Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Had it tinted yesterday. Clay and two coats of sealant today.

Input:

Output:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
I need to get me some ONR. I have heard nothing but good things about it, and maybe some opti-coat as well.

That Mazda 2 looks cleeeeeeeean.

Defcon62
Oct 11, 2007
The Joesterizer
Today was oil change, K&N Filter cleaned and reoiled, new fancy silverstar ultra headlight bulbs, fixed a corroded turn signal bulb socket and cussed out the idiots at autostoned that sold me a passenger side caliper when i needed a driver side. Tomorrow will be caliper changing day again!

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Tentacle Party posted:

I need to get me some ONR. I have heard nothing but good things about it, and maybe some opti-coat as well.
It really is fantastic stuff. I've used it as a wash, spray detailer (I keep a bottle in each of my cars), and clay lubricant. Opticoat sounds like a great product but the instructions make it seem like a bitch to apply and there's all sorts of disclaimers about making sure you don't screw up because its permanent.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Swapped '99 2.5RS sedan headlights into my '97 Outback Sport. I'm thinking I'll need to adjust the headlights quite a bit to compensate for the increased ride height of the Outback Sport over the sedan.

Starting out:

Where we're going, we don't need eyes:

Done! So modern!

I lost one of the headlight mounting bolts on the driver side when I fumbled the socket with it inserted, but it's pretty solidly in there so I'd say a job well done (at least until the bolt rolls out from wherever it got stuck and I can install it again).

Next up: replacing the driver side fender! Looks like it could also use a new Subaru badge.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 10, 2011

MadMax
Apr 17, 2005
MadMax
I've never done more work on a car than changing a flat or refill fluids but over the last 3 Tuesdays I have jumped into the deep end (well at least not the shallow end) on the 97 Jetta I just got.

So far I have done

-new headlight bulbs
-new brake light and license plate light bulbs
-replaced the broken lock cylinder in the driver's side door
-reattached rear bumper where it got hit in a parking lot
-changed oil/installed new oil, air and fuel filters.
-new spark plugs
-replaced timing, serpentine and v-belts and timing belt tensioner
-flushed green crap/cleaned coolant system and refilled with G11

I'd always felt lame for never learning how to drive a manual and never working on my own car but this car has fixed both of those issues. I'm really enjoying working on the car and luckily my roommate already has a full set of tools, floor jack and jackstands so I haven't had to buy anything except parts/consumables.

Next tasks up are to clean/detail inside and out, new wiper blades and start looking for some winter tires/steel rims so I'll be ready for ski season. Maybe eventually a new exhaust system, the current one is pretty rusted from the center muffler back.

E: also, next week getting my roommate to help me bleed the brakes and see if/what/when I need to replace.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MadMax posted:

-new headlight bulbs
-new brake light and license plate light bulbs
-replaced the broken lock cylinder in the driver's side door
-reattached rear bumper where it got hit in a parking lot
-changed oil/installed new oil, air and fuel filters.
-new spark plugs

This is the shallow end.

MadMax posted:

-replaced timing, serpentine and v-belts and timing belt tensioner
-flushed green crap/cleaned coolant system and refilled with G11

Hell yes. Good on you. That's the deep end. (the timing belt)

As far as your brake bleed, make sure you completely fluch out the old fluid (from each wheel). If it hasn't been done (ever/in a while) it will make all the difference in the world and prevent you from replacing parts unnecessarily.

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
So I have a rear seal to replace on a 3vze I just rebuilt, oops should have done that when it was easy. Pulled the transmission to do that the hard way.

Last night Since the transmission is out I:

1. Cracked open the pan & found a loose bolt, thankfully it was easy to see were it goes & was 1/3 for a hold down bracket & not chewed up.
2. Put some spacers in 2 valves for firmer shifts Toyota transmission mod that seems to be on a lot of sites.
3. Replaced the filter, cleaned the pan & magnets
4. Put everything back together with an OEM manual & torqued with an inch-pound torque wrench. Used ultra-grey sealant for the pan gasket and followed the steps of waiting 1/2hr before torqueing.

5. Forgot to take photos during actual work. '93 T100

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Got my exhaust installed, only to find that they missed welding the exits on the center muffler, so it's getting sent out to a welding shop tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll be able to drive it home tomorrow night.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Ripped the sagging, shredded remains of the headliner out of the Jimmy. Then I cleaned the floor and seats because it dumped 20 year old foam dust all over the interior.

Next I have to remove the rest of the nasty carpet and buy some diamond plate to screw down in its place.

And maybe figure out why it boils away all the coolant in its overflow tank once a week... but appearances. :pseudo:

I think I'm going to install RGB LED rope in the cross bracing to replace the dome light.

corgski fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 11, 2011

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

DropShadow posted:

Got my exhaust installed, only to find that they missed welding the exits on the center muffler, so it's getting sent out to a welding shop tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll be able to drive it home tomorrow night.

Which exhaust is that?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

DogDodger posted:

Which exhaust is that?

Billy Boat 2.5" bolted to an 034 test pipe. That photo was taken during the test fit, hence the uneven tips and bubble wrap.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Realized the 240d is 500 miles from need of an oil change and due to drive 1000 tomorrow. With another 1000 rolling on after that before I would get the chance to do a change I opted to hurriedly do it tonight. One gallon lost, one fresh went in. Same old oil filter because I had none available. Not ideal but I can do another change when I get back and do it right. I'm excited to do the filter change too because I finally obtained a few of those hard to get o-rings for the filter adapter shaft that are supposed to be replaced regularly and never are. It affects oil pressure so I should see some benefit perhaps with new ones.

Anyway, see y'all in two weeks. I'm going canoing and camping in Canada. Oh and yes the ITR is tucked away elsewhere and guarded.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

trouser chili posted:

Anyway, see y'all in two weeks. I'm going canoing and camping in Canada. Oh and yes the ITR is tucked away elsewhere and guarded.

We found out where you live years ago and we're all teaming up to steal that car.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Wrote it off. Not gonna spend thousands to make a 20 year old shitbox drivable - even though I DO want a hatchback.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I took the ECU out and put it in the post. It's going to the other end of the country to get a nistune daughter board. I also ordered a manual boost controller and a new, in the box, Z32 AFM.

http://www.nistune.com/

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Hit a bird in midflight so I gave my car a hug for being so vicious.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Nicely done. I've hit three birds in flight, and all with the same car. The RS 4 has taken a strike on the windshield, one on the driver's mirror (which actually popped the glass loose), and this poor little guy. Guess the car likes poultry.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

DogDodger posted:

Nicely done. I've hit three birds in flight, and all with the same car. The RS 4 has taken a strike on the windshield, one on the driver's mirror (which actually popped the glass loose), and this poor little guy. Guess the car likes poultry.

drat. This one went off the front bumper and the first one I hit bounced off the windshield and over the car. I'll try for the mirror next time.

MadMax
Apr 17, 2005
MadMax

Motronic posted:

As far as your brake bleed, make sure you completely fluch out the old fluid (from each wheel). If it hasn't been done (ever/in a while) it will make all the difference in the world and prevent you from replacing parts unnecessarily.

Awesome, thanks for the pointer. Any particular parts I should replace as a matter of course or specific wear indications to check for? I have been reading as much as I can (mostly on VWVortex and whatever Google brings up) but I tend to trust AI much more than any other source.

Also, is there a general consensus on whether it is worth going to a rear disc conversion from the existing drums? My instinct is maybe if I get into autocross but for now with this as my DD the money can be spent better elsewhere.

MadMax fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 12, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DogDodger posted:

Hit a pheasant once at 60, broke my front grille on my Delta. Not nearly as painful as a mere robin at 25 into a helmet visor, though. drat $60 visors :argh:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Got my pipes on. I'm loving the sound. Not too overpowering but very mellow. I opted for the Billy Boat stealth kit because wagons are more prone to exhaust drone since there is no trunk to separate it from the passenger compartment. That and the fact that my wife would kill me if I came home with a super loud exhaust. I'm surprised that you can get such a deep note out of a 4-cylinder, especially when the stock exhaust makes almost no sound at all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MadMax posted:

Also, is there a general consensus on whether it is worth going to a rear disc conversion from the existing drums? My instinct is maybe if I get into autocross but for now with this as my DD the money can be spent better elsewhere.

I don't find braking to be a huge thing in autocross (certainly not of the importance as in racing). Sure, you need good brakes, but spending that money on good tires will be more effective than a disk conversion in the back. Most of your stopping power comes from the front anyway, so just make sure you have those well sorted.

Actually, spending the money on more seat time would probably be the best car mod to get faster.

MadMax posted:

Awesome, thanks for the pointer. Any particular parts I should replace as a matter of course or specific wear indications to check for? I have been reading as much as I can (mostly on VWVortex and whatever Google brings up) but I tend to trust AI much more than any other source.

Do you mean as far as brakes? Just make sure that the existing pads have worn evenly. If not, you may be looking at caliper slider pins (they need to be greased. If they are not they can bind up and get gouged) or calipers themselves. Chances are high if you have even pad wear on the inside and outside pads, and both the left and right pad sets are about the same thickness that you are OK. If there is a big difference between them, it's time to look for the cause.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 12, 2011

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
A surprise when I replaced my XT's front pads and rotors due to a vibration under braking, which I thought to be warped rotors:

The dusty wheel was the one from front left, which has a torn CV boot. Either way, it looks like I'm replacing/repacking the wheel bearings, rebuilding calipers (apparently involving cleaning the piston, replacing a seal & dust boot) and replacing the CV axle before the XT hits the road again. Some Subaru forum users say that all McParts rebuilds are garbage, new Chinese CV axles are garbage and that Subaru axles are too expensive. I was going to order an axle from NAPA but will get one from a specialty Subaru axle rebuilder in Colorado instead.

These Enkies look the part on a Subaru with blue paint.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

A surprise when I replaced my XT's front pads and rotors due to a vibration under braking, which I thought to be warped rotors:

Warped rotors are a myth :argh::argh: :argh:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

AzraelDM
Feb 26, 2011
About 3 weeks ago, some wonderful individual knocked the quarter window out of my 82 300CD.

After being laughed at by every wrecking yard within 100 miles, I eventually scored a window on eBay. A couple hours of blood and sweat later:

Apologies for the crappy phone pics.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Belldandy posted:

Warped rotors are a myth :argh::argh: :argh:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

There is no such thing as a warped vinyl record! Its runout is simply not within factory specification! :argh:

Should have used AMSOIL brake fluid to avoid brake trouble.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Bullshit, my Fiat X1/9 had a warped brake rotor (the lovely bottle jack I borrowed fell over while I was smashing off the stuck rotor with a sledgehammer in a dark parking lot)

E: VVV Well it was fine before I took it off, hosed when I put it back on, it wasn't damaged anywhere that the pad hit, and went back to normal after I replaced it, so I don't know what else it could be. I would have thought it would bend suspension or something before that, but they were lovely non-vented parts store rotors so I'm not terribly surprised.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 12, 2011

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Lowclock posted:

Bullshit, my Fiat X1/9 had a warped brake rotor (the lovely bottle jack I borrowed fell over while I was smashing off the stuck rotor with a sledgehammer in a dark parking lot)

I would imagine the cast iron breaking before warping under an impact like that :psyduck:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

New tunes in my 97 Dodge. The stock tape deck was a huge crapfest that didn't like my tape adapter so it was the radio or my old mix tapes and I got sick of my tapes. It also used to drop out on the left speaker every once in a while.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got new wheels and tires on the Bronco. 15x8 American Racing wagon wheels with 31x10.50x15 BF Goodrich A/T KO's. Definitely looks better than the stock wheels with sketchy clearcoat and no-name highway-tread tires.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Bought this:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21600_Eclipse-CD1200G.html#tabs

Although Eclipse is now a bottom of the barrel brand, i haven't found any legitimately bad reviews on it. Plus, $99 for a double din is the cheapest i could find anywhere.

...Plus i own a zune and no one makes zune pie adapters...

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Put the next motor in the Miata with Phone today. Finishing up tomorrow then firing it up and tuneing idle.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Hit a pheasant once at 60, broke my front grille on my Delta. Not nearly as painful as a mere robin at 25 into a helmet visor, though. drat $60 visors :argh:

I know this song and dance. How about a Pheasant at 100 mph?

e: Yes, its wing was flapping against my hood as I drove about 5 miles with a 10 lbs bird crammed into my grill and proceeded to a military base where the gate guard was kind enough to point out I had a giant bird stuck in my grill. Thanks, I hadn't noticed.

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 14, 2011

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Mr.Peabody posted:

I know this song and dance. How about a Pheasant at 100 mph?

e: Yes, its wing was flapping against my hood as I drove about 5 miles with a 10 lbs bird crammed into my grill and proceeded to a military base where the gate guard was kind enough to point out I had a giant bird stuck in my grill. Thanks, I hadn't noticed.

I hope you mounted that poo poo on your wall.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Rotated the tires yesterday. While the wheels were off I gave them a thorough wash and wax. No, I didn't get under the car with it jacked up like that.

Today, cleaned up the rest of the car. It was just dusty so it got an Optimum No Rinse sponge bath. Took it out for a couple pictures because hey, new camera and clean car.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Not a heck of a lot. I powerwashed the engine bays in the 9-3 and 9-5. They look pretty and sparkly again. Last night, discovered that the left high beam was not working on the 9-5 after re-aiming the headlamps.

Decided to check all of the fuses - all were good, and jumping positive to the lamp turned it on. So, waited until today.

Popped the 'orange relay', which isn't a relay at all, and put in an old-parts-car-find-spare. Works fine now.

The 'orange relay' isn't a relay at all. Looking at the guts, it just measures resistance from when it applies power, and falls through on different pins if it finds none. This little sucker is the bastard that gives you the headlight failure notice.

If you jump 56a-56aL-56aR, you'll have a closed circuit without any of the fancy crap, but it will help when chasing down electrical gremlins.

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
Welded some stainless steel exhaust couplings together, my first TIG welding ever. Have one flange to re-weld, 3 slip joints and back on the truck with 4 fewer u-bolts.

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
Finished welding. Then I installed this collector & went for a drive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Got the windows tinted in the TT RS, and will finish bleeding the RS 4 brakes when I get back from dinner. It took some doing to get the wheels off since the tire tech apparently used a locomotive to drive the lug bolts in. :(