Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Evil Granny posted:

It's that strange DVI/Firewire/USB2/DC power tentacled beast.

An ADC connector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Pretty sure it's just dual link DVI.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

japtor posted:

Pretty sure it's just dual link DVI.

Yeah, you're right. It's just that combo dual link DVI cable. In that case, I'd imagine a simple DVI switch would work well enough?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

I know everyone has kinda already touted the "Air" horn since, well, it's the new sparkling thing to want, but out of curiosity: how long would you likely keep it, and does portability come into effect at all?

If you do plan on keeping it awhile, and portability isn't a concern, I would almost say go with the refurb 15" Sandy Bridge MBP. The quad-core i7 will likely last a decent-bit longer performance wise into the future than the i5 or i7 available for the 13" Air, and while it's not the greatest, the performance of the discrete GPU (Radeon 6490M) in the entry-level 15" MBP is still quite a bit ahead of the HD3000.

Plus, you can always either swap out the existing HDD for an SSD, or even remove the optical drive and put an SSD in for a SSD+ HDD combo. Also throw in the ability to double the RAM to 8 GB (versus being fixed at 4 GB with the Air), and if you do plan on having it for any lengthy period of time, personally that's what I'd go with.

If however it's mostly just for a year or two, yeah, go with the Air.
Just catching up with this since I wanted to reply but didn't want to type it all out on my phone. If I cared about specs that much or price-performance optimization, I generally wouldn't be buying a Mac. I had a 15.4" i7 MBP before the new Air, so I know what I gave up. To me, the portability is way more useful than the extra horsepower. I have a quad-core iMac for the heavy lifting. The Air is never going to be in the sweetspot of the price/performance ratio, but that's because you're paying for subjective qualities like portability.

That said, this is my 4th Apple laptop since I switched to Macs 5 years ago, and my 6th Mac in total. I average more than one machine purchase a year, if that answers your question on how long I keep my machines. Although, the previous machines never quite fit their roles as well as I would have liked and I think I've finally found a balance between my 27" iMac, MacBook Air, and iPhone 4.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just catching up with this since I wanted to reply but didn't want to type it all out on my phone. If I cared about specs that much or price-performance optimization, I generally wouldn't be buying a Mac. I had a 15.4" i7 MBP before the new Air, so I know what I gave up. To me, the portability is way more useful than the extra horsepower. I have a quad-core iMac for the heavy lifting. The Air is never going to be in the sweetspot of the price/performance ratio, but that's because you're paying for subjective qualities like portability.

That said, this is my 4th Apple laptop since I switched to Macs 5 years ago, and my 6th Mac in total. I average more than one machine purchase a year, if that answers your question on how long I keep my machines. Although, the previous machines never quite fit their roles as well as I would have liked and I think I've finally found a balance between my 27" iMac, MacBook Air, and iPhone 4.
Given your turn-around time on new Macs though, I could see how the Air would be an ideal fit, plus you do have the iMac for heavier usage.

Chemmy though seemed to alude to keeping machines for awhile, so if it's 2-3 years+, wouldn't the 15" quad i7 MBP be better, especially with the limited (but greater than the Air) options for expandability? Plus he mentioned having an iPad for light traveling usage.

Edit - Oh, and I think he mentioned whatever system he buys will be his primary machine outside of work.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 11, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I am loving this C2D 11" so far, even if it's only 2GB/64GB. I'm sure an i5 would be perfect, and 4GB would handle anything I throw at it.

My poor 13" i5 MBP has only been powered up to get my Rackspace password off it. I don't care what anyone else says, the keyboards are different. They almost need to add some weight to this little guy because it's easy to move around just typing on it.

The biggest difference is the screen isn't quite as big and bright. The color is a little weird. The sad part is I will probably end up letting one of these guys go, or both and get a 13" Air. Who knows.

LowJack
Jun 27, 2003

Not sure if anyone noticed this, but :foxnews: is reporting Apple has surpassed Exxon Mobil to be the most valuable company in the United States.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

movax posted:

I have the high-res 15" matte, I think it's criminal to get the 15" at its stock resolution. If you have a fruit stand nearby, ask them to show you the high-res side-by-side with the regular screen so you can make the best decision.

For Chemmy (and anyone else who's been considering it): 2011 15" MBPs with the upgraded screen appeared today in the Apple Store's Refurb list at a cost of $1,649.00. I'd have directly linked it but not sure if that's allowed.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
If anyone is looking for 2 x 2gb sticks of ram, I have two sets for sale, one from a 2011 iMac, and the other from a 2010 MacBook Pro. Either set will work in an iMac to take it up to 8gb.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430530

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

I'd have directly linked it but not sure if that's allowed.
Why wouldn't it be? :psyduck:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Just realized that for my Optibay blurb, should add in there "won't void warranty, will result in curious looks if you take your MBP back to the Apple Store with Optibay installed."

Bob Morales posted:

I am loving this C2D 11" so far, even if it's only 2GB/64GB. I'm sure an i5 would be perfect, and 4GB would handle anything I throw at it.

My poor 13" i5 MBP has only been powered up to get my Rackspace password off it. I don't care what anyone else says, the keyboards are different. They almost need to add some weight to this little guy because it's easy to move around just typing on it.

The biggest difference is the screen isn't quite as big and bright. The color is a little weird. The sad part is I will probably end up letting one of these guys go, or both and get a 13" Air. Who knows.

You're liking the C2D 11" over an i5 MBP eh? Portability must be a big factor for you.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

movax posted:

You're liking the C2D 11" over an i5 MBP eh? Portability must be a big factor for you.

I'm eyeing those myself. If all you need it for is on-the-go basic productivity and have a more powerful machine at home already, why the hell not?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Oh in the past I've seen where people were concerned about linking to SA Mart pages where they were selling stuff, so wasn't sure if it was against rules or such. Good to know for the future that it's ok!

Oh hey, one question for you (and anyone else), since I didn't see it really get answered earlier: is the i7 upgrade in the 13" MacBook Pro worth it over the i5?

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 11, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Space Racist posted:

I'm eyeing those myself. If all you need it for is on-the-go basic productivity and have a more powerful machine at home already, why the hell not?

I guess I just have a mental block against paying a bunch for "older" generation tech, that's all. Don't the i5 MBAs deliver better battery life as well? I don't recall the Anand graphs off-hand. How much is a 11" C2D Air vs. the base $999 i5 Air?

e: I missed the question in your post, check Anand for the exact numerical differences, but I think his verdict was "yes". It's late so I'm just going off memory here, might be incorrect on that.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

movax posted:

I guess I just have a mental block against paying a bunch for "older" generation tech, that's all. Don't the i5 MBAs deliver better battery life as well? I don't recall the Anand graphs off-hand. How much is a 11" C2D Air vs. the base $999 i5 Air?

The base model 11.6" 2010 refurb goes for $749. Considering I was originally only budgeting ~$500 for a Lenovo X120e, $749 is already a bit of a stretch, but doable. $999, not as much, unless I'd like to go another semester sans laptop and pick one up this spring.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

I was ready to pull the trigger on a MBA 13", until I realized that I'd want to play Civilization 5 at some point in the next 4 years... :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Oh in the past I've seen where people were concerned about linking to SA Mart pages where they were selling stuff, so wasn't sure if it was against rules or such. Good to know for the future that it's ok!

Oh hey, one question for you (and anyone else), since I didn't see it really get answered earlier: is the i7 upgrade in the 13" MacBook Pro worth it over the i5?
I figure it's debatable if you need as much CPU as possible. More cache along with ~17% faster base and turbo clock (2.9 vs 3.4ghz), and 1.3 vs 1.2ghz GPU clock according to Intel. There's also some other CPU features but I'm not sure how many matter for the Mac (right now at least) except AES, which is used to accelerate FileVault drive encryption if you plan to use that.

Intel's site comparing the two: http://ark.intel.com/compare/52231,52224
I'd probably just look out for the i7 on the refurb site if I decided to get it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

SourKraut posted:

For Chemmy (and anyone else who's been considering it): 2011 15" MBPs with the upgraded screen appeared today in the Apple Store's Refurb list at a cost of $1,649.00. I'd have directly linked it but not sure if that's allowed.

They're all antiglare and I'd really prefer the glossy. Thanks though.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Crackpipe posted:

I was ready to pull the trigger on a MBA 13", until I realized that I'd want to play Civilization 5 at some point in the next 4 years... :(

Don't worry the Vi Dock is coming for external GPU goodness.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

japtor posted:

I figure it's debatable if you need as much CPU as possible. More cache along with ~17% faster base and turbo clock (2.9 vs 3.4ghz), and 1.3 vs 1.2ghz GPU clock according to Intel. There's also some other CPU features but I'm not sure how many matter for the Mac (right now at least) except AES, which is used to accelerate FileVault drive encryption if you plan to use that.

Intel's site comparing the two: http://ark.intel.com/compare/52231,52224
I'd probably just look out for the i7 on the refurb site if I decided to get it.

Thanks for the link! That's a nice featureset comparison.

Yeah, I had picked up a refurb 13" MBP, but haven't opened the box yet because I've seen the i7 13" come up a few times for about $250 more, so debating as to whether return the i5 and get the i7 instead.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

Don't worry the Vi Dock is coming for external GPU goodness.

I thought you were full of poo poo for a moment there. But wow... that's amazing. And cheap.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

SourKraut posted:

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of the Airs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

qbert posted:

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of the Airs.

Yeah, from Anand and others' reviews of the Airs, if I were getting a MBA I'd definitely go for the i7 given the performance increase.

But it's been really difficult to track down a decent comparison between the i5 and i7 in the 13" MBP. Anand's review last March of the 13" and 15" MBPs used a i7-equipped MBP but no i5. :(

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Why not just get the i7 13" MBA? It's only $100 more and is probably quicker because of the SSD.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Why not just get the i7 13" MBA? It's only $100 more and is probably quicker because of the SSD.
MBPs are quad-cores. That's important and more critical than an SSD to some people.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Should I get a iMac and a 13" Macbook Air or a 15" MBP and an Apple Thunderbolt Display?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

MBPs are quad-cores. That's important and more critical than an SSD to some people.

The 13" MBPs only come in dual core variants.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Plus you get a better screen too. Seems like the logical choice.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sinestro posted:

Should I get a iMac and a 13" Macbook Air or a 15" MBP and an Apple Thunderbolt Display?

I love my 27" iMac and iPad setup. That said I'd avoid the TB display because it's not really a good value. You can get a refurbished 27" iMac which has the same display for $1269, just a little more than the cost of just the display.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27?mco=MjEwNzM3NDE

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 11, 2011

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Maybe this is a redundant question too, but isn't upgrading the MBP to an SSD actually a good deal, compared to some of the other upgrades? It seems like getting an aftermarket SSD of the same size is $250 and Apple charges $100. Is there something about this I'm misunderstanding before I pull the trigger on an order tomorrow?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You'll still save some cash if you buy the MBP from Amazon (no tax) and get the SSD from elsewhere. You can get the Crucial M4 128gig SSD for $230. As a bonus you get that extra hard disk that you can throw in an enclosure. When I think about it though I'd probably just get it from Apple, it's nice having Applecare covering everything.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

You'll still save some cash if you buy the MBP from Amazon (no tax) and get the SSD from elsewhere. You can get the Crucial M4 128gig SSD for $230. As a bonus you get that extra hard disk that you can throw in an enclosure. When I think about it though I'd probably just get it from Apple, it's nice having Applecare covering everything.

I'd get the Apple education discount and I want some other upgrades like the hi-res anti-glare so I think I need to get it from Apple, unless I'm mistaken and can get a model with the specifications I want on Amazon. Is the Crucial M4 better than what Apple would give me? Because for less than $230 I could get the a normal laptop harddrive on Newegg and an enclosure. And can you not buy Applecare if you buy through Amazon?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sinestro posted:

I'd probably go iMac and Air for the flexibility (like leaving the iMac on as a server) and portability of the Air...but there's arguments for either route really. If you do a lot of computing on the road and need the extra power/features, or simply need everything with you, then go with the MBP I guess.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Maybe this is a redundant question too, but isn't upgrading the MBP to an SSD actually a good deal, compared to some of the other upgrades? It seems like getting an aftermarket SSD of the same size is $250 and Apple charges $100. Is there something about this I'm misunderstanding before I pull the trigger on an order tomorrow?
It varies depending on the cost of the upgrade. I'm guessing you're looking into a 128GB one, so yeah it's definitely a good deal at $100. Meanwhile on the Mac mini and iMac I think the only option is a 256GB one at $600 or so.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

I'd get the Apple education discount and I want some other upgrades like the hi-res anti-glare so I think I need to get it from Apple, unless I'm mistaken and can get a model with the specifications I want on Amazon. Is the Crucial M4 better than what Apple would give me? Because for less than $230 I could get the a normal laptop harddrive on Newegg and an enclosure. And can you not buy Applecare if you buy through Amazon?
M4 is better and worse. It'd likely be faster at most stuff, but supposedly it kind of sucks without TRIM. You can buy AppleCare from wherever (assuming it's legit :v:), but he's saying that it won't cover a third party SSD.

For upgraded systems, look into B&H. I don't know if they have the MBP config you want, but when I was shopping for Mac minis a few days ago I noticed that they had the dual i7 and various drive configurations which are all BTO options.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

japtor posted:

I'd probably go iMac and Air for the flexibility (like leaving the iMac on as a server) and portability of the Air...but there's arguments for either route really. If you do a lot of computing on the road and need the extra power/features, or simply need everything with you, then go with the MBP I guess.

It varies depending on the cost of the upgrade. I'm guessing you're looking into a 128GB one, so yeah it's definitely a good deal at $100. Meanwhile on the Mac mini and iMac I think the only option is a 256GB one at $600 or so.

M4 is better and worse. It'd likely be faster at most stuff, but supposedly it kind of sucks without TRIM. You can buy AppleCare from wherever (assuming it's legit :v:), but he's saying that it won't cover a third party SSD.

For upgraded systems, look into B&H. I don't know if they have the MBP config you want, but when I was shopping for Mac minis a few days ago I noticed that they had the dual i7 and various drive configurations which are all BTO options.

Yeah, no luck with B&H, thanks though. And hopefully a final pedantic question: does anyone know if going anti-glare lowers resell value/interest significantly? I'd probably resell this at some point, and while I want anti-glare, I don't want it so much as to be stuck with a machine I couldn't easily resell just because it isn't all Apple pretty as glossy sort of is.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

I'd like to upgrade it to 8 GB of RAM (already have the RAM as well), which also boosts up the HD3000 GPU to 512MB shared.

My plan was to initially swap out the default HDD for either the 500 GB Scorpio Black or the Hitachi Travelstar 500 GB 7200 RPM, then later this year put an optibay in with an SSD as the OS/application drive.

With regards to the screen, it's my understanding that while the 13" MBP's resolution is lower, the quality of the screen itself is a good bit superior to the MacBook Airs'.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wouldn't worry about resell value, just get the configuration you want right now that will make you happy. Used Macs are always in great demand and you won't have trouble selling it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You might even get people willing to pay a premium for the matte display since most people (probably) have glossy.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
As much as I like the glossy vibrancy seeing myself in the reflection gives me a migraine. The new MBAs don't reflect so much, nor does my 2007 Macbook. Am I just catching them at an area of odd lighting in the Apple store or are the 2011 MBPs really just -that- glossy when compared to basically everything else?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
They are that glossy. iMacs, Cinema/Thunderbolt Displays, iPads, and iPhones are too. It's the magic of glass without any anti reflective coat. MBPs might be worse off in stores with the overhead lights and angle you view them at...but still they're that glossy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Okay, I guess I'm not out of questions.

I've tried to google this extensively and it sounds like it isn't doable, but can Windows be boot camped onto an external drive? Most results on this question seem dated, and some claim reFit would detect and boot a Windows install on an external drive. I just don't want to take up 30GB of a 128SSD with Windows.