Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

This. Holy poo poo this. I find myself singing it to myself on the bus. I feel retarded.

All the songs on Who Charted are fun, honestly it's my favorite podcast right now and I think it has a lot to do with the feel of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Hey King Lou, I thought your bit on the F Plus's Earwolf Challenge today was really funny, even if the judges didn't seem to get it. I thought Marc Maron and Howard Kremer would be fun judges going in to the episode but I was pretty wrong. They're guys with podcasts without being guys who are into podcasts, I think.
It looks like this is the Fort or Television Zombies' week to go.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Creflo Chronicle posted:

Hey King Lou, I thought your bit on the F Plus's Earwolf Challenge today was really funny, even if the judges didn't seem to get it. I thought Marc Maron and Howard Kremer would be fun judges going in to the episode but I was pretty wrong. They're guys with podcasts without being guys who are into podcasts, I think.
It looks like this is the Fort or Television Zombies' week to go.

Thanks. I got the impression that it went over weird. I'll have to listen to it now.

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe

militarygrade posted:

Mike has admitted several times that he has basically no human empathy. Part of the reason for the rotating cast of characters on Red Bar has been his difficulty holding down anyone for a long time. Dean, Stanley, Mcgowan, now Kyle. He really is a hardcore through and through dick - but it's tolerable because he is actually fairly up front about it. it's not like he makes pretensions towards being a marvellous human being.

What was the beef with Stanley and McGowan anyway? I used to like Stanley but then he disappeared and they never mentioned him on the show again.

militarygrade
Apr 7, 2011

Jimbola posted:

What was the beef with Stanley and McGowan anyway? I used to like Stanley but then he disappeared and they never mentioned him on the show again.

Yeah Stanley was fantastic. Four horseman shows of Fritz, Mike, Stanley and Dead (rockdog recap) were the poo poo.

Stanley left at the same time as Dean. Mike has suggested once or twice that he too may have dipped into Katy, Mike's then gf.

McGowan, not too sure, he is still on once in a blue moon but less and less these days.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
I feel like the more I listen to Adam Carolla, the more I dislike him.

He just... talks alot of poo poo, which I know is his thing, but sometimes he needs to put a limit on it. He lets it get in the way of his guests talking way too much. Sometimes it's funny, but, sometimes it's just uneasy to hear for me.

Anyone else feel the same? :P

I am starting to love Nerdist though, because the guys really have a tight bond which is so delightful to listen to it's stupid.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Shogunner posted:

He just... talks alot of poo poo, which I know is his thing, but sometimes he needs to put a limit on it. He lets it get in the way of his guests talking way too much. Sometimes it's funny, but, sometimes it's just uneasy to hear for me.

I am starting to love Nerdist though, because the guys really have a tight bond which is so delightful to listen to it's stupid.

I find it ironic that you dont like Carolla because he interrupts his guest with his own personal chatter but you're into The Nerdist. I also apologize for what I just said because from this point on you'll notice and hate how much Chris jumps in to his guests responses to tell them his lovely personal anecdote about how comedy is dead or otherwise hard for him to find his place within. Comedy isnt dead. You just arent particularly funny and your niche audience of D&D nerds arent going to put on their wizard robe and hat to come see you because they are loving nerds.

But yeah I listen to Carolla daily and have listened to him daily since I was about 12 years old. At this point its become just a habit made easier because its free. I have noticed that lately his personal freedom to say whatever he wants has lead to him exposing some of his more unlikable qualities. He is incredibly ignorant on anything that isnt related to cars or building and he himself has turned into the person he despises most. He's become the guy that doesnt respect the people who have spent years in the industry and wont accept their input or help. Of course, in the context of the entertainment industry he's 100% right in not doing so and continuing to develop his own personal brand of humor, but whenever he goes on those "what do you know old man?" rants about the young hotshots on his construction work site I cant help but think, Adam that person is you.

On a slight tangent, I ordered a couple copies of Jonah Rays album on AST and they only sent me one. I didnt want to call my credit card company to do a charge back of $6 dollars so I emailed them for 2 weeks straight to get that second copy mailed out. They never responded. I figured why not e-mail Jonah he seems like he would be receptive. So I did. He responded back within 10 minutes and worked the whole situation out and we had a small side conversation about his work.

Basically Jonah Ray is cool as poo poo and I cant wait to see him live and he's the reason I listen to The Nerdist.

Teepkick Shakur fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 9, 2011

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Shogunner posted:

I had to stop listening to Adam Carolla for kind of the opposite reason, after the episode where he had on Andrew Breitbart, who is basically the conservative Michael Moore. Carolla did nothing but kiss his rear end the whole time (despite the demonstrably immoral things the guy has done and is proud of doing) and the liberal in me just had to tune out.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Shogunner posted:

I feel exactly the same way, I didn't like Nerdist at first but I listen to every episode now. As for Adam, I actually went to see him live and I haven't really listened to him since.

I'm of Mexican descent and I felt really uncomfortable the entire time I was there. I didn't see a single minority while waiting in line. All I heard was cheering when he made a racist joke, not laughing. It really made me re-think how I took the jokes. His set just wasn't very funny either, the non-racial stuff was just complaining about street signs and stuff like that.

I'm not really sure what I ever liked about him or his show. I guess I just thought it was all tongue in cheek. If I were him and saw that type of reaction to the jokes I would quit doing them. It really made it feel like a right wing/racist rally of some kind, I'm glad I look white because it would have felt even more awkward.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Binowru posted:

I had to stop listening to Adam Carolla after the episode where he had on Andrew Breitbart, who is basically the conservative Michael Moore. Carolla did nothing but kiss his rear end the whole time and the liberal in me just had to stop listening.

Was this the episode before Rob Schneider? Because the guy who was on before Rob Schneider (if I recall correctly) was basically what you're describing. Maybe not as extreme but Adam just kissed his rear end and I really just couldn't finish listening to it.

e:

ElCondemn posted:

I'm of Mexican descent and I felt really uncomfortable the entire time I was there. I didn't see a single minority while waiting in line. All I heard was cheering when he made a racist joke, not laughing. It really made me re-think how I took the jokes. His set just wasn't very funny either, the non-racial stuff was just complaining about street signs and stuff like that.

I'm a quarter Filipino, and usually have no problem with racial jokes at all if it's some type of stereotype or just plain funny. That rant he made about Paquiao and the Philippines though was pretty harsh.

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 9, 2011

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Shogunner posted:

Was this the episode before Rob Schneider? Because the guy who was on before Rob Schneider (if I recall correctly) was basically what you're describing. Maybe not as extreme but Adam just kissed his rear end and I really just couldn't finish listening to it.

I don't know which episode came after it because, well, I unsubscribed.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The first episode of the Carolla podcast I listened to, something about gay people came up, and he want on this ill-advised "defense" of gays. He was like, "go to Santa Monica Boulevard and Fairfax, neighborhood in LA [a wealthy and historically gay area] and everything is clean and nice. Now go to Santa Monica Boulevard and Vermont [a much less wealthy hispanic area] and everything is dirty." He was basically saying "at least the gays aren't mexicans!" but couching it in LA geography. It was really off-putting and went on for a REALLY long time.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
Anyone that has a problem with his rant about Mexicans clearly doesnt live in Los Angeles. I do, and he's right.

I also live in Santa Monica between those two areas.

Adam is a racist. We are all racist. But he isn't a bigot. Adam is just honest about how he feels. The reason you feel uncomfortable is because of the small bit of truth in what he's saying. You should feel uncomfortable. Its your choice to be offended but I would say that's a poor decision.

However I completely understand being offended at his politics because that's informed by ignorance rather than reality. Not even a rich, literally a millionaire, white mans reality.

Teepkick Shakur fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 9, 2011

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Anyone that has a problem with his rant about Mexicans clearly doesnt live in Los Angeles. I do, and he's right.

One area is clean and the other dirty because one area is rich and the other poor. It's not because one area is gay and the other Mexican.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Teepkick Shakur posted:

The reason you feel uncomfortable is because of the small bit of truth in what he's saying.

I grew up in Arizona where there are a lot of legal and illegal immigrants, I now live in Seattle. Seattle doesn't have an excess of Mexicans, so why are people cheering when he complains about them? There isn't a small bit of truth to it at all here, it's just plain prejudice racism.

Either way to me it just lost it's humor when I realized people were cheering because they don't like Mexicans, as opposed to laughing because there's a bit of truth in it.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
What Binowru said.

I also don't like the implication that the groups who have crappier living conditions are there because they are worse people, or because of some flaw with that group. It's pretty clear that hispanics/immigrants/insert-other-group-here are facing a bunch of issues that make it harder to get ahead. But Carolla seems to think "what's with those guys? their place is a mess! what's wrong with them?" is a good and funny observation.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Back on subject, Walking the Room has the best episode titles. The latest "Sad Bottom" is pretty good, but my favorite might be "Greg Gets Shanked for a Full Size Butterfinger."

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Binowru posted:

One area is clean and the other dirty because one area is rich and the other poor. It's not because one area is gay and the other Mexican.

No offense but your conclusion is not only overly simplistic but quite stupid. Homosexuals graduate from high school, dont poo poo out a bunch of kids, and care about their community. The Mexican culture in this area on the other hand is the exact opposite. Thats right culture. Thats the issue at hand and he's surprisingly made that very clear time and time again. And besides, he doesn't just point out foibles in Mexicans he does it with everyone. Gays, Blacks, Mexicans, Jews, Asians, even middle class, rich, and poor white people. None of his complaints are as simple as the color of ones skin and he actually has well thought out opinions as to why certain groups behave the way they do. They arent always right but they are the very least considered.

Why were the people in Seattle cheering? Who gives a poo poo? Did you go to listen to the audience or did you go to listen to Adam? If anything you should be mad at Seattle not Adam.

Like I said before its your right to be offended and I respect that but his ideas on race and culture are much more subtle than you're giving him credit for and you are probably doing yourself a disservice by sticking your head in the sand and saddling up on your moral high horse.

wafflesnsegways posted:

What Binowru said.

I also don't like the implication that the groups who have crappier living conditions are there because they are worse people, or because of some flaw with that group. It's pretty clear that hispanics/immigrants/insert-other-group-here are facing a bunch of issues that make it harder to get ahead. But Carolla seems to think "what's with those guys? their place is a mess! what's wrong with them?" is a good and funny observation.

You're right there are tons of issues that make it harder for these people to get ahead. Nothing could be more true. Is it wrong to point out what these issues are if they may leave those particular people in negative light? Of course not. Thats exactly whats being done on the show though. Sure its exaggerated but its a comedy podcast, not This American Life. What do you expect?

I really dont want to derail this awesome thread into a thread about race relations so this is the last post I'll make in that context. In closing though id like to say:

Elcondemn: Grew up in Arizona, lives in Seattle. Definitely not a jew. :rimshot:

Teepkick Shakur fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 9, 2011

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
LOL, you seem to be really dumb Teepkick Shakur. Shut the gently caress up.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Teepkick Shakur posted:

No offense but your conclusion is not only overly simplistic but quite stupid. Homosexuals graduate from high school, dont poo poo out a bunch of kids, and care about their community. The Mexican culture in this area on the other hand is the exact opposite. Thats right culture. Thats the issue at hand and he's surprisingly made that very clear time and time again. He doesn't just point out foibles in Mexicans he does it with everyone. Gays, Blacks, Mexicans, Jews, Asians, even middle class, rich, and poor white people. None of his complaints are as simple as the color of ones skin and he actually has well thought out opinions as to why certain groups behave the way they do. They arent always right but they are the very least considered.

Instead of derailing this thread further I'll just point out that Adam also tried to link the growing number of pot dispensaries in Los Angeles with the growing number of gourmet cupcake shops (cuz stoners love to eat right? :haw:) and leave it at that. He doesn't exactly use the best reasoning all the time.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Binowru posted:

Instead of derailing this thread further I'll just point out that Adam also tried to link the growing number of pot dispensaries in Los Angeles with the growing number of gourmet cupcake shops (cuz stoners love to eat right? :haw:) and leave it at that. He doesn't exactly use the best reasoning all the time.

Oh you dont understand the difference between a bit and an actual opinion. I see where you're coming from now.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Binowru posted:

Instead of derailing this thread further I'll just point out that Adam also tried to link the growing number of pot dispensaries in Los Angeles with the growing number of gourmet cupcake shops (cuz stoners love to eat right? :haw:) and leave it at that.

I'll never again underestimate peoples' ability to intentionally take offense at stuff like this.

UP AND ADAM posted:

LOL, you seem to be really dumb Teepkick Shakur. Shut the gently caress up.

What an awful post. You should be ashamed at yourself for making GBS threads this out instead of trying to take whatever you think is the moral high ground or discussing things like a human being.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I've listened to all of Uhh Yeah Dude, Sick & Wrong, Smodcast, Tell 'em Steve Dave, Jay and Silent Bob Get Old, Hollywood Babble-On, The Nerdist, Judge John Hodgman, Skeptoid, Stuff You Missed In History Class, My Brother My Brother and Me, Stuff You Should Know and You Look Nice Today.

I've started on Lou Reads, but other then that I don't have anything else to listen to but new shows as they come, I also like to hop back and forth between podcasts while I listen to them and I can already tell Lou Reads is going to be one I can't stomach for very long at one time.

Any suggestions? Nothing on Earwolf or MaxFun.

edit: Yes, I listen to a lot of podcasts. It what happens when you listen with an earbud in one ear for 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week for 4 years.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I've listened to all of Uhh Yeah Dude, Sick & Wrong, Smodcast, Tell 'em Steve Dave, Jay and Silent Bob Get Old, Hollywood Babble-On, The Nerdist, Judge John Hodgman, Skeptoid, Stuff You Missed In History Class, My Brother My Brother and Me, Stuff You Should Know and You Look Nice Today.

I've started on Lou Reads, but other then that I don't have anything else to listen to but new shows as they come, I also like to hop back and forth between podcasts while I listen to them and I can already tell Lou Reads is going to be one I can't stomach for very long at one time.

edit: Yes, I listen to a lot of podcasts. It what happens when you listen with an earbud in one ear for 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week for 4 years.

Dude. Duuuude.

I hope you like The Negro Leagues. If not, you will.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Mike and Tom Eat Snacks, Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast and the Joe Rogan Experience.

Thank me later.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

If you're willing to pony up something like 60 cents per 90 minute episode, Never Not Funny is greatness.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Dude. Duuuude.

I hope you like The Negro Leagues. If not, you will.

Speaking of Proops he was on The Dork Forest this week talking pre-MLB baseball with only a single mention of Satchel Page. gently caress that was the longest I've listened to any discussion about baseball in 10 years and it was fascinating. Kashians show is really hit or miss depending on if you give a poo poo about what they're talking about but Proops just made it so drat interesting.

CharlesWillisMaddox: give Caustic Soda a shot.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

King Lou posted:

Thanks. I got the impression that it went over weird. I'll have to listen to it now.

I've never listened to your podcast but on the Earwolf Challenge this week your segment was the only one that actually made me laugh. I don't understand why Matt and the judges are having such a hard time "getting" the F Plus. I'm not a big fan of what I've heard so far (other than Lou's guest appearance) but it's definitely not confusing and it seems entertaining.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

ElCondemn posted:

All the songs on Who Charted are fun, honestly it's my favorite podcast right now and I think it has a lot to do with the feel of the show.
It's one of my favorites now, something about the two hosts just works. If Howard was any different I wouldn't love it so much. Also I'm glad Earwolf has managed to finally get a new studio with scare conditioning for Sloppy Timmy and his pals.

CommunistMojo posted:

Speaking of Proops he was on The Dork Forest this week talking pre-MLB baseball with only a single mention of Satchel Page. gently caress that was the longest I've listened to any discussion about baseball in 10 years and it was fascinating. Kashians show is really hit or miss depending on if you give a poo poo about what they're talking about but Proops just made it so drat interesting.
I love Jackie Kashian, but the show gets so specific sometimes, it really does depend on the guest. The latest one I listened to was a live one from about a month ago with Dana Gould and James Urbaniak. Dana Gould is awesome as usual and there is some great classic movie discussion, I hadn't heard of most of what they were talking about but it was so interesting it made me want to watch those movies.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I'm still a student, but when I start searching around for jobs after university the ability to listen to podcasts is going to be a factor.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

I'll definitely second The Smartest Man in the World. You could also try The Complete Guide to Everything, if you enjoy two goofy guys talking about nothing in particular. They hardly ever talk very much about the 'topic' they're supposed to, but it's still funny. Mike and Tom Eat Snacks is also pretty good.

The Flop House and We Hate Movies are good 'bad movie' podcasts, if you're into that sort of thing.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

LITERALLY MAD IRL posted:

Judge John Hodgman used to come out on the regular but there hasn't been a new one in weeks. Is it dead or something?

From Hodgman's Twitter feed

quote:

HIVE MIND: please don't George RR Martin me re Judge John Hodgman. I am in exile, copyediting THAT IS ALL. Judgement day shall return soon!

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
Well... I don't know about you, but WHEN I GO TO QUEENS I HAVE A GOOD TIME!!!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

I don't see Superego or the Pod F Tomkast. Why is that?

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
I think I'm jealous of Charles. He's probably to download all of these podcast and get to listen to them all for the first time one right after the other.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Cacahuate posted:

I laughed at that not even knowing that it's supposed to mean.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Wait, the Mike in "Mike and Tom Eat Snacks" is Michael Ian Black? I would have listened to it ages ago if I knew that.

Coco13 posted:

I don't see Superego or the Pod F Tomkast. Why is that?

I love Paul F Tompkins, but for some reason I just stopped listening to it a few weeks in. Superego I never heard of but it sounds interesting so I'm grabbing that as well.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Wait, the Mike in "Mike and Tom Eat Snacks" is Michael Ian Black? I would have listened to it ages ago if I knew that.

I love Paul F Tompkins, but for some reason I just stopped listening to it a few weeks in. Superego I never heard of but it sounds interesting so I'm grabbing that as well.

Warning: Superego will make you laugh out loud at work

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin
I ran into Jonathan from UYD at the Phish concert last night. I told him I was a fan of the show and we chatted for a bit. Very nice guy.

I suppose neither of those two things are surprising, but I thought it was cool.

Welp, that's my story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Cacahuate posted:

Thank you for reminding me that I need to finish this episode tomorrow.

• Locked thread