Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
If you don't have a Premium account, you can still use the mobile app for wireless playlist syncing, but it won't let you play Spotify tracks. Only your local MP3 music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
We can't lose weight with you if you don't update your log!
   /
:backtowork:

Mogador posted:

Sent!

Here are 2 more :)

dpusqFXzKt8uMRNP
cAxVcXVbWFPkqrGW

Reply which code you take etc etc.

Took cAxVcXVbWFPkqrGW

in as watchdog9000

Thanks for the invite!

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
Here are some invites!

degL7EwMwkGV2mt4
fwaNNRfSnxwGr7xS
eUCWqPgNspWz5C25
eVTKBKxSwY3ZRW59
be9UsJKKJPxuf7G9
aWb8PnkSHfpKrD5A

Have fun!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Simple Simon posted:

Here are some invites!

aWb8PnkSHfpKrD5A

Have fun!
I pinched this one for myself.

Does anybody have a code I could give my girlfriend? I have an account, but she wants her own. If you could email me one, that would be great teh_sid AT hotmail DOT com

Thanks guys.

Mogador
Nov 4, 2007

tehsid posted:

I pinched this one for myself.

Does anybody have a code I could give my girlfriend? I have an account, but she wants her own. If you could email me one, that would be great teh_sid AT hotmail DOT com

Thanks guys.

This email already got an invite, you cant use the same email twice :)
Pm me your gf's mailaddress (as im sure she does not want it to be public here) and ill hook her up with an invite.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Mogador posted:

This email already got an invite, you cant use the same email twice :)
Pm me your gf's mailaddress (as im sure she does not want it to be public here) and ill hook her up with an invite.
Sent the PM mate. Thanks.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
dKWfsKPsu6LJhaSL
aEyhUctWfE8nYSHF
cTcEPThN2afd4ZNd
aEktn6J9XkWxb6xK
erAExG9RZxBz86Wu

Here some more!
If anyone want a guarantee invite to someone, just give me the email and I'll send an invite to them.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Simple Simon posted:

aEktn6J9XkWxb6xK

Took this one. Thanks!

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void

Simple Simon posted:

aEyhUctWfE8nYSHF

yoink

stevesy
Aug 6, 2011

BYAAAAH
some invite codes:
code:
b2PXVuGBEJWd6gbC
a9JeMXeVwfUUdkCh
ag4RUr2ESF58gVWp
cbY9MgMe22yKHWC4
cyx5cJKunEy33m43
please tell which ones you use so others don't have to keep guessing.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
So Spotify only has music from the last five years right? Finding modern stuff, or music from people like Roy Orbison who have five million compilation cd's put out a year has been fine, but I don't see any albums made before like, 2006 on there.

If so, that's a pity. Still going to get a hell of a lot of mileage out of the service though.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
There are some weird holes in their catalog, probably due to labels and their licensing, and it does seem to skew towards the new releases, but for example they have all the Tom Waits albums, and every rap album since the early 80s that I've tried to find, so there are plenty of older albums in there.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

stevesy posted:

some invite codes:
code:
b2PXVuGBEJWd6gbC
please tell which ones you use so others don't have to keep guessing.

I used that one, thanks!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EatinCake posted:

So Spotify only has music from the last five years right? Finding modern stuff, or music from people like Roy Orbison who have five million compilation cd's put out a year has been fine, but I don't see any albums made before like, 2006 on there.

If so, that's a pity. Still going to get a hell of a lot of mileage out of the service though.
What artists have you looked at? :confused: They have like literally every single Beach Boys album, every Elvis Costello album, and I've rarely found an artist whose catalog they didn't fully carry (besides the Beatles, Bob Dylan, etc.). Sometimes older albums will be re-issue versions so you might have a 60's album dated to 1995 or something like that.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
So I'm sharing like 75 songs in my starred playlist or whatever, but my friends claim they can only see 20.

I read that this is because you can only share songs that are in their library? What a lovely service if that's the case...

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

ROLL D4MN TIDE posted:

I read that this is because you can only share songs that are in their library? What a lovely service if that's the case...
This is incorrect.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

torjus posted:

This is incorrect.

Any idea on what's happening then? It's maddening. I've tried re-adding stuff over and over again and I can never show all 75+ songs

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

You aren't trying to share stuff from your local files are you?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Pablo Gigante posted:

What artists have you looked at? :confused: They have like literally every single Beach Boys album, every Elvis Costello album, and I've rarely found an artist whose catalog they didn't fully carry (besides the Beatles, Bob Dylan, etc.). Sometimes older albums will be re-issue versions so you might have a 60's album dated to 1995 or something like that.

Yeah seriously, you can go back to the 1920s and 30s if you've got an itch. It's not everything that ever was, but the catalog is deep as holy hell.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

slowdave posted:

You aren't trying to share stuff from your local files are you?

Yes. That's what I meant. Supposedly you can only share songs that are in their cloud, which is apparently lacking...

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

ROLL D4MN TIDE posted:

Yes. That's what I meant. Supposedly you can only share songs that are in their cloud, which is apparently lacking...

The point of Spotify is not really sharing stuff from your own hard drive, though. You can sync songs to your phone but that's it.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

slowdave posted:

The point of Spotify is not really sharing stuff from your own hard drive, though. You can sync songs to your phone but that's it.

One of the main attractions is that you can share songs with your friends and form playlists for them to listen to...

Actually yea that's the biggest thing about Spotify :confused:

phreaky
Nov 4, 2009

What I find more disturbing than a guy saying he's not going to buy a game is the set of comments by people who instantly project their own insecurities and assume the individual is white, male, and ironically, a bigot.
Here's an invite code for people. Post if you do take it.

e5JGMcCSTrH3JhAe

edit:taken

phreaky fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 9, 2011

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

ROLL D4MN TIDE posted:

One of the main attractions is that you can share songs with your friends and form playlists for them to listen to...

But it's not like Zune or whatever that you can use to share mp3s from your own hard drive, but a licensed 9 million song database you can use however you want. Or have they changed their modus operandi recently? :confused:

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

phreaky posted:

Here's an invite code for people. Post if you do take it.

e5JGMcCSTrH3JhAe

cheers

Somebody already took it without posting.

Just thought I would let you know.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

There are still a lot of invite left through here:

http://www.facebook.com/Sprite!/Sprite/posts/10150191406714159

A lot.

The catalog is good though there are certainly big holes in it. There isn't a single King Crimson song on there but I can find 8 different versions of a Shostakovitch string quartet that I like. The jazz selection is pretty good.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

ROLL D4MN TIDE posted:

I'd imagine that there'd be all kinds of legal panic about allowing people to share their local MP3 music, even if it is within Spotify's walled garden.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

spincube posted:

I'd imagine that there'd be all kinds of legal panic about allowing people to share their local MP3 music, even if it is within Spotify's walled garden.

They wouldn't begin to know where to pay producers/artists/side artists etc for every remix that someone shares from their local library

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
But there are a lot of local files of non-remixes that aren't in their library... from popular bands like The Band or live versions of Pink Floyd, etc.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Why can't I search for the Arcade Fire on Spotify mobile? It only brings up string covers and such.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I was really impressed for like the first week so I got a premium membership. But now I'm becoming less and less enthused with the amount of artists/albums I can't find on there. I think what bugs me more than an artist not being on completely is only a selective discography.

Like Animal Collective seems to have most everything except Sung Tongs.

Or only some of Dick's Picks.

I think I'd almost prefer everything or nothing, or at least something predictable like an artist's entire discography except their album they just released a week ago. Kind of like how Netflix seems to treat seasons of TV shows sometimes.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

How do I remove the big facebook button from the right side of the desktop application? I use Facebook (begrudgingly) but I don't want it integrated. I'm considering making a dummy facebook account and linking it. Hopefully that at least minimizes that size of the big stupid "F" on the desktop app.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Chinook posted:

How do I remove the big facebook button from the right side of the desktop application? I use Facebook (begrudgingly) but I don't want it integrated. I'm considering making a dummy facebook account and linking it. Hopefully that at least minimizes that size of the big stupid "F" on the desktop app.

If you click the [ and arrow icon, to the left of where it says people, the tab the F is on will hide itself.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Anachronist posted:

If you click the [ and arrow icon, to the left of where it says people, the tab the F is on will hide itself.

Durr, thanks. :downs:

I haven't listened to music for years, at least not like I did when I was a teen, and in college. I'm considering using Pandora for discovery (I really do like the songs I've been finding on there, and how it's done) and another service for actually making playlists and listening to stuff. There are so many options, and all of the stupid tech blogs have differing opinions (and information, frustratingly).

I have an Android phone, I'd like to be able to have music suggestions (similar to Pandora, I guess), and the ability to have shared playlists is really cool (Spotify). Also, high quality streaming to my desktop is a really important feature. Spotify supposedly gives you access to 320 kbps stuff with premium, which sounds good, but I gather that there are plenty of songs that don't have the best bitrates.

MOG, Rdio, and Spotify all seem like good choices, but I can't really say whether I'd like Rdio or MOG because they don't have a free option. :argh:

Mogador
Nov 4, 2007

ROLL D4MN TIDE posted:

Not your own music you have on your harddrive, no, that was never spotifys intention.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Chinook posted:

Durr, thanks. :downs:

I haven't listened to music for years, at least not like I did when I was a teen, and in college. I'm considering using Pandora for discovery (I really do like the songs I've been finding on there, and how it's done) and another service for actually making playlists and listening to stuff. There are so many options, and all of the stupid tech blogs have differing opinions (and information, frustratingly).

I have an Android phone, I'd like to be able to have music suggestions (similar to Pandora, I guess), and the ability to have shared playlists is really cool (Spotify). Also, high quality streaming to my desktop is a really important feature. Spotify supposedly gives you access to 320 kbps stuff with premium, which sounds good, but I gather that there are plenty of songs that don't have the best bitrates.

MOG, Rdio, and Spotify all seem like good choices, but I can't really say whether I'd like Rdio or MOG because they don't have a free option. :argh:

Last.fm is a really good resource for discovery, especially if you use it long enough to have a good database built up.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

CortezFantastic posted:

Why can't I search for the Arcade Fire on Spotify mobile? It only brings up string covers and such.

That's just what happens if the music for some reason isn't available (usually the label/artist/rightsholder not wanting it there for whatever reason, sometimes smaller labels that just haven't gotten there yet). In those cases, you'll often find all kinds of crappy covers and karaoke versions ("as made famous by X") and no "real" stuff.

Edit: Also, regarding invites: If you request one via the web page (here or something), you'll usually get one pretty much right away. Here are a few anyway.

b2B2GhPZnd7aHff6
achShYwhfPRFPSPb
bRt6wuBBsR4nPSNY
dKnSrMtqnafCfhrt
aTyuHJkNr4kDg4Hu
d8VRtWLXJMuUYzg6
aJKPanwgH7YuPGW9
d7xGYxzgcbNhKZ5F
a49bry7nsrBJD2Lk
adcEa3LKfU43WkfS
cYsnhVqLt5Y9ssgY
fxU3WNUXw8GynAnL
ck8F4dBAfKpesEZk
exbT5VZEYeJs6Axq
fuU68t9cSM4aYLAZ
adhF9rH5q9Ms3hnr
dpanEBM5m6p2xgNE

ionn fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 11, 2011

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I tried looking around SH/SC but couldn't find a thread:
Anyone having issues where Spotify will randomly lose all their locally sync'd files on their phone? I've had it happen twice so far and it's annoying to re-sync 10 gigs of music.

So far I've been enjoying all the suggested playlists and sharing music, and I may start just budgeting the $10 a month for music consisting how often I have my phones in.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

thrawn86 posted:

Last.fm is a really good resource for discovery, especially if you use it long enough to have a good database built up.

Seconding this - I have discovered a lot of great artists on last.fm through their recommended radio. Just plug in an artist you are already into and it will stream artists that other fans of that artist commonly listen to.

I generally like the idea of basing it on "People who listen to a lot of X also listen to a lot of Y" rather than Pandora's "music genome" thing.

I also like that you can easily sync up last.fm with Spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

ionn posted:

fuU68t9cSM4aYLAZ

Took this one. Thanks!

• Locked thread