Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The Golden throne is literally a toilet that is so shiny, every astropath in the galaxy can see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Been a while since I've posted anything, so here's my most recent WIP: my War Hydra, fresh out of her bath in Devlan Mud. Still needs highlighting and a few touch ups but I like how she's coming along. Any comments/suggestions always welcome since I'm still fairly new at this.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

The Golden throne is literally a toilet that is so shiny, every astropath in the galaxy can see it.

This is now literally canon to me now.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'm obsessed with those Les Bursley washes now. I just spent an hour in a haze mixing up the perfect wash to go over red planet style bases. I want to make washes for literally everything now.

Anyone have any experience with Scibor minis? Some of their stuff is clearly made to be 40k stand ins. Just looking through their SF range and it's like "Oh, hey, a Vulkan, a Marneus Calgar, some Space Wolves, a [insert Blood Angels angel character here]", etc. They look great on the site but greens/site pics always do.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 10, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Bloodcrushers are named after Wesley Crusher...'s dad, who got crushed under a beam, and was all bloody as a result.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

So I was looking at some pictures of real life tanks, and it turns out that the most realistic way to paint tanks is to just gently caress it and spray paint them dark green.

ugh this isn't painted at all, that's just a couple of coats of camo green spray, the ones in the background haven't even been primed

Christ, this guy really needs to THIN HIS loving PAINTS, that's thick and smudgy as hell. He even sprayed over the headlights.

This one looks like he put a devlan mud wash on at least.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 10, 2011

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting from the Infinity thread:

Now I'm seriously wondering about painting up a camo space marine just for the hell of it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Dominion posted:

I'm obsessed with those Les Bursley washes now. I just spent an hour in a haze mixing up the perfect wash to go over red planet style bases. I want to make washes for literally everything now.

Anyone have any experience with Scibor minis? Some of their stuff is clearly made to be 40k stand ins. Just looking through their SF range and it's like "Oh, hey, a Vulkan, a Marneus Calgar, some Space Wolves, a [insert Blood Angels angel character here]", etc. They look great on the site but greens/site pics always do.

I do. I picked up a set of Scibor's Sci-Fi Romans to turn into Custodes terminators. Here they are:

The casting is generally very good. Plenty of detail, little flash, though the shoulder pads don't necessarily come out of their sprues easily and they don't fit onto SM terminator arms without fairly heavy trimming. The service was very quick. Overall, I am pleased with what I got from them and it made for a great painting diversion and frightening unit for Apocalypse games.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Wait. GW's current brushes aren't a synthetic? What the gently caress are they made of? I've been telling everyone they are a cheap synthetic and they probably won't last very long. I don't feel bad for this.

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!
A friend of mine has just started making and selling premium terrain pieces and they're damned good. Search the seller Terrainfx on ebay.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I would appreciate it if a couple of people could take a peak at this compilation of useless links I compiled and tell me if I'm missing any good ones

http://lethemonster.blogspot.com/p/links.html

I think I've got all the main ones, but every so often someone pops up with an obscure gem!

Edit; added terrain fx! Those pieces look really nifty, I shall be ordering some.

Edit2; Finally got some pictures of my first finished models ever!

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 10, 2011

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Both Massive Voodoo and Hand Cannon Online have some nifty tutorials.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ashcans posted:

I need some help with color choic/theory. I have been painting my Eldar in a Teal/Ceramic/Purple/Gold scheme that I like and has generally been working out really well for me. I have posted a number of shots in this thread, but I'll report a couple at the end of this post for reference.

The next thing I would like to add to the army is some Harlequins. Now, I have been painting aspect warriors using the same army colors, but this doesn't really seem appropriate for Harlequins - both from a fluff perspective, and because I would like them to be a bit more flamboyant than the rest of the force. But I am also wary of painting them up in a way that will make them clash horribly with the rest of the army. So what do I do?

My best idea at the moment is to use the same four colors I have for the rest of the army, but combine them with white and black - so painting their diamond-pattern using purple and white, or teal and black. My thought is that those would create a nice strong contrast, but don't actually clash with anything. What do you guys think?

Current scheme:

(DRILL MY BARRELS I KNOW)

I could really use some input on this, if anyone has thoughts. :(

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh hey, Blick's selling their house-brand brushes half-off through September.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Ashcans posted:

I don't know about Harlequin fluff, but I think a yellow/purple checker pattern would make them stand out a little without clashing totally against the rest of the army. The yellow is pretty close to your white and purple to your blue, and it's a sexy color combination.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Ultramarine is actually a color in of itself:

Been around for hundreds of years.

That poo poo is 3d. So rich.

(I also assumed that Ultramarine was a made-up color back when we started playing, good thing I got my brother to set me straight!)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

WhiteOutMouse posted:

(I also assumed that Ultramarine was a made-up color back when we started playing, good thing I got my brother to set me straight!)

True Story time.

One of the first Warhammer threads back in 2004/2005 somewhen started out because there was a thread in GBS called "What are Ultramarines?". Within a few posts it was hijacked by a lot of people who now post here and became one of the biggest threads. After about 3 more Megathreads we were moved to Traditional Games and back several times.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ashcans posted:

Swap either the blue or the white parts for red.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

richyp posted:

True Story time.

One of the first Warhammer threads back in 2004/2005 somewhen started out because there was a thread in GBS called "What are Ultramarines?". Within a few posts it was hijacked by a lot of people who now post here and became one of the biggest threads. After about 3 more Megathreads we were moved to Traditional Games and back several times.

Wasn't it a post some guy made where a real spider was 'attacking' his marines and he took a bunch of pictures and it went from there?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Arlaharen posted:

I don't know about Harlequin fluff, but I think a yellow/purple checker pattern would make them stand out a little without clashing totally against the rest of the army. The yellow is pretty close to your white and purple to your blue, and it's a sexy color combination.

sassassin posted:

Swap either the blue or the white parts for red.

Thanks for the input, guys! I'll have to think about which of these to go with (or maybe find time to try them both). I have a little bit of purple in the main force, so a purple/yellow might be a good choice. Eyeballing it, a red-blue could also be boss.

Fluffwise, Harlequins aren't affiliated with a particular army/Eldar world, they are roaming groups that turn up to help Eldar forces. So there isn't a particular reason they would be wearing the army uniform, rather than their own particular outfits/styles. Having said that, I am sure they could bring a change of pants to help fit in.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I was the other way; I just couldn't take a future knight order seriously if they're named after a color.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ashcans posted:

Thanks for the input, guys! I'll have to think about which of these to go with (or maybe find time to try them both). I have a little bit of purple in the main force, so a purple/yellow might be a good choice. Eyeballing it, a red-blue could also be boss.

Fluffwise, Harlequins aren't affiliated with a particular army/Eldar world, they are roaming groups that turn up to help Eldar forces. So there isn't a particular reason they would be wearing the army uniform, rather than their own particular outfits/styles. Having said that, I am sure they could bring a change of pants to help fit in.

I have trouble looking at bright red and blue schemes and not thinking of Spiderman. Purple/Yellow I think is better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lethemonster posted:

Edit2; Finally got some pictures of my first finished models ever!

gently caress YOU those aren't your first finished models. I don't believe it. I REFUSE to believe it! Nobody does that good on their first models.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
So I finally got some progress on my Warjacks, sort of liking how they are turning out now. I did the bronzing technique mentioned a few pages back and it looks "ok" but I'm thinking I might want a more gold look than bronze/brass I have now. Still have a lot to finish up though but I do really like the way the top Logo looks though:

http://i51.tinypic.com/zsthxj.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/122dwys.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/69olkn.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/jl3uw8.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/rtjdao.jpg

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
poo poo dude for what it's worth I think that's looking pretty good. The bronze/brass look is good for smokestacks and so on that are unlikely to have a gleaming finish anyways.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Captain Invictus posted:

gently caress YOU those aren't your first finished models. I don't believe it. I REFUSE to believe it! Nobody does that good on their first models.

My first models would have been 200% better than they were if washes had existed back then.

Punk kids today have it easy.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

Hal Gill username posted:

poo poo dude for what it's worth I think that's looking pretty good. The bronze/brass look is good for smokestacks and so on that are unlikely to have a gleaming finish anyways.

Thanks. I do like the smoke stacks, it's more the axe and the broiler area that I don't like as much.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ashcans posted:

I would use contrasting Orange and black on the harlequins for a halloween-like look that will help them stand out, but use teal and white on their weapons and crests in order to help anchor them to the rest of the force. Because of the choices you've made, the complimentary colors are orange, yellow, and black. That is a powerful combination, and I think it would work well, but if you've a sourpuss, you may be like Michael Kors on project runway

"Girlfriend, I don't know what you're thinking, I mean, it's like you went to a halloween party as the guest of a clown. I see what you're trying to do there with the checkers, but what is that side arm, I mean, is she in Logan's Run? Is that a light saber? I feel like you're going to have a squirt gun fight on the beach at night with Carnies"
"oh snap, siamese"
"that's right snap, if you don't want me to sharpen my claws, don't bring me a scratching post"

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Angryboot posted:

Cross posting from the Infinity thread:

Now I'm seriously wondering about painting up a camo space marine just for the hell of it.

I already told you this, but that is bomb rear end camo.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

sassassin posted:

My first models would have been 200% better than they were if washes had existed back then.

Punk kids today have it easy.

Haha yeah washes are a god send. You can get so much easy definition and blending with them! I'm definitely going to be making my own Devlan mud-esque one when i finish my pot of actual devlun mud because I go through it so fast it would be worth buying the stuff to make my own batches!

I'm dissapointed I couldn't get their pupils done though, they look like the five-blind-orks. I heard people use micron pens but I'm completely broke at the moment so all my future orks are gonna have some serious occular problems.

Harlequins I would freaking love to see someone do black/white/orange harlequins. Tie it together with the teal and cream anchoring like he said and they would look amazing!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
How old are you people? I started this poo poo ... 18 years ago? Something like that? And they had washes then. I'm pretty sure washes and inks existed from model railroading and the old historical miniatures days. Testors had washes 26 years ago when my dad got me a model of a Spitfire and we built it together, and I wanted the single-piece canopy and he wanted the old-timey iron-cross bar reinforced canopy.

I didn't use washes when I started because I didn't know that it was allowed and nobody made it clear that it's *the* way to get poo poo accomplished. WD is basically to blame because the Heavy metal guys were spergy psychopaths who preferred to blackline chainmail with a single-hair brush and highlight in 5-6 barely discernible layers (with a different unique layer of GW branded paint for each layer).

I'm blaming society.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

There were washes in the early 90s, I still have a pot of Armor Wash and Flesh Wash from those ancient days. Tastes like childhood.

And I guess I have a lot of harlequin schemes to try. Orange and Black sounds pretty sweet, as much as I hate highlighting/shading black.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
TCM, post some of your models.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Fyrbrand posted:

TCM, post some of your models.

I wasn't saying I'm awesome. I just didn't know there was a time before washes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

How old are you people? I started this poo poo ... 18 years ago? Something like that? And they had washes then. I'm pretty sure washes and inks existed from model railroading and the old historical miniatures days. Testors had washes 26 years ago when my dad got me a model of a Spitfire and we built it together, and I wanted the single-piece canopy and he wanted the old-timey iron-cross bar reinforced canopy.

I didn't use washes when I started because I didn't know that it was allowed and nobody made it clear that it's *the* way to get poo poo accomplished. WD is basically to blame because the Heavy metal guys were spergy psychopaths who preferred to blackline chainmail with a single-hair brush and highlight in 5-6 barely discernible layers (with a different unique layer of GW branded paint for each layer).

I'm blaming society.

The old washes required watering down, and were not super magic one-shot shading like the current citadel ones are. Now, basically that means that yes, you could easily have made Badab Black in 1991 or whatever, but it was an extra step that most people didn't know how to do. Now it's literally open pot, slosh on model, and the stuff looks a million times better than it used to.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I wasn't saying I'm awesome. I just didn't know there was a time before washes.

No it's cool, wasn't insinuating you were bragging or something. But you've been doing the hobby a long time apparently so you probs have cool poo poo to post.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ashcans posted:

There were washes in the early 90s, I still have a pot of Armor Wash and Flesh Wash from those ancient days. Tastes like childhood.

And I guess I have a lot of harlequin schemes to try. Orange and Black sounds pretty sweet, as much as I hate highlighting/shading black.

Armor Wash and Flesh Wash were the greatest things that ever graced a painting table. Only Chestnut Ink comes close.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Only Chestnut Ink comes close.

I have 1 opened and 8 unopened pots of Chestnut Ink left that I bought when GW announced the washes range. That shits my retirement fund.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Why don't you guys just buy normal artists inks and washes? There's hundreds of those. I keep meaning to pick up some Dayler-Rowney white to try checkers on my orks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The Dayler Rowney white is awesome. The problem with painting with inks is that they're really shiny and really need to be in a mixing medium to avoid some of their downsides (some tend to crack on larger surfaces), which really does give you less pigment than you're going to get in regular modeling paints.

• Locked thread