Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
Another kind of railroad, courtesy of EnglishRussia.com

What is this thing? It looks like a building or a boat, not a train.

What it is, is how you solve the problem of how to get barges bringing supplies from downriver up to the top of a dam for a new hydroelectric power plant under construction. The machine is a giant lift that runs on rails and is powered by the dam itself.

Here you can see the tracks and the machine at the top of the rail line, beginning its descent.

Down it comes. Note the two people standing next to it for a sense of scale.

Also, the two large platforms sticking out the top are part of the machine, too. They connect the machine to the power lines running alongside the tracks, like the trolley pole on a tram:

Doesn't even pause, but goes straight in!

Close-up, here you can see the massive gears wheels that propel it along.

Once all the way in, it comes to a stop and waits for the barges to float right on in.

And here they come. No special modifications are needed for the barges. Just straight in, no mess, no fuss.

Up we go! You can just make out the red turbines from the first barge sticking out over the top of the machine.

Big bastard, isn't it.

A close-up of the gears. I would not want to get caught up in those.

And because nothing is ever easy, the whole thing has to cross a road on its way up.

Once it finally gets to the top, the fun doesn't stop there. Obviously, it can't just open the front hatch and let the barges out, it's facing the wrong way. Cue the massive turntable:

Finally, sweet release!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Gorilla Salad posted:

What is this thing? It looks like a building or a boat, not a train.

Doesn't even pause, but goes straight in!

I could love Russia for no other reason than their absolutely insane engineering projects.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Tracked funicular drydock with turntable... that's incredible.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Holy poo poo, that thing belongs in an 'Incredible Engineering Feats' style thread!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Those are generally called inclined planes (that being a caisson type), you find them in quite a few canals on a smaller scale. I think the Hay inclined plane near Ironbridge is one of the earliest, though that uses crades for the carrier, rather than a caisson.

Speaking of caissons, it's nothing to do with railways, but if you want to see a full-on :science: idea for moving boats from one level to another, check out Sealed Caisson Locks. We got a couple of them to work (sort of) in the late 18th century, and nothing's been seen of the idea since, but I guess as soon as the Russians find out about it...

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Again, a boat, but I always though this was cool. Falkirk Wheel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX6kJKjg4y0

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Red Marx posted:

This is the perfect opportunity to post one of my favorite train pictures I've taken. It's not really going to give you an engineering boner, but it does well to represent the great relationship that some places have with rail.

http://imgur.com/pNtBx
Rocky Neck State Park in Connecticut.
Wow. I never actually realized that part of the Eastern Corridor was actually a state park. It always looked so nice and elegant from my view inside the train.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Does anyone happen to have a decent visual breakdown of the evolution of train design from locomotives to the more modern/boxy electric train. I'm about to start work on a project that involves creating 3d models of a BUNCH of trains, and I would love if I could show some decent progression from the classic Locomotive to a more Modern look. The focus is mainly going to be on the mechanical changes from the old style bulky/super mechanized locomotive look to the more sleek and efficient trains of today. I know its a long shot but I'm starting to exhaust my resources(I've got books and flickr images saved like crazy).

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I keep forgetting to upload these.

I took an excursion on the CPR back in 2007, on restored Hudson 2816

Watching it pull into Okotoks was loving incredible. Almost silent.

This fellow was waiting for us to clear the track.

We got out near Lethbridge (we didn't go over the bridge there :( )so they could water and turn around on the wye.

Love this machine.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Back to the trains = spergs discussion, this article in the NYT is amazing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/nyregion/children-with-autism-connecting-via-bus-and-train.html

quote:

The ability of children with autism spectrum disorders to remember details can be astonishing. Lauren Hough, an adviser to the “Subway Sleuths” program, said that when she asked how to get anywhere in the city, some of the participants could tell her not just which train to take, but the exact number of stair steps in each of the stations.

One of the most extreme examples of someone obsessed with trains in New York is Darius McCollum, 46, who has Asperger’s syndrome, a form of autism. Mr. McCollum has been arrested more than two dozen times, mostly for impersonating transit workers and even commandeering a subway train and a bus.

Researchers and educators in the autism world are constantly trying to manage this passion. When trains rumble over the Manhattan Bridge past the rooftop playground in Brooklyn that the League Education and Treatment Center has for its children with disabilities, some students with autism stop playing and must be calmed down because they become so excited at the sight of a train.
The mind boggles.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Saw this today. NOT SURE WHICH THREAD IT SHOULD BE IN OH GOD OH GOD

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Gorilla Salad posted:

Who thought that was the best way to solve that problem?!?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rcman50166 posted:

Who thought that was the best way to solve that problem?!?

A Russian. It's what they do.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Russians will have giant loving robots before us.

Also Amtrak is completely falling apart in Nevada, first truckers start ramming them, then the other day I saw the Amtrak getting a tow from the oldest loving SP engine I've ever seen running on the main tracks, you know, working.

Why a single freight engine was moving the whole Amtrak train, I dunno, but it was lead engine. I guess that's a railroader's roadside service?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Wedesdo posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/nyregion/children-with-autism-connecting-via-bus-and-train.html
The mind boggles.

I never knew that was a common thing, my step-cousin is autistic and loves trains. Every time I talk to him he wants to know what train I took.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

InterceptorV8 posted:

Why a single freight engine was moving the whole Amtrak train, I dunno, but it was lead engine. I guess that's a railroader's roadside service?

Usually if Amtrak has engine issues the GE Genesis can only put out so much power for head end power and traction motors. If you lose a leader, then its pretty much done especially if the others are facing backwards. Easier to just get another leader. Plus freight engines do not need to share power for the coaches so the full amount of horse power is available. Probably an old GP40-2... those things pull like an ox.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Muffinpox posted:

I never knew that was a common thing, my step-cousin is autistic and loves trains. Every time I talk to him he wants to know what train I took.

I think it's the whole 'gigantic complex system designed to run perfectly on time' thing. They probably also blow their loads over old mechanical watches too.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Wedesdo posted:

The mind boggles.

I instantly thought of this:

Autistic Reporter: Train Thankfully Unharmed In Crash That Killed One Man

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

InterceptorV8 posted:

Passenger cars weigh considerably less than freight ... a fully-loaded freight car can weigh either 263,000 or 286,000 lbs (depending on when it was built) whereas an Amtrak Superliner only weighs about 150,000 lbs. And there's only going to be ten or so of them on a given train.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I saw a thing and brought it to you. Discuss.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

B4Ctom1 posted:

I saw a thing and brought it to you. Discuss.

OK, I'll bite.

How does a locomotive engine run for 2 solid years without having to stop for maintenance? Oil changes? Replace broken parts? I know they're built for reliability, but honestly, not a single part needed adjustment/cleaning/replacement while driving around the world 13 times?

Please tell me that, in fact, locomotives can't go that long without maintenance, and that there's gnarly pictures of a large ruined engine over in the "Horrible Mechanical Failures" thread.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Boomerjinks posted:

Saw this today. NOT SURE WHICH THREAD IT SHOULD BE IN OH GOD OH GOD

I live right across the street from that train's final destination (737 Assembly Plant, Renton, WA). It's pretty awesome living next to where 737s are born, but those loving trains, man. One is OK, I actually don't mind a solitary horn blowing. But when there are two of them at the same time, I swear they carry on complex conversations with their horns. At 3am. It's like listening to two giant retarded whales.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Bow TIE Fighter posted:

OK, I'll bite.

How does a locomotive engine run for 2 solid years without having to stop for maintenance? Oil changes? Replace broken parts? I know they're built for reliability, but honestly, not a single part needed adjustment/cleaning/replacement while driving around the world 13 times?

Please tell me that, in fact, locomotives can't go that long without maintenance, and that there's gnarly pictures of a large ruined engine over in the "Horrible Mechanical Failures" thread.

I assume it's just an hour meter. It counts how long the engine has been ticking. When the engine is off, it isn't counting. you'll see hour meters instead of odometers on a lot of heavy equipment.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
17354 hours is about 60% of the hours since May 27, 2008.

9axle
Sep 6, 2009

Bow TIE Fighter posted:

OK, I'll bite.

They don't, they are brought in for maintenance and inspection on a rigid schedule. At my terminal, all the power is inspected and minor repairs done daily, and when major stuff is required, they are sent west to a bigger shop. You don't spend millions on a locomotive and not change the oil or check the water. Some of our yard engines are almost 40 years old, and run well. They get used hard every day, 3 shifts and its rare to see one out-of-service.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

9axle posted:

They don't, they are brought in for maintenance and inspection on a rigid schedule. At my terminal, all the power is inspected and minor repairs done daily, and when major stuff is required, they are sent west to a bigger shop. You don't spend millions on a locomotive and not change the oil or check the water. Some of our yard engines are almost 40 years old, and run well. They get used hard every day, 3 shifts and its rare to see one out-of-service.

Unless you work in a terminal that is the "red headed" step child.. then you get junk power. Seriously, the old SD40-2's are from the 1970's and they are still working in revenue service. Heck even in my terminal it was pretty usual to see 3 SD40s running regular service. The use has been cut down lately because of fuel consumption.

Though for entertainment, we had an engine blow an oil cooling line. That was pretty bad rear end, minus the oil every were. It was a relatively new engine, GE Evolution Series, and it dumped about 60 gallons of oil. Which is the equivalent of loosing a couple of quarts in your engine. Most of the newer road engines contain roughly 450-500 gallons of lubricating oil.

9axle
Sep 6, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is a very cool page. It has huge machines and boobs.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
This is far too :black101: to not share...

http://books.google.com/books?id=xyADAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&lr&pg=RA1-PA37#v=onepage&q&f=true

:swoon: Oh 1950s, you're so ambitiously rubbish.

Google books will be the death(by starvation) of me.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sponge! posted:

This is far too :black101: to not share...

*nuke prime mover*

.... this is a necessity. Defeat NIMBY by putting reactors in EVERYONES yard.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I believe the Russians (shocker) did actually try it to some degree for the Trans-Siberian Railway. Not sure if they ever actually made a working one. If I remember right, it was the reactor out of the Tu-119 after that was cancelled.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 6, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Someone needs to put atomic engines into OpenTTD.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
Some track maintenance photos, cause hey the trains have to run on something!
Cutting out the existing rail on a bridge to place onto a panel with new ties and plates, at 3 in the morning...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rabid Anti-Dentite! fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 6, 2011

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
how do I put more than one picture in a post, why is everything so difficult!

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
dropping in a newly made bridge panel (160 feet long)

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
A ballast regulator off to the right, passed by a west bound on main 1

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
Adding ballast and tamping the newly laid panels

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
If you want to post more than one picture at a time, you have to host it elsewhere -

http://imgur.com/ - you can upload a whole set, then just copy/paste the full picture in between [timg]http://i.imgur.com/ew9r9w3resr.jpg[/timg] tags

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

9axle posted:

At my terminal, all the power is inspected and minor repairs done daily, and when major stuff is required, they are sent west to a bigger shop. You don't spend millions on a locomotive and not change the oil or check the water. Some of our yard engines are almost 40 years old, and run well. They get used hard every day, 3 shifts and its rare to see one out-of-service.

Aaaaaahahahahaha wow. Once a day? Our locos run 24/7 until they break and get dragged in dead or they hit their ~3-week maintenance block and come in for inspection. That is to say, they go mine<->port in a constant loop, stopping every 10-12 hours (as they pass the stations near the ports) to do a crew change but otherwise run literally 24/7 (or close to it) in most cases. New crews will bring in replacement water for the bar fridge onboard and will cook their meals onboard in the ovens, etc. we give them.

Fun fact: a colleague of mine came in to the tech room on site one day laughing because he'd seen a loco come in with a fault. Looked up the fault code, turns out it's the fault that says you haven't had a fault in 28(? or so) days and to check poo poo to make sure it's still working.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That atomic locomotive scares the poo poo out of me. Not because of the technology - I don't mind nuclear power - but because a nasty incident, such as one where the radiator car becomes separated, seems like it could... do bad things to an area. :ohdear:

Nam Taf posted:

Fun fact: a colleague of mine came in to the tech room on site one day laughing because he'd seen a loco come in with a fault. Looked up the fault code, turns out it's the fault that says you haven't had a fault in 28(? or so) days and to check poo poo to make sure it's still working.

So kind of like the "maintenance required" light in my last car that lit up every so many miles? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

some texas redneck posted:

That atomic locomotive scares the poo poo out of me. Not because of the technology - I don't mind nuclear power - but because a nasty incident, such as one where the radiator car becomes separated, seems like it could... do bad things to an area. :ohdear:
The idea of using a liquid reactant bothers me, and pleases me. If the reactor lost containment, you're almost garunteed a non critical arrangement of the fuel, post accident.

however.. it's also liquid, and soaking into your ground. Eep! That's why I like pebble beds. But they have their own issues.

quote:

So kind of like the "maintenance required" light in my last car that lit up every so many miles? :v:

Every 28 days huh? Does it get cranky, want ice cream, and the company of other locomotives for a week too?