Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

Toast Museum posted:

:stare:

WHY

Because bigger numbers = better.

The longer it takes to complete, the more deleted your files are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I hope this is an okay place to ask:

In one of the sh/sc threads someone posted a link to a website that walked through how to use almost all of the functionalities of Excel. Macros and so forth. Anyone have an idea what it may have been?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm using Windows 7. It appears that if I move a start menu shortcut, it never appears in the frequently used list when you first click the start button. Does anyone know why this is, or how to prevent it being the case?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I'm scanning in some documents which are slightly but not significantly bigger than my A4 scanner. Therefore, I'm turning them sideways and scanning the top half and then the bottom half.

Is it reasonable to assume that there is some simple program that can stitch these JPEGs back together?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Toast Museum posted:

WHY

If you only do one pass, someone might break out his electron microscope and, and over the course of 9 months, potentially infer the bits from possible residual magnetic fields!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Toast Museum posted:

WHY

I would hope it's because they never removed passes targeting obsolete storage. Or maybe they didn't know that's why some of the passes are there.

Although either one is still pretty bad.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I've got a mildly annoying issue: I have an external USB hard disc that is pretty slow to 'wake up' (6-7 seconds). Which is fine, except that at the logon screen I have to wait until it's done before my USB keyboard can also 'wake up' and I can type in the password.

Is there any way to tell Windows to "check" the keyboard first and not wait for the HDD?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I have a friend running Windows 7 Home and wants to backup to a network drive. The Windows backup program won't allow this, so are there any free alternatives that anyone can recommend? He'd like one that can do versioning.

He tried Comodo Backup and SyncBack Pro and didn't like them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Is there a program that gives me more fine grained control of the sound outputs?

Not all programs let me configure exactly what output they use, and I'd like to split them up in certain ways. Currently I have game sounds come from the desktop speakers, and voicechat from the headphones. I'd like to have my music go out a 3rd output.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Is there any way to tell what edition of Windows 7 a product key is for? A friend of mine is having some issues using the Windows 7 product key he purchased from eBay sometime last year (I know buying off eBay is a bad idea, I told him that but he did it anyway). He tried installing using my Ultimate DVD but was told his key was for a different version of Win 7. He reckons it was for Win 7 Professional so I'm thinking it could be an OEM key, alternatively if it's a VLK he may have to use an Enterprise DVD.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Arrath posted:

Is there a program that gives me more fine grained control of the sound outputs?

Not all programs let me configure exactly what output they use, and I'd like to split them up in certain ways. Currently I have game sounds come from the desktop speakers, and voicechat from the headphones. I'd like to have my music go out a 3rd output.

I really, really want a program like this but I don't think it exists. I think the best you can hope for is the application you are using can set the output itself. If I am wrong someone please post a solution.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

jassa posted:

Is there any way to tell what edition of Windows 7 a product key is for? A friend of mine is having some issues using the Windows 7 product key he purchased from eBay sometime last year (I know buying off eBay is a bad idea, I told him that but he did it anyway). He tried installing using my Ultimate DVD but was told his key was for a different version of Win 7. He reckons it was for Win 7 Professional so I'm thinking it could be an OEM key, alternatively if it's a VLK he may have to use an Enterprise DVD.
He could try installing Win 7 from a bootable USB thumbdrive and edit/delete the configuration file that tells Win 7 what edition it is.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

hirvox posted:

He could try installing Win 7 from a bootable USB thumbdrive and edit/delete the configuration file that tells Win 7 what edition it is.

Not exactly what I was after, but that's pretty handy regardless! The article doesn't mention what the variables for [Channel] and [Retail] are though, though I guess they'd be something like this:

quote:

[EditionID]
Ultimate
Professional
HomePremium
HomeBasic
Starter

[Channel]
Retail
OEM

[VL]

Yes/no? Have I missed any?

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

jassa posted:

Not exactly what I was after, but that's pretty handy regardless! The article doesn't mention what the variables for [Channel] and [Retail] are though, though I guess they'd be something like this:

Yes/no? Have I missed any?
If you delete the file entirely, it'll come up with a menu to select which version when you install.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I'm pretty sure if you just delete that part it gives you a menu to pick from at the start of the installation process.
Not sure if that includes a Retail/OEM choice or if you need to declare that before, though.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

jassa posted:

The article doesn't mention what the variables for [Channel] and [Retail] are though
Yes it does.

article posted:

Edition ID tells Windows setup which edition should be installed.

Channel can be either OEM or Retail.

VL represents Volume License and it can be either 1 (for True) or 0 (for False).
Just pick one value for each variable and try various combinations until you get it right. Or just delete ei.cfg and select the correct edition during setup.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

kri kri posted:

I really, really want a program like this but I don't think it exists. I think the best you can hope for is the application you are using can set the output itself. If I am wrong someone please post a solution.

drat, thats what I was afraid of.

So next up, does anyone know of a media player that lets you configure the output device?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Armourking posted:

If you delete the file entirely, it'll come up with a menu to select which version when you install.

zachol posted:

I'm pretty sure if you just delete that part it gives you a menu to pick from at the start of the installation process.
Not sure if that includes a Retail/OEM choice or if you need to declare that before, though.

Thanks guys, very useful to know. :)

hirvox posted:

Yes it does.

Just pick one value for each variable and try various combinations until you get it right. Or just delete ei.cfg and select the correct edition during setup.

Ah, I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Sizzlechest posted:

I have a friend running Windows 7 Home and wants to backup to a network drive. The Windows backup program won't allow this, so are there any free alternatives that anyone can recommend? He'd like one that can do versioning.

So it doesn't let you do it even if you map a drive letter to the network share?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Gromit posted:

So it doesn't let you do it even if you map a drive letter to the network share?

Nope.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Apparently this is one of the limitations of win 7 home/premium.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

What's the easiest way to create a USB key with a folder on it (some 20 GB) and an installer script/exe/whatever that will take the folder and copy it to a destination on the C: drive.

It needs to be easy enough for a bus driver to use.

I haven't used Windows in ages so I have no idea how to go about this.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
:negative:

Any suggestions for a USB password crack? Have a netbook with an unknown admin password, and rebuilding is out of the question. I tried Ophcrack but for one reason or another, it wouldn't boot - it would run through the standard Linux boot messages but at a certain point, stop making progress. What's my next best option?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Any suggestions for a USB password crack? Have a netbook with an unknown admin password, and rebuilding is out of the question. I tried Ophcrack but for one reason or another, it wouldn't boot - it would run through the standard Linux boot messages but at a certain point, stop making progress. What's my next best option?

Try http://www.pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

I've used this many times and it works quite well.

I've even helped someone working out of state run it on a computer with a lost admin password.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That is exactly the one I decided on, and it works. Joy! Thanks for the recommendation.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm sure this has been asked many times but my searches have come up empty.

I wrote a couple of classes for work that use embedded youtube videos. However, the classroom they are taught in do not have internet access (wtf). So, I need to download the videos somehow. This seems to be easy enough, except that I don't have admin rights, so I can't install anything (I really don't want to try and mess with our really, really dumb IT department to try and get them to install something).

So, is there a youtube video downloader out there someone can recommend that doesn't require installation and isn't loaded with some creepy Russian spyware?

HelfMyselp
Nov 2, 2004

Dude, check it. It's a trash can. And a rollerblade.

Now shovel some cheese curls into my trash hole...

bewbies posted:

I wrote a couple of classes for work that use embedded youtube videos. However, the classroom they are taught in do not have internet access (wtf). So, I need to download the videos somehow. This seems to be easy enough, except that I don't have admin rights, so I can't install anything (I really don't want to try and mess with our really, really dumb IT department to try and get them to install something).

So, is there a youtube video downloader out there someone can recommend that doesn't require installation and isn't loaded with some creepy Russian spyware?
If you can get at the embedded vidoes and get actual links, you can try KeepVid. There's a standalone program, but I've never had to use it. Just dump the link in the box, hit Download and right-click the version you want. Not sure if the Java requirements will cause issues with admin rights if it's not up-to-date, though. Also might not be good enough if you have to download 200 videos or something like that.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

bewbies posted:

A copy of Portable Firefox running off a thumb drive with the VideoDownloadHelper extension (or one of the many other similar extensions) might do the trick.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

bewbies posted:

I don't want to be the voice of reason here, but this sounds like a good way to get fired. Its against the youtube ToS to download videos, and the last thing you'd need is to lose your job over this.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I'm looking for something very specific and my searches have turned up mostly empty.

I'm making a rescue/utilities USB key with entirely portable applications and I'm looking for some kind of portable OS or PE similar to bartPE but more recent. The only stuff I've found was either pre configured bootable tools with apps (but no file manager for my other stuff or OS to run them with) or complete portable OS's like Tiny7 (but I think these are considered :filez:).

Any help would be appreciated.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows sounds like a fit for you.
http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Hmm.. it says in the documentation that it needs windows xp (like bartPE)... I was hoping for something based on win7 but I'll check it out, thanks.

edit: to clarify all I'm looking for is a way to boot a file manager with a rudimentary OS (if such a thing exists) letting me run basic tools if windows doesn't want to boot.

Daynab fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 11, 2011

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Daynab posted:

Hmm.. it says in the documentation that it needs windows xp (like bartPE)... I was hoping for something based on win7 but I'll check it out, thanks.

edit: to clarify all I'm looking for is a way to boot a file manager with a rudimentary OS (if such a thing exists) letting me run basic tools if windows doesn't want to boot.

Yep, that'll do it.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I know you've fixed this now, but kon-boot is an awesome program that dynamically rewrites the windows kernel on the fly, letting you login to any account with no knowledge of the password. 32bit version is free (64bit is a few bux) and you can make a usb stick using unetbootin.

blunt fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 12, 2011

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I'm looking for video playback software for reviewing cctv footage. A while back someone posted a link to a great one that would scan the footage for motion and highlight it in the scrub bar. Anyone have a link to it or something similar?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

No software answer: find the youtube link you want open in the browser, replace "youtube.com" with "pwnyoutube.com" in the address bar. Go there and select a tool to use to get the video.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've recently tried to log into a college bookstore website with Internet Explorer 8 with 128-bit encryption on XP, but it will not complete the login.

https://www.eaglepridebookstore.com is the site.

When I go to the login screen, I get the warning about secure and non-secure content. I've tried selecting both with zero difference in results. I've reset Internet Explorer, tried adding the site to my trusted sites list, in compatibility mode, etc. Nothing works.

Oddly enough, the process IS getting the correct password/username, though. If I intentionally put in the wrong password, it kicks me back to the login screen (as before), but it gives me the warning of an incorrect username/password.

Firefox seems to work okay, though.

Any thoughts?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sizzlechest posted:

CrashPlan is what you need. And as a bonus, it's free for noncommercial use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

CrashPlan is what you need. And as a bonus, it's free for noncommercial use.

That looks like a cloud backup service. Are you sure that will allow you to back up files from a PC to a NAS?