Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Royale with Cheese posted:

Should I get hit with an EMP on my triumph, what should I expect to happen - without squeezing the clutch wouldn't the bike lock up instantly?

nsaP, consider a Bust-a-cap!

If you want to find out what a total electronics failure is like, just flip your kill switch off while you're rolling. (Or your key, which will kill all the lights and gauges too).

Everyone should do this on a long straight road with no traffic just so they know what it feels like in case something happens.

Generally, the bike goes "BRawwooooooooo" and slows down pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

If you want to find out what a total electronics failure is like, just flip your kill switch off while you're rolling. (Or your key, which will kill all the lights and gauges too).

Everyone should do this on a long straight road with no traffic just so they know what it feels like in case something happens.

Bonus points if you do it at night. One time both headlights on my GS400 burnt out at 4 AM and I had to navigate purely by using my blinkers. I could see the road every other second.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think I am probably stupid, but what's life without taking chances?

Got word my Vstar should be fixed up by Thursday. Made a reservation for an afternoon flight out of Seatac with a 3 hour layover in SFO before I make it to Idaho Falls by about midnight. Next day, bus to Rexburg, pay them their $1900, pick up the bike, shake it down locally for an hour or so, and then head home assuming it runs right.

If my friends can figure out how to reserve a drat hotel, I might even roll out to the Oregon Coast on the way home!

Here's hoping:
- It's done on time
- It gets me home

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

Z3n posted:

I did this during the first week on my ZX-6R. Yes I am an idiot and flicked my killswitch when all I really wanted to do was turn on my brights

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bonus if you hit the killswitch at highway speed on a carbed bike :getin:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Phat_Albert posted:

Bonus if you hit the killswitch at highway speed on a carbed bike :getin:

Nothing happens when I do it. 75mph. I flip it off then on rapidly, and nothin.

I tried in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Leave it off for a few seconds, or twist the throttle and let go before you turn it back on. I accept no responsibility for tickets or blown exhaust gaskets.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Maybe an air horn would help. If someone cornered you and was about to do something they shouldn't be doing, a loud horn would attract unwanted attention to said act.

*edit* looks like I'm a page behind

xd fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 9, 2011

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

xd posted:

Maybe an air horn would help. If someone cornered you and was about to do something they shouldn't be doing, a loud horn would attract unwanted attention to said act.

*edit* looks like I'm a page behind

Don't forget a strobe light and maybe a smoke canister too.

:pcgaming:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was actually looking at one of these bad boys out of coincidence, just because I want a loud as gently caress horn. Anyone here ever put on an airhorn?

http://www.amazon.com/Stebel-Nautilus-Compact-Motorcycle-Horn/dp/B000NPRTII

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

nsaP posted:

I was actually looking at one of these bad boys out of coincidence, just because I want a loud as gently caress horn. Anyone here ever put on an airhorn?

http://www.amazon.com/Stebel-Nautilus-Compact-Motorcycle-Horn/dp/B000NPRTII

No, but that's a Wolo horn by another name. You can find 'em at Harbor Freight or eBay.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck posted:

Here's hoping:
- It's done on time
- It gets me home

These people owe you a T-shirt, a bottle of Cuervo, and a coupon good for the sexual favor of your choice. Best of luck out there.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

nsaP posted:

Anyone here ever put on an airhorn?

I've got one on the SV and it is really loving loud. Surprises people a bit more than the joke of a horn they put on bikes. Scares the hell out of you when you hit it on accident moving bikes around.

As MotoMind mentioned go down to harbor freight or autozone and pick one up, same thing as stebel.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

nsaP posted:

I have one on my ST1300, it works great.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
If you can't fit the airhorn on your bike, you might want to consider a rape whistle instead. Strobes would be pretty neat on a bike, but I'm sure that's illegal. ;)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

xd posted:

Strobes would be pretty neat on a bike, but I'm sure that's illegal. ;)

My wife's R1150R has the LED brake lights that strobe when she hits the brakes. I swear it's going to give me a seizure one of these days. She also has the loudest air horn ever.

Last month I was riding it around and instead of signaling a left turn, I blasted this poor old retired dude into the next lane with the horn. He pulled over, gave me a horror face, and all I could say was "That was loud!"

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I've been working near I-80 the past few weeks and have seen a lot of traffic headed to Sturgis. Actually saw 4 Hell's Angels riding in formation. Well, two members and two prospects

Anyway, has anyone else run into any 1% "MC's"? Ever had any issues with them? The Sons of Silence have a chapter in my state, and I've known of a few others, but the thing that strikes me is how old the members tend to be. Not a lot of really young guys.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

I've been working near I-80 the past few weeks and have seen a lot of traffic headed to Sturgis. Actually saw 4 Hell's Angels riding in formation. Well, two members and two prospects

Anyway, has anyone else run into any 1% "MC's"? Ever had any issues with them? The Sons of Silence have a chapter in my state, and I've known of a few others, but the thing that strikes me is how old the members tend to be. Not a lot of really young guys.

I had to turn away some Pagans who were trying to get into an event once, which was terrifying as they were not happy about it. Thankfully the event was on VNVMC land, and they took over as soon as it started to turn into a confrontation, so I just backed away slowly and let them do their thing.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Theres a few Gypsy Jokers I ran into when I lived in a shittier part of Seattle. When I was younger I think their clubhouse got popped and they found a ton of rifles and grenades, among other things. Then a meth bust over in Eastern Washington later. These days, I think they are a bit more chill. I worked at a hardware store when I was in High School and 4 or 5 of them came in for whatever. One dude was eating an ice cream bar and went to toss the wrapper in the trash and missed. The other dude picked it for him and put it in the can. Such upstanding gentlemen.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

MotoMind posted:

No, but that's a Wolo horn by another name. You can find 'em at Harbor Freight or eBay.

Yeah, looking at Harbor Freight's website it seems like their horn is a bit quieter(still loud enough for me) but will wire up to the old horn's hardware, so that seems like the easiest and best bet. I'll probably give it a try on the Ninja first, and if it isn't too hard to mount up, try to find somewhere semi-hidden for it on the FZ6.

Also, blast from the past:

nsaP posted:

Standing on the floor isn't riding, and I've already said I feel more comfortable on the back.

Before this becomes too big of a miscommunication by "heel" I mean like this:

The back part of the boot at least, the indented part. It's closer to heel than arch for me.

As for not accidentally hitting the shifter or brake:

I point my toes outward a bit normally I guess. Like I said too, I feel more balanced this way now. It could also have something to do with me being tall and riding a small bike at the moment. It's more comfortable for my foot to be pointed up than down.

Toes dragging in corners, even when tucked against bike would definitely be an issue in some sportbikes I'd guess huh. It might not pull them off either, but you will get some nice wear on them. My boots have some scuffs and the tips of the toes ground off a bit.

I've been forced into a bit of a rethink after finally taking a second outing to the "fun roads" on the Ninjette. I was doing fine with that foot position, tucking my toes under the levers on tighter turns, but I guess I'm getting better at pushing that little 250 harder because this happened:

Haven't had that problem on the FZ6 yet, but I'm definitely going to have to remember to get my feet up on tighter turns on the backroads. Scraping the side of my boot there is also the farthest I've gotten the bike over so I'm a bit chuffed about that the left side of the tire has less untouched rubber than ever. Right side is still lagging behind, as seems to be the case.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The reason we recommend toes up on the pegs is because while you just dragged a bit of boot, if you had gotten in to a decreasing radius corner too hot you could have needed to lean the bike to the point where your boot is stopping you from leaning any farther. Or it gets sucked off the peg. You learned your lesson in an easy way, but I have seen it learned the hard way and it's not pretty.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Armyman25 posted:

I know a few bikers from several local MCs, most are pretty chill dudes and the outlaw aspect is a way overplayed stereotype from the 80s/90s. Many clubs can be described as a "drinking club with a bike problem", it's just about being in a group who like to party as hard as you do. That said, there can be a lot of posturing and politicking between clubs and I've met some scary motherfuckers from out of town chapters over the years.

Basically if you don't want trouble from bikers, don't do anything to piss them off. Most of them are pretty nice, approachable guys who are cool with anyone who rides.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

Theres a few Gypsy Jokers I ran into when I lived in a shittier part of Seattle. When I was younger I think their clubhouse got popped and they found a ton of rifles and grenades, among other things. Then a meth bust over in Eastern Washington later. These days, I think they are a bit more chill. I worked at a hardware store when I was in High School and 4 or 5 of them came in for whatever. One dude was eating an ice cream bar and went to toss the wrapper in the trash and missed. The other dude picked it for him and put it in the can. Such upstanding gentlemen.
This is my new favourite MC story.

At a swap meet once my sportbike group needed to use the power outlet that was behind the local chapter of a clubs booth. Everyone was afraid to go over there and ask the guy if we could use it so I got voted to go talk to him ( being big and having a beard I guess they thought I would fit in?) The guy was super nice and gave me a club t-shirt in exchange for helping him put a bunch of new phone numbers into his cell phone.

I think I have mentioned it before too but at the biker bar here I used to ride my sport bike too it and park with all the Harley's the guys inside were all nice and even said " as long as its 2 wheels who cares."

I guess these aren't really run-ins and all of the 1 percenters I have met have been nothing but nice to me but at the same time they aren't the kind of guys I was really interested in pissing off either.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I ran into a Bandito prospect while getting my bike out of the storage unit to ride it to work.

Prospect: How much is one of those a month?
Me [thinking he's talking about my Vstar, his Dyna looked old and crusty]: I dunno, I paid cash.
Prospect [horror face]: No, the storage unit! I have a bunch of workout equipment I need a place to stash.
Me: Oh a hundred bucks I think.

And I even lived to tell the tale :)

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

I ran into a Bandito prospect while getting my bike out of the storage unit to ride it to work.

Prospect: How much is one of those a month?
Me [thinking he's talking about my Vstar, his Dyna looked old and crusty]: I dunno, I paid cash.
Prospect [horror face]: No, the storage unit! I have a bunch of workout equipment I need a place to stash.
Me: Oh a hundred bucks I think.

And I even lived to tell the tale :)

consider yourself lucky oh brave soul. Your lucky his friends weren't around to hear your suggestion that he ride a yamaha

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I've done a bunch of rides with the vampires in Santa Cruz. They're a good crew of folks, don't think they're the outlaw types though. I know a couple of guys in the East Bay Rats, too, they're all good folks who'd help you out in a heartbeat.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

SaucyPants posted:

consider yourself lucky oh brave soul. Your lucky his friends weren't around to hear your suggestion that he ride a yamaha

It was only a prospect; they'd probably have made him ride it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Armyman25 posted:

Marv's late uncle's business attire:

Marv's uncle's post-Angels Wall of Death years, rocking it side saddle:

He ran with them in the 60s, possibly as far back as the 50s. Favored Indian Scouts for this particular purpose, though I have no idea why they were better suited. I think there was a suicide shifter involved. Dunno. All I remember is a) he'd get me in for free, and b) he had the balls to use the HAMC logo and colors to promote the show. Somehow I doubt he got cleared by corporate on that one.

My one and only run-in with surly bikers happened when I was around 8. You know that building in your town that seems to house a different business every three months? Ours was about three doors down, and 5-6 angry looking bastards yelled over at me KID, GET OVER HERE. YEAH YOU, GET OVER HERE. They looked like Foghat or something. Well, Foghat plus their roadies. I went over there, and they hand me this white T-shirt that was as tall as I was, advertising their new chopper shop on the front and a big old smiley on the back. :) I have no idea how they ever got bikes in and out of there, it was up and back beyond a high retaining wall with no driveway of any kind. Maybe that's why they were gone in 90 days too...

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I passed a guy with an MC logo I didn't recognize on his ratty old vest on I-465 a couple of weeks ago. The only part I really noticed was his lower rocker, which read, "NOMAD," and I got a kick out of imagining that he just rides from chapter to chapter. He was scrupulously obeying the speed limit.

I don't think we have much in the way of outlaw clubs here in the Midwest. I imagine the winter is too much of a hassle. Unless they transform into snowmobile clubs. :3:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
As far as obeying the speed limit, the old saying is "only break one law at a time." Don't speed if you're carrying anything illicit or have warrants.

There are a few in Des Moines, and I ran into a guy who called himself "grub" who said he was an independent.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
One crime at a time rhymes better. ;)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
drat, Motorcycle Superstore has some miraculous shipping. Yesterday at about 1PM the wife was asking if she could have a pair of Pilot Road 2s sent to my office [she commutes on the bike so has no practical way to transport them home herself]. Today at about 10AM they arrived.

On one hand, they have a fulfillment center in the PNW so ground shouldn't take too incredibly long, but Medford OR to Monroe WA via ground parcel in 22 hours is pretty uncanny.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Well, I finally bit the bullet and got a new drive system.

110-link chain, 16 front and 44 rear (+1/-1) steel sprockets. Local shop; I paid $245 out the door, which is what is was gonna be online, plus I get to keep a (the only?) local bike shop in business.

The guy said he'd pin the chain when it showed up and I could just install a closed chain. Sounds good to me!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marv Hushman posted:

These people owe you a T-shirt, a bottle of Cuervo, and a coupon good for the sexual favor of your choice. Best of luck out there.

For reals.

I talked to them an hour or so ago. Everything is proceeding as planned on their end, they have the case back together and are waiting for the sealant to dry before assembling the top end tomorrow. They say I am looking good for a road trip on Friday.

If I can get heading east by noon, I can be near Baker City by dusk Friday and at the coast by late afternoon Saturday. Never seen the Columbia Gorge [and I've lived in the region for 24 years, what is wrong with me?] so I'm kind of excited for the second day's ride.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Well, I finally bit the bullet and got a new drive system.

110-link chain, 16 front and 44 rear (+1/-1) steel sprockets. Local shop; I paid $245 out the door, which is what is was gonna be online, plus I get to keep a (the only?) local bike shop in business.

The guy said he'd pin the chain when it showed up and I could just install a closed chain. Sounds good to me!

Installing a closed chain means removing the swingarm, FYI.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Z3n posted:

Installing a closed chain means removing the swingarm, FYI.

Why's that? wheel won't go far enough forward?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Why's that? wheel won't go far enough forward?

Think about what a closed chain means, then think about how a bike works

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
lol, i'm sorry but that was kinda funny.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Spiffness posted:

Think about what a closed chain means, then think about how a bike works

drat. All the diagrams and whatnot I looked at and missed the swingarm pivot this whole time. That shiny thing on the side behind the front sprocket? Yeah, just something shiny. For decoration. Not to cover some huge ugly nut or anything.

It would have worked except for the swingarm pivot.

I'll just replace the chain in the cycle shop's parking lot then. No need to buy a chain rivet tool just for this...

I feel pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I walked out to go for a ride today only to find someone tried to drill my ignition key switch out. :suicide:

Oh well, it still starts.