Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jcp982
Apr 5, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

:golfclap:

It's still not as surreal as the Automatic Unlocking Device, though. When I first saw one I thought it would be some kind of single use blowtorch/acid pack/unobtanium sawblade to get past mechanical locks. Instead it's apparently a gizmo that, when you throw it at an electronic device, it automatically hacks it and then deactivates itself :psyduck:

The item's DLC only anyway, so I think it gets a little slack for being half baked.

There are a lot of practical issues in the game, starting with the batteries for takedowns. We'll see how it all comes together in the final product. Obviously, they put balance as a first priority and that trumps realism issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

DemonNick posted:

The sparks and stuff make it look like it's overloading the keypad or something. Dunno how that works for computers though.

The same way you could hack computers with EMPs in Alpha Protocol, presumably. You burn out the security systems and then rip out and read the hard drives. As a half-assed explanation I think it works if you don't think about it too hard.

Tapatio
Aug 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Carnival47 posted:

If that was true, then reviewers should have hated the Hitman franchise since the game falls apart if you go combat.

Hitman doesn't tout itself as being a Rambo game.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Neither does Human Revolution? It's not like Eidos Montreal is going out of its way to say "Hey, you should kill everyone you meet and we are going to give you so much ammo so you can do so." They want you to adapt to situations so that you can approach any given situation from any angle.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Anyone else find the mouse movement kind of off in the demo? What is it I'm feeling when I'm moving my cursor around? It's like some kind of resistance at first or something.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I played a gung-ho kill everything playthrough in the demo where I basically solved every single problem with bullets, and I never had a problem with ammo, even though I didn't even use the pistol. I guess I ran low on machine pistol ammo when rampaging through the police station but that was basically solved by using the mounds of assault rifle and shotgun ammo the game happily provided me. My biggest problem was literally trying to fit all the various guns in my inventory. Even if you do run out of ammo,these guys just sneak past a bunch of dudes and grab some of the copious amounts of ammo the game leaves lying around. Or use armblades. It's not like these guys don't have, you know, options or anything.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

:ssh: I never said this. :ssh:

I was actually talking about the way that PS3 mag review sounded to me, don't worry , not judging!

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Woozy posted:

DX3's inventory system is terribly dumb though and probably the one major gripe I have about the leak. They should have just given you X amount of space for clips and enemies drop whatever they didn't fire.

I haven't played the leak but is it different from the inventory system they had in DX1? I thought they were using the old system due to fan demand and everyone was happy with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

emoticon posted:

I haven't played the leak but is it different from the inventory system they had in DX1? I thought they were using the old system due to fan demand and everyone was happy with it.

It's set up the same classic inventory tetris way, but you have hacking software that takes inventory space, and ammo now takes slots instead of being its own spaceless quantity. And the inventory feels quite a bit smaller.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

It's set up the same classic inventory tetris way, but you have hacking software that takes inventory space, and ammo now takes slots instead of being its own spaceless quantity. And the inventory feels quite a bit smaller.

It's pretty small initially, but you can upgrade it to get a good bit larger.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Best OP I've ever seen, fantastic work Tecman!

So when Human Revolution was first announced I was extremely sceptical, "It'll suck" I thought, but wow, now I've gone and pre-ordered it. Everything I see & read about the game makes me like it more and more, the marketing people for this title deserve an award.

Only played a tiny bit of the leak as I don't wanna spoil it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jcp982 posted:

The item's DLC only anyway, so I think it gets a little slack for being half baked.

There are a lot of practical issues in the game, starting with the batteries for takedowns. We'll see how it all comes together in the final product. Obviously, they put balance as a first priority and that trumps realism issues.

No, it's not. You can buy them from black market dealers.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

KillHour posted:

No, it's not. You can buy them from black market dealers.

The leak already has all of the preorder DLC installed. We know that you can find AUDs in there.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 8, 2011

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I think the devs went a little overboard with the restrictions, honestly. The inventory does feel a little too small and the ammo does feel a little too scarce and the energy system makes lots of potential playstyles quite simply nonviable. I mean I really pity the guy who wants to use something like the cloaking aug or a non-pistol or non-assault rifle with any kind of regularity. Come on devs, this isn't Demon's Souls or Silent Hill. It's not a Survival Horror game. Such arbitrary restrictions don't really add to the experience in my opinion. For some reason with this game, if I have to leave some weapon behind or something, I don't think "wow what an interesting compromise I had to make just now," I just think "dammit I could have had fun with that weapon but I just don't have the room for it/know I'll only find like 5 rounds for it in the next 3 hours of gameplay."

I mean why even give us the option to have 5 or 6 energy pips if you're going to balance the game so we never have more than 2 pips filled at once? Why even put the machine pistol in the game if you're only going to give us enough ammo to kill 1 out of every 10 enemies we'll encounter with it because its ammo is so rare despite it not being able to kill more quickly than anything else, etc.?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

KillHour posted:

It's their new version of Multitools/Lockpicks. Except they both do the same thing. Also, the idea of having a floppy with a virus on it that can only be used once is retarded.

I think the idea is that they are actual hardware that burns itself out. Since they universally cripple ANY and all security systems, I just figure maybe whomever manufactures the stuff didn't care if it was 1 shot, over keeping the device undetectable, given there is basically not legitimate use for these things. Think of it like a porcelain gun. It gets through security, but isn't really designed to fire more than projectile.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Any word on how tough this is going to be on a PC? I'm wondering now whether to grab for PC or for Xbox 360, the way Witcher 2 performed on my "gaming PC" made me want to cry and has made me fearful of future PC game releases.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

GreatGreen posted:

I mean why even give us the option to have 5 or 6 energy pips if you're going to balance the game so we never have more than 2 pips filled at once? Why even put the machine pistol in the game if you're only going to give us enough ammo to kill 1 out of every 10 enemies we'll encounter with it because its ammo is so rare despite it not being able to kill more quickly than anything else, etc.?

If you only have enough ammo to kill 1 out of 10 enemies, you need to aim better, or look harder for ammo.

Plus I don't think you're meant to go on a murderous rampage like you're expecting. Just not that kind of game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

black.lion posted:

Any word on how tough this is going to be on a PC? I'm wondering now whether to grab for PC or for Xbox 360, the way Witcher 2 performed on my "gaming PC" made me want to cry and has made me fearful of future PC game releases.

I had a phenom II X3 720 @ 3.2, 8gb ddr, 1gb HD4890 and it ran consistently at like 60fps except for random moments when it dipped to like 30 or so, but I think that was because of it loading things up and it's a beta.

Though that's probably under dx9 and not dx11 because I don't have a DX11 card.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I had a phenom II X3 720 @ 3.2, 8gb ddr, 1gb HD4890 and it ran consistently at like 60fps except for random moments when it dipped to like 30 or so, but I think that was because of it loading things up and it's a beta.

Though that's probably under dx9 and not dx11 because I don't have a DX11 card.

Was that on normal/high graphics settings? I'm a graphics whore...

With an Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0 GHZ, Nvidia GTX 460M 1.5G, 8G DDR3, then, I should be balling (50+fps) at high-ish settings.... right?

...can you tell how timid I am about buying this for my PC?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

RichieWolk posted:

If you only have enough ammo to kill 1 out of 10 enemies, you need to aim better, or look harder for ammo.

Plus I don't think you're meant to go on a murderous rampage like you're expecting. Just not that kind of game.

I'm not just saying you can't play the game like it's CoD, I'm saying that with some weapons (like for example the automatic pistol) you might find something like 15 or 20 rounds total for it in multiple hours of gameplay, forcing you out of being able to use it even if you are conservative with your ammo.

I suppose you could just not use ammo at all, but again, why even carry the gun if that's the way you're going to play, and by extension, why even put the gun in the game in the first place?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 8, 2011

Neosuki
Jul 14, 2004

Tapatio posted:

Hitman doesn't tout itself as being a Rambo game.

Clearly I've been playing it wrong then. 'Silent Assassin' be damned. I'm going in like Leon.
:black101:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

jcp982 posted:

I dunno why they did the batteries for takedowns. I really miss the baton from the first game :(. If there were another way to melee knockout dudes I'd be happy but all I have is the stun gun (and plenty of ammo for it).

Also, is there a reason why only the first battery recharges? Why do you need an energy granola bar to charge the other batteries you have? Also, why does beer raise your max hp?

Anyone else also think the lighting is a bit strange? There are no shadows and the details on faces are more texture based than bump mapped and it all is weird looking. Overall I think the graphics are pretty good and consistent. It's just the faces of people and lack of shadows that are bothering me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

black.lion posted:

Was that on normal/high graphics settings? I'm a graphics whore...

With an Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0 GHZ, Nvidia GTX 460M 1.5G, 8G DDR3, then, I should be balling (50+fps) at high-ish settings.... right?

...can you tell how timid I am about buying this for my PC?

It was the max settings I could put on. I would have plopped on AA but it doesn't seem to want to work with ATI cards. Nvidia cards sounds like it works fine though w/r/t forcing AA

I don't know how powerful that cpu is in relation to mine as it's a mobile cpu but... I'd guess at least 50 on dx9. Your gpu can do dx11 whereas mine cannot.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It was the max settings I could put on. I would have plopped on AA but it doesn't seem to want to work with ATI cards. Nvidia cards sounds like it works fine though w/r/t forcing AA

I don't know how powerful that cpu is in relation to mine as it's a mobile cpu but... I'd guess at least 50 on dx9. Your gpu can do dx11 whereas mine cannot.

:bubblewoop:I love you:bubblewoop:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

GoldenNugget posted:

Also, why does beer raise your max hp?

It doesn't. Your max HP is 200. It's just that you only regenerate the first half of it.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

Anyone else also think the lighting is a bit strange? There are no shadows and the details on faces are more texture based than bump mapped and it all is weird looking. Overall I think the graphics are pretty good and consistent. It's just the faces of people and lack of shadows that are bothering me.

The lack of shadows weirds me out. Maybe it's a bug. It's obvious the mechanisms to draw shadows are there, since ocasionally you do see characters or other objects casting them. But most of the time they don't, and it looks like characters are sort of hovering above the floor. It seems kind of ridiculous given that Invisible War had dynamic shadows on everything and I think even the first Deus Ex at least had those blobs below people's feet.(that's something that annoys me with a number of modern games, if they can't afford full shadows they should at least give you shadow-blobs like we've had since the '90s...)

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 8, 2011

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Not to say this is specifically fixed, but apparently the lighting specifically was changed dramatically after the leaked build. There may still be problems but I wouldn't exactly pass judgement on the way the game looks based on the preview.

Deep Space Hitler
Apr 21, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

I'm not just saying you can't play the game like it's CoD, I'm saying that with some weapons (like for example the automatic pistol) you might find something like 15 or 20 rounds total for it in multiple hours of gameplay, forcing you out of being able to use it even if you are conservative with your ammo.

I suppose you could just not use ammo at all, but again, why even carry the gun if that's the way you're going to play, and by extension, why even put the gun in the game in the first place?

You might have a brain atrophy from listening to too much nickelback and playing too much cod

Playing the leak on Deus Ex I never had trouble finding plenty of ammo for the machine pistol. In fact the only weapons for which ammo was scarce were the crossbow and the rocket launcher. Take different approaches to different situations. The game isn't too hard as long as you take a brief moment to assess every situation before just running in like a moron with guns blazing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

jcp982 posted:

Takedowns requiring charges was a balance issue, I recall an interview discussing this, where they said it was simply way, way too easy (and boring) to cruise through a level and do non-lethal takedowns on every single enemy with no risk and no reason to use anything else.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
drat right it's easy, but it's also a lot of fun. I'm gonna cheat on my second playthrough and just run around taking down everybody.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
This deserves a loving post here too: Deus Ex HD texture mod 'New Vision' 1.0 released Go replay it. You know you want to.

Also, posting these (unfinished, though I'm unsure what to tweak) before evilmiera rips my head off: and

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Kiggles posted:

Not to say this is specifically fixed, but apparently the lighting specifically was changed dramatically after the leaked build. There may still be problems but I wouldn't exactly pass judgement on the way the game looks based on the preview.

that's good to know. I can't wait to see what's changed in the gold version. I got stuck with the non augmented version but hopefully I can buy all the dlc stuff afterwards like that gamestop specific mission.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Takedowns requiring charges was a balance issue, I recall an interview discussing this, where they said it was simply way, way too easy (and boring) to cruise through a level and do non-lethal takedowns on every single enemy with no risk and no reason to use anything else.

An easy fix for the takedown situation (without neutering the whole augmentation system altogether) would have been to give takedowns their own resource system separate from all the other augs' bioenergy supply. That way players could have all the fun they want with stuff like invisibility and nano vision and super speed, but no matter what, they'd only be able to do like one takedown every 5 or 6 minutes or something. Maybe later in the game you could have like 3 takedowns available, each with their own cooldown or something, I don't know. Adjust balance to taste. There. Problem solved.

The lore could have even been easy to make up, too. They could have said that the blades or just your arms in general need such a degree of power that they require their own energy system or whatever. Seems weird that they didn't do this, honestly.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 8, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

An easy fix for the takedown situation (without neutering the whole augmentation system altogether) would have been to give takedowns their own resource system separate from all the other augs' bioenergy supply. That way players could have all the fun they want with stuff like invisibility and nano vision and super speed, but no matter what, they'd only be able to do like one takedown every 5 or 6 minutes or something. Maybe later in the game you could have like 3 takedowns available, each with their own cooldown or something, I don't know. Adjust balance to taste. There. Problem solved.

The lore could have even been easy to make up, too. They could have said that the blades or just your arms in general need such a degree of power that they require their own energy system or whatever. Seems weird that they didn't do this, honestly.

Except the whole point of a melee system is that it should be (technically) an infinite way of taking down enemies, based on the risk of going toe-to-toe with them or sneaking up on them. Not to mention adding a secondary system for takedowns would make the game needlessly complicated.

The problem more or less lies with them having takedowns at all, since a melee system like the one in the first game left things somewhat balanced once you got melee/stealth augs. In this case it was all about style versus utility, and the flashier option won. I suppose it'll depend on if the system takes in newcomers if this will be a succesful idea or not.

Edit: And six minutes between takedowns would just kill the idea in its infancy.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 8, 2011

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.
How were you guys running out of ammo? The only really scarce ammo (in the leak) was for the magnum, rocket launcher, and the various types of explosives. Everything else was pretty common. (Hint: explore the environment more, there are secret stashes with ammo everywhere.)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

It doesn't help you only get single bullets from looting sometimes. The SMG for instance is impossible to use because finding ammo for it is so hard. Coupled with the fact that the stacks for ammunition other than the pistol are too low.

I really doubt the same low ammo drops will exist in the retail game. I'll be honestly surprised if looting a guy with SMG ammo doesn't give you a minimum of 15 bullets or so. Automatic weapons by their nature require a lot more ammo than semi-automatic weapons.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 8, 2011

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009
I hope they do something to up the difficulty in the final game. Even on the hardest setting is very easy to knock everybody out or headshot a room full of guys from the same spot without moving.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

How were you guys running out of ammo? The only really scarce ammo (in the leak) was for the magnum, rocket launcher, and the various types of explosives. Everything else was pretty common. (Hint: explore the environment more, there are secret stashes with ammo everywhere.)

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It doesn't help you only get single bullets from looting sometimes. The SMG for instance is impossible to use because finding ammo for it is so hard. Coupled with the fact that the stacks for ammunition other than the pistol are too low.

I really doubt the same low ammo drops will exist in the retail game. I'll be honestly surprised if looting a guy with SMG ammo doesn't give you a minimum of 15 bullets or so. Automatic weapons by their nature require a lot more ammo than semi-automatic weapons.

I found assault rifle ammo very sparse, but didn't really have an issue with finding stuff for the SMG.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
DX:HR has a UNATCO theme? I hope Jensen doesn't do something dumb like behead the Statue of Liberty with his sword arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Except the whole point of a melee system is that it should be (technically) an infinite way of taking down enemies, based on the risk of going toe-to-toe with them or sneaking up on them. Not to mention adding a secondary system for takedowns would make the game needlessly complicated.

The whole point of the melee system is to be able to deal with opponents quietly and without using ammo, the "cost" being not ammo but instead the effort of approaching the enemy unseen first. The system I proposed still allows that, just not at the expense of being able to do all your other cool aug stuff.

And needlessly complex? It's really not, unless you're talking about the type of gamer who also could not possibly comprehend how to deal with "needless complexity" in other areas like, say, if your character had to deal with health AND armor systems. How unfathomable.

You'd have three bars to keep track of. One life bar, one pip bar for all your augs, and one pip bar for your melee abilities. Make the 2nd pip bar look slightly different if it makes you feel better.

quote:

The problem more or less lies with them having takedowns at all, since a melee system like the one in the first game left things somewhat balanced once you got melee/stealth augs. In this case it was all about style versus utility, and the flashier option won. I suppose it'll depend on if the system takes in newcomers if this will be a successful idea or not.

You're right, style won out this time and Eidos Montreal's solution was to make style win out at the expense of all the augs. At least my solution would counter that a bit.

quote:

Edit: And six minutes between takedowns would just kill the idea in its infancy.

That's why I said "balance to taste." Make the cooldown short enough that it would be fun and usable but long enough not to be overpowered. I don't know how long that would be exactly but you get the point.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 8, 2011

• Locked thread