Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
well they do want clean footwear at that place, otherwise i'd just use my old chucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Paul Pot posted:

well they do want clean footwear at that place, otherwise i'd just use my old chucks

my gym wants clean shoes but i think they say that so that people don't drag in melted snow during the winter.

they make us run outside occasionally and don't have a problem with those shoes coming back in the gym.

e: your chucks could be perfectly fine but ask the guy at the gym heh

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I wish there was a WMA club around here. I sort of want to try swinging a sword around :(

Ligur posted:

What the gently caress dude, you are not running up those :haw:
TBH we don't do it often because it is exactly as ridiculous as it looks. It's mostly when our coach is pissed and can't be arsed to think of a new training circuit.

Back when KuPS used to win games running up The Stairs was a routine workout for them.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

It's not terribly accurate, but:

http://www.communitywalk.com/THE-HEMA-ALLIANCE-Training-Partner-Finder
http://www.communitywalk.com/europe...nder/map/478393

EDIT: Just saw these, my fingers crave them.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/gauntletsforum.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/151/gauntletsforum2.jpg/

Rhaka fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 8, 2011

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
I believe Illegal Username lives in Finland. Somewhere close to Kuopio, judging by the ski jumping hill pictures he posted a bit earlier. Your maps unfortunately do not list a single WMA club in the nordic countries. As far as I know, the closest one would be the School of European Swordsmansip in Joensuu or Jyväskylä, which is a bit of a drive.

Oh and WMA people, how do you think the feel of a nylon waster compares to a steel sword or a wooden waster, particularly on defense? Before moving to steel, I had only tried wooden ones, which at least feel like they don't respond very well to deflections.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Illegal Username posted:

I wish there was a WMA club around here. I sort of want to try swinging a sword around :(

http://savonmiekka.net/

One practice group of The School of European Swordsmanship in Kuopio. Link is in Finnish only, so I cannot ask WMA practitioner's opinion.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Oh cool, I did not know there was a branch in Kuopio. It's not listed on the school's main website.

I can't of course comment on the quality or practices of training in that particular branch, especially as the branches usually suffer from a lack of experienced instructors, but Mr. Windsor's interpretations of the original manuscripts are generally very solid, as is his instruction, although I would personally like for light sparring to be introduced into the training earlier and more often.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Pyle posted:

http://savonmiekka.net/

One practice group of The School of European Swordsmanship in Kuopio. Link is in Finnish only, so I cannot ask WMA practitioner's opinion.
what

what

I guess there's no need to advertise their existence too much but damnit, i had no idea. Thank you for this

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 8, 2011

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Join us in the wonderful world of stabbing bitches in the face.

Sniper Party posted:

Oh and WMA people, how do you think the feel of a nylon waster compares to a steel sword or a wooden waster, particularly on defense? Before moving to steel, I had only tried wooden ones, which at least feel like they don't respond very well to deflections.

Compared to wood, nylons are a godsend. The balance, weight and handling characteristics are all significantly closer to that of steel. Depending on the exact waster, defense and binding can be a bit crappy, if the blade is very bendy. Had a few blows go through my, admittedly lovely, guard, because the blade actually bent around it. Get some of the heavier Knight Shop wasters and this problem disappears, though.

Still, nothing beats a well-balanced steel blade, like the Hanwei Tinker line or Albions. We usually use steels for technique drilling whenever possible, and Nylons whenever safety becomes an issue, mostly with sparring or lack of protective gear.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
If anyone's interested, here a documentary on Fedor:
http://watchdocumentary.tv/fedor-emelianenko-the-baddest-man-on-the-planet-documentary/

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

kimbo305 posted:

I think gym clothes simply mean clothes that you can wear doing housework or at the gym, but are too ugly/unfashionable to wear elsewhere. But what'd be wrong with training in shorts or sweatpants over relatively confining jeans?

And branded shirts?

Oh. Then yeah we train in those.

The shirts just have a little logo in the corner, and it's nice to have a long-sleeved shirt because having a splintery stick dragged across your arm hurts.

I feel like I'm spending more time defending my school than talking about WMA :(

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Anybody familiar with schools around the Triangle area in North Carolina? I just moved up about a week and half ago, and I want to get settled and find some steady income before I fully commit to training. Still, I'd like to get a shortlist of places to visit.

I have a pretty well-rounded background, but I've got some serious rust and my old school focused very little on competition. If I don't give combat sports a chance before I'm too old and too distracted, I know I'll regret it for the rest of my life. At the moment I'm leaning toward Sommai Gym -- I've always been interested in Muay Thai. Goldsmith is closer, but I also heard it was "aimed at college students," which could mean a lot of things.

It would be great if anybody knowledgeable about the region had input on schools I might be missing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Paul Pot posted:

I was gonna recommend you find a cheesy martial arts store and buy a pair of FeiYues for dirt cheap, but apparently they're some hipster fashion thing in Europe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kungfu-Wushu-Sh...=item8010ddb269

The rubber on the bottom is thick, maxing out under the ball of the foot, but it wears out quickly.

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

Crisco Kid posted:

Anybody familiar with schools around the Triangle area in North Carolina? I just moved up about a week and half ago, and I want to get settled and find some steady income before I fully commit to training. Still, I'd like to get a shortlist of places to visit.

Is there a specific art you're looking for? I train muay thai/BJJ at Forged Fitness and it should definitely be on your list of places to check out, especially if you're interested in competing in BJJ or MMA.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Nierbo posted:

If anyone's interested, here a documentary on Fedor:
http://watchdocumentary.tv/fedor-emelianenko-the-baddest-man-on-the-planet-documentary/

After seeing him dive head first into Werdum's triangle and get his face caved in by Silva, that title just doesn't really seem apt anymore :smith:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Smegmatron posted:

After seeing him dive head first into Werdum's triangle and get his face caved in by Silva, that title just doesn't really seem apt anymore :smith:

Yeah, its a shame. I hope he doesn't go on to ruin his good name like cro cop has.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Cro cop ruined his name?

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Fleshpeg posted:

Is there a specific art you're looking for? I train muay thai/BJJ at Forged Fitness and it should definitely be on your list of places to check out, especially if you're interested in competing in BJJ or MMA.

Thank you, this one flew completely under my radar, but I'll be sure to check it out. I'm not dead-set on any one art, just looking for a comprehensive place with students already in competition. Muay Thai/BJJ is a good combination; looks good.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Question for the Judoka... the club I work out with had to take the summer off, and this has coincided with us losing pretty much everybody due to either retirement or guys graduating and leaving town. So myself and the head instructor are trying to brainstorm the best way to get the club going again this fall. We're putting together flyers to place in the dorms and wondering what best to put on them. Our target audience is basically former high school wrestlers and also people that are just looking to try something new now that they are in college.

So the question is, thinking back to when you started Judo, what kinds of things on a flyer would have caught your attention? A focus on the art of Judo, learning dicispline, getting in shape, etc...? A focus on the opportunities to compete at the local level all the way up to the Olympics? Something else entirely? What is the best way to catch people's attention?

We know there are a lot of wrestlers we could get with the competition angle, but we don't want to scare away everyone else.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

Question for the Judoka... the club I work out with had to take the summer off, and this has coincided with us losing pretty much everybody due to either retirement or guys graduating and leaving town. So myself and the head instructor are trying to brainstorm the best way to get the club going again this fall. We're putting together flyers to place in the dorms and wondering what best to put on them. Our target audience is basically former high school wrestlers and also people that are just looking to try something new now that they are in college.

So the question is, thinking back to when you started Judo, what kinds of things on a flyer would have caught your attention? A focus on the art of Judo, learning dicispline, getting in shape, etc...? A focus on the opportunities to compete at the local level all the way up to the Olympics? Something else entirely? What is the best way to catch people's attention?

We know there are a lot of wrestlers we could get with the competition angle, but we don't want to scare away everyone else.

I got in because grappling looked like what I had been looking for for so long and it was the most easily accessible/cheap/coolest way to get into grappling around here.

You could make 2-3 different flyers if that's not too much work. At my University, most people who get in want to : try a martial art and find a fun way to get in shape. A flyer revolving around those two thing (and may be add "fun way to meet people") would be good to get people completely new to martial arts in. Also, girls like the "self defense" aspect of learning a martial art. So that could be a good thing to put in if you want to get womens to join the club.

People who are already in good shape and often already have martial arts experience come in because : Grappling is awesome because of the UFC so they want to learn to grapple / Olympic judo is loving cool / throws are loving cool / sparring is awesome / gently caress YEAH COMPETITION!!!. So another flyer focusing more on the "real/useful martial art" and olympic sport aspect of judo would be good.

There's always the people who dig the traditional/art/discipline part too, so that's also good I guess, but I often find those people annoying so I wouldn't make a flyer for them :colbert:.

If it was me, I'd try making 2-3 different flyers that would appeal to different kind of people. Also "Come and try it for one free class so see if you like it!" would be a good idea to put boldly on the flyer.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
For me it was the price and the compeditive nature also that I could try it for free for an extended period of time. Club gis were gross but an important factor because I didnt want to invest money before I knew I liked it.

I've been to a number of clubs (BJJ and judo)now and I stuck with my first one because of the people, the price and the excersise being the most intence.

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 9, 2011

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
Does anyone have any tips for kneepads to buy for judo/bjj? I've been using old volleyball ones but these have proven tobe too restrictive, not enough protection and tend to bunch up behind my knee. Are specificly wrestling kneepads better for this?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I have zero experience running a club, but here is one thing you may want to consider. It's more of a general business principal for things that have high commitments.

Don't advertise to get as many people as possible, advertise to get the right people. Try to target people that are likely to sign up and likely to continue. You're better off getting 5 guys who will continue for years and love it than 15 people that are barely there and quit in a month.

Obviously, you need those more casual people too to grow the gym, but you need that hardcore base group to establish yourself, before you try to branch into the more casual and less reliable groups.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

I have zero experience running a club, but here is one thing you may want to consider. It's more of a general business principal for things that have high commitments.

Don't advertise to get as many people as possible, advertise to get the right people. Try to target people that are likely to sign up and likely to continue. You're better off getting 5 guys who will continue for years and love it than 15 people that are barely there and quit in a month.

Obviously, you need those more casual people too to grow the gym, but you need that hardcore base group to establish yourself, before you try to branch into the more casual and less reliable groups.

We're a university club. We have no expenses and even the most commited student will only be around for a few years. So really our #1 short term goal is just to get 10 people to sign up so we don't lose our mat time.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

For our club at Pitt, I know the best thing was just word of mouth. People got their friends to try it out, and they all like it very much. This also may not be your ideal group either, but a group of Japanese majors at Pitt started and fell in love with it, so you might want to advertise to them, as well as the other Asian language majors. Also, what school are you at?

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Thoguh posted:

We're a university club. We have no expenses and even the most commited student will only be around for a few years. So really our #1 short term goal is just to get 10 people to sign up so we don't lose our mat time.

The local university club here allows non-students.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

When I was in the University (Japanese) Jiu-Jitsu Club, Simple flyers that outlined physical fitness, self-defense, and confidence as things that someone would gain from taking Jiu-Jitsu (or judo in this case). Also make sure that you mention that it's open to all shapes, sizes, and sexes.

Hopefully you guys have a "clubs night" or something similar where prospective frosh can see all the clubs that are available to them. Ask if you can put on a demo, that usually gets interest too.

As for numbers, it sounds like beggars can't be choosers at this point for you guys, just remember that martial arts are a really good test of character, and the bad people get weeded out pretty quickly. Failing that, brutal warmups do the trick :v:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Haven't read the thread, but does anyone have a good right up of "street fighting" versus MMA?

I understand that a man who spends his time devoted to getting himself in shape and honing his skills at a realistic martial art is much more formidable than someone who has just been in a lot of fights, but I always hear the "well, in a REAL fight I'd gouge his eyes out" arguments.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Armyman25 posted:

Haven't read the thread, but does anyone have a good right up of "street fighting" versus MMA?

I understand that a man who spends his time devoted to getting himself in shape and honing his skills at a realistic martial art is much more formidable than someone who has just been in a lot of fights, but I always hear the "well, in a REAL fight I'd gouge his eyes out" arguments.

Speaking as someone who trains krav:

You block a throat strike the same way you block a punch. You deal with an eye gouge the same way you deal with arterial pressure in BJJ. If anything, an eye gouge is dumb as poo poo because it raises the intensity from the fight to "I WILL loving CRIPPLE YOU." And it's really, really easy to see a kick to the jewels coming.

I'll take the MMA guy.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Thoguh posted:

Make a simple poster outlining what judo is -- some people may not have a clue and think it's some kind of karate. Make another one emphasizing how much fun it is to hug people on the ground. Maybe do a general poster and get someone to do a Japanese translation -- there may be exchange students who've done judo and would like to keep doing it.

Ask in SA-mart for some snazzy poster designs?

foobat
Nov 26, 2008

Drewjitsu posted:

As for numbers, it sounds like beggars can't be choosers at this point for you guys, just remember that martial arts are a really good test of character, and the bad people get weeded out pretty quickly. Failing that, brutal warmups do the trick :v:

Don't do a brutal warmup, you're trying to keep people. Normally at our uni club you get poo poo load of people at the start and people there is a large drop off after christmas and other holidays.

My uni club entirely revolves around the social aspect(i.e drinking). If people make friends in the club, they'll come back. If you even give them the tiniest excuse they will flake out. "It's too far away", "It's too difficult", "I could just go drinking tonight", "It's raining". They will flake out.

Some people may not like being pushed to start with but in their second year, they're probably more likely to want to work hard and be up for a challenge. So a gentle ramping up of difficulty is probably best.

Our uni also has a massive fayre at the beginning of the academic year where we try to get people to join, it's where all our intake basically comes from.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Cro cop ruined his name?

He hasn't been impressive since like 08 but he keeps coming for more, slowly ruining his legacy.

e: Have any judoka done that exercise where you try to forward throw an uke but theres someone behind them, holding onto their back so you're throwing two people at once? And then after five of those, two people hold the uke so you're trying to throw three people. Its brutal but absolute poo poo loads of fun when you all fall over like bowling pins.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 10, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Unfortunately all the writeups on that kind of topic are usually trying to sell something. Doing MMA will teach you a whole bunch of stuff that you'll use in a self defence situation, you just have to not be stupid about it. Ground stuff should only be used to restrain someone, and you shouldn't risk the ground if there's more than one guy, or there's even a chance that there might be more than one guy, or there's the slightest chance he could have a weapon. Running is still always option A. Ball kicks and eye gouges might surprise somebody, but if they're already full of adrenaline it's just going to piss them off. They won't feel it until after the fight.

There was also a japanese guy who got eyegouged in a tournament, beat his opponent, went on to beat the hell out of a bunch of other people the same night, then at the end of that night found out he was blind forever in that eye. We were discussing him a few pages back, I think.

Here's a sorta-related Bas thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0QeNFpq1Tw&feature=youtu.be&t=8m15s

edit: I'll design you posters for free when work gets quiet (which is most days), send an email to destroy.all.humans@gmail.com.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

Speaking as someone who trains krav:

You block a throat strike the same way you block a punch. You deal with an eye gouge the same way you deal with arterial pressure in BJJ. If anything, an eye gouge is dumb as poo poo because it raises the intensity from the fight to "I WILL loving CRIPPLE YOU." And it's really, really easy to see a kick to the jewels coming.

I'll take the MMA guy.

What about a knife smart guy? What then.

mewse
May 2, 2006

look in krav you learn how to disarm some dude that's trying to carjack you. you can't learn that in something like BJJ where you roll around in pajamas like homosexuals

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

henkman posted:

What about a knife smart guy? What then.

I use the squid defense where I desperately try to poo poo in his eyes then run away.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

mewse posted:

look in krav you learn how to disarm some dude that's trying to carjack you. you can't learn that in something like BJJ where you roll around in pajamas like homosexuals
Please use this as the description for Krav Maga in any future OPs.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
So I decided to check out a nearby Judo gym today, it was a lot of fun. A nice change of pace from the usual BJJ.

Considering the price (It's sooo cheap, 20 dollars a month.) I think I will attend there regularly. They might not be great and seem to have a lack of younger folks, but it's a chance to work on grip fighting, attacking the turtle and fighting/learning the pins Judo guys like to use, and of course practicing throws.

Assuming I'm still in the same area for work, I think my training schedule will end up something like:
Monday - BJJ
Tuesday - Judo
Wednesday - BJJ
Thursday - Judo
Saturday - Muay Thai and BJJ
Sunday - Judo

Although it kind of sucks with my new BJJ coach we really are not getting as much time rolling as I would like. Seems to be 10 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday and an hour on Saturday. Personally I think 10 minutes, at the end of every class would be good.

Still, having more time to spend on drilling things is an improvement over winged lesson plans and "ohhh lets just roll for 1.5 hours..." and other craziness from my old instructor.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yo judo guy, set up some mats on campus when theres a lot going on and do a demonstration. Also do things like ask the biggest football player to try and get your blackbelt to the ground and then when he cant show the ppl why not and show em how easy you can take him to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

niethan posted:

Yo judo guy, set up some mats on campus when theres a lot going on and do a demonstration. Also do things like ask the biggest football player to try and get your blackbelt to the ground and then when he cant show the ppl why not and show em how easy you can take him to the ground.

If that football player has dabbled with crosstraining his tackle with the least amount of wrestling, it might backfire. I would probably not do it anyway, with how sensitive lots of schools are to the risks involved.

• Locked thread