Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)
I'm helping take care of an active, young border collie for the next few days. Any tips for mental stimulation? I've been playing hide and seek with his toys but any other suggestions would be great, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Is Lola too thin? I try to keep her at a healthy weight, or just a tiny bit short of that because she's active, but I constantly see fat dogs being paraded as normal so I'm not sure. My mum mentioned the other day she was looking kinda skinny, and she has been more active lately since the sun went away, so...

According to her food (Wainwrights puppy food), as she's between 6 and 12 months old and in the 'small' category, she should be getting between 40g and 140g a day. I measured out what she gets, and she gets around 130g a day. She only weighs like 12lbs though, so she's not the biggest 'small' dog but she's pretty active.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
She looks okay from the top (maybe her fur fills her out?) but from the side I would think slightly underweight. But as she is only a puppy still, she may not have filled out as much as she will in time. The curve in her back also throws me off as it makes her tuck look huge.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Ribs aren't visible, hips aren't protruding. She's looking good I think. Don't let her get any thinner. You could try upping her food a tiny bit and see how it effects her if you're concerned. I wouldn't worry too much though.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

She looks okay from the top (maybe her fur fills her out?) but from the side I would think slightly underweight. But as she is only a puppy still, she may not have filled out as much as she will in time. The curve in her back also throws me off as it makes her tuck look huge.

Her fur actually lies dead flat against her, because whilst it's summer she gets plucked within an inch of her life :v: But yeah her weird back does sometimes make her look like she has a hunchback. She just needs to get older and start packing on some more muscle to make it less noticeable, I think.

a life less posted:

Ribs aren't visible, hips aren't protruding. She's looking good I think. Don't let her get any thinner. You could try upping her food a tiny bit and see how it effects her if you're concerned. I wouldn't worry too much though.

I think I'll shove her in the crate for an extra hour or so a day with something to eat, especially on days when she's been running around more than usual, and see how it goes. Thanks!

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Fraction posted:

Her fur actually lies dead flat against her, because whilst it's summer she gets plucked within an inch of her life :v: But yeah her weird back does sometimes make her look like she has a hunchback. She just needs to get older and start packing on some more muscle to make it less noticeable, I think.

I think I'll shove her in the crate for an extra hour or so a day with something to eat, especially on days when she's been running around more than usual, and see how it goes. Thanks!

Yeah, as long as her ribs aren't visible, she's fine. People see so many fat dogs that overweight dogs look "normal" to them, and then your dog looks too skinny even though she's perfect.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
I think she looks great! I wouldn't change a thing.

Aeon
Apr 30, 2009

I just got home and as I was walking inside I saw a small bird right before I stepped on it. He was shaking like crazy and didn't really seem like he could move around. So I rushed inside to grab a shoebox and some towels to keep him in, but he was gone when I went back out for him. I looked around and he wasn't anywhere nearby so I guess (hope) he's alright. It made me realize that I've got no clue what to do when I come across a bird that actually does need my help. Could you folks tell me what needs to be done so I can be useful in the future?

e: I already know some places nearby that take wild animals like this, just wondering what I need to do if they're not available.

Aeon fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 8, 2011

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Aeon Eclipse posted:

It made me realize that I've got no clue what to do when I come across a bird that actually does need my help. Could you folks tell me what needs to be done so I can be useful in the future?

e: I already know some places nearby that take wild animals like this, just wondering what I need to do if they're not available.

There's quite literally nothing you could do yourself that would help a hurt bird other than to put it in a paper-towel lined shoebox and get it to a rehabber ASAP. Check with your local 24 hour emergency vets; most have a relationship with local rehabbers and will take them in if the rehabber isn't immediately available.

Baby birds which are naked without feathers: if you can see a nest, put it back in the nest. It'll probably get thrown out again and die anyhow. If you can't see or reach the nest, get it to a rehabber ASAP.

Adult birds with visible or non-visible injuries: it needs medical care, get it to rehabbers ASAP.

Baby birds that have feathers: leave them alone, they're fledglings and the parents are feeding them. If it's right in the way of a cat or a road, you can move it to a low tree branch or some bushes where it won't immediately get squished, but don't take it inside.

Do not attempt to provide food or water of any sort.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
So I've been reading up on urinary difficulties in neutered male cats because I've noticed Fred, my 2 year old, straining to pee occasionally. He'll squat in the litter box for a good minute, then jump out and start licking his crotch. I don't want to be one of those owners that freaks out over the tiniest things and runs to the vet, so I watch him like a hawk for signs of distress over the next 24 hours. But he stays his normal self, and doesn't react negatively when I feel around his belly, so the problem seems to resolve itself.

So, a few questions.

What warning signs should I be looking out for that this is something more serious than a temporary irritation? I watch him for lethargy (although he's already lethargic in the heat), feel his stomach for a full bladder and to see if it hurts him (though it usually annoys him), and watch the litter box (but with two cats its hard to tell who peed what).

Is there anything I can change about his diet to help prevent this from happening? He's on a dry food diet, and has a Fresh Flow water fountain available (he likes to drink directly from the stream). We do however have well water, which is softened with salt and we know has a high iron content (but is filtered twice by the time it gets to the kitchen sink where I refill their dish, and the fountain also has its own filter). I also privately suspect he gets some of his water intake from the toilet, which I do my best to suppress by shutting the lid but my husband leaves it up all the time.

How many occurrences is too many? Last time I recall seeing him strain to pee was the end of June, and then yesterday. A couple days before that, he was peeing against the side of the litterbox loud enough that I could hear him the next room over.

If I'm being too cautious, feel free to yell at me and tell me to call my vet about this. Everything I look up on the internet is worst case scenario stuff, blockages and bladders bursting, so I don't know how worried I should be. I did bring it up at the last vet appointment, but the vet and I got distracted when Fred decided to do his best impersonation of this cat on the exam table - thankfully without the screeching - so I never got an answer.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Lyz posted:

So, a few questions.

What warning signs should I be looking out for that this is something more serious than a temporary irritation? I watch him for lethargy (although he's already lethargic in the heat), feel his stomach for a full bladder and to see if it hurts him (though it usually annoys him), and watch the litter box (but with two cats its hard to tell who peed what)

Watch for loss of appetite, vomiting, increased hiding behavior, or any change in behavior such as grumpiness or increased clinginess. All of these are non-specific signs of illness in cats.

Lyz posted:

Is there anything I can change about his diet to help prevent this from happening? He's on a dry food diet, and has a Fresh Flow water fountain available (he likes to drink directly from the stream). We do however have well water, which is softened with salt and we know has a high iron content (but is filtered twice by the time it gets to the kitchen sink where I refill their dish, and the fountain also has its own filter). I also privately suspect he gets some of his water intake from the toilet, which I do my best to suppress by shutting the lid but my husband leaves it up all the time.

Wet food diets of any type are excellent for cats with urinary issues, as cats are not naturally big drinkers and the added moisture helps to keep their urine dilute, which irritates the bladder and urethra lining less.

There are prescription diets for urinary tract issues, which are usually used when urinary stones are the problem, or part of the problem. The type of diet can vary with the type of stone found or suspected.

Lyz posted:

How many occurrences is too many? Last time I recall seeing him strain to pee was the end of June, and then yesterday. A couple days before that, he was peeing against the side of the litterbox loud enough that I could hear him the next room over.

If it only happens occasionally, and your cat is an otherwise healthy 2 year old male cat, the most likely cause is FIC (feline interstitial cystitis). You can read some about it, and other causes of the same symptoms, here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416234

In a male cat, I would suggest doing everything you can to minimize the number and severity of flare-ups. If your cat does in fact have FIC (a vet visit for some diagnostics would be required to really make that diagnosis), it may be a problem periodically, but there are steps owners can take to keep it under control, such as increased water intake (wet food), and minimizing stress factors in the environment.

Lyz posted:

If I'm being too cautious, feel free to yell at me and tell me to call my vet about this. Everything I look up on the internet is worst case scenario stuff, blockages and bladders bursting, so I don't know how worried I should be. I did bring it up at the last vet appointment, but the vet and I got distracted when Fred decided to do his best impersonation of this cat on the exam table - thankfully without the screeching - so I never got an answer.

FIC can flare up in times of stress and then go away (which is one reason it is more likely in your cat), and can range in severity from episodes of straining to urinate to completely blocked cats that can die quickly. You are right to be very vigilant, and if I were you I would make another vet appointment, so you can get a diagnosis (see the post I linked for other possible causes of straining to urinate), and then you will be able to figure out what steps to take next. I really would not recommend simply monitoring for the next flare-up, since this problem can easily become life-threatening in male cats.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Chaco posted:

FIC can flare up in times of stress and then go away (which is one reason it is more likely in your cat), and can range in severity from episodes of straining to urinate to completely blocked cats that can die quickly. You are right to be very vigilant, and if I were you I would make another vet appointment, so you can get a diagnosis (see the post I linked for other possible causes of straining to urinate), and then you will be able to figure out what steps to take next. I really would not recommend simply monitoring for the next flare-up, since this problem can easily become life-threatening in male cats.

Awesome, thank you. I totally missed your awesome thread before, maybe there should be a PI subforum for all these reference threads since not all of us can search.

Fred seems fine now, laying around a lot because he dislikes the heat but still being social and frisky in short bursts. I will definitely get a call into the vet's office tomorrow about making an appointment to discuss it and get him checked out. Hopefully he'll be a bit better behaved than he was last time!

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
So I have a question, I have a small group of 6 hermit crabs that have been living together for quite some time now, and they have set up their 'pecking' order. Now my girlfriend recently bought a new hermit crab who is a bit larger than the other ones. Now when I put him in the tank, he goes straight for the leader of the 'herd' and engages in 'combat' with her. Now I have seen plenty of hermit crabs kill another hermit crab for territory and leadership. I was just wondering if anyone here has maybe any tips on trying to get them all to just settle down with the new crab, or should I just keep him in isolation and get crabs his size for his own herd? (Which I do not mind doing at all because I have the extra space for the tank.)

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
I've got a 6 hour car ride ahead of me today and I'll be bringing my kitten along for the move. I've never taken a cat along on such a long car ride and I'd like to know what I should be doing to make what promises to be a horribly stressful event as comfortable as possible for her.

Things that come to mind are how to facilitate her usage of the facilities, should I walk her every few hours or would the changing scenery just stress her out?

Revener fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 9, 2011

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Is it safe to use human salves on dogs, and are there any ingredients to avoid? I'm thinking things like calamine lotion, that sort of thing.

I'm asking because we have these horrible fire ants that keep popping up, and one of my dogs got bit by a few this morning. I've been bitten by them before as well and it hurts like hell for a few minutes and then it gets horribly itchy for a few days. My dog has already removed a bunch of his hair from the spot. :(

My vet happened to be out for something else and looked at him and basically said, "Yep, he'll be itchy for a few days." I'd like to put something soothing on if I can, though.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Revener posted:

I've got a 6 hour car ride ahead of me today and I'll be bringing my kitten along for the move. I've never taken a cat along on such a long car ride and I'd like to know what I should be doing to make what promises to be a horribly stressful event as comfortable as possible for her.

Things that come to mind are how to facilitate her usage of the facilities, should I walk her every few hours or would the changing scenery just stress her out?

Your cat will most likely not use a litterbox until you get to your destination and settle in. If you want, you can keep her in a medium-sized dog crate for the ride, and there would be plenty of room for a litterbox. I wouldn't take her out of the car, though. Kittens are squirmy and could probably get out of whatever kind of harness you put her in and cats in general have a tendency to bolt when they're freaked out.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

2tomorrow posted:

Is it safe to use human salves on dogs, and are there any ingredients to avoid? I'm thinking things like calamine lotion, that sort of thing.

I'm asking because we have these horrible fire ants that keep popping up, and one of my dogs got bit by a few this morning. I've been bitten by them before as well and it hurts like hell for a few minutes and then it gets horribly itchy for a few days. My dog has already removed a bunch of his hair from the spot. :(

My vet happened to be out for something else and looked at him and basically said, "Yep, he'll be itchy for a few days." I'd like to put something soothing on if I can, though.

Interested in this too. My dog has loads of mosquito bits on her stomach, and she scratches at them and makes them red and sore-looking. Would like to just give her a soak in a nice warm bath, and I'm curious if there are better options.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

2tomorrow posted:

I've used benadryl cream on Cambria's bug bites before. I'm not sure how much it helped, but it'd be worth a shot. Benadryl (in pill form) is also a safe drug for dogs, just double check with your vet on dosage.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Is there anything that works for keeping cats out of bedrooms with no doors? Girlfriend and I would like to enjoy private time without the furry brats jumping on the bed when we need it.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
My dog was smelling particularly bad, and then I realized he leaked smelly fluid on the bed. Is that what people talk about when they talk about anal glands? Does he need to see a vet? Is he going to do it again, and if so, how can I prevent it? He eats Natural Balance and takes Temaril-P for allergies.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Grey Mage posted:

Is there anything that works for keeping cats out of bedrooms with no doors? Girlfriend and I would like to enjoy private time without the furry brats jumping on the bed when we need it.

Multiple babygates that stretch between the doorways all the way up? You could also trap them in the bathroom and make them just deal with it.

PI, what constitutes a hoarder/freak? Many, many of us have multiple pets. I have the three dogs and the two snakes. The two cats will hopefully be rejoining us when we get back to the US. Many of the reptile folks have many, many reptiles in their house and/or hoardes of insects while several of the aquarium posters have multiple large tanks of fish in their homes. We've got a few posters with 5+ dogs that are all inside and one of our most popular gold threads involves an awesome goonette with lots of kitties in her house.

When does it become "too much"? Can someone own say, fifteen cats, and as long as their house is clean, the cats are well cared for and happy, and everything is healthy, be considered a typical pet owner? What about someone who owns two dogs and has six 55+ gallon fish tanks that are fully stocked? Are they 'fish crazy' or are they just your typical pet owner?

There has to be a line here somewhere, but I don't think I've ever really managed to see a standard when you move from 'pet owner' to 'pet collector/hoarder'. I'm curious what everybody here thinks.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I think you become a hoarder when the quality of life tanks. If you have a 16,000 sqft house with 3 acres of land and enough money, having five cats, four dogs, six horses and some chickens probably isn't a big deal. If you live in a studio apartment and have seven cats there just isn't enough space to accommodate a good life.

quote:

Multiple babygates that stretch between the doorways all the way up?

Installing a door sounds less complicated

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Thanks for the tip about Benadryl, GoreJess. I'm going to pick some of the lotion up tomorrow to see if it helps.

2508084 posted:

I think you become a hoarder when the quality of life tanks. If you have a 16,000 sqft house with 3 acres of land and enough money, having five cats, four dogs, six horses and some chickens probably isn't a big deal. If you live in a studio apartment and have seven cats there just isn't enough space to accommodate a good life.

I agree. As far as "pets" go, we have 6 dogs, 2 cats, 19 horses, and 3 donkeys. That's not including the goats, chickens or cattle. The horses are bought and sold frequently (I sell horses for a significant part of my income), and I'm sure you can guess what happens to the cattle. ;) But we live on 500 acres and have more in grazing leases. If we had all that on an acre or two, or if we couldn't afford to feed them or get them appropriate vet care, we'd be hoarders. Or if we couldn't physically provide the care for them (and actually we can't, but we hire people to help which still counts) but still were convinced we were the best home for them and refused to sell, then we'd be hoarders.

There's also a difference I think between "in over your head" and "hoarder." I see a lot of people with too many animals and the care suffers, but they're not necessarily hoarders. They can still rehome animals, even if they don't always see the need right away. A hoarder literally cannot bring themselves to find a new home for any animal, which is why it usually gets so extreme and requires intervention from the authorities. I've been involved with two cases of honest-to-god hoarders and it's really amazing, and not in a good way. It is in a whole 'nother league from even large or severe neglect cases without the mental illness apsect.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

2508084 posted:

Installing a door sounds less complicated

Sadly, installing a door in a cinderblock apartment from the late 1940s seems low on the list of maintenance's priorities. loving rentals.

Sticking them in the bathroom will have to work.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I know this is a debated topic, but when should I think about getting Nova (corgi pup) spayed? She's a hair over 4 months old now.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

6-7 months is pretty good, as many breeds can be near-full grown (other than some of the giant/large breeds).

Also, if there happen to be deciduous teeth still present, it's known that they can come out at that time, whereas if you do a surgery, say, now at 4 months, it won't be known if those deciduous teeth should be extracted at that time (if there).

Edit:
Oh, nearly forgot something important. Fraction: OMG TERRIER I LOVE IT AND WANT TO HUG IT. That is all.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Does anyone know a good shelter (preferably no-kill) or program in Orange County, CA for cats?

My friend is in a bind and needs to find a place for her two cats, and I'm rather unfamiliar with the whole ordeal (I've adopted pets before, but have never given them up). Unfortunately I don't know anyone who is able to take the cats.

There are tons of shelters in the county but it's really hard to determine which ones are good places unless I go to every single one. I'd just like to know if anyone has had a good experience with one or two of them so I can check them out first. Or maybe a good rescue program?

I realize the no-kill shelters in the area may be full. If it helps at all the cats do not get along, so they don't need to go to the same shelter.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
If no one has any personal recommendations check petfinder.com. The shelters that are no kill usually say as much when they advertise their animals. Also, call your local pound, they may be able to refer you to a nokill

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Chaco posted:

If it only happens occasionally, and your cat is an otherwise healthy 2 year old male cat, the most likely cause is FIC (feline interstitial cystitis). You can read some about it, and other causes of the same symptoms, here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416234

Just as a quick update, Fred went to the vet and turns out his has a UTI, so he came home with an antibiotic and an anti-spasmodic.

My husband is kind of really lazy in cleaning the litter box (usually I do it every morning but I'm banned from touching it for 2 more months), is a dirty litter box something that causes a UTI? If so, I can use this to guilt him into cleaning it more often.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

There has to be a line here somewhere, but I don't think I've ever really managed to see a standard when you move from 'pet owner' to 'pet collector/hoarder'. I'm curious what everybody here thinks.

I think when you lack the money and motivation to take care of the animals that you have, and you have quite a few, you've moved on to hoarder. Hoarders tend to think giving an animal shelter and food is all that is needed to make a cat healthy and happy, and neglect basic care. So the cats aren't fixed or vaccinated, don't get dewormed, flea treated, or have their ears cleaned at all.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Lyz posted:

Just as a quick update, Fred went to the vet and turns out his has a UTI, so he came home with an antibiotic and an anti-spasmodic.

My husband is kind of really lazy in cleaning the litter box (usually I do it every morning but I'm banned from touching it for 2 more months), is a dirty litter box something that causes a UTI? If so, I can use this to guilt him into cleaning it more often.

Nope, dirty litter shouldn't really be a factor. Is the cat long-haired? Sometimes having a poopy butt can lead to UTIs. Did the vet check for stones (via x-ray?) That's another possible predisposing factor. It is odd for a young male cat to have a UTI for no reason, so it is a good idea to look for reasons why it happened.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Chaco posted:

Nope, dirty litter shouldn't really be a factor. Is the cat long-haired? Sometimes having a poopy butt can lead to UTIs. Did the vet check for stones (via x-ray?) That's another possible predisposing factor. It is odd for a young male cat to have a UTI for no reason, so it is a good idea to look for reasons why it happened.

Nope, short haired, and the vet didn't do an xray just a urinalysis. Vet said bacteria in the urine and a few crystals but nothing to indicate it was more than a UTI. So he's on amoxicillin and prazosin twice daily and I'm to watch him for further problems and of course, for complete blockage.

Guess I'll be Googling symptoms of UTIs in cats tomorrow.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
I found a stray pup a few months ago and ended up adopting her. She originally tested negative for heartworms, but today she tested positive. They explained to me that she likely had them before I found her, but that they are just now far along enough to show up. She hasn't had any issues recently, in fact she's probably been more hyper than normal. No coughing etc etc. The x-rays showed no enlarging of the heart, just some inflammation in the lungs. She's going to start the Immiticide treatment on Monday.

They said she's got a 90-95% chance of being just fine, but I'm still loving freaked out. She's a really hyper dog and keeping her calm is going to be a challenge. We've set her crate up in a quiet room that we pretty much use for reading and napping but she still gets really excited and bangs her tail against the crate anytime anything happens.

When vets say "no excercise or physical activity", what exactly are they referring to? Obviously no running or wrestling with the other dog, but how dangerous is it for her to be wiggly and puppy-like?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
3 times in the last 10 minutes, my cat, while walking around, crouched and farted. I think I've heard her fart regularly while she poos, but I've never seen her do this "in public," nor with this frequency. Her litter box is pretty clean, so I don't think she's avoiding that. Could this be a bad sign?

daynip
Jan 13, 2010
I recently moved back home (graduated) and I had to leave my cats in boarding. It's a house out in the country that's a shelter/rescue + boarding/grooming. I really did not want to leave my three cats there, but I had NO choice. It was either that or rent a hotel for more than a week and that's incredibly expensive. My family REFUSES to let animals in their home. I asked all of my friends, but no one could help me out . I was so sad because no one would help me out with such a small favor.

The day we moved was a REALLY stressful day. It was a 2+ hour drive. The cats were not used to the car and were crying like crazy. All of them peed (we washed them up as best as we could when we got home) and then they were stuck in condo cages in a room w/other cats and unfortunately, one barking dog. The room was also small.

Condo-cage was 4 feet wide and 4 feet high. They were in there for 7 days (10 days total without a "home"). I visited them everyday and I could tell they were pretty miserable. I tried to give them evo can food, but crappy dry food was thrown in there. They were also stuck with really sick kittens/cats that were strays or abandoned. I was worried about it, but I really didn't think they would get sick.

About 5 days into it, the male cats starts throwing up his food. I spoke to the lady in charge and she said that it's just hairballs and that she sees it all the time. On the 6th day, he's still doing it + losing weight. I told my boyfriend I was taking him out of there. We were very lucky on the 7th day because we found someone that allowed us to keep them in a room they had instead of renting a hotel. They were excited to be out and they went nuts on their scratching post. The male cat ate his food, but started to throw up again on the second day of staying there. I now have him in my apartment and he's not throwing up, but he's coughing a lot. It looks like he has a hairball, but nothing comes out. He has done this 5 times today. We tried giving him hairball medicine and that's not working. We are taking him to the vet.

What could be wrong with him? The other cats are fine and show no sign of this. They've had their shots and they even had a booster set last year.

daynip fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 12, 2011

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
My dog got into some flax seed meal and ate ~1 cup. Does it make sense to give him some rice to help counteract the flax?

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
I'm in grad school right now, but I plan on moving to Nevada after I graduate. When I get out there, I plan on getting a dog, and would like one I can take on hikes and camping trips with me. Can anyone suggest an active dog breed that will do well in a desert environment? I want to start researching rescues/shelters both here and in Nevada, and what care this mystery breed will require.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Hermetic posted:

I'm in grad school right now, but I plan on moving to Nevada after I graduate. When I get out there, I plan on getting a dog, and would like one I can take on hikes and camping trips with me. Can anyone suggest an active dog breed that will do well in a desert environment? I want to start researching rescues/shelters both here and in Nevada, and what care this mystery breed will require.

Ridgebacks are pretty good durable dogs for endurance type exercise. So long as you can keep up with regular exercise requirements along with those hikes and trips. However, do make sure you're very set in your life and schedule after you move before making any kind of a choice so you're not mentally set on a breed that might not work out.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Kerfuffle posted:

Ridgebacks are pretty good durable dogs for endurance type exercise. So long as you can keep up with regular exercise requirements along with those hikes and trips. However, do make sure you're very set in your life and schedule after you move before making any kind of a choice so you're not mentally set on a breed that might not work out.

Oh yeah. I'm not planning on getting the dog the day I move in or anything. That's why I wanted several breeds, so I could find one that will fit with my lifestyle, AND not be miserable if I decide to take it wandering through a canyon for a weekend.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

The first breed I thought of was an Australian Cattle Dog. They're tough as nails and super energetic though. Not for your standard Joe Petowner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

a life less posted:

The first breed I thought of was an Australian Cattle Dog. They're tough as nails and super energetic though. Not for your standard Joe Petowner.

Howso? All I'm seeing on the Wiki page is that thy need to be challenged a little more than other dogs.

EDIT: Not saying you're wrong, just curious what you mean.

Hermetic fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 13, 2011