Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Since we're spreging about plot predictions, I predict the series will end with Syrio Forel surfing a dragon to save the day. It turns out he's someone's younger brother, was a steward before he was first sword of Braavos, and he liked to dress up as a woman and was more beautiful than Cersei whilst doing so. Also the reason Dany can't control her dragons is because you don't ride a dragon, you surf it. This ancient lore has been lost.

But seriously, the only thing about the plot I'm willing to predict for certain is that it's going to continue to build towards a crescendo of fantasy cliche and then someone will gently caress it up somehow over some stupid political bullshit and screw everyone over. Probably the Others will be sealed away again instead of being gotten rid of permanently and nothing will actually improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

I forget, where exactly is Howland Reed at this point? Just chillin' in the Neck? Someone has to meet him at some point for R+L=J, and nobody seems to be heading in that direction anytime soon.

Not needed anymore, because Bran POVs are a magic window into the past now. All we need to see is Ned praying in front of a heart tree: "Dear old gods, please let nobody figure out that Jon is the kid of my sister and Rhaegar, also let me keep my head for many years to come, lots of love, Ned."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

I forget, where exactly is Howland Reed at this point? Just chillin' in the Neck? Someone has to meet him at some point for R+L=J, and nobody seems to be heading in that direction anytime soon.

It's possible Sansa could go over that way since she's to be married with the Lord of the Vale, and she's already the daughter of the Lord of Harrenhall.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

Hedrigall posted:

Not needed anymore, because Bran POVs are a magic window into the past now. All we need to see is Ned praying in front of a heart tree: "Dear old gods, please let nobody figure out that Jon is the kid of my sister and Rhaegar, also let me keep my head for many years to come, lots of love, Ned."

Yeah but this is lame and makes all the foreshadowing moot. Howland drat well better show up at some point.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Just for the record, GRRM is only like 63, and while people joke about his girth, to my knowledge there's been no news of him ever having been hospitalized for health complications related to it. With modern medicine you can treat your body like poo poo and still have pretty good odds of sticking around for a goodish amount of time. I'd be worried if he were ten years older but 63 is just not a one-foot-in-the-grave age.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Just for the record, GRRM is only like 63, and while people joke about his girth, to my knowledge there's been no news of him ever having been hospitalized for health complications related to it. With modern medicine you can treat your body like poo poo and still have pretty good odds of sticking around for a goodish amount of time. I'd be worried if he were ten years older but 63 is just not a one-foot-in-the-grave age.

Well in the case, bring on the lemon cakes! Many and more!

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Just for the record, GRRM is only like 63, and while people joke about his girth, to my knowledge there's been no news of him ever having been hospitalized for health complications related to it.
You forget his shitdick.

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
Haha! Shitdick? Care to explain? Google turned up nothing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Maybe Howland told it all to Jojen and Meera (they seem to know something of it already) and at some point they tell it to Bran.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

ImJasonH posted:

The valonquar and Azor Ahai and the perfumed seneschal and all the other vague prophecies turn out to be multiple people each, because that's how prophecies work

I've seen a few people talking about the "perfumed seneschal" thing like it's some kind of riddle or prophecy, but I don't really get it. I took it as a pretty straightforward warning for her not to trust Reznak mo Reznak, considering that he's a) her seneschal and b) always stinking of perfume and c) doesn't come off as trustworthy. Is there any ground to think it's referring to something else aside from THAT'S TOO OBVIOUS IT MUST BE A RED HERRING!

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
I haven't had time to go reading the whole thread... but from what I've gathered around the internet, everyone thinks the 'dark flame' in Quaithe's prophecy is Moroqquo or whatever his name is. The red priest who was with Victarion. That's the first thought I had too when I started trying to break that down a bit. But then I remembered Marwyn the Mage from the Citadel and his dragonglass candles. Is it possible it could be him instead of Moroqqo?

batomys
Sep 16, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

My theory is that now that Jon is "dead" he will meet up with Ned in the shadowlands/limbo and they'll finally have that chat about his mother that Ned promised they would "the next time we see each other". Ned will tell Jon where his bones ended up (they were being sent north, but never made it) ask him to take his remains to the crypts under Wintefell, and to do the same for Robb's bones. Afterwards he'll get pulled back to the land of the living in Ghost, as a wight, or resurrected by Melisandre.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

But if Stephen King is any indication, even surviving a serious medical challenge is enough to turn a good writer into poo poo.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

batomys posted:

My theory is that now that Jon is "dead" he will meet up with Ned in the shadowlands/limbo and they'll finally have that chat about his mother that Ned promised they would "the next time we see each other". Ned will tell Jon where his bones ended up (they were being sent north, but never made it) ask him to take his remains to the crypts under Wintefell, and to do the same for Robb's bones. Afterwards he'll get pulled back to the land of the living in Ghost, as a wight, or resurrected by Melisandre.

God I hope you're wrong.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

oogyboogs posted:

I find it hilarious that someone googled "george rr martin shitdick".

Though I have no loving clue what any of this means.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

DirtyRobot posted:

...except that he's going to submit a manuscript which needs to be split because it is physically too large to be bound into a single volume, and lo and behold, the series has just expanded.
You know how some artists model their art after themselves - eg: Michelangel inserting himself into the 'Last Judgment' fresco - yeah, sounds about right.

oogyboogs posted:

Why would you- I mean it's just- I...I don't even know.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 9, 2011

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Guy A. Person posted:

Definitely, I am just saying if he does manage to resolve all of that in two books, it will be a major shift in pacing from the past 2. Especially the Dany chapters, which have been slow paced world building since book 2 and will have to shift into full gear starting with her first chapter in the next book.
This is my concern. There are so many balls in the air now, so many moving parts, that if he is able to wrap it up in two books, it'll have to be bang-bang-bang-bang, just nothing but plot development and exposition - like a tv show that's suddenly cancelled a season early, so they have to put all the long-term character development into the last couple of shows. It'll be so weird compared to the slow meandering of the last 1900 pages, with multiple chapters of Brienne poking into random caves on the seashore and Tyrion floating down a river. Three chapters of Arya selling clams and mussels and learning the names of every beggar and prostitute along the Braavosi waterfront, but the Battle For The Wall will be over in thirty pages. I don't see how the series wraps up unless the final two books expand to published in three or four volumes, or they end up reading like powerpoint presentations.

Also, when people get into their sixties, they start to lose their mental faculties. I've been dealing with this with my parents and my friends' parents. It's sad, and frustrating. Maybe Martin is the lucky sort who'll be sharp as a tack into his eighties, but the odds are against it, his diet/exercise/lifestyle regimen doesn't point towards it, and his late fifties/early sixties saw him take several extra years to get books 4 and 5 done, and those were full of wandering and asides and some very flabby writing. I just don't see him suddenly regaining his focus as he heads towards age 70 and delivering a tight, well-written pair of novels that wrap everything up in a satisfying way. I hope I'm wrong, but...

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

But if Stephen King is any indication, even surviving a serious medical challenge is enough to turn a good writer into poo poo.

What makes you think the medical condition is what turned him into poo poo?

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

The Mutato posted:

I find it hilarious that someone googled "george rr martin shitdick".

Though I have no loving clue what any of this means.

He got e-coli in his weiner.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

^^^ HAHAHAHAHA.

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

You know, I was highly disappointed that, after hearing all these rumors that Reed was now occupying Arthur Dayne's body and that's how he saved Ned from death at the Tower of Joy and blah blah blah that there was actually nothing about this in DWD. :(

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Finally finished this book and the only thing I really wanted from the ending was a hilarious description of Daario being thrown from a trebuchet.

Dance and Feast should've been heavily edited down to one book. They also shouldn't end on such bullshit annoying cliffhangers. The first three books didn't end on cliffhangers :mad:

Except they more or less did. People seem to forget that plot threads were left entirely dangling in every ASOIAF novel, not just the last two. They may not have been glaringly obvious, but ASOS left just as much cliffhangers as the rest.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Azure_Horizon posted:

Except they more or less did. People seem to forget that plot threads were left entirely dangling in every ASOIAF novel, not just the last two. They may not have been glaringly obvious, but ASOS left just as much cliffhangers as the rest.

Absolutely right. If anything, Tyrion's escape was one of the biggest cliffhangers, and I was pissed at home GRRM handled it in ADWD by fast-forwarding the action.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

pksage posted:

I think you're spot on. Remember, Dany has to "head east to go west". While I'm not sure this will be a direct "let's sail across the Sunset Sea and show up on the west coast of Westeros, lol", I do think they're going to do something with The Shadow that will influence the Wall. Or something.

If you want to go really crackpot, you can remember that Oldtown is one of the most significant ports on the west coast, that Sam has a mysterious horn discovered at the Fist of the First Men with lots of obsidian, and that Sam is in Oldtown with a mysterious, potentially Faceless character with an agenda.

^^^ edit: The hands belong to the "valonqar" (little brother). Book suggests it's Tyrion, fans think it's Jaime.

If it's hands it can't be Jaime.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
It clearly means zombie Viserys

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Diddie posted:

It clearly means zombie Viserys

You mean Gold Golem Viserys, a C20 Magical Construct.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

Except that those books at least resolved some threads before leaving you hanging on others. The ASOS equivalent of AFFC/DWD would have the book ending before the Moutain/Red Viper fight, before Tyrion's escape, etc... The book would have likely ended when 10 separate threads came together to foreshadow Joffrey's poisoning and the last line would have been, "He tipped the chalice back and opened his mouth."

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Habibi posted:

Except that those books at least resolved some threads before leaving you hanging on others. The ASOS equivalent of AFFC/DWD would have the book ending before the Moutain/Red Viper fight, before Tyrion's escape, etc... The book would have likely ended when 10 separate threads came together to foreshadow Joffrey's poisoning and the last line would have been, "He tipped the chalice back and opened his mouth."

I would not have appreciated AFFC/DWD written in the same way that ASOS was. If he just continued chugging along, we would have lost a huge chunk of worldlore that I think would have hurt the series in the long run.

I know people are just so disappointed that things weren't resolved, but I'm pretty sure you also know that the next book will do just what you want.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Technically, a Varys/Littlefinger POV would suffice to clear up 50% of the missing/not-yet-revealed plot threads, with everything else being handled through plot.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!

colonel_korn posted:

I've seen a few people talking about the "perfumed seneschal" thing like it's some kind of riddle or prophecy, but I don't really get it. I took it as a pretty straightforward warning for her not to trust Reznak mo Reznak, considering that he's a) her seneschal and b) always stinking of perfume and c) doesn't come off as trustworthy. Is there any ground to think it's referring to something else aside from THAT'S TOO OBVIOUS IT MUST BE A RED HERRING!

The boat Tyrion was taking to Mereen, the Selaesori Qhoran, or "Stinky Steward", translates roughly to "perfumed seneschal" so for a while it seemed like it might have been him (or Aegon). Probably yet another red herring though.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

It can't be Reznak mo Reznak because Dany thought it was him and Dany is Wrong About Everything in ADWD.

coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009

Habibi posted:

And the Red Wedding would have taken place offscreen and only been hinted at by rumors that Robb turned into a werewolf at the Twins and maybe a letter that arrives a couple of chapters before the end of the book. And the North storyline would end just as Stannis's troops appear and defeat the Wildlings at the wall.

But the book would be just as long, and the missing length would be padded by a step-by-step account of Jamie and Brienne's trip from Harrenhall to King's Landing, plus 10 more Sansa chapters talking about how unhinged Lysa Tully is.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

I would not have appreciated AFFC/DWD written in the same way that ASOS was. If he just continued chugging along, we would have lost a huge chunk of worldlore that I think would have hurt the series in the long run.

I know people are just so disappointed that things weren't resolved, but I'm pretty sure you also know that the next book will do just what you want.

Unlike some people here, I'm actually happy to read the 'worldlore,' and thought the glimpse of post-war Westeros you got from Brienne's travels in AFFC was very interesting. But I still feel like the same could have been accomplished in fewer words/pages, and that more actual plot could have been covered - and this goes for both AFFC and DWD. I enjoyed Tyrion's travels down the river / along the coast of Essos, but his escapades with Penny felt like they belonged more in a feel-good mass-market Oprah's Book Club offering. Some of Dany's chapters read like fan-fic. Etc... I get the impression that a lot of people are looking at this as though it should be a case of one or the other, but I really feel like it should be and could have been a case of both. I feel like a few reductions in 'worldlore' (eg: get rid of the Penny arc) and a few even minor plot resolutions (eg: show Dany's encounter with the khalasar) would have pushed this book over the edge from 'pretty good' to 'great.'

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Why is Doran a prince? Every other High-born is just a Lord so why does Doran call himself a Prince?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

VaultAggie posted:

Why is Doran a prince? Every other High-born is just a Lord so why does Doran call himself a Prince?
Dorne has a different culture than the rest of Westeros (it's Royneish, not Andal) so they do things differently there, and they were never conquered by the Targaryans, so they've maintained some of their cultural distinction. I think in Dorne the first-born child inherits, unlike the rest of the land where it's the first-born male child.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

VaultAggie posted:

I just assumed that was the ruler's traditional Dornish title. Trying to remember - was Dorne conquered by the Targaryens or did they end up just signing on to be part of their kingdom? If the latter, maybe that's why.

Edit: There you go. So they probably see themselves less as conquered vassals and more as "well we agreed to be one step below the king/queen, so..." And also the different culture thing.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

The perfumed seneschal is obviously Varys. He couldn't pop up in aGoT without his cloyingly sweet perfume being mentioned.

There could be any number of reasons why at this point but it probably has to do with his support of Aegon on the basis that he's been groomed to be a sympathic ruler who would put the good of the smallfolk before the petty games of the nobility, and would perceive Danaerys as a threat to his plan.

Dorne is kind of the Texas of the 7 kingdoms. They were a separate sovereign nation who joined willingly and maintain that they have the right to secede if they so choose, though practically speaking they can't ever do that.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
God drat you GRRM. The foreshadowing is always so obvious in hindsight - gently caress Bowen Marsh. gently caress him right in the rear end, if only for ruining Jon's one bad rear end moment in the whole series.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Habibi posted:

Unlike some people here, I'm actually happy to read the 'worldlore,' and thought the glimpse of post-war Westeros you got from Brienne's travels in AFFC was very interesting. But I still feel like the same could have been accomplished in fewer words/pages, and that more actual plot could have been covered - and this goes for both AFFC and DWD. I enjoyed Tyrion's travels down the river / along the coast of Essos, but his escapades with Penny felt like they belonged more in a feel-good mass-market Oprah's Book Club offering. Some of Dany's chapters read like fan-fic. Etc... I get the impression that a lot of people are looking at this as though it should be a case of one or the other, but I really feel like it should be and could have been a case of both. I feel like a few reductions in 'worldlore' (eg: get rid of the Penny arc) and a few even minor plot resolutions (eg: show Dany's encounter with the khalasar) would have pushed this book over the edge from 'pretty good' to 'great.'

I agree on this. The world lore and plot developments, like Dany being a poor ruler for instance, aren't bad ideas. But too much time and :bravo2: are spent on it.

Well, except Brienne traveling to some stupid cave. That was just really, really bad in every way. I get bored just thinking about it.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I was just thinking there is no way these books can be finished in two more. There is way to much going on and too many characters that need POV chapters, which usually aren't very short. I mean just look at this breakdown.

You have the North of the Wall stuff with Bran, which will be a few chapters. Then you have the Wall stuff with Jon and Mel, which is sure to be a bunch of chapters. Then you have all the poo poo at Winterfell with 2 POV characters and Stannis, which will probably be a couple chapters.

Then you have Davos on Skagos looking for Rickon, surely another 2 or 3 chapter journey. Jamie and Brienne and Lady Stoneheart in the Riverlands, and you know they won't all stay there, so there are some more chapters. Sansa in the Vale dealing with Littlefinger. Going down you have King's Landing, with Cersei, and I doubt we'll just stay on her POV. I'm fully expecting to get the POV from the Sand Snake on her way, not to mention a Tyrell viewpoint, probably Garlan.

Let's not forget Aegon and the Griffin campaigning in the Stormlands, that was a plot point left dangling. We're almost certainly going to hear about Dorne and Martell's reaction to his newphew being alive, plus his son's death. This is all on Westoros.

Across the sea you have Dany with the Dothraki, Vicatarion and Barristan looking at the huge battle of Meereen. Oh and Tyrion with the Second sons are gonna retake Casterly Rock through the drains.

Oh poo poo, I almost forgot Arya, she has to get back to Westoros while still finishing her training.

That's like 13 different story lines most of which have multiple POV characters, its going to take forever just for one book month to pass, and I really don't get the impression that the story is almost over. Even if every book is bigger than Storm, I just don't see these books getting wrapped up in just two more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webman
Jun 4, 2008
There aren't going to be any new POV characters except for the introductions and conclusions.