Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010
Oh silly me I didn't click the 'Join this site' section. It should be there now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

krushgroove posted:

Just approved ya, sorry for the delay.

I'm waiting for my 'casting partner to get back from his holiday, but it looks like there's a good number of folks here doing video stuff as well as audio-only, which is the direction we're going to go, but more into sketch-style comedy rather than freeform podcasting or vidcasting. Does anyone have any site links or whatever they can PM my way (don't want to derail the podcasting talk).

Ideally we'll still do a podcast, but on a much less frequent basis once we start putting out videos.

Might this me a good time to start up a vidcasting thread? Aside from our group in Vegas, that's pretty much all we do with both recorded and live shows.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
hey podcast friends. I realize this is not the tech support forum but I thought you guys might have some advice.

So I am not a techie by any means so I've been using garageband to edit my podcast.

Somehow I clicked something :ohdear: and my two red like, tracking lines, are out of sync. This is how it looks:

http://i.imgur.com/DzssL.png

Usually the two red lines (what are they called anyways? I think me not knowing the correct term for them has impeded me finding a solution on google) follow each other nicely in sync which helps me cut/splice etc. Now, the bottom red line just runs way ahead and disappears offscreen. Can anyone please help me?

Greatly appreciated :)

THE LUMMOX fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 10, 2011

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The red line is the playhead, and the two views are out of sync. You can force them to catch up with each other by clicking the small button to the right of the top canvas's scroll bar (it's dark, but it looks like two triangles that are pointing at each other. Unfortunately, there's no keyboard shortcut for this in GB.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Wow you are amazing. Thanks so much :) Now back to slogging through the last 40 minutes of audio.

I love the research and recording parts of podcasting but I hate hate haaaaate the editing! :argh:

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

THE LUMMOX posted:

Wow you are amazing. Thanks so much :) Now back to slogging through the last 40 minutes of audio.

I love the research and recording parts of podcasting but I hate hate haaaaate the editing! :argh:

Yeah, thats the worst part. Sometimes I have to take Nuvigil on a day I know I'll be editing all day. Otherwise I'll literally pass out at my desk. There is something in my brain chemistry that just makes me sleepy when I am doing poo poo I hate. :p

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'm the opposite. I love editing, and it's the prep that feels like a slog for me. Recording and hosting are both fun, though.

I've had to force myself to get better at getting things right the first time, since I would find myself wanting to take out every breath and pause. Left to my own devices, I'd keep polishing turds and not ship a single episode. My enjoyment of editing really allowed it to become a crutch.

The turnaround time on any given episode has gotten consistent enough that I can hold myself to a fairly tight schedule.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ReverendHammer posted:

Might this me a good time to start up a vidcasting thread? Aside from our group in Vegas, that's pretty much all we do with both recorded and live shows.

Sounds good to me! although it'll be a few weeks before we've got something on our YouTube channel. Also, I'm not sure where to start, but the thread doesn't have to have a long or massively informed OP to get people posting in it. There must be other goons doing something along these lines.

Whitefokes
Jan 31, 2009
I keep meaning to post this but I'm down for sharing some love too. If anyone wants to shoot me a 30 second spot, I'll throw it on upcoming episodes.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Sounds good to me! although it'll be a few weeks before we've got something on our YouTube channel. Also, I'm not sure where to start, but the thread doesn't have to have a long or massively informed OP to get people posting in it. There must be other goons doing something along these lines.

I can start writing sections about some of the technical and operational aspects of vidcasting, especially when it comes to doing live stuff. Though hopefully someone else can join in when it comes to getting that sort of thing on iTunes and whatnot.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just start it up with a couple of *reserved* posts to make room for later additions, and save it all in a Google Docs file for easier editing. I can't remember exactly what it was like getting the podcast on iTunes but I imagine it must be the same as for a video show? We're going to concentrate on YouTube first and worry about iTunes later, but it's super easy uploading to YouTube. What I don't understand at the moment is setting up linked video playback but my 'production partner' (oooh sounds Hollywood!) knows all about that so I'm not worried about it.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Just start it up with a couple of *reserved* posts to make room for later additions, and save it all in a Google Docs file for easier editing. I can't remember exactly what it was like getting the podcast on iTunes but I imagine it must be the same as for a video show? We're going to concentrate on YouTube first and worry about iTunes later, but it's super easy uploading to YouTube. What I don't understand at the moment is setting up linked video playback but my 'production partner' (oooh sounds Hollywood!) knows all about that so I'm not worried about it.

Yeah, we currently put everything on Vimeo save for our promos. Though I wouldn't mind making it available on iTunes just to make it easier for people with iWhatevers to watch.

As for the thread I need to write up a good introduction post. I'll make sure to get that put together first before going any further with the other sections (I started on the live casting piece last night).

Speaking of vidcasting, we have a new episode up with both the Vegas AND Austin groups in the same room! And I don't mean Skype! http://spankwagon.net/2011/08/spankwagon-66-67/

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

You can find the vidcasting thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430719

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Hey I'd really appreciate some help understanding feedburner stats.

When I see something like:
"98 subscribers (on average)" does that mean that, on average, 98 different people scanned my RSS feed for an update that day?

What is reach?

My aggregate item use for today says:
0 clicks
101 downloads
Please humour me and explain a view, a click, and a download and where they come from:) If I have images in the same blog post (I use wordpress) as my podcast .mp3 file...are those images getting counted as "downloads"?

I requested to join gooncasts so whoever is admining it should see me in the queue.
Thanks a bunch guys. I feel like I've been half-assing the post-production/marketing of my podcast for ten episodes now and it's time to get serious.

To contribute, I found this cool tutorial for how to check your iTunes reviews/ratings in the stores of other countries.
http://thepodcastersstudio.com/check-your-podcasts-ratings-and-reviews-in-each-itunes-store-in-the-world/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool, posted on the videocasting thread.

'Reach' I think is the term Feedburner uses for how often a visitor to your site clicks on a link to do anything: download a show, open an image, go to another page, whatever. So more is better.

Set up Analytics on your site and you'll get a much better idea of where people are coming from, how they got there and how long they stay. It can be pretty surprising how much info it can gather.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Some friends and I just finished the second episode of our college campus based drunk dial show. We'd love to have some people tell us how we're doing, and even more people to call in (424-262-3328)

http://www.facebook.com/drunkenbulldog is where we operate out of.

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010
clip from our podcast (lovely audio quality brace yourself)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUPmgJfjujM

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
Hey guys, I don't know if this'll help you guys, but I'm currently reading a good book about effectively advertising on Social Media. It's called Thank You Economy. I'm about 30 percent through and it's really interesting.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

WedgeEC posted:

Hey guys, I don't know if this'll help you guys, but I'm currently reading a good book about effectively advertising on Social Media. It's called Thank You Economy. I'm about 30 percent through and it's really interesting.

What might help is sharing what you've learned from Thank You, Economy..

Would you recommend it? What's it about? It does have 63 positive reviews...

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Anyone have any tips on cutting down on lip/mouth sounds? I have to get pretty close to my snowball to get a decent level but it sounds like I ate a jar of mayo. I know that editing makes one hyper aware of things like this but man, I sound disgusting

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Try getting a little off-axis. If you're right on top of the Snowball and it's pointed directly into your word-cavity, address it slightly from the side. You don't want it to be rotated more than 45 degrees, otherwise you'll be talking right past the pickup pattern.

Also, drinking a beverage helps keep your mouth wet. A dry mouth will have lots of mucky saliva that will make you sound like a Lovecraftian horror. Coffee will make this worse, but water or beer work best for me (keeping in mind that beer will make you belchy). Anything with ice in it will be too noisy, unless you're using a plastic cup.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I know I have a lot of mouth pops and clicks. I end up editing them out. Remember that you have to hear your voice more than anyone else. So you are super critical of whatever is wrong with it. Most people only listen to your podcast once (unless its super awesome). So they aren't going to go back and be like "gently caress, listen to that loud breathing and mouth clicks. What an rear end in a top hat!" That being said I still edit the poo poo out of my audio. I remove most of the deep inhalations and pre-speaking-lips-parting-smacks and whatever else I'm obsessing about.

I do find that doing some vocal warm ups before helps me eliminate some minor pronunciation gafs and stumbles.

I haven't found one beverage that helps really un-phlegm the mouth very much. If you watch VO warm up stuff online they'll tell you not to eat dairy, spicy food, alcohol and other junk up to an hour before you record. I don't know how crazy you have to get for a podcast, though...

Goddimus
Nov 27, 2000

King Lou posted:

What might help is sharing what you've learned from Thank You, Economy..

Would you recommend it? What's it about? It does have 63 positive reviews...

I have read this book and I will say that the book is about adopting a mentality of engaging your audience. Show that you are actually interested in what they have to say, respond to them, and provide value other than just plugging your show (which I will be doing right after this).

You can do things like search for people talking about things that your show covers, engage them in conversation, provide quality and genuine content, and then leave it at that. Keep talking with them and build relationships and they will look at your profile, where you should have your show linked, and then check out what you do there.

There is a lot more to it but I think the most important part is to be genuine and build real relationships with people. They will become your advocates.

Goddimus
Nov 27, 2000

I posted pretty early in this thread about my podcast at the time (Movie Rental Roundup). We shuttered the show shortly after for quite a few reason, mostly around scheduling and logistics for the 4 hosts of the show. Since then, my brother and I got the bug again to record and we started a new show 8 weeks ago.

Nerd Caravan is essentially a show of two nerds talking about nerdy stuff. We aren't journalists but we are enthusiastic about the stuff we cover. I feel like we have really gotten into our groove now, working through technical issue, improving our sound, and getting comfortable behind the mic again. We record on Sundays and release on Mondays so that the weekly news we cover can be pretty current. Our show tends to run just over an hour.

Our website has links to download our show and the show notes for the topics we cover. The web address is http://www.nerdcaravan.com and we would love any new listeners that might be interested.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Goddimus posted:

I posted pretty early in this thread about my podcast at the time (Movie Rental Roundup). We shuttered the show shortly after for quite a few reason, mostly around scheduling and logistics for the 4 hosts of the show. Since then, my brother and I got the bug again to record and we started a new show 8 weeks ago.

Nerd Caravan is essentially a show of two nerds talking about nerdy stuff. We aren't journalists but we are enthusiastic about the stuff we cover. I feel like we have really gotten into our groove now, working through technical issue, improving our sound, and getting comfortable behind the mic again. We record on Sundays and release on Mondays so that the weekly news we cover can be pretty current. Our show tends to run just over an hour.

Our website has links to download our show and the show notes for the topics we cover. The web address is http://www.nerdcaravan.com and we would love any new listeners that might be interested.

I enjoy this show. It's entertaining and holds to the topic well.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

Goddimus posted:

I have read this book and I will say that the book is about adopting a mentality of engaging your audience. Show that you are actually interested in what they have to say, respond to them, and provide value other than just plugging your show (which I will be doing right after this).

You can do things like search for people talking about things that your show covers, engage them in conversation, provide quality and genuine content, and then leave it at that. Keep talking with them and build relationships and they will look at your profile, where you should have your show linked, and then check out what you do there.

There is a lot more to it but I think the most important part is to be genuine and build real relationships with people. They will become your advocates.

The book at it's essential is that. The net has changed the world and the customer now really does have the power with their point of views and experience just by sharing online. So, what you need are advocates, they'll spread your word better than you can because they are the audience.

Goddimus
Nov 27, 2000

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I enjoy this show. It's entertaining and holds to the topic well.

Thank you for the kind words.

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010
Any podcasters on google+?

I've set up a podcast list on gcp.fm

http://gpc.fm/l/podcasters

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Song For the Deaf, the latest Those drat Ross Kids is excellent.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

mcsnitches posted:

Any podcasters on google+?

I've set up a podcast list on gcp.fm

http://gpc.fm/l/podcasters

I'm not entirely sure what I'm seeing there.

Whitefokes
Jan 31, 2009
Lounge Act's latest episode is now up. I could use some advice/criticism on how to make the show more entertaining. I'm pretty proud of it and think my partner does a great job of producing it but I'm getting bored. If I'm getting bored, I can only imagine my small audience is as well.

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010

King Lou posted:

I'm not entirely sure what I'm seeing there.

Its a directory of podcasters who have Google+ profiles

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Whitefokes posted:

Lounge Act's latest episode is now up. I could use some advice/criticism on how to make the show more entertaining. I'm pretty proud of it and think my partner does a great job of producing it but I'm getting bored. If I'm getting bored, I can only imagine my small audience is as well.

I'm going to PAX this weekend and will likely have some podcast time. I'll try to give it a listen.

Goddimus
Nov 27, 2000

We had a profile up on google + for Nerd Caravan but they killed our ability to use it since it's not a real name profile.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I've listened to a few in here. Pretty sweet. I don't think I've posted in here in a long time but we just finished our 12th episode!

http://aunonline.com/?p=3406

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The Capm posted:

Song For the Deaf, the latest Those drat Ross Kids is excellent.

Thanks, Capm. I'm really proud of it. Your latest Macy Gray stuff killed me.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks. I'm seriously running out of sub human traits to ascribe to Macy Gray. The podcast will climax with me reading aloud a cease and desist letter.

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010
Just uploaded our fourth episode, we're really proud of it. We think we've finally hit a 'mediocre' level.

Episode 4 link

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

mcsnitches posted:

Just uploaded our fourth episode, we're really proud of it. We think we've finally hit a 'mediocre' level.

Episode 4 link

Gotta say, I really dig your intro music! You guys are pretty funny, and my favorite moment was about deleting messages on your phone. I just wish I could hear you guys better. I'm not sure if it's your mics or the room you're in, but I really have to pay attention to understand everything you're saying.

Also, if anyone in this thread is kind enough to lend an ear, my friend and I could use some constructive criticism on our (relatively) new podcast. We know people are downloading our podcast, but we aren't getting any feedback at all. My partner is beginning to get discouraged. Help a fellow goon out? Our most recent podcast episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I finally did a video promoting the latest episode of my show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4fGqqenQa0