Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

YAY! I woke up to a p0337 this morning, looks like I get to buy a crankshaft position sensor. It's been doing some weird things at low idle so at least I finally get to know what it is via the check engine light finally kicking on and reading the code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
What are you using for a code reader?

I have both pre-odbII, pre-04 odbII, and newer. I'd like to get something that'll work with all of the odbII beasts for like $50 or less.

..and a unicorn.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELM3...=item4aa8b8b220

aaaand one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xplore-iX104-Tablet-PC-/290586188177?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item43a8495991

If you have a laptop, you can go with the top one for only $27 shipped.

edit: Looks like they sell the cable and software together from China now. When I got my stuff I bought them seperately since they didn't do packages a couple years ago.

keykey fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 19, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

edit: Looks like they sell the cable and software together from China now. When I got my stuff I bought them seperately since they didn't do packages a couple years ago.

Welp, there goes another $30. :dance:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

Welp, there goes another $30. :dance:

You will probably need some sort of adapter for the unicorn though.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You will probably need some sort of adapter for the unicorn though.

I think I can borrow a buddy's ISAT Unicorn adaptor.

Lord knows the '91 needs some magical pixie dust to tell me what the hell is going on with it. Still same bizarre issues. Starts to misfire after it's been warmed up and driven for awhile. No codes. LH 2.4.x system, all tolerances look good with different meters; tried changing out parts - hell, even tried shotgunning parts at it for a bit. Still nowhere. :(

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I thought modern unicorns came with bluetooth 8.0 but were backwards compatible with 2.0. :confused:

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Viggen posted:

Like this 95?*

* Not entirely sure if that's a manual. No VIN, not gonna ask. I'll take sedans and hatches, don't need to get into wagons.

That's an Arc, and as far away as you could possibly get from me in the lower 48 states, unfortunately. Whats more is that I am starting school next year, and I don't want to spend all of my money on a car. Unless someone or something destroys my car completely, I will probably just run it until it is impossible for the car to take an inspection sticker.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/ctd/2497215241.html
180k is a little too much I fear...

localized fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 19, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

a 180k WADON. Eh.. Price seems a little steep, considering there's no mention of maint. Probably does not come with a unicorn adapter. (When I mentioned a code reader, I was intending for a standalone that'll allow you to just see/clear basic codes, but this is much better than that for a decent price).

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Not just any WADON, an AREO WADON. There is also http://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/2450259126.html <--that for about the same price with less mileage. I only paid $400 for my car so all of these seem really expensive...

also: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Saab...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

localized fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 19, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

localized posted:

Not just any WADON, an AREO WADON. There is also http://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/2450259126.html <--that for about the same price with less mileage. I only paid $400 for my car so all of these seem really expensive...

also: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Saab...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

That first one is probably salvage: "Exterior couple small dings on hood from deer"

"I have all service records plus receipts for the referbed wheels plus performance mods I have done to the vehicle" doesn't sit quite right with me, either. Either the guy knows the car's toast by now, or it's right on the verge of doing so.

Pretty high miles on that 07, but the prices are also very, very regional, I've found.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

I think I can borrow a buddy's ISAT Unicorn adaptor.

Lord knows the '91 needs some magical pixie dust to tell me what the hell is going on with it. Still same bizarre issues. Starts to misfire after it's been warmed up and driven for awhile. No codes. LH 2.4.x system, all tolerances look good with different meters; tried changing out parts - hell, even tried shotgunning parts at it for a bit. Still nowhere. :(

Is it starting to act up when it heats up temperature wise, or when it goes into closed loop?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Is it starting to act up when it heats up temperature wise, or when it goes into closed loop?

Temp. But then only acts up when it drops back to an idle state. If you give it a little gas, it goes back to normal. This, combined with the clutch slave making GBS threads out makes it a bit less fun to drive than say, oh.. a wheelbarrow.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

Temp. But then only acts up when it drops back to an idle state. If you give it a little gas, it goes back to normal. This, combined with the clutch slave making GBS threads out makes it a bit less fun to drive than say, oh.. a wheelbarrow.

IAC valve?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

localized posted:

If only it were an AREO SPEED WADON

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

Exterior couple small dings on hood from deer

This translates in my mind to,"MOTHERFUCKIN' DEER WRECKED MY poo poo, BUT I PUT A NEW HOOD ON IT SO IT'S COOL!"

Needless to say, I wouldn't even bother with it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Clayton Bigsby posted:

IAC valve?

It's a 91. LH 2.4.x AIC was already checked, rechecked, and independently checked. Cleaned anyhow.

keykey posted:

Needless to say, I wouldn't even bother with it.

For some reason I decided to pass on this one, myself.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Viggen posted:

My friend's C900 was acting like this during the spring. We just messed with the throttle cable and the screw that holds the throttle plate open until it stopped dying. Probably a completely different problem than the one you are having though, as it seemed to happen regardless of temperature or anything else that we could fathom that morning.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Looks like I'm driving my wifes car until friday since I only work 3 miles from home. According to alldata, it's a 20 minute job. Oh, except the program thinks the CPS in the 3.0l is in the exact same loving place as it is on the 2.3l and you do the exact same thing to replace it. Nevermind the heatshield is loving riveted on and the instructions are to simply remove the heat shield. So, yeah, looks like I have to rack it and get creative at the dealership. I live sort of the edge of town/country so I was working on it a little last night and the combination of misinformation, tons of bugs flying around my light hitting me in the face every 2 seconds and having most but not all of the tools culminated in a very audible,"gently caress this poo poo!" Last night around 10:00 p.m.

keykey fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 20, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

localized posted:

My friend's C900 was acting like this during the spring.

I think I've tried everything up-to-but-excepting sacrificing the heart of a Volvo driving ikea owner upon the beast. I've even gotten to the point of asking a 30-year-swedemobile-vet-who-remembers-how-bad-lh-sucks-but-at-least-its-not-2.2 for help; He's flummoxed as well. So, I don't feel quite so bad about being stuck.

keykey posted:

Oh, except the program thinks the CPS in the 3.0l is in the exact same loving place as it is on the 2.3l and you do the exact same thing to replace it. Nevermind the heatshield is loving riveted on and the instructions are to simply remove the heat shield.

I was going to try to look this up for you but it seems I can't get ActiveCGM viewer working on this drat XP install since someone put IE8 on it before SP3 so it refuses to use the handler. Maybe later today I'll try again.. but the old WIS text wasn't any better.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Ok, so.. just for shits and giggles I chose a 2K 9-5 for you since you said 3.0l.

Would that be the B308E through -0399999, the B308E ODBII vin through -0399999, or the V6 LEV 308E VIN 0400000+?

Or, is it a different year? :q:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

Would that be the B308E through -0399999, the B308E ODBII vin through -0399999, or the V6 LEV 308E VIN 0400000+?

Or, is it a different year? :q:

HAHA! :nyd: Saab you so craaaaazy! :nyd: I'll have to check the VIN at lunch. That list is a more comprehensive breakdown rather than somedata being like,"Here's your poo poo, good luck with that... BWAHAHAHA, we gave him the wrong schematic intentionally and he fell for it!"

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2504005003.html

Reposted this. Figured it would fare better here, than the for sale thread.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

For shits and giggles, I'm gonna say it's the B308E ODBII vin through -0399999. It's a 99 9-5 wagon.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

For shits and giggles, I'm gonna say it's the B308E ODBII vin through -0399999. It's a 99 9-5 wagon.

ODBII? Can do for 99 w/o VIN. Now that I managed to get the pictures working (needed to drop to sp2, back to IE6, install shockwave 8, 11, ActiveCGM, ISOViewer, and ActiveCGM again)..

The final picture just instructs the same as the first to reinstall the cover; figured you didn't need that.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Thanks man, that makes a ton more sense with what engine I'm working with. Alldatas approach was "Change it all from the top bro, it'll work out." :smug:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

Thanks man, that makes a ton more sense with what engine I'm working with. Alldatas approach was "Change it all from the top bro, it'll work out." :smug:

:supaburn: Just make sure to avoid that loving exhaust pipe at all costs!!

For anyone else, I (legally) have WIS 3.0 for 1998-2007 9-3, and 9-5. That's it. No more WebWis, AllData, or warranty info. I'd be happy to look up anything in WIS for ya, though.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Viggen posted:

ODBII? Can do for 99 w/o VIN. Now that I managed to get the pictures working (needed to drop to sp2, back to IE6, install shockwave 8, 11, ActiveCGM, ISOViewer, and ActiveCGM again)..

For future reference, WIS 3 runs in windows 7's XP mode (which is SP3) without any effort.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

astropika posted:

For future reference, WIS 3 runs in windows 7's XP mode (which is SP3) without any effort.

Well, that's good to know - I have not tried, but I was entirely unable to get the ActiveCGM component working properly (without crashing like hell). Ended up getting the final release from Corel's broken FTP server, and it magically works after reloading the 32 bit IE.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

HK Mailpost posted:

2011-07-22 20:12:00 深圳市车公庙中心营业部 收寄
20:24:00 深圳市车公庙中心营业部 离开处理中心,发往深圳市
2011-07-23 07:58:37 深圳市 到达处理中心,来自深圳市车公庙中心营业部
2011-07-23 09:17:01 深圳市 离开处理中心,发往USLAXF

Well, my ELM 327 is on it's way. Hopefully will be here within the next week or so.

Replaced my going-out-and-causing-a-misfire IDM, and now I'm throwing a MIL (only) whenever I fill up with Texaco gas in the 2K (91, of course). Filled it up with Shell the last time, and no problems. Went back to the usual Texaco, and BAM, there's my light.

It always loved that before. :argh:

Oh well, since the T7 update, it doesn't bitch so much about others. Wonder what they did to their gas. :bang:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 26, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Got my ELM327 (CLONE). None of the software but Scantool 2.13 wanted to run on it. P1312. Misfire. Great, the IDM is dying.

Ordered a new IDM. Put it in.

Got my MPG back, and it doesn't 'sometimes stutter' when boosting anymore. Goddamn I love driving that car again.

Also this:

Going to sand and paint the blade arms, and likely the exhaust tip if it looks good (non-glossy black from the factory) with a can of BBQ black heat safe rustoeum. No clue why my hand looks like I have jaundice and leprosy in that one shot.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 7, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

All I can say is: ScanTool.Net are a bunch of fucks. If you have a clone, you can still run the V113 for Win/DOS without any changes.

I've learned more about the ELM327 chipset in the last 4 days than I think I've learned anything - in years. Reprogrammed the response codes on mine, and now I can use ODBWiz/TouchScan, PCMSCAN/ScanXL if I need to. :dance:

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Viggen posted:

I've learned more about the ELM327 chipset in the last 4 days than I think I've learned anything - in years. Reprogrammed the response codes on mine, and now I can use ODBWiz/TouchScan, PCMSCAN/ScanXL if I need to. :dance:

Care to share how you did it? I have an ELM327 clone and all it will run is the scantool program (from the software that came on the disc at least).

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Well, now that that's done, the 'I don't remember that many dings and scrapes' sagging bumper cover looks even worse. :ohdear:

localized posted:

Care to share how you did it? I have an ELM327 clone and all it will run is the scantool program (from the software that came on the disc at least).

Only true ELM 327/328 can set the AT@1 response; clones can not. However, you are allowed to program the AT@2 response of them once by issuing an AT@3 command with ELM 1.3+ firmware.

The bitter irony is this is due directly to ScanTool.Net - who went out of their way to break their own Open Source software for clones; and they, themselves, forced everyone to reprogram their stuff to work with their very own rebranded clone.

Depending on your own clone, you may need to change some settings from mine.

First, I updated the FDTI drivers; the ones that came on my CD didn't work very well - and none of the bundled software worked at all.

When all there is cool, open the device in HyperTerminal or some other modem-compatible program - I set mine up as COM8, 38400 8n1 is hard coded for mine, no hardware flow (or it won't respond).

Make sure you have it set to add automatic returns at the end of a response for your terminal, or your screen's gonna get ugly.

Here's what I did - anything prepended by > is what I typed to it - < is what it responded - if it doesn't respond, keep sending it ATI/ATZ until the bastard does - but only AFTER you know you have the right settings:

code:
>ATZ
<ELM327 v1.4

>ATI
<ELM327 v1.4

>AT@1
<OBDII to RS232 Interpreter

>AT@2
<?
(A ? response means it's not been programmed, yet)

>AT@3 SCANTOOL.NET
<OK

>AT@1
<OBDII to RS232 Interpreter

>AT@2
<SCANTOOL.NET
I've tested it with ScanTool.Net 1.21 (The final), TouchScan trial, and PCMScan trial, and they now all work perfectly fine.

Footnote: This is completely legit, but please don't post this everywhere - it'd really suck if a ton of clones came out which pre-identified themselves. I'm quite disappointed in the sales of mine - they gave me a bootleg copy of VAG-COM that doesn't even work with this device, and entirely ignored my request for a copy of a working ScanTool.

Edit: Wow. 8N1 and a FDDI typo for FDTI in the same post. Feel like I'm back in the mid-90s.

Edit2: There's a nice 'how to setup HyperTerminal' embedded in this page, if you have it, and need it.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 8, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Well, I finally have the 9000 figured out.

Had it apart before but being unfamiliar with the B234, wasn't sure what was, and what was NOT; I finally got to get a drat good look..

Upon this final inspection I discovered that my idler tensioner had essentially disintegrated and is barely hanging, with the spring just dangling there. That explains the system compensating for the 'bumps' and retarding the engine to the point of misfiring. The next big bump may send the Valve family to meet mean Mister Piston. :commissar:

So, after buying all of this poo poo to fix it up, I'm parting the fucker out. Why not just repair that since I'm already there, you ask?

• It's a 1991 w/ 214k
  • Phantom electrical issues affecting radio and ACC even when disconnected.
  • IDM is officially 100% dead now
  • Master clutch cyl is shot.
  • Dead Battery (discharged too far, to often)
  • TB has been bypassed; tried to goop a gasket up for it, leaks too hard, so would not be able to use in winter
  • A/C is R12, leaky, and dead.
  • Exterior is pretty weathered after 20 years
  • Interior just completely thrashed

Sick of it, now. gently caress off, 9K.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Viggen posted:

Sick of it, now. gently caress off, 9K.
You know what must be done.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

You know what must be done.

It was a 9KT.. not an Aero, though. Technically, at the moment, it still is. :q:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Viggen posted:

It was a 9KT.. not an Aero, though. Technically, at the moment, it still is. :q:
What I meant was go buy a last-of-the-line Aero.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

What I meant was go buy a last-of-the-line Aero.

I don't really like the style of the 2011. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Viggen posted:

I don't really like the style of the 2011. :haw:

:golfclap:
(but seriously, do it.)

And just to update everyone, I hate my 9-5 and as soon as I can afford to a new car(should be next june - july) I'm getting rid of this thing. Every time I fix one problem, there's a new one. I pray every day that someone totals it in my drive way or at work. But I still love it. It's like the worst girlfriend that I lvoe for some stupid reason.