Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

BlueDestiny posted:

On a side note, since we're in the 3-day period for the retro pack do we get it randomly during this period or at the end of it?

It's in the C-Store. There may be some sales or something but it's doubtful the retro pack itself will be on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

More specifically, the range of dates is when the content is expected to launch. They just give a little leeway there in case of last-minute problems or the like, so they can push things back a few days and still hit the "target".

And yeah, the retro sci-fi pack will be premium (like most everything they release these days, for better or worse).

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Asimo posted:

And yeah, the retro sci-fi pack will be premium (like most everything they release these days, for better or worse).

As a currently F2P user, I can't say I hold their recent premium releases against them. It's a good combination of seeming worth the money while also not making me feel cheated if I don't have it. The amount of free content is still hefty enough that I've yet to hit up against a pay wall when I really, really wanted to do something. I'm sure I'll get there, eventually, but by that point I'll probably have put so much time into the game that tossing a few dollars their way seems polite.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah, I just wish there was a little more time put into content as well. The fact the release schedule got about ten times faster after the F2P patch hit shows just how successful it was for them and how effective it is as a revenue stream, especially since the vast majority of it is purely cosmetic and doesn't feel unfair. And hell, if you're subscribed you get 400 Cryptic Fun Bucks per month atop it, so you can grab one of these releases for "free".

And yeah, I'm basically going to buy all the retro sci-fi stuff this month. Try and stop me. :shepface:

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Asimo posted:

Oh yeah, I just wish there was a little more time put into content as well. The fact the release schedule got about ten times faster after the F2P patch hit shows just how successful it was for them and how effective it is as a revenue stream, especially since the vast majority of it is purely cosmetic and doesn't feel unfair. And hell, if you're subscribed you get 400 Cryptic Fun Bucks per month atop it, so you can grab one of these releases for "free".

And yeah, I'm basically going to buy all the retro sci-fi stuff this month. Try and stop me. :shepface:

Those boots and chest armor pieces are god drat perfect for megaman ripoffs, I'm telling you.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Asimo posted:

And hell, if you're subscribed you get 400 Cryptic Fun Bucks per month atop it, so you can grab one of these releases for "free".

I remembered bout the zombie costume pack that I never bought earlier today. So I bought it. And then proceeded to be informed that the costume pieces drop during the upcoming Blood Moon event.

:negative:

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Rocketlex posted:

Relevant to recent discussion: Best Use of Body/Face Sliders

I think Captain Thalidoide's Hall of Fame covers that one :v:

I also have about 100-150g I can toss into the pot. I want in on this CC judging action :unsmigghh:

EDIT: Jesus I am too tired to be typing :smith:

Mewnie fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 10, 2011

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

Provided they haven't spent all their money, we have 300g from Bluhman, 100 from jjac, 100 from Jan, and an unspecified amount from delfin. If anyone else wants to toss some in, speak up.

I'll specify the 400g I sat aside when we were first discussing this, and if the CC goes well I can easily go higher so we can do it more than once. (Selling travel power components is an absurdly easy way to rack it up.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asimo posted:

More specifically, the range of dates is when the content is expected to launch. They just give a little leeway there in case of last-minute problems or the like, so they can push things back a few days and still hit the "target".

Which is apparently what happened, since there was no maintenance last night.

Unless they patched it in in a previous patch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Double post!

I made this character for a Horror Oddball category in a CC last night (Which I couldn't even enter because my power went out for 7 hours.)

His name is Yo Dawg We Heard You Like Skulls.

Immediately out of the post-tutorial powerhouse (Which I never exited last night), I see this guy. His name is The King.

We have hit the saturation point, people. There is no longer a way to make a mocking costume, because someone has actually done it.

Edit: God drat, I just fell further down the rabbit hole.

These are Flame, and Fire (Respectively.)

Flame uses Munitions. Fire uses one of the Martial Arts sets.

(Since imgur rewrites filenames I just want you all to know I called this throughthefireandflame.jpg so you know how super clever I am.)

And yeah, I got some of my window border on the side there and didn't feel like removing it.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 10, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

(Since imgur rewrites filenames I just want you all to know I called this throughthefireandflame.jpg so you know how super clever I am.)

Coincidentally enough I am reading through the Let's Read: John Ringo's Ghost (This thread is a party boat to HELL) thread so this got a chuckle out of me.

Yes, my first exposure to DragonForce was in Choosers of the Slain. And the relevant scene (where Tamara reds out and vaporizes the dug in emplacement in a Hind) is still awesome no matter how horrible everything else Ringo writes. :colbert:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

On the CO Wiki there are guides for Electricity and Fireand I was wondering if someone who knows more about this stuff than me can tell me if these builds are actually good or if they are out of date or just stupid.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

BigRed0427 posted:

On the CO Wiki there are guides for Electricity and Fireand I was wondering if someone who knows more about this stuff than me can tell me if these builds are actually good or if they are out of date or just stupid.

Check out the OP. There are writeups by Bluhman on pretty much all the powersets.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

At the moment, according to dev posts ("The maintenance was completed successfully. However, due to technical difficulties the shard was not updated at this time. Keep an eye on the forums for the next maintenance window announcment. Thank you for your patience.") and chatter going around, it looks like the patch actually hit but the content didn't actually launch, so the Retro Sci-Fi costume set and revised Aftershock mission set won't launch until Friday, maybe.

:negative:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, they canceled the patch last night. The servers still went down for backend stuff, and the patch is supposed to hit this morning.

I can't be the only one thinking "gently caress PvP" and wanting the Retro Scifi set just pushed alone.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Eh, we can wait, we've got a lifetime ahead of us! :downsrim:

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Oh, CRYPTIC! :allears:

It was only a matter of time before they bungled their release calendar.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Aphrodite posted:

Double post!

I made this character for a Horror Oddball category in a CC last night (Which I couldn't even enter because my power went out for 7 hours.)

His name is Yo Dawg We Heard You Like Skulls.

Immediately out of the post-tutorial powerhouse (Which I never exited last night), I see this guy. His name is The King.

We have hit the saturation point, people. There is no longer a way to make a mocking costume, because someone has actually done it.

I don't really see the mockery. But then all I can see from both these costumes is 'Space Marine'.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bloodly posted:

I don't really see the mockery. But then all I can see from both these costumes is 'Space Marine'.

Aphrodite's costume is a mockery of all the grimdark skullskullskull costumes out there. And he immediately runs into (a supposedly unironic) identical(ish) one.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Bloodly posted:

I don't really see the mockery.

The guy literally has skulls on top of of his skulls. He's a walking pile of skulls. Would you really believe a hero with such a costume? (Outside of the obvious "heroes aren't real" aspect.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bloodly posted:

That's kind of the point. Once what would be an obvious mockery is now just normal.

Black is white! Up is down! Dogs are living with cats! Hamburgers eat you! You're hot and you're cold! You're yes and you're no!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Jan posted:

The guy literally has skulls on top of of his skulls. He's a walking pile of skulls. Would you really believe a hero with such a costume? (Outside of the obvious "heroes aren't real" aspect.)

What are you racist against skulls or something?

Maybe he just has a boner for skulls.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Hamburgers eat you!

New costume pack found:

edit: Build chat - how does this look for a mobile DPS-focused Electric build? I'm kind of happy with the attack power selections, I prefer character-emanating ones for concept (:gay:) reasons (Electrocute is mostly there for the resist debuff vs stuff life legendaries). I just threw in a bunch of clickies that I could use comic-book logic to explain.

I tried an END/CON/rec setup but I didn't seem to get that much more out of Resurgence or Imbue with Con statted for, but I did/do run into situations where a higher at-rest equilibrium would have been very nice.

Superstats:
Level 6: Super Endurance
Level 13: Super Recovery

Powers:
Level 1: Electric Bolt -- Lightning Overload, Rank 2
Level 1: Lightning Arc -- Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 6: Sparkstorm -- Rank 2, Electric Personality
Level 6: Superspeed -- Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 8: Electric Form -- Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 11: Ionic Reverberation
Level 14: Gigabolt -- Death Arc, Rank 2
Level 17: Electrocute -- Superconductor, Rank 2
Level 20: Electric Shield -- Electric Vengeance, Rank 2
Level 23: Electric Sheath -- Matter - Energy Union
Level 26: Inertial Dampening Field
Level 29: Sonic Device -- Deafening Dissolution
Level 32: Masterful Dodge
Level 35: Resurgence
Level 35: Teleport -- Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 38: Nanobot Swarm

Talents:
Level 1: Energized
Level 6: Amazing Stamina
Level 9: Energetic
Level 12: Tireless
Level 15: Boundless Reserves
Level 18: Quick Recovery
Level 21: Enduring

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 12, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Asimo posted:

so the Retro Sci-Fi costume set and revised Aftershock mission set won't launch until Friday, maybe.
Guess who was right here after all? :mmmsmug:

That said: the Retro Sci-Fi set finally hit today, as did the consolidated Aftershock adventure pack thing. I haven't given that a try yet, but there's supposed to be new rewards and all for it too.

In addition, they tossed the Retrain Tokens on the C-store too. A silver player can change a character's archetype to another, and a gold player can change a freeform to an archetype or vice versa. Finally!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Congrats. You successfully predicted a Friday launch about 12 hours after RoBoBo stated it would be a Friday launch!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

So any chance the retro guns actually change your bullet effects?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

randombattle posted:

So any chance the retro guns actually change your bullet effects?
Sadly, nah. That'd be a bigger change than just some costume stuff. They do however have them as options for the appropriate Gadgeteering powers at least, and presumably they'll apply for the ones that are added later this month too.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Asimo posted:

Sadly, nah. That'd be a bigger change than just some costume stuff. They do however have them as options for the appropriate Gadgeteering powers at least, and presumably they'll apply for the ones that are added later this month too.

So sad but the costume pieces are worth it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

randombattle posted:

So sad but the costume pieces are worth it.

I am so going to buy it as soon as I can come up with a better name than Captain Future. :negative:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm so mad I bought some stupid costume pack two days before the awesome sci-fi pack came out :mad:

I mean I could just drop the six dollars on some coins but argh

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

The scifi pack is really good. You get guns, armor bits, some brand new heads, tights and facewear. A lot of it mixes well with other costume bits too.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. It's really just a lot of "stuff". You get the "armored spacesuit" costume pieces (with many variants for the bubble helmets and some interesting glow effects on the metal pieces), you get the "retro hero" jumpsuit stuff, and you get some weapons for both munitions and gadgeteering. The amount of combinations in this set alone is just kind of dazzling, and even if you're not a fan of the bubble helmets the space suit parts can fit just about any sort of robot/power armored concept. The brushed metal textured and colored reflection "glows" are interesting experiments I hope they move to other pieces too.

Also, I could finally do a perfect costume for Brainiape.

Basically the set is perfect and if you don't buy it you are what is wrong with gaming. :colbert:

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004
The set is great, but they really should have let people use more heads under the bubble helmets. Insect heads in particular.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

WarLocke posted:

I tried an END/CON/rec setup but I didn't seem to get that much more out of Resurgence or Imbue with Con statted for, but I did/do run into situations where a higher at-rest equilibrium would have been very nice.

Superstats:
Level 6: Super Endurance
Level 13: Super Recovery

Powers:
Level 1: Electric Bolt -- Lightning Overload, Rank 2
Level 1: Lightning Arc -- Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 6: Sparkstorm -- Rank 2, Electric Personality
Level 6: Superspeed -- Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 8: Electric Form -- Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 11: Ionic Reverberation
Level 14: Gigabolt -- Death Arc, Rank 2
Level 17: Electrocute -- Superconductor, Rank 2
Level 20: Electric Shield -- Electric Vengeance, Rank 2
Level 23: Electric Sheath -- Matter - Energy Union
Level 26: Inertial Dampening Field
Level 29: Sonic Device -- Deafening Dissolution
Level 32: Masterful Dodge
Level 35: Resurgence
Level 35: Teleport -- Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 38: Nanobot Swarm

Talents:
Level 1: Energized
Level 6: Amazing Stamina
Level 9: Energetic
Level 12: Tireless
Level 15: Boundless Reserves
Level 18: Quick Recovery
Level 21: Enduring

Are you using gigabolt for the taps? If so, I'd keep that. Otherwise I'd suggest Chest Beam for charges.

Drop Nanobot Swarm and resurgence, get Conviction and maybe Mindful Reinforcement (It looks kind of electric.) They're not superb and conviction is a lot better than resurgence if you don't need something to break free from holds. Plus Conviction can be gotten early on, being a tier 1 power.

And maybe ball lightning instead of Sonic device, so you'd have more to play off of ionic reverberation. You could rank down your energy builder or drop the advantage to get the one on ball lightning.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sostratos posted:

The set is great, but they really should have let people use more heads under the bubble helmets. Insect heads in particular.
Well, they were hesitant to do the bubble helmet stuff out of their paranoid fear of blatant clipping issues, and looking at the helmets it seems that even the largest would probably have issues with the insect heads, or most of the animal heads. But hey, you've still got gorilla heads and the other human-scale ones, and the elder worm and floating brain options make up for the lack.

Allatum posted:

Are you using gigabolt for the taps? If so, I'd keep that. Otherwise I'd suggest Chest Beam for charges.

Drop Nanobot Swarm and resurgence, get Conviction and maybe Mindful Reinforcement (It looks kind of electric.) They're not superb and conviction is a lot better than resurgence if you don't need something to break free from holds. Plus Conviction can be gotten early on, being a tier 1 power.

And maybe ball lightning instead of Sonic device, so you'd have more to play off of ionic reverberation. You could rank down your energy builder or drop the advantage to get the one on ball lightning.
Oh, for god's sake keep Gigabolt. :stare: It's still brokenly overpowered even after a half-dozen different nerfs, and the only reason to use Chest Beam over it if you have Electric Form/Ionic Reverberation synergy is for the damage debuff. Admittedly this is a pretty good reason to slip it in regardless if you can find room for it.

I do agree with Allatum otherwise though. Having some sort of healing/defense ability that isn't a long-cooldown active ability is quite useful even on a DPS build; Bionic Shielding and Protection Field are other potential options (if inferior ones for this build) there. You definitely don't need nanobot swarm either; the only real cooldowns you'd have are sonic device and the active buffs and neither really demand something to reduce them further.

I suggest grabbing a defensive passive later on too if you have room, maybe Invulnerability or Defiance. Sure, you won't be a tank with this build, but the pure-DPS builds tend to have issues with things they can't nuke down quickly. This doesn't happen often admittedly, but having the option to throw on a defensive passive can make soloing things like mission packs or certain instanced quests a lot easier.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anyone know how this guy made himself transparent?

His only buffs are Flight and Fiery Form.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Was he level 30-something? There's one of the elder worm missions in Monster Island that gives an item called Humidifier Dome or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was 40. So equipping the item makes you transparent like that?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
This is very important: Can you be a brain outside of a bubble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I am so going to buy it as soon as I can come up with a better name than Captain Future. :negative:

Hmm that makes me want to make a character named Captain Quantum.