Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Its neither.
This along with a book I loved read around the same period have been frustrating me to no end in trying to find them. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Merope posted:

Its neither.
This along with a book I loved read around the same period have been frustrating me to no end in trying to find them. :cry:

Your description of the ending makes me think it could be Quien Sabe? a.k.a: A Bullet for the General.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Unfortunately it's not it either.

Thoreau Like A Girl
Nov 20, 2006

late 80s/early 90s? movie. at some point in the movie someone says how if you're making a silly face and get slapped on the back, the face will stick. later on in the movie 2 kids are making faces at a dog with a surgery cone thing around its neck and the owner slaps them on the back and the faces stick.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Thoreau Like A Girl posted:

late 80s/early 90s? movie. at some point in the movie someone says how if you're making a silly face and get slapped on the back, the face will stick. later on in the movie 2 kids are making faces at a dog with a surgery cone thing around its neck and the owner slaps them on the back and the faces stick.

One Crazy Summer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091680/

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007
OK this is a sci-fi movie from the early nineties(?). All I can remember is that people could wear head gear and it would record what they're experiencing. Another person could then take a recording and relive that moment using some more equipment. The devices were originally marketed as entertainment devices, sports etc, but there was a thriving black market in violent experiences.

Anywho, the main thrust of the story was that someone witnessed a murder and had recorded it, and the recording was being tracked down by the perpetrators of the murder. That's all I have except for one scene where a character whos wearing a rolex gives it as a guarantee for something, then it's revealed it's a fake as he's wearing 4 on his wrist or something...

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

eskimaux posted:

OK this is a sci-fi movie from the early nineties(?). All I can remember is that people could wear head gear and it would record what they're experiencing. Another person could then take a recording and relive that moment using some more equipment. The devices were originally marketed as entertainment devices, sports etc, but there was a thriving black market in violent experiences.

Anywho, the main thrust of the story was that someone witnessed a murder and had recorded it, and the recording was being tracked down by the perpetrators of the murder. That's all I have except for one scene where a character whos wearing a rolex gives it as a guarantee for something, then it's revealed it's a fake as he's wearing 4 on his wrist or something...

Strange Days

Gloot
Jan 5, 2007
Two I've been searching for for some time now:

1) A movie I saw my mom watching on VHS sometime in the early 90's. I don't think it was a scary movie, but this scene sure was. The main actor looked kind of like Burt Reynolds, and I think he was a writer. He wakes up in bed and there's a ghost floating in front of him that looks like a little girl, and she's holding a bloody knife. Lightning flashes. He wakes up - it was a dream. Like I said, I don't think the rest of the movie was scary.

Kind of dumb scene, but it scared me so badly as a 7 year old that I'd like to see it again.

2) Another scene I saw in the early 90's. I don't remember clearly but it looked kind of like a 70's or early 80's movie. There's a kid and his older brother, and they're in the forest at night. They're freaked out about something. The older brother says "I'm going for help" and leaves the kid there. The kid starts singing "three blind mice" once the brother leaves.

What was this movie all about?! I've been wondering my entire life.

Demons
May 27, 2011
I remember watching a chinese language subtitled film about four seasons on a chinese lake, the title relates to that if I remember correctly, and it looked to be from maybe the 70s or earlier, in colour, but rather low quality. More of a drama, it's set mostly on a little floating pagoda in the middle of a lake surrounded by foggy mountains. Little things I remember happening in it is a character, I think a student, carves letters all over the deck of the floating pagoda. Inside it is a little shine where he sleeps. I think there is a cat. Most of the film is him contimplating something, but it's quite beautiful. I think he gets visited from an old guy. It was on a few years ago at about 2 am so I only remember sketchy details.

Also looking for recent film which has a gay friend character who's not actually gay, thought it could be a television program.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Demons posted:

I remember watching a chinese language subtitled film about four seasons on a chinese lake, the title relates to that if I remember correctly, and it looked to be from maybe the 70s or earlier, in colour, but rather low quality. More of a drama, it's set mostly on a little floating pagoda in the middle of a lake surrounded by foggy mountains. Little things I remember happening in it is a character, I think a student, carves letters all over the deck of the floating pagoda. Inside it is a little shine where he sleeps. I think there is a cat. Most of the film is him contimplating something, but it's quite beautiful. I think he gets visited from an old guy. It was on a few years ago at about 2 am so I only remember sketchy details.

Not Chinese, not 70's, but otherwise it sounds exactly like Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring

Demons
May 27, 2011

FitFortDanga posted:

Not Chinese, not 70's, but otherwise it sounds exactly like Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring

Thank you.
Way off even for tiredness to be an excuse.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Demons posted:

Also looking for recent film which has a gay friend character who's not actually gay, thought it could be a television program.

Give us a little more to go on. Was he pretending to be gay, or did everyone just assume he was? Was the main character a girl and was he trying to get in her pants?

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Demons posted:

Main character pretends to be gay in KickAss and Boat Trip

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 8, 2011

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Demons posted:

TV series "Three's Company" from the 70s had this as its central premise, the John Ritter character was supposed to be gay thereby making it okay with the crusty landlord for him to share an apartment with female tenants.

And, as pointed out, it's been the subject of I think a number of romantic comedies where the dude pretending to be gay allows him to get closer to the female love interest, although Kick rear end is the most recent movie to feature this.

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007

Mouser.. posted:

Strange Days

Nice! Thank you very much. I shall enjoy this.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
When I was a kid my dad rented this movie that must have been about the holocaust because the main character was a dude in a concentration camp and he ended up eating out this nazi woman in order for his life to be spared or something (?).

There was also a guy who got shot and fell in a vat of sewage I think.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Possibly lsa: She Wolf of the SS?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Rubber Slug posted:

When I was a kid my dad rented this movie that must have been about the holocaust because the main character was a dude in a concentration camp and he ended up eating out this nazi woman in order for his life to be spared or something (?).

There was also a guy who got shot and fell in a vat of sewage I think.

Maybe Salon Kitty. But I haven't seen it yet, just heard of it.

AstroLabia
Dec 6, 2008
Any Japanese film buffs?? This was a quirky indie Japanese teen romantic comedy (?) Looked very recent, 2002-2008?. At one point the main girl puts soap on her hands in a public restroom to wash them, but then the water doesn't work. So she doesn't know what to do and decides to wipe her dry soapy hands on a paper towel but it doesn't really work. She kinda forgets about it, but later, walking down a road she sees the boy she has a crush on. It starts raining and only he has an umbrella. He grabs her hand and runs home with her, but because of the rain her previously soapy hands begin to bubble up all over the place like an overloaded dishwasher while he's still holding her hand.

It was obnoxiously cute.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Haven't actually seen this one:
Before I had an account, I guess about a year or two ago, I was browsing the SA forums, can't remember what subject.

Somebody mentioned, perhaps in passing, being unsettled by a scene in a movie. Two kids are being held (not sure if kidnapped) by a couple of creepers (not sure if pedophiles) and, it wasn't a supernatural movie, but in a couple of shots the shadows of the captors seemed to be ghoulishly exaggerated, and, on the forums, there was a brief debate over whether or not practical effects had gone into this, or, indeed, if the shadows had been ghoulishly exaggerated at all.

I remember looking into the movie, and it piquing my interest, but now I can't remember what the title was.

• I'm fairly sure it was a 90's/early 00's thriller, with a realistic premise, the kidnappers were a married couple or have some other close relationship, and the kids are rescued before anything too bad happens.
  • I'm pretty sure it's got a vague, lengthy name like Stir of Echoes, Don't Say a Word, A Time to Kill, or Along Came a Spider (all of which are not the movie but fit the bill and I thought might have been).
  • I'm less sure that the kidnapping was tangential to something else happening in the movie. From the wikipedia summary I got the impression the parents had some other poo poo going on when one of them showed up to rescue the kids.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Cubone posted:

Haven't actually seen this one:
Before I had an account, I guess about a year or two ago, I was browsing the SA forums, can't remember what subject.

Somebody mentioned, perhaps in passing, being unsettled by a scene in a movie. Two kids are being held (not sure if kidnapped) by a couple of creepers (not sure if pedophiles) and, it wasn't a supernatural movie, but in a couple of shots the shadows of the captors seemed to be ghoulishly exaggerated, and, on the forums, there was a brief debate over whether or not practical effects had gone into this, or, indeed, if the shadows had been ghoulishly exaggerated at all.

I remember looking into the movie, and it piquing my interest, but now I can't remember what the title was.

• I'm fairly sure it was a 90's/early 00's thriller, with a realistic premise, the kidnappers were a married couple or have some other close relationship, and the kids are rescued before anything too bad happens.
  • I'm pretty sure it's got a vague, lengthy name like Stir of Echoes, Don't Say a Word, A Time to Kill, or Along Came a Spider (all of which are not the movie but fit the bill and I thought might have been).
  • I'm less sure that the kidnapping was tangential to something else happening in the movie. From the wikipedia summary I got the impression the parents had some other poo poo going on when one of them showed up to rescue the kids.

Running Scared

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

LesterGroans posted:

Running Scared

Holy poo poo that was a fast response. Thank you!

Demons
May 27, 2011

Mouser.. posted:

Main character pretends to be gay in KickAss and Boat Trip

KickAss was what I was looking for. Thank you.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

codyclarke posted:

Maybe Salon Kitty. But I haven't seen it yet, just heard of it.

Let me clarify that the nazi woman was old and fat and the whole scene was horrifying and not sexy at all. She didn't even take off her clothes, she just sat down and he went under the skirt.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

HYMEN.SYS posted:

I saw this years ago and I'm pretty sure it was a DTV movie, or at least made-for-TV. All I remember is a kid gets caught in some stupid crime and ends up being forcibly aged into his 20s or 30s overnight as punishment by the weird future-government. Also he falls in love with some chick. It was like a really lovely sci-fi dystopian take on Big.

Anyone know this one? It's driving me nuts.

Batui
Mar 13, 2005

Was watching The Conversation the other day and the hotel scene reminded me of another movie with a murder in a hotel/motel. All I can remember is that solving the murder had something to do with the size difference between a full bed and a double bed, that the murder happened before double beds were introduced and the extra size of that bed was used to cover up something.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Batui posted:

Was watching The Conversation the other day and the hotel scene reminded me of another movie with a murder in a hotel/motel. All I can remember is that solving the murder had something to do with the size difference between a full bed and a double bed, that the murder happened before double beds were introduced and the extra size of that bed was used to cover up something.
Possibly Zero Effect.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Rubber Slug posted:

Let me clarify that the nazi woman was old and fat and the whole scene was horrifying and not sexy at all. She didn't even take off her clothes, she just sat down and he went under the skirt.

...and you want to find this movie why?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Anyone know this one? It's driving me nuts.

Logan's Run?

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Rubber Slug posted:

While I wouldn't say that Dyanne Thorne is 'old and fat', this sounds like Ilsa or an Ilsa knockoff.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

Logan's Run?

No, Logan's Run involved them killing you when you got too old, not forcibly ageing you if you wrote "poo poo" on a wall in spraypaint.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

MrGreenShirt posted:

...and you want to find this movie why?

It's more about finding out what would make my dad rent it and let me watch it with him. :stare:

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

There are some things a man was never meant to know about his father.

Dick Brophy
Apr 18, 2011

by Fistgrrl
My apologies if this one has already been identified, but I've been thinking about it on and off for a couple weeks now and it's starting to drive me mad-

Saw it in a theater (one of those artsy/independent ones) a few years ago (sometime between 2000 and 2005). It was about some kids in Russia, I don't remember if it was subtitled or dubbed (probably subtitled) who were pretty much just delinquents. I remember the girls dressing relatively slutty (I recall a tube top, specifically) and they were always going around sniffing glue. There may have been a scene where the girl in the tube top is riding in a sports car with some boys. Perhaps there was child prostitution involved? That's where my memory stops. If I recall correctly, I think the title was just one or two words, possibly the main (girl?) character's name.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Dick Brophy posted:

My apologies if this one has already been identified, but I've been thinking about it on and off for a couple weeks now and it's starting to drive me mad-

Saw it in a theater (one of those artsy/independent ones) a few years ago (sometime between 2000 and 2005). It was about some kids in Russia, I don't remember if it was subtitled or dubbed (probably subtitled) who were pretty much just delinquents. I remember the girls dressing relatively slutty (I recall a tube top, specifically) and they were always going around sniffing glue. There may have been a scene where the girl in the tube top is riding in a sports car with some boys. Perhaps there was child prostitution involved? That's where my memory stops. If I recall correctly, I think the title was just one or two words, possibly the main (girl?) character's name.

Lilya 4-Ever?

Dick Brophy
Apr 18, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Origami Dali posted:

Lilya 4-Ever?

YES! Thank you. I knew it started with an L.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
I saw this movie in the theaters in the late 80s/early 90s.

It was a movie about these pirates that crash land on an island. the majority of the movie takes place on a tropical island. I can't remember much other then a scene where they're fighting in this log fort on the top of a hill and there's this kid that spends the battle reloading all the muskets.

There was a character named Duke I think.

It may have been a Disney movie.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Sounds like Treasure Island with Christian Bale as the kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAcC3jmXtKk

edit: actually that was a TV movie. Could be a different version, or you're misremembering.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Mister_Eel posted:

I saw this movie in the theaters in the late 80s/early 90s.

It was a movie about these pirates that crash land on an island. the majority of the movie takes place on a tropical island. I can't remember much other then a scene where they're fighting in this log fort on the top of a hill and there's this kid that spends the battle reloading all the muskets.

There was a character named Duke I think.

It may have been a Disney movie.

It could be Shipwrecked which was a Disney movie from 1990 that you are thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I have one. It was (probably) either an Indian or Pakistani film. I saw it in, say, 2001-2002. The main story dealt with the partition of India and Pakistan. I'm pretty sure it deals with a handful of characters in one of the communities that was torn in half.

One of the specific scenes I remember is a band of Muslim militia accosting someone who had been either Hindi or Sikh. The man swore he had converted, so the militia made him strip down and show that he was now circumcised (and then made fun of him).

I think one of the main characters was a younger female who probably died at the end (or had a sister or someone die).

I know that isn't a lot to go on, but for the life of me I can't figure out what the movie was called.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 12, 2011