Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Catkin posted:

Wait what? I'm going to need some explanation here :crossarms: Not that I don't believe you, knowing some of the bizarre leaps of logic that sometimes happen in these games.

Elizabeth (I think that's her name) is the richest woman in town. Therefore she doesn't have to work/gets the best food so she's really fat. If you slip under 20 wood or fire she shows up going "You poor thing! It must be hard to be a farmer! Here, have some wood/food."

But if you run out of wood/food after that she shows up again and basically says "Well, you obviously can't take care of yourself! So I'll HAVE to marry you so you'll stay alive!"

If I remember correctly she marries you even if you're a girl, or if you're married already.

Also all of the men in town dream of marrying her since she's so rich and beautiful. The most expensive of the bachelors will actually complain about settling for the main character since he was in love with Elizabeth.

Like I said, I know way too much about this loving game.

e: Found a picture of the lovely lass.

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

I'll settle for shooting myself over being forced into marriage like that. :suicide:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That's pretty funny, but man I'd be pissed if I had to marry fat Aeris.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Dunno what you dudes are talking about, she ain't that fat. Sure, she has some chipmunk cheeks but check out that bust and power man hands. Bet she gives a hand job worthy of the gods. :swoon:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

big duck equals goose posted:

Dunno what you dudes are talking about, she ain't that fat. Sure, she has some chipmunk cheeks but check out that bust and power man hands. Bet she gives a hand job worthy of the gods. :swoon:

She reminds me of the old viking woman caricature.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Zosologist posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a harvest moon game, unfortunately the wii is the only console I have available.

Which one should I choose?

I enjoyed Animal Parade, but I had more fun with Tree of Tranquility despite Animal Parade having more 'features'. Actually Tree of Tranquility is what got me back into playing Harvest Moon, so I'd recommend getting that. This is because ToT is really accessible and since I forgot almost everything about HM from when I was a kid, it was a good 'reintroduction' to the series, IMHO. Waggle action is optional in all the Wii games.

Also thanks to you guys I gave in and got Rune Factory 3. RFF kind of turned me off Rune Factory for a bit, and I didn't like the main character's looks in RF3...but everyone's raving about it for a reason, right?

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 7, 2011

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Apocadall posted:

Harvest Moon 64. There might have been a Gamecube one that was decent though. I think most of the Wii ones incorporate waggle stuff to them so I wouldn't enjoy them but you might.

Back to Nature on the PS1, it's one of the best Harvest Moon games.

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.

Akarshi posted:

I enjoyed Animal Parade, but I had more fun with Tree of Tranquility despite Animal Parade having more 'features'. Actually Tree of Tranquility is what got me back into playing Harvest Moon, so I'd recommend getting that.

Also thanks to you guys I gave in and got Rune Factory 3. RFF kind of turned me off Rune Factory for a bit, and I didn't like the main character's looks in RF3...but everyone's raving about it for a reason, right?

I reccomend ToT too. It's not perfect (lots of loading screens, weird voice cues I wish were mute-able) but it has a lot of nice and useful features that are definitely improvements and overall it's pretty fun to play. I rented Animal Parade and ended up returning it the next day; the frame rate issues were just ever-present and intolerable for me.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Elizabeth (I think that's her name) is the richest woman in town. Therefore she doesn't have to work/gets the best food so she's really fat. If you slip under 20 wood or fire she shows up going "You poor thing! It must be hard to be a farmer! Here, have some wood/food."

But if you run out of wood/food after that she shows up again and basically says "Well, you obviously can't take care of yourself! So I'll HAVE to marry you so you'll stay alive!"

If I remember correctly she marries you even if you're a girl, or if you're married already.

Also all of the men in town dream of marrying her since she's so rich and beautiful. The most expensive of the bachelors will actually complain about settling for the main character since he was in love with Elizabeth.

Ha. That is great :haw: I think I might give that game a try...

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Back to Nature on the PS1, it's one of the best Harvest Moon games.

He said the Wii is the only console he has, but I'll agree Back to Nature is one of the best.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Checked back a few pages, didn't see this.

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny is coming out October 18th and is $40 on PS3 and $30 on Wii. Definitely picking this up for PS3 at that price, maybe it'll be fun to use a Move for it?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Policenaut posted:

maybe it'll be fun to use a Move for it?

Is this ever the case? :sweatdrop:

Still, I had forgotten about this. This game seems to be upping the ante RF3 set with the main character being a human/Wooly hybrid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rune_Factory:_Tides_of_Destiny

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Goddamnit Microsoft fanboys like farming too, guys. Really. :(

Jesus Toast
Sep 30, 2005

GruntyThrst posted:

Goddamnit Microsoft fanboys like farming too, guys. Really. :(

Maybe they're just doing a revision for Kinect support.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Is rune factory frontier a good game if I use ocarina to turn all the runies up to max? I never really got into the runefactory games.
Should I look into A Wonderful Life, or Magical Melody at all?
Also what are the main advantages/drawbacks to ToT vs AP?

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 8, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Knee-deep in my RF3 playback, and Pia is even funnier than i remember. Her seriousface when she talks about eating squids slays me. And the eventual conversations you have with Rusk over vegetables, where you chastise him for not liking potatoes, etc (Wars have been fought over potatoes. Think about that the next time you dismiss them!), are some of the best comedy in the game.

I love every character in this game except Marian. She's a bit much.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Is this ever the case? :sweatdrop:

Hey, Resident Evil 5 was kinda fun.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Knee-deep in my RF3 playback, and Pia is even funnier than i remember. Her seriousface when she talks about eating squids slays me. And the eventual conversations you have with Rusk over vegetables, where you chastise him for not liking potatoes, etc (Wars have been fought over potatoes. Think about that the next time you dismiss them!), are some of the best comedy in the game.

I love every character in this game except Marian. She's a bit much.

I've just gotten around to RF3 and it's pretty great right from the getgo. Insane flower girl starts manipulating you and your memory loss right from off the bat with that "you already agreed to stay here! you just forgot!!" I also like how she has that manic giggle all the time, occasionally followed by you going "uh, heh heh... :stare:"

And what's the mechanic for upgrading seeds? You sickle them and occasionally you'll get better seeds that you sell, after which they're just sold at that level for the same price?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Zenzirouj posted:

And what's the mechanic for upgrading seeds? You sickle them and occasionally you'll get better seeds that you sell, after which they're just sold at that level for the same price?

Exactly this. I guess you could also use greenifer to up them as well.

And good god this game keeps on giving. One of Carmen's bulletins has her ask you a bunch of questions about the type of girl you like. One of the questions asks you whether you prefer a woman with a brother or without, and you can instead say you prefer the brother, meaning Carlos. I love this game so much.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
They seem to randomly increase when you harvest a plant. I've upgraded most of my seeds at least a few levels each season without doing anything special.

Also I was trying to hoard all the seeds (and filled up half my fridge doing so) until I realised that the general store only sells seeds at the highest level you've reached - and you don't seem to need to sell them first, they just automatically appear there. Also, the random drops from clearing your field each season will also be the highest level seeds, as far as I can tell. So you only need to store the rare/expensive seeds and the rest you can buy each season.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

naptalan posted:

They seem to randomly increase when you harvest a plant. I've upgraded most of my seeds at least a few levels each season without doing anything special.

Also I was trying to hoard all the seeds (and filled up half my fridge doing so) until I realised that the general store only sells seeds at the highest level you've reached - and you don't seem to need to sell them first, they just automatically appear there. Also, the random drops from clearing your field each season will also be the highest level seeds, as far as I can tell. So you only need to store the rare/expensive seeds and the rest you can buy each season.

I'm pretty sure you have to sell either the seed or a crop of equal level to unlock that level in the shop, it's not automatic.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Zenzirouj posted:

Here's a great way to both level up your seeds and keep the soil healthy.

Before you plant what you're actually going to grow, plant some cheap flowers that aren't in season in the plot the day before. In any season that isn't fall this is Charm Blue, and in fall this is Toyherb.

A day later the places where you planted seeds will turn into withered grass. Take your hoe and till that into the soil, and THEN plant your seeds. This way you don't have to worry about the health of the soil, and the produce you get will be a level higher than it would be. If you don't get any seeds randomly from the first 8 things you pick up just take your sickle to the last one but it's rare for me to have to do that. Then just take one of the higher level seeds and huck it into your shipping bin, and now the store will sell seeds at that level automatically.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny's release has been bumped up to September 27th

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I do hope this game is as insane as I imagine it will be, and I cannot wait for it to drop.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Zosologist posted:

Is rune factory frontier a good game if I use ocarina to turn all the runies up to max? I never really got into the runefactory games.

It's ok, definitely better than the first two Rune Factory games on the DS I think anyways. Still not as streamlined or crazy as RF3 though, but still very entertaining.

Also holy poo poo I just found out you can go up to level 10000 in RF3, and that your stats max at 65500 or something even though the visual cap is 999. And also that the damage cap is much, much higher than 9999 which is also just a visual cap. This is some disgaea poo poo right here.

Suddenly Tentacles
Sep 14, 2008

This looks amazing, I mean holy poo poo-- pulling islands out of the ocean with a giant? gently caress yeah.

I'm really excited, but at the same time I'm still pretty disappointed that we probably won't get the option to be gay. :sigh:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Suddenly Tentacles posted:

This looks amazing, I mean holy poo poo-- pulling islands out of the ocean with a giant? gently caress yeah.

I'm really excited, but at the same time I'm still pretty disappointed that we probably won't get the option to be gay. :sigh:

Is it possible in the Japanese version?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Aw hell yes. Every nerd I know cautioned me against buying a Wii, but I've never had reason to regret my decision so far. Look at that loving thing. It's like cutesypop Shadow of the Colossus. I was sold the instant I read this line

Tides of Destiny gives you access to a giant named Ymir, who you can ride.

Is it possible in the Japanese version?

Was it ever possible in any HM game? I know could les it up in HM For Girls on GBA but it got removed for the US version (and replaced with the option to hetero-marry an obviously gay man :psyduck: ). I've never heard of it being done elsewhere.

It really should though. Even straight people like to be homos in videogames sometimes, everyone I know who played RF3 would have gay-married Carlos in a second. C'mon developers, get out of the 50s already. If romances as terrible as the ones in DA2 can be applauded for creepy awkward gay sex, surely you can let two chibi boys hold hands in a farming sim...

Corridor fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 25, 2011

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Plus, the only real result of having gay options is that Fox News blows a gasket over it and you get a bunch of free publicity.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What are the version differences in Tides of Destiny, anyone know?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The PS3 version has prettier graphics and Trophies, and I think maybe better load times? I'm not sure on that one. I know the PS3 version also has Move support if you just have to have that waggle experience in HD.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I can't believe the gay thing is even an issue anymore. For gently caress's sake the only people who give a poo poo are radical social conservatives and they don't play video games because THEY ARE CORRUPTING OUR YOUTH AAAA.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Corridor posted:

It really should though. Even straight people like to be homos in videogames sometimes, everyone I know who played RF3 would have gay-married Carlos in a second.
There really should have been an option to be gay in RF3, if only because the selection of eligible men was every bit as weird as the ladies.

I would have gay-married Blaise, personally. A cowboy master chef who can bake bread that's so good it inspires you to come up with new crafting recipes? DONE.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Plus Gaius is just, well, gay. If he didn't have the hots for Evelyn you'd totally think that guy was homo.

*Hand in gold ore*
Gaius: "OH! Is this for me?! You sure know what I LOVE! Is there something you want to tell me...?"
MC: "No, there's no deep meaning behind it!"
Gaius: "Ah, I knew that."
MC: ... :cry:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

I can't believe the gay thing is even an issue anymore. For gently caress's sake the only people who give a poo poo are radical social conservatives and they don't play video games because THEY ARE CORRUPTING OUR YOUTH AAAA.

Hey, just because they don't play games doesn't mean they should let anybody else have a good time.

I'd have gay married Gaius, too. He was dreamy. :swoon:

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

Wandering Knitter posted:

And for people looking for recommendations, I suggest hunting down Shepherd's Crossing 2 for the DS if you want to hate yourself and the concept of farming games for awhile :shepicide:

I've played that game so many loving times

And have debated writing a FAQ for it

I own both Shepherd's Crossing 1 and 2, and I really find the series charming for it's odd dialogue. For example, the opening to Shepherd's Crossing 2 with the two guys screaming, "CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS? HE KNOWS HOW TO SOW SEEDS WITH THE A BUTTON!" or the mayor telling you, "What kind of man would want a woman who isn't preparing blankets for him?" Sure, it's pretty static, but goddamn if I don't find the really disjointed dialogue to be really charming in an odd way. I stopped playing after my wolf chasing dog ran off in the game and then half my sheep were eaten by wolves though and only have two bedcovers made.

For people on the fence about trying out Shepherd's Crossing 2, you also get the joy of slaughtering your own animals for their meat. Also, everything in the farm is nameable, including farm tools. There's no relationship system in the first game, but each farming "milestone" grants you a short cutscene and opens up more items to farm and collect for. The second game is similar, but introduces a cash system whereas in the first game it was just trading objects. You also get to cook and share it with the townspeople. It's charming, addicting and infuriating all at once.

I do prefer the original game a lot more as Brammy the alcoholic duck (and family) is awesome and doesn't show up in the sequel.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Are there any pre-order bonuses this time around?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

yellowcar posted:

Are there any pre-order bonuses this time around?

Tale of Two Towns comes with a plush llama, from memory. Dunno about Tides of Destiny.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Julet Esqu posted:

I'd have gay married Gaius, too. He was dreamy. :swoon:

I tried, but alas.

Gaius: I like Evelyn but am adorably incompetent at showing her how I feel.
Micah: Just marry me instead!
Gaius: But you're already married.

Details, details! :argh:

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Lobster Fancy posted:

I remember being completely baffled by the Runey system in Frontier. I could be wrong, but I don't remember it being explained properly anywhere in-game and the information I had to get about it came from internet forums. I had no clue why my crops weren't growing and it was frustrating.

At this point I'd love a Harvest Moon game that was stripped back down to the essentials (meaning no clumsy stamina system, not having to set up a shop to sell your crops like in A Wonderful Life, slightly smaller maps, etc.), that didn't have a plot that had something to do with a troubled Harvest Goddess or something.

I think 64 and Friends of Mineral Town absolutely nailed it, everything since has been futile efforts to build off of it. Though I really like Rune Factory also.

It might've already been posted in this thread but in the SA Gamedev Competition someone made a very neat Harvest Moon-style freeware game called Deadweed, in which you're a farmer in the old west. Very simplistic, but fun.
http://labtanner.com/gamedev/index.php?title=GameDevVI:Deadweed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lavender Philtrum posted:

It might've already been posted in this thread but in the SA Gamedev Competition someone made a very neat Harvest Moon-style freeware game called Deadweed, in which you're a farmer in the old west. Very simplistic, but fun.
http://labtanner.com/gamedev/index.php?title=GameDevVI:Deadweed

I hope this game is as good as I've decided it should be.

• Locked thread