll zoom in alone and deke out 2-3 guys while running all over the offensive zone before losing the puck around the blue line and giving up an odd-man rush back towards our end. If they would just put pucks on net instead of trying to deke everyone out of their shorts I swear we'd score 4x as many goals.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Where you playing next season?

I think we're going to move up to EE. I'm enjoying playing on this team I'm on now. We're all fairly decent, but we're focusing on learning how to play the game properly. Which means actually having faceoff plays and focusing on D-zone positioning and breakouts and what not. It's actually starting to come together, which is really cool.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sba posted:

I only watched a little bit while I was waiting for Topo's game to start on the other rink. I am pretty sure I picked you out easily (big tall dude skating with a limp wearing #40)...Saw the first 3 goals...definitely noticed the ringers out there. Yeah, not sure how I feel about Roseville, after watching her game I was ready to jump out there and smack someone. Lots of dudes acting like total retards out there.

Nah, I'm the short right-wing dude wearing #19 on Alehouse. With :siren: black/yellow :siren: gloves. #40 was on the Chupas and was the shithead who rode his stick after their 8th goal.

trilljester posted:

Our hockey director is a lazy piece of poo poo and literally doesn't care about anything other than collecting league fees. It would literally take a miracle for him to do anything to enforce these rules. When you have people swapping jerseys, it makes it well beyond the point of him possibly even thinking about caring.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 9, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

I think we're going to move up to EE. I'm enjoying playing on this team I'm on now. We're all fairly decent, but we're focusing on learning how to play the game properly. Which means actually having faceoff plays and focusing on D-zone positioning and breakouts and what not. It's actually starting to come together, which is really cool.

Nice, but having seen you play you could handle yourself in the D leagues no problem.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

Nice, but having seen you play you could handle yourself in the D leagues no problem.

I think I could hang in 5D, mayyybe 4D... above that though, I doubt it, I'm just not that fast enough on my skates yet. It'll come in time I'm sure. I probably will need to drink less beer and lose 15 pounds! hahahah

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone have any recommendations on pants?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

I wear these:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EQ3HP

I like the high tailbone protector. Helps when you fall on your rear end, which I have a tendency to do when trying crossovers from left to right.

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim

I bought new pants yesterday after having the same pair since my mid teens and it was a revelation that pants are actually kind of protective now. I bought these

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3722853

They are loose through the leg but I prefer the mobility to some of the super padded snug ones I tried.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

So we had a short bench Sunday night and decided to switch things around just for shits and grins. I swapped from D in the first to wing in the 2nd and 3rd... and had no idea what the hell I was doing. I think so much better defensively than I do as a forward (although my teammates kept telling me just get to the net and try to stuff it in, that's all you need to know, but I'm sure you forwards out there could give me more/better pointers than that). It's just a recreational house league and the games don't really count, so it's a good chance to get outside your comfort zone and try different positions. I may give the wing another shot sometime just for the hell of it, but I really prefer D when given the choice.

And just because I was feeling insane (or maybe masochistic?) I added a second league to go along with my Sunday night one. This second league is Tuesday nights. Early game is 9:10 PM, late game is 10:30 PM, and I think it rotates week to week which game you get. This is in addition to the two weekly learn-to-play/skills classes I do.

I am so in love with this sport it's ridiculous.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

I got some Bauer X:40 pants at the beginning of the summer, they're pretty nice. I feel very well padded. I guess the vapor line angles in a little bit at the spine protector, which takes a little getting used to:

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

My team was in danger of falling 0-8, and my hopes for the next 2 games aren't that high either, but we got our first win tonight........by forfeit! And not regular forfeit circumstances either, but rather some idiot on the other team took a baseball style sing at our goalie's head during the last 30 seconds, which led to a melee.

All their guys on the bench jumped onto the rink, whereas our team stayed on the bench. After separating things, the refs deemed their team to not have enough players to continue (clock had expired during the melee), and we won by forfeit even though the score was 11-5 in their favor.

So we're 1-7. Technically we still have a chance of going to the playoffs if we win the next 2 games...funny that way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tackla Tackla Tackla

You should get Tackla

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Wow. Is there anything worse than a tie? I didn't even know how to react. Nobody seemed to. Made worse by the fact that we had the go-ahead goal disallowed with a minute left in the game because the ref said the puck went under the net. The opposing teams goalie told us, afterwards, that it was a good goal too. drat.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I thought everywhere did shootouts now. Everywhere I've played has gone straight into a 3 or 5 round shootout at the end of a regulation tie.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

ManicJason posted:

I thought everywhere did shootouts now. Everywhere I've played has gone straight into a 3 or 5 round shootout at the end of a regulation tie.
We only started going to shootouts this season, up until now you simply got a tie and were pissed.

I also think my wife coming to my games is kryptonite for any chance of me scoring and/or getting a point. I had though it before but 2 weeks ago she wasn't there and I got 2 assists and was really loving productive. She and some other friends come this week to our game and they got to see me fall because our ice is poo poo, and then be the cause of 2 goals scored against us.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
We still do ties, and to me it always feels like a loss.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

3 round shootout here. Then one-by-one if tied after 3 shots each.

In playoffs, we get a 5-minute OT before the shootout.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
3 shooters then if its tied after that its tied, guess they cant bother to do as many more shooters as needed after that point, might as well if youre going to a shootout to begin with

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Vital Signs posted:

We still do ties, and to me it always feels like a loss.

It kind of did but at the same time, standings-wise, it was as good for us as a win so I dont know how to feel. Also we only do any kind of overtime/shootout in the playoffs

Edit: Also I got my 52 caliber and it fuckin owns

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

ManicJason posted:

When I was about 14 years old our game/OT/SO was taking too long to resolve itself so the league director decided the following. Each teams goaltender stands in their crease and shoots a puck (with their goal stick) at the opposing empty net. First one in wins. As you could imagine, it took awhile for some scrawny 14 year olds in goalie pads that NEVER handle a puck to get anywhere near a respectable shot. Worse than the in between period AHL "shoot the puck in an empty net to win a recliner game."

as you have probably guessed, this was roller. Shocking right?

If only there was some Iron Maiden on instead of "Lowrider."

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
If it was ice, you'd all still be there today.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

sellouts posted:

Tackla Tackla Tackla

You should get Tackla

This, my PROSTOCK Sharks pants were a bit snug after 2-3 games the "broke in" they were awesome.

poser fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 10, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

http://deadspin.com/5829748/get-to-know-a-comic-you-probably-dont-know-david-walton

Possibly the funniest and most true thing ever written on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just sent that out to my team. It's so true. Especially the parts about smelling terrible even after taking a shower and not being able to sleep for hours after you get home.

I love hockey.