Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
"I THOUGHT I HAD METAL FUCKEN LEGS"

Turn around and he's tried to jump on top of a helicopter with his maxed out leg augs. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

So has nobody posted this yet? Mega64 did a skit on Deus Ex which caused me to try the original game for the first time and falling in loving love with it!

Here's the link to their video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js02m-7qHyE&feature=youtu.be

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That's been posted quite recently.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

FactsAreUseless posted:

The best use for the crossbow is escaping UNATCO without killing any of my former teammates.

Remember: a GEP takedown is always the most silent takedown.

If you shoot Manderley with a GEP and everyone else in UNATCO is dead, does it make a sound?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Playing through this for the first time in years, using the Steam downoad and the hi-res pack.

Quick question though: does anyone else find the whole Hong Kong level to be quite a jarring disruption of pacing? The game starts off fun, trundles along nicely, and then I get to Hong Kong and all I care about is getting through it so that I can start having fun again. It's just so big and empty with loads of backtracking.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Sorry, Hong Kong owns. I guess your copy must be broken?

I just start :gizz: all over the place every time I get to Hong Kong and that soundtrack starts up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzvw8uSWucM

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002
The worst part of Hong Kong was the helibase before you actually get there. What a strange and pointless level.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I liked how extensive the air vents were in that level. I liked to think of the MJ-12 soldiers starring in their own Aliens movie as I dropped out of vents, stabbed one through the neck and dragged off his corpse, only to appear out of another one on the other side of the level.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

XausF1 posted:

Sorry, Hong Kong owns. I guess your copy must be broken?

I kind of understand, New York was big and open but it was fairly easy to navigate (the level design was very horizontal and everything was just tall buildings and roads/alleys) and you had a clear objective, Hong Kong's design was much more labyrinthine (I still can never find that one tunnel with the drowned guy and the aug canisters), there was a lot more vertical navigation to trip you up more, and there's a lot more blundering around until you find the right person.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I used to get intimidated by Hong Kong's level design so every playthrough I'd always just follow the exact same paths to VersaLife and the Lucky Money and so forth in fear of getting lost. But, one playthrough I just said gently caress it all to hell and just ran around and explored every nook and cranny of the map. I can now think back to it and really remember where everything is, all the paths, where the canals go etc. etc.

It just needs a little bit more learning effort than required by the other maps.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Yeah, Hong Kong is really easy to get lost in. The music makes up for it entirely, though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've played through Hong Kong quite a few times and found something completely new every time. And sometimes I can't find areas that I remember seeing on previous playthroughs. I really hope that Human Revolution can live up to this.

Nameless Mod was filled with areas like this, just sayin'.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stump Truck posted:

If you shoot Manderley with a GEP and everyone else in UNATCO is dead, does it make a sound?
It means you killed Private Lloyd you heartless son of a bitch.

Edit: I'd like somebody to do an entire mod in the style of Deus Ex Recut. Specifically these ideas: First, when you're offered a weapon by Paul on the docks, all three options are to pick the GEP gun. ("I'll take the GEP gun. I was never trained in its operation.") And when you kill Anna Navarre on the airplane, I want Alex to go "Oh my god! That was Agent Navarre! Well done, J.C.!"

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 8, 2011

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Farbtoner posted:

(I still can never find that one tunnel with the drowned guy and the aug canisters)

I have always known about that, since the dialogue tells you to go find it, but this year was the first time I actually found it. Also discovered the barge in the first level.

My roommate's doing well. He saved paul, killphrased anna, and is flying through a bunch of stuff. He didn't save smuggler though, even though he tried. I guess he went to visit him before visiting dowd, and he got the message as he started the new level. "What the gently caress, I was just there and he said 'wtf are you doing here gtfo', I thought he woulda noticed and gotten out, stupid fucker".

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Hey Goons, Deus Ex new vision mod just released with version 1.0

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision/news/new-vision-version-10-released

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

The models still look the same? Huh.

Rythian fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 8, 2011

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Does anyone have a link for the latest version of Biomod? The Gamefront link on ModDB is down and googling only brings up beta 0.8...

edit: turns out registering on ModDB allows you to download direct from their servers. Crisis averted!

Convex fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 8, 2011

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I always thought of the Hong Kong as particularly confusing, so I made a map of it

Looking at it from above for the first time is when I realised how embarrasingly simple the layout is :unsmith:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wish the guy who did the DX10 renderer would make it compatible with New Vision's custom renderer by merging the two or something. :(

Rythian posted:

Well, yes, it's a texture replacement mod. Textures are not the same thing as models.

Convex posted:

Does anyone have a link for the latest version of Biomod? The Gamefront link on ModDB is down and googling only brings up beta 0.8...

edit: turns out registering on ModDB allows you to download direct from their servers. Crisis averted!

If you wait five seconds or so it will automatically shunt you over to a mirror, normally. Bit lovely that the Filefront mirror is down, I know the Biomod dude posts in here, so: Biomod dude, you should reupload it to Filefront and fix the link!

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 8, 2011

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I wish the guy who did the DX10 renderer would make it compatible with New Vision's custom renderer by merging the two or something. :(

I haven't tried NV yet, but doesn't it use kentie's DX10 renderer already? I can't see any mention of NV having a "custom renderer" of its own, it just requires you to install one of the existing ones.

Rythian posted:

This only replaces environmental textures, the model replacement mod is called HDTP and it's been in limbo for years.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cray posted:

I haven't tried NV yet, but doesn't it use kentie's DX10 renderer already? I can't see any mention of NV having a "custom renderer" of its own, it just requires you to install one of the existing ones.

I'm pretty sure NV comes with a custom OpenGL renderer. I might be wrong, since I'm going off stuff from the last beta rather than this full release.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm pretty sure NV comes with a custom OpenGL renderer. I might be wrong, since I'm going off stuff from the last beta rather than this full release.

The full version apparently allows you to choose between the OpenGL renderer and kentie's DX10 one, with DX10 being the recommended option.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

shao kong posted:

The worst part of Hong Kong was the helibase before you actually get there. What a strange and pointless level.

I would have liked it a whole lot more if flooding the barracks with poison gas actually killed the guys inside instead of just accumulating up at the other side of the room.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cray posted:

The full version apparently allows you to choose between the OpenGL renderer and kentie's DX10 one, with DX10 being the recommended option.

Oh, that's awesome, then. :aaa:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Farbtoner posted:

I kind of understand, New York was big and open but it was fairly easy to navigate (the level design was very horizontal and everything was just tall buildings and roads/alleys) and you had a clear objective, Hong Kong's design was much more labyrinthine (I still can never find that one tunnel with the drowned guy and the aug canisters), there was a lot more vertical navigation to trip you up more, and there's a lot more blundering around until you find the right person.

Explore the freezer. Yeah, I had to use an FAQ to find that one, after an hour of swimming around the canal.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Are the textures normal mapped? The DX10 renderer supports normal mapped textures.

Also does it replace fonts and UI elements because if it does I'm going to shoot myself in the head.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I think it's about time to replay DX what with this New Vision being released. Other than that and Shifter/Biomod, are any of the other mods worth installing? I'm thinking about HDTP but it hasn't been updated in 3 years so I feel it might just be annoyingly spotty.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Alright I hosed up a setting somewhere, I was messing around with renderers to see if I could lower the cpu usage on this old lovely PC I've been using, I switched back to the regular D3D one and now this is happening to some textures:

What do I gotta change to fix that?

Edit: Disregard I was on 16bit color mode! Although if there's a way to fix that issue in 16bit mode I'd like to know, I actually like the contrast and sharpness compared to 32bit.

Reive fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 9, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Reive posted:

Edit: Disregard I was on 16bit color mode! Although if there's a way to fix that issue in 16bit mode I'd like to know, I actually like the contrast and sharpness compared to 32bit.

Seriously? 16 bit color makes the entire game look like rear end. Here's a comparison shot:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Sam. posted:

Yeah, Hong Kong is really easy to get lost in. The music makes up for it entirely, though.

Listening to the Hong Kong theme now. It sounds good in real life, too.

edit: Thanks lets gently caress bro, it's been a super long trip back. Plus, imgur no longer allows anonymous uploading in HK!

hong kong divorce lunch fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 9, 2011

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Does anyone know of a mirror for the New Vision texture pack? I can't seem to be able to download it from Gamefront (around 150kB downloaded after 15 minutes of waiting...). If not, it would be great if someone could set up a torrent or something for it. I have a decent connection and could help seed it for some fellow goons.

E: Never mind, seems to be working now. Speed is slow though, only ~120kB/s or so.

Smol fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 9, 2011

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

synertia posted:

Imagine a photo here that shows a picture I took from my window in HK. It's a lot more impressive but I can't get it on here. drat you waffle images, why did you have to leave?
Most everyone uses https://www.imgur.com to host images now, it even has extensions

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've been meaning to ask this for years: does anyone else think that JC Denton sounds like Cornfed from Duckman? Because that is the first thing I heard the first time I tried Deus Ex several years ago.

And if you think about it, he kind of acts like him too (socially awkward, but skilled to the point of absurdity).

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

synertia posted:

edit: Thanks lets gently caress bro, it's been a super long trip back. Plus, imgur no longer allows anonymous uploading in HK!

:ohdear: You didn't go to the canals at night, did you? I hear it's not advisaburr.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

A quick question about Shifter: do weapon mods you install to the normal weapons carry to the unique variants?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Smol posted:

A quick question about Shifter: do weapon mods you install to the normal weapons carry to the unique variants?

Mod carry-over is not a thing that happens in the game, regardless of whether the weapons in question are unique or not.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Guess I'll have to hold on to the mods I come across until I get my hands on some unique weapons then. :stare:

Smol fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 9, 2011

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Just updated the FAQ with some new stuff y'all

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
So is it just me or does Alex Jacobson sound almost exactly like ulillillia?

Uli: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdX9vQ-2a0g
Alex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF0H_Nh5hoQ&t=8m08s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Seriously? 16 bit color makes the entire game look like rear end. Here's a comparison shot:

I honestly can't tell the difference besides the greenness of the first, which in turn just reminds me of The Matrix.