Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Here are some good pics:

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/car-photos/Chevrolet/Spark/2012/

I'm a sucker for "off-beat" instrument clusters (remember upthread when I said that I'm a bit of a Honda fanboy), but this one looks like some aftermarket bit from a catalog; and the lack of a hood makes me think that the digital side will wash out in sunlight.

Otherwise, though, it looks like a pretty decent interior for such a cheap car. The little body color flourishes lighten it up on the green car in the JDPower pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, it's kind of ugly. How is it supposed to be better than the Corsa that GM already has?

Here's the Sonic's cluster, if anyone is still looking for it:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah I really can't tolerate that poo poo and this is a guy here who LIKES Honda's dipshit two tier dash :byodood:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

eames posted:

New video of a barely disguised 991 around Stuttgart, the best one I’ve seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFNRrygIzAA

Front spoiler kind of reminds me of the MP12-4C (best visible at the very end of the video).

The wheels seem HUGE on that car.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I dunno, it's kind of ugly. How is it supposed to be better than the Corsa that GM already has?

Here's the Sonic's cluster, if anyone is still looking for it:

looks like something you'd find on a motorbike.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Throatwarbler posted:

They're moving production of the Sonic back to the US from Korea so it will cost them $60/hr labor to build. Since it's a GM subcompact I'm sure that all the money will go into superior vehicle content for higher transaction prices and profit, they definitely won't be just cutting the cost difference out of the interior and end up selling the car for a loss anyway to make up CAFE numbers. :patriot:

I read an NYT article about how it's built in a brand new plant which requires half the workforce, on top of that everyone employed is at $14/hour as per a new contract with the UAW. That's not far off with the average Mexican auto worker wage ($8-10).

The Cruze starts at $17k and GM managed not to screw up the interior, so I'm sure the $14k Sonic won't be that bad. The Aveo had a crappy interior but it was also a much cheaper car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mobby_6kl posted:

It isn't meant to be.

Just like the Cruze isn't better than an Astra

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

dissss posted:

It isn't meant to be.

Just like the Cruze isn't better than an Astra

Then what in the world is it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Then what in the world is it?

A different car aimed at a different set of markets.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

PeterWeller posted:

Here are some good pics:

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/car-photos/Chevrolet/Spark/2012/

but this one looks like some aftermarket bit from a catalog;

It looks like a ten-year-old Aiwa car stereo headunit.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah I really can't tolerate that poo poo and this is a guy here who LIKES Honda's dipshit two tier dash :byodood:

Yeah, I like the dash in the Civic, and I love the instruments in the CR-Z, but the Spark's cluster looks cheap and awful.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Linedance posted:

looks like something you'd find on a motorbike.

Yup.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Pretty sure that is what GM was going for when they designed the Sparks interior. If I wasn't such a big guy I would be looking at the turbo hatchback.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 10, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hey why does this post belong in this thread

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hey why does this post belong in this thread

:science: FUTUREliner.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I was going to say that I had no problem with the Spark gauge cluster, and then I realized I'd googled the Sonic gauge cluster instead. It's the same basic idea, but somehow looks less cheap, and it has the tach front and center with an LED readout of the speed rather than the other way around.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
pickuptrucks.com has put up a pretty comprehensive test of the HD trucks from the Detroit 3.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2011/08/2011-heavy-duty-hurt-locker-introduction.html

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Looks like Chevy pretty much confirmed the 2 liter diesel with like 260lbft of torque for the Cruze; supposedly it'll get 50mpg on the highway, as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/17/chevrolet-targeting-50-mpg-with-diesel-powered-cruze/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Looks like Chevy pretty much confirmed the 2 liter diesel with like 260lbft of torque for the Cruze; supposedly it'll get 50mpg on the highway, as well.

Yeah its probably a good choice for lots of highway mileage, but if you do more urban its actually thirstier than the ITI petrol.

Will be interesting to see if they do the diesel with a manual - its auto only in Oceania and its really not a good match to the engine.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Not really a new car, but not threadworthy either.

If DIY Autotune gets to 4500 likes we get 25% off coupons! Already at 2400ish

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIYAutoTunecom/57837395932

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/17/chevrolet-targeting-50-mpg-with-diesel-powered-cruze/

Why bother with so much torque? The car isn't terribly heavy. With specs like that it will need a beefier trans and driveline than with 180-200lb ft.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Are you saying you think a car shouldn't be so powerful? :stare:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

angryhampster posted:

Why bother with so much torque? The car isn't terribly heavy. With specs like that it will need a beefier trans and driveline than with 180-200lb ft.

Because thats how much torque diesels make - Its only a little more than an equivalent VW or Ford model.

It won't be quick though, in most cases the petrol turbo will do better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Lower rpms turning lower gear ratios (since the torque can be multiplied less) means less fuel consumed, right?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

Lower rpms turning lower gear ratios (since the torque can be multiplied less) means less fuel consumed, right?

Bingo.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Because thats how much torque diesels make - Its only a little more than an equivalent VW or Ford model.

It won't be quick though, in most cases the petrol turbo will do better.

The Cruze LTZ isn't quick either. It's not dangerously slow, but it's slow enough that you'd rather have the stick from the Eco just for the extra control and confidence.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Ahhh fair enough.

Lowclock...I have nothing against a car making good power. I was just trying to understand the point of it when it's a car specifically made for economy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

angryhampster posted:

Lowclock...I have nothing against a car making good power. I was just trying to understand the point of it when it's a car specifically made for economy.

They've definitely chosen to position themselves as a more powerful diesel option. Fuel economy is worst in the class, actually worse than the Mondeo from the class above.

Edit: it is of course the slushbox that kills it - GM really needs a DSG to compete

dissss fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 18, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
It'll be interesting to see how many they sell, diesel is the same price as premium gas, if you can save money on fuel and get better city mpg it wont be compelling. I see a few Jetta tdi's around though so there must be some appeal. They are vastly outnumbered by the prius of course.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The TDI mix on the Jetta is like 40% or some poo poo these days, same with the Golf. There's definitely a market out there.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

dissss posted:

They've definitely chosen to position themselves as a more powerful diesel option. Fuel economy is worst in the class, actually worse than the Mondeo from the class above.

Since the only passenger diesels over here are from VW, GM has a good opportunity to market the diesel Cruze as a performance trim and the 2.0L TD definitely seems up to the task. Gas isn't cheap anymore but true economy cars still don't sell in big numbers, so a big diesel engine that gets only marginally better fuel economy is a good balance between "premium small car" and "why you'd want a small car in the first place".

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
That would be idiotic, why would the more eocnomical engine option get the performance designation? If I wanted my performance engine to rev to 5000RPM, I'd get something with an early SBC. VW diesel owners doon't pay the premium over the gasoline fuelled counterpart because someone makes a chip to make it faster.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I hate the new 911 :(

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Porsche-911-2011-the-leaked-images-of-the-991/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Why?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Is it actually any different from the old one?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The tail-lights are thinner.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Boiled Water posted:

They probably did the old "slightly change every body panel just enough to drive future collectors mother loving insane" trick

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Boiled Water posted:

The car itself and the wheelbase are both noticeably longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Q_res posted:

The car itself and the wheelbase are both noticeably longer.

They own a copy machine apparently, like Audi has.