Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Definitely pass on that car. It's obviously been modded by a very scatterbrained individual, just by looking at how random and non-cohesive all the little mods are. $2700 is not that great of a price either unless it comes with service records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, I sent him a message asking what turbo was in it and for some pictures of the engine bay. I am worried at how low the price is, but I bet it would be a fun little second car if it's not a mess. I am not patient enough to wait for a winter Miata.

Also saw this one, which I want just for the BULLET RESISTANT WINDOWS and PRIVACY CURTIANS
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/2506828743.html

I actually miss the privacy curtains my E32 740il had. And not sure if it was sarcasm or not, but I think there was in fact a protection package/model available with factory bullet resistant windows. As you've probably figured out though, I wouldn't go near a 15 year old 7 series.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fermunky posted:

I actually miss the privacy curtains my E32 740il had. And not sure if it was sarcasm or not, but I think there was in fact a protection package/model available with factory bullet resistant windows. As you've probably figured out though, I wouldn't go near a 15 year old 7 series.

Oh, yeah, no chance. I just wonder about the history of that particular car. Who the original owner was and why they needed the protection, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh, yeah, no chance. I just wonder about the history of that particular car. Who the original owner was and why they needed the protection, etc.

I think we can assume with 95% or greater certainty the answers to those questions are 1.) drug dealer, 2.) other drug dealers.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Whoa, man. Someone driving a nice luxury car? Must be a drug dealer. Stop watching so many movies.

E: VVV Popemobile has bulletproof windows too. He deals in the more spiritual drugs?

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 8, 2011

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lowclock posted:

Whoa, man. Someone driving a nice luxury car? Must be a drug dealer. Stop watching so many movies.
with bulletproof windows

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Glad to see most of you haven't lost your sense of humor.

If it helps, pretty sure I sold my 94 740il to a drug dealer. The day he picked it up, he called me just a few miles away, asking if I could pick the car up until he was bailed out the next day. :stare:

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Come on now, those double-thick windows do a really good job of blocking out wind noise...

craigslist posted:

Fully Automatic

nevermind :(

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Oh man, it's a good feeling to see that that bizarre weasel with the 318ti he wanted to sell with the grubby as gently caress interior, bad clearcoat and windows that would just fall into the doors if you touched the switches is STILL trying to sell it on craigslist. Looks like he might have cleaned it out though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Aren't 318tis slow, big, and get terrible mileage for a 4-cyl?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yes, no, yes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Tab8715 posted:

Aren't 318tis slow, big, and get terrible mileage for a 4-cyl?

It was the first BMW I ever looked at back when I was wanting to buy one. I didn't know :[

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Did you know: The Sony PSP portable device can also play games?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Bluetooth?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Nah, PSP only has 802.11b. It's more than fast enough for GT1 and INPA menus, though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Sweet.

By the way, that moron with his 316i is back with his subpar e36 and subpar grammar. This time he's closed of Wiltshire Blvd for a lavish photo shoot for his whip.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1637913

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Been doing more work on the 2002. Mostly mechanical (Eibachs, Bilsteins, and new suspension rubber), but also some cosmetic.

Made a new shift boot to match the interior panels.

Replaced the bolts on the steering wheel hub with some green titanium numbers. :whatup: Also repainted the horn surround and made a new insert for the horn button. I found a full-res image of the old Roundel and printed it on to metal reflective cardstock. It looks pretty rad. Also painted the cluster surround black. I don't care if it's not stock. That fake wood thing was hideous and not befitting something as nice as a BMW.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

revmoo posted:

Sweet.

By the way, that moron with his 316i is back with his subpar e36 and subpar grammar. This time he's closed of Wiltshire Blvd for a lavish photo shoot for his whip.

I swear that forum has the biggest rear end hats in the BMW owner community. Anyways, I love the new shifter cover! Definately unique.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

McMadCow posted:

Been doing more work on the 2002. Mostly mechanical (Eibachs, Bilsteins, and new suspension rubber), but also some cosmetic.

Replaced the bolts on the steering wheel hub with some green titanium numbers. :whatup: Also repainted the horn surround and made a new insert for the horn button. I found a full-res image of the old Roundel and printed it on to metal reflective cardstock. It looks pretty rad. Also painted the cluster surround black. I don't care if it's not stock. That fake wood thing was hideous and not befitting something as nice as a BMW.

Do you have a dedicated thread or site somewhere for your car? I swear its one of the most interesting and beautiful rides in all AI.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Your car is so :krad:, I love the plaid interior.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

revmoo posted:

Sweet.

Hahhaaaa, wtf, do they close down that street on a whim? For THOSE horrible photos?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

McMadCow posted:

I would like to request more pics of your car, please :)

That plaid interior is just the business.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

AlternateAccount posted:

Hahhaaaa, wtf, do they close down that street on a whim? For THOSE horrible photos?

My guess is he works for some catering company that was there for a tv commercial or something and he grabbed a few idle minutes to snap the pics.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

GOATSE SOUP posted:

Do you have a dedicated thread or site somewhere for your car? I swear its one of the most interesting and beautiful rides in all AI.

Thanks! :) No dedicated thread... honestly I never really thought the car was distinctive enough compared to some of the kickass cars in AI. I love it for sure, but the exterior will never be anything more than average. The interior was in above average shape and so I've been able to help that along.

The engine itself is well past it and we're doing an M20 swap in the coming months. I think that will probably qualify for AI levels of interesting-ness so I'll do a dedicated thread at that point and be sure to take lots of pics of all the other things I've done.

In the meantime, I'll link some of the previous pics from this thread for The Third Man.

With the Eibach springs and Bilstein Sports freshly installed. When I got the air dam, I just riveted that sumbitch on.

You can see the old shift boot and cluster surround in those.

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 9, 2011

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McMadCow posted:

honestly I never really thought the car was distinctive enough compared to some of the kickass cars in AI.

Are you kidding me? Do you not even NOTCE your car when you get in it anymore? The who thing is AI as gently caress, especially the plaid. Awesome ride.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

revmoo posted:

Definitely pass on that car. It's obviously been modded by a very scatterbrained individual, just by looking at how random and non-cohesive all the little mods are. $2700 is not that great of a price either unless it comes with service records.

It's down to $2650 today. Something must be scary wrong, since I can't imagine even without all the turbo and bullshit it wouldn't sell if it was in decent shape in person.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=394370674

McMadCow posted:

I love this.

edit: but paint that parking brake!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

McMadCow posted:

The engine itself is well past it and we're doing an M20 swap in the coming months. I think that will probably qualify for AI levels of interesting-ness so I'll do a dedicated thread at that point and be sure to take lots of pics of all the other things I've done.

Really looking forward to this thread. Any particular reason you chose the M20? I imagine it'd be pretty equally easy/cheap to find a good M30 or M50 candidate.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Guinness posted:

Really looking forward to this thread. Any particular reason you chose the M20? I imagine it'd be pretty equally easy/cheap to find a good M30 or M50 candidate.

The M20 is pretty standard for an engine swap into the 2002. Probably even more popular than the S14 swap, just due to how cheap one can be had at a junkyard. The Getrag 260 can fit in with a little coaxing and the stock diff can take the power, so it's a pretty straightforward thing.
I've never heard of anyone doing an M30 or 50. I would think the M50 would start to get pretty tight under there, but I'm not certain. Either way, the car only weighs 2000 lbs, and the M20 swap only adds 35. With no cat and a freeflowing muffler, I'll have a hell of a lot of power for such a lightweight car. I'm currently piecing together the Volvo 240 brake upgrade and going to E30 bottlecaps so the new performance doesn't kill me.

AlternateAccount posted:

I love this.

edit: but paint that parking brake!

It's in the queue. I'm trying to figure out what to do about that molded-on handle. The lever itself wil get powdercoated and the boot will get the plaid treatment once I figure out a workable pattern for the fabric.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

McMadCow posted:

The M20 is pretty standard for an engine swap into the 2002.

Cool, sounds reasonable. I don't really know much about 2002s, so I was just curious, not saying the M20 is a bad choice. A good freshened up M20 is going to provide very ample power for that little car. What size M20 are you going with?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 9, 2011

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Guinness posted:

Cool, sounds reasonable. I don't really know much about 2002s, so I was just curious, not saying the M20 is a bad choice. A good freshened up M20 is going to provide very ample power for that little car. What size M20 are you going with?

Going to take it from a 325i. Soooo... a 2.5, then. Makes about 170 with emissions gear- none of which I need to keep on there. :) I'm hoping to get about 200 out of it by the end.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Should do a M20B27 with 325i heads and turbo it, that would be fun! (read loving insane)

rscott fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 9, 2011

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I originally joked about bolting a turbo to it but I've still never heard of anyone doing it. I kind of think it may be a clearance issue with the exhaust manifold. It would definitely be insane though. This car is so much fun even with how little power it has now, I can't imagine how crazy it'll be once I've got a proper lump up front.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What are the chances of the frame holding out on that much power? I think 200 bhp would be pushing a lot of parts to the limits, and much more seems like poo poo would start breaking. Besides, the M20 seems like it would be a perfect choice.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

^^^ I think a maxed out NA M20 is well within the performance envelope of the chassis. The 2002 turbo made 150+ hp on the same platform and handled it wonderfully. As I said, I'm currently refreshing all the suspension bits as my budget will allow. A company makes a bespoke motor and trans mount for this particular swap- I'm assuming it helps make sure nothing twists apart.

Motronic posted:

Are you kidding me? Do you not even NOTCE your car when you get in it anymore? The who thing is AI as gently caress, especially the plaid. Awesome ride.

Haha, yeah I definitely still do. It's a great car but it still needs a ton of work to get it where I want it to be. I guess I'm just surprised that it's such a hit.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
How awful of an idea is getting an e30 as a college car? I'm currently driving a 97 legacy outback but I've been lusting after e30s for a long time, and I have about 4 grand that I could spare on an e30, 5500 if I sold the outback. From what I've seen I can get a pretty decent e30 for that price but I'm mainly wondering how maintenance heavy they are.

Also a 1991 318is with an s50 swap recently popped up generally close to me for about 6 grand. It looks clean as poo poo so some emails might be sent and the outback might be going in craigslist within the week.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Trintintin posted:

How awful of an idea is getting an e30 as a college car? I'm currently driving a 97 legacy outback but I've been lusting after e30s for a long time, and I have about 4 grand that I could spare on an e30, 5500 if I sold the outback. From what I've seen I can get a pretty decent e30 for that price but I'm mainly wondering how maintenance heavy they are.

Also a 1991 318is with an s50 swap recently popped up generally close to me for about 6 grand. It looks clean as poo poo so some emails might be sent and the outback might be going in craigslist within the week.

They're great if you can do the work yourself and find decent used parts online / scrounge for parts. Though, most parts aren't that unreasonably expensive in comparison. However, they will break and require you to work on them and do maintenance.

As far as one with a swap done, bring money.

I am 22 and own a 1990 325is and a 1991 318i.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

McMadCow posted:

I originally joked about bolting a turbo to it but I've still never heard of anyone doing it. I kind of think it may be a clearance issue with the exhaust manifold. It would definitely be insane though. This car is so much fun even with how little power it has now, I can't imagine how crazy it'll be once I've got a proper lump up front.

It may not be common, but it has been done. All the more reason to do it yourself! I don't know what you plan to do for engine management, but there are a lot of resources for M20 Megasquirt which would lend itself to an eventual turbo build very well. 200 horsepower in a 2002 sounds fun as hell, but 350 sounds pretty loving AI.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-BMW-3-Series-330i-ZHP-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ304537123

Hopefully going to go look at this today or tomorrow if it isn't sold yet. Should I be worried about a ZHP with 183000km (114000 miles)? I was going to ask mainly about suspension and cooling system whicn should have been replaced by now.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Crustashio posted:

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-BMW-3-Series-330i-ZHP-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ304537123

Hopefully going to go look at this today or tomorrow if it isn't sold yet. Should I be worried about a ZHP with 183000km (114000 miles)? I was going to ask mainly about suspension and cooling system whicn should have been replaced by now.

Make sure you get receipts for it all.

For a ZHP, you should also see whether they've done the VANOS seals and the VANOS rattle fix. To test for VANOS rattle fix, put the car into to Neutral, 2k RPM. You should hear something like little clicks and rattles in the VANOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
Took my vehicle on a little 1400 mile road trip. I made it to my destination without any problems. It was by far the most enjoyable road trip I've ever taken. Now that I'm here (Colorado Springs) I'm preparing to get the cooling system refreshed. When doing this refresh should I replace the water pump with a stock unit or go with an upgraded unit like the Stewart High Performance Pump? Everything else I just plan on replacing with ORM equipment.
And heres what driving 1400 miles in the summer does to the front of your vehicle.