Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Operating Rod posted:

I'm always curious about how audiences must have handled Exorcist at release.

My mother went to see it with her mom in Queens (NYC) and told me that streams of people left during the exorcism scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The nightvision scene in Cloverfield was one of the only good scenes in that piece of poo poo movie.

Can't say that I remember it. I haven't seen it since it was in theaters. I didn't mind Cloverfield, but I was one of the only ones in my group of friends that didn't get motion sickness while watching it on the big screen.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't have whatever upgrade is required to search this thread but have you guys seen The Loved Ones? It's a pretty good, if not great, Australian horror with one of the best female villains since Kathy Bates in Misery. Don't sleep.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316536/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb5BFm4qIow

I saw this a few months ago and liked it. It had its faults, but I loved the cinematography. The vibrant use of colour set it apart from other horror films for me.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't have whatever upgrade is required to search this thread but have you guys seen The Loved Ones? It's a pretty good, if not great, Australian horror with one of the best female villains since Kathy Bates in Misery. Don't sleep.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316536/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb5BFm4qIow

I quite liked it: good original plot, good bit of gore, a pretty solid movie all round and some very memorable scenes. That goddamn Kasey Chambers song can eat a dick though, it used to just annoy me, now it scares me.

Can't find it in this thread for searching but I watched Dead hooker in a trunk over the weekend and loved it. It's Canadian indie horror on a shoestring budget which is full of laughs, gore and fun. Over the top characters and violence and a very well done first movie.

The sisters who wrote, directed and starred in it are currently working on a new movie with Katharine "Ginger Snaps" Isabelle.

Dead hooker imdb
Dead hooker trailer
American Mary imdb
American Mary teaser trailer

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

The Cameo posted:

You don't find the idea that everything that your rational mind and experience has told you is outlandish and crazy and stupid and nothing more than folklore and hearsay from uneducated people turning out to be 100% true isn't absolutely terrifying?

I saw The Blair Witch Project the night it came out, thinking it was real.

I was so terrified I started sobbing on the way home. :/

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

jazz babies posted:

I saw The Blair Witch Project the night it came out, thinking it was real.

I was so terrified I started sobbing on the way home. :/

I'm jealous. I convinced a roommate that Paranormal Activity was real footage (we watched the version with the ending where she gets shot) before we watched it and he was absolutely terrified for the rest of the night. It was fantastic.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So what Found footage movie would you guys recommend watching?

I already saw the best one I guess :(
- Rec
- Blair Witch Project
- Grave Encounters (jk!)
- Trollhunter

I guess I should start by watching REC2 (Been really liking the Spanish movies lately) but what else would be worth it? Also is Paranormal Activity really considered as found footage movie? I've still yet to see that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Le0 posted:

- Rec
- Blair Witch Project
- Grave Encounters (jk!)
- Trollhunter

I guess I should start by watching REC2 (Been really liking the Spanish movies lately) but what else would be worth it? Also is Paranormal Activity really considered as found footage movie? I've still yet to see that.
Paranormal Activity and its sequel are found-footage in roughly the same sense as Blair Witch, where hours of footage has been edited together by an unseen third party. However, neither of them are very well-made, despite interesting moments. I don't think they withstand scrutiny, most importantly for the fact that they 'cheat' using poor writing, editing and shot choices to cover up logical gaps in the story. (Who extinguished the Ouija board? Why are they filming private conversations?)

Funnily enough, REC isn't a found-footage film. It doesn't fully simulate a false document, just using the aesthetic trappings to enhance the story. This becomes more overt in REC 2, which is just flat-out ridiculous(-ly good).

Quarantine remakes REC as an actual found-footage film, and despite people's protests I consider it the best film in the genre besides Blair Witch, with Cloverfield taking third place. It's actually an entirely different film - like I said, an entirely different genre.

The Tunnel is also very solid, meshing the found-footage approach with the pseudo-documentary 'talking head' approach. it's not terribly original, basically an amalgam of everything good in these other films, but it works very well and is the first argument for Found-Footage being a full-fledged genre with recognizable archetypes beyond simply holding the camera. It's the found-footage equivalent of a well-made archetypal slasher.

The Last Exorcist is, meanwhile, the first to deconstruct the genre. Even if they are inherently postmodern, self-referential films, Last Exorcist takes a closer look at how they work.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 10, 2011

Turada
Jun 17, 2006

On a mission from God
Insidious has got so much hate in this thread, but it really did its job as a horror movie for me, it was terrifying :(. I mean, I scare really easily, but I'll watch just about any horror movie because I like being scared :v:. I don't understand what was so bad about the astral projection plot thread. I thought it was fairly obvious, and so was the fact that his dad could project but even still, during the PA-esque scenes at night I was no less afraid than I was when I first watched Blair Witch, which stands as my most frightening cinema experience. When I left the cinema and thought about it, yes, there were some bad plot holes, and it's not a good movie, but I thought it was scary, and that's what I look for in horror.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Turada posted:

Insidious has got so much hate in this thread, but it really did its job as a horror movie for me, it was terrifying :(. I mean, I scare really easily, but I'll watch just about any horror movie because I like being scared :v:. I don't understand what was so bad about the astral projection plot thread. I thought it was fairly obvious, and so was the fact that his dad could project but even still, during the PA-esque scenes at night I was no less afraid than I was when I first watched Blair Witch, which stands as my most frightening cinema experience. When I left the cinema and thought about it, yes, there were some bad plot holes, and it's not a good movie, but I thought it was scary, and that's what I look for in horror.

I am not sure if there is that much hate though. I thought it was a great movie, up until the last 30 minutes or so.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Le0 posted:

- Rec
- Blair Witch Project
- Grave Encounters (jk!)
- Trollhunter

I liked Lake Mungo , its about a teenage girl who died, and now things are happening. I really can't say much more as it would ruin the story. I thought it was really well done, you could probably convice someone its real. I'm pretty fearless when it comes to horror movies, but this one creeped me out when I turned off the lights.
Its not really a "found footage" movie, its more like a fake documentary, still good viewing.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I watched Stakeland last night. I had actually sorta seen it a while back but I was so distracted by a conversation I missed most of it. I loved it- it was like The Road with vampires, as had been mentioned, but really drat sad and with some nasty lookin' creatures. And Mister is a badass.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can anyone recommend some good 'environmental horror' for me, where the setting is also the antagonist? Something like Frozen, but good. Open Water would be another example (I kinda liked Open Water).

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Can anyone recommend some good 'environmental horror' for me, where the setting is also the antagonist? Something like Frozen, but good. Open Water would be another example (I kinda liked Open Water).

The Last Winter
Right At Your Door

May not fit your defintion precisely but they're decent horror movies that rely on the setting/environment as an antagonist.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
First review for Final Destination 5
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/reviewsnews.php?id=20442

Dread Central reviews Final Destination 5
http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/final-destination-5-2011

Dread Central posted:

However, Final Destination 5 has done something remarkable with the fifth installment of the highly popular series as writer Eric Heisserer and director Steven Quale decided to raise the bar for other horror sequels out there. Not only do they deliver the destruction and death we all long for in the Final Destination films, but they also manage to create an incredibly unique script that fabricates some new twists into the franchise's mythology and gives audiences a reason to care about the characters again.

In fact, Final Destination 5 is one of those rare sequels that is either on par with or almost exceeds the original film of the series. With an incredibly talented cast bringing this fifth movie to life and a jaw-dropping ending you won't even see coming, Final Destination 5 may now officially be my favorite film of the entire franchise."

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 10, 2011

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

justlikedunkirk posted:

The Last Winter
Right At Your Door

May not fit your defintion precisely but they're decent horror movies that rely on the setting/environment as an antagonist.

Oh, RAYD has been on my list for a while. That's the one about the contagion right?

Any others would be great.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Bloody Disgusting have a Final Destination 5 review up also.
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/review/4519

Bloody Disgusting posted:

When a franchise enters its (rare) fifth incarnation, most studios will pound the calculator, check the numbers, and half-rear end out sequel after sequel until the opening weekend box office numbers fail to meet their expectations. The sole plan is to "milk" the fan out of as much money as they possibly can, which is what The Final Destination felt like back in '09. Simply put, it was garbage. It became a self-referencing, meta-machine bloated with cheesy kills as a device to move the movie from scene to scene.

I don't know how or where the change occurred, but all of a sudden the people behind the Final Destination films realized that the fans deserve WAY better, and decided to take the fifth film deadpan serious. Using the words "fourth sequel" and "serious" in the same breath may seem laughable from where you're sitting, but I implore you to see for yourself.

If I owned a film school, Final Destination 5 would be a required watch. It's the kind of movie that would make Alfred Hitchcock, the master of suspense, proud. It's a lesson to filmmakers on how to build tension so tight that it's shocking no viewer had brain hemorrhaging

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 10, 2011

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Oh, RAYD has been on my list for a while. That's the one about the contagion right?

Any others would be great.

RAYD is about a dirty bomb detonating in LA and a man holed up in his house hoping his wife will come home. Even slower paced than movies like Carriers and Stakeland, but I seem to recall it was good, if not sad.

Speaking of contagions, Contagion is coming out this fall and sounds awesome. Great cast, although I really dislike Gwyneth Paltrow. at least she dies in the trailer

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Whispering Machines posted:

I watched Stakeland last night. I had actually sorta seen it a while back but I was so distracted by a conversation I missed most of it. I loved it- it was like The Road with vampires, as had been mentioned, but really drat sad and with some nasty lookin' creatures. And Mister is a badass.

I'm glad you brought this back up. I watched it the same day it was mentioned, but by the time I got back here, the thread had moved on. My girlfriend and I really, really liked it! We watched The Road a few months back and both flat out hated it, so we both came into Stake Land hoping it would make up for The Road. And, boy, did it. I think the effects were really good for the budget, the acting was solid (overlooking a few hiccups), and it did a good job of selling the whole end of the world thing.

My only "complaint" would have to be the main Brotherhood guy, Jebedia, suddenly reappearing as the end to get even with Mister. It just seemed like the writers were a little desperate for a "final conflict" of sorts.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
When I saw Stakeland I thought it was The Road meets Zombieland with Vampires.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 10, 2011

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Slasherfan posted:

First review for Final Destination 5
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/reviewsnews.php?id=20442

Dread Central reviews Final Destination 5
http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/final-destination-5-2011
How often has it happened that the FIFTH movie in a series is on-par with the first one? Fast Five? Saw VI came close in some ways, but it's also not the 5th one in the series.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

But the second Final Destination was the best!

It happens at times with films where the first one isn't too good. ie. Harry Potter. Also, I think You Only Live Twice is better than Dr. No. But yes, it's rare, especially with horror, where the 5th sequel is normally either DTV (Lep in the Hood) or incredibly goofy (Friday the 13th) or horrible (Halloween 5).

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010
How 'bout that World War Z news?:

slashfilm posted:

Reading the book, it’s pretty easy to assume that a movie adaptation wouldn’t be a to-the-letter adaptation. There really aren’t any characters to latch onto and it’s mostly vignettes. Paramount has now confirmed that assumption with their official plot description of the currently shooting movie starring Brad Pitt and directed by Marc Forster. World War Z, the movie, takes place as the zombie outbreak is happening with a U.N. employee racing to stop it.

http://www.slashfilm.com/world-war-...m+%28%2FFilm%29

More disappointed than I thought I would be.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SpeedofLife posted:

Hold on, I thought the leaked script got massive amounts of positive feedback?

- edit http://www.quietearth.us/articles/2008/09/05/Post-apocalyptic-script-review-WORLD-WAR-Z

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36168

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

XIII posted:

I'm glad you brought this back up. I watched it the same day it was mentioned, but by the time I got back here, the thread had moved on. My girlfriend and I really, really liked it! We watched The Road a few months back and both flat out hated it, so we both came into Stake Land hoping it would make up for The Road. And, boy, did it. I think the effects were really good for the budget, the acting was solid (overlooking a few hiccups), and it did a good job of selling the whole end of the world thing.

My only "complaint" would have to be the main Brotherhood guy, Jebedia, suddenly reappearing as the end to get even with Mister. It just seemed like the writers were a little desperate for a "final conflict" of sorts.

I wasn't a fan of Jebedia coming back but I liked how the scene suggested that the virus was actually evolving and making people smarter/faster instead of turning people into dumb wild beasts. The sequence afterward with the waitress was a counterweight to the bleak climax (especially her line about the vampires dying from hunger) but it definitely made the ending feel like they still had a long way to go before getting any kind of closure.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

How often has it happened that the FIFTH movie in a series is on-par with the first one? Fast Five? Saw VI came close in some ways, but it's also not the 5th one in the series.
Hellraiser.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hedenius posted:

Hellraiser.
Which one was the 5th one? There were a couple of the direct-to-video Hellraiser ones I actually really liked, but I can't recall which the 5th one was. I really liked the one that was basically a Jacob's Ladder ripoff, where Pinhead has this big awesome monologue at the end.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

SpeedofLife posted:

I'm not. I found WWZ unreadable for the reason they described. It would have made a terrible movie if literally adapted.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

justlikedunkirk posted:

I wasn't a fan of Jebedia coming back but I liked how the scene suggested that the virus was actually evolving and making people smarter/faster instead of turning people into dumb wild beasts. The sequence afterward with the waitress was a counterweight to the bleak climax (especially her line about the vampires dying from hunger) but it definitely made the ending feel like they still had a long way to go before getting any kind of closure.

Strong point. I hadn't thought about the idea of the vampires evolving. I'd gladly watch a sequel.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Scissorfighter posted:

I'm not. I found WWZ unreadable for the reason they described. It would have made a terrible movie if literally adapted.

I thought it worked as a book, but yeah, that kind of episodic structure just wouldn't work as a movie. Maybe a TV miniseries.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Which one was the 5th one? There were a couple of the direct-to-video Hellraiser ones I actually really liked, but I can't recall which the 5th one was. I really liked the one that was basically a Jacob's Ladder ripoff, where Pinhead has this big awesome monologue at the end.

5 was the one with the cop, 6 was with the guy off Oz. They were both basically the same movie, but 6 had the girl from 1 and 2 in it. 5 was a little more Jacob's Ladderish, but barely.

Neither is better than 1 or 2, though.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Darko posted:

I thought 5 was pretty drat close in terms of objective quality.

As a movie, it was really loving good. As a Hellraiser movie... eh, not sure. Didn't really carry over a lot from the others.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Darko posted:

5 was the one with the cop, 6 was with the guy off Oz. They were both basically the same movie, but 6 had the girl from 1 and 2 in it. 5 was a little more Jacob's Ladderish, but barely.

Yeah, 5 is the one I'm thinking of. I liked that one a lot. 6 was alright, but like you said it's just like #5.

I didn't mind the one with Kari Wuhrer, either.

Hellraiser is really surprising for being a series with a bunch of direct-to-video sequels that aren't complete garbage. I don't even like #2 that much, to be honest. #1 is great (although I prefer the novella).

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Slasherfan posted:

When I saw Stakeland I thought it was The Road meets Zombieland with Vampires.

Yeah, definitely got the Zombieland thing going on.

I loved the actors in The Road (Pearce, Mortensen, Theron etc) but thought the movie was blah compared to the book, which I've read at least half a dozen times. The Road is just super depressing because even though the little boy gets picked up by a family after his father dies they're all completely hosed no matter what because there's no food, the air is polluted and nothing can grow in the forseeable future. At least with Zombieland and Stakeland there was a chance for survival.

Speaking of Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian is being made into a movie. While the book was not horror, I seem to recall that there was some serious, Serbian Film- level hosed up stuff lots and lots of dead babies and rape and terribleness

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

All that buys you is a little more pain than most
Who else is pumped as hell for Gutterballs 2? Gutterballs is required watching for 80s slasher fans and Trailer Park Boys fans. Just make sure you get the original version with the best of Canadian 70s rock and not the re-release with still pretty awesome 80s style synthesizer music

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hector Delgado posted:

I liked Lake Mungo , its about a teenage girl who died, and now things are happening. I really can't say much more as it would ruin the story. I thought it was really well done, you could probably convice someone its real. I'm pretty fearless when it comes to horror movies, but this one creeped me out when I turned off the lights.
Its not really a "found footage" movie, its more like a fake documentary, still good viewing.

I really enjoyed this film. Though, I can see people not liking it if they don't like found footage type films a lot of "look in the background till you see the face/something move" and other things that typically people turned off of the genre dislike. But it is really clever in a lot of ways and for a found footage film there are very few jump scenes..expect for a very memorable one..

I have a strange fetish for these types of movie because they scare me intensely. I don't really know why, I have enjoyed far more "frightening" films but these are pretty much guaranteed to get me. I think I was scarred as a young teen at the Mexican Birthday scene in Signs. Seems silly now, but drat that poo poo had a profound effect on my life.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

RevBabyKiller posted:

Who else is pumped as hell for Gutterballs 2? Gutterballs is required watching for 80s slasher fans and Trailer Park Boys fans. Just make sure you get the original version with the best of Canadian 70s rock and not the re-release with still pretty awesome 80s style synthesizer music

Gutterballs belongs in the Gutter, utter crap.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Slasherfan posted:

Gutterballs belongs in the Gutter, utter crap.

Wasn't Gutterballs the "dream sequence" movie-within-a-movie in The Big Lebowski? Where the Dude and Maude had the big Busby Berkeley style dance number where she was wearing the Valkyrie getup?

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Le0 posted:

Oh yeah, just thought of one more Found footage/fake docu movie that I liked. It is called Megan is Missing. This is an odd one, its almost like 2 films combined. The first hour or so is about two teenage girls, best friends, who fart around on the internet and such. Its like a "chick flick" a bit, showing them at school, hanging out, girl stuff. Then one of the girls goes missing, and the other looks into it, making video logs and diaries.
Then the last 25 minutes or so kick in, and oh boy does the mood of this film change. It goes from :j: to :staredog: pretty quick and doesn't let up. Its worth a view I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
thanks for all the ideas guys!

Also really surprised about Final Destination 5, I honestly never regarded that franchise highly and probably only saw a few of the movies which didn't really impress me. Guess I'll give the 5th one a chance.

Also World War Z will kick rear end because it is directed by a Swiss