Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I think The pHo means Round the Twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Carpet posted:

I think The pHo means Round the Twist.

No, Round the Bend was hosted by a Aligator who lived in a sewer and had such cartoons like the He-Man parody: Wee-Man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_the_Bend

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Ben Soosneb posted:

More Look and Read - Through the Dragon's Eye chat. Charn really was loving terrifying.

Still have memories of HELP! CHARN! on the scarf. Really a gently caress yeah, reading is good moment.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
There's a documentary about clowns on iPlayer that I can't recommend highly enough. The bit with Mr. Velcro explaining what the kid did to him in the park is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Now watching my way through Farthing Wood. So many memories... So many dead animals... :smith:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sebzilla posted:

Now watching my way through Farthing Wood. So many memories... So many dead animals... :smith:

Me too. It turns out that the show is basically: Fox is Jack Bauer in animal form, Mole is a giant pussy and all the animals are dicks to each other. "What's that? Pheasant's dead? DEAD LIKE HIS WIFE? Ahahahahaha!"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Mole is lovely. His friendship with Badger is the best part of the show. Apart from Weasel's constant laughter in the face of every horrific event the animals endure.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sebzilla posted:

Mole is lovely. His friendship with Badger is the best part of the show. Apart from Weasel's constant laughter in the face of every horrific event the animals endure.

I'm not saying Mole isn't lovely, but every time he's on screen it's about him being slow, getting in trouble, needing saving, crying or generally not being any help.

Adder is a dick. Owl is a dick. Pheasant was a dick. Weasel is a huge dick. The newts stay behind to die in a fire and nobody gives a poo poo. The pheasants die and not only does nobody give a poo poo, they joke about it. Dicks! (I'm not entirely serious about this, but watching the show with this filter is making it way more entertaining)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Fair enough. Kids shows with an adult's perspective are fantastic. My personal favourite is watching Ivor The Engine with the premise that Ivor is just a normal locomotive and Jones is just being humoured by the rest of the characters. Particularly in the episode when a psychiatrist turns up and draws exactly that conclusion.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

sebzilla posted:

Fair enough. Kids shows with an adult's perspective are fantastic. My personal favourite is watching Ivor The Engine with the premise that Ivor is just a normal locomotive and Jones is just being humoured by the rest of the characters. Particularly in the episode when a psychiatrist turns up and draws exactly that conclusion.

Percy the Park Keeper lives in a shed. His only company is the radio and the animals of the park :smith:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Holy poo poo, I didn't know there was new Shooting Stars. I think I laugh at this program more than most for some reason. It's so immature and surreal sometimes. I love Angelous' rave, and like another poster said, whenever there is an American guest, they don't know what the gently caress is going on and that makes it even funnier.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'd advise anyone who hasn't seen it to watch this light hearted doc about clowns on iPlayer. It's marvellously creepy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b009r2kf/Clowns/

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Tommy Tickle is on the loving edge.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Lord Dekks posted:

No, Round the Bend was hosted by a Aligator who lived in a sewer and had such cartoons like the He-Man parody: Wee-Man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_the_Bend
You can watch all three series on Tony Husband's site: http://www.tonyhusband.co.uk/rtbs1e1.html

I think some of it still stands up quite well!

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

I'd advise anyone who hasn't seen it to watch this light hearted doc about clowns on iPlayer. It's marvellously creepy.

I'm sick of people giving clowns a bad name, and so are the good people at the Federation Of Clowns and Children's Entertainers. Hopefully this will help to cure your coulrophobia.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Testro posted:

You can watch all three series on Tony Husband's site: http://www.tonyhusband.co.uk/rtbs1e1.html

I think some of it still stands up quite well!

many thanks for this, I feared no such archive existed

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Mentioned it earlier this page but this deserves to be reposted. I've started using the phrase 'and then he started getting weird!' in my everyday parlance. And Tommy Tickle is the real life Mr Jelly.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

henpod posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't know there was new Shooting Stars. I think I laugh at this program more than most for some reason. It's so immature and surreal sometimes. I love Angelous' rave, and like another poster said, whenever there is an American guest, they don't know what the gently caress is going on and that makes it even funnier.

Utterly confused American guests are great, as are people like Brigitte Nielsen this week who just enjoy the ride. It's the z-list British celebs who are just there to sit quietly and collect the cheque who bring it down somewhat.

Angelous' rave tune cracks me up every time. It's not as amusing out of context but for anyone who might be wondering, this is the tune he plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ysPGGoUsQ

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I prefer the quiet z-listers to the smartarse ones who step all over the jokes.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Spooks is dead; http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/aug/11/bbc-spooks-axed

Not at the hands of the BBC, but at the hands of Kudos. Part of the Shine Group. Who are owned by News Corporation. :tinfoil:

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Two very early 90s CBBC programmes I need help remembering because it's sending me into a tizzy of false memories; Kids live on an estate with a puppet crow that can talk. I think they were all puppets. I'm almost certain it was called something like Mortimer the Crow or Mortimer or something but google has nothing.

Another even more important one was the best children's game show ever made; The premise was that the contestants were inside some kind of futuristic tower block, with different challenges on each floor. If they failed they ended up in the laundry room in these horrid cages and the team had to go and rescue them. One of the final challenges involved playing checkers against these guys in black robes. Also to move between challenges there was a lift that had a computer inside that was basically a kid friendly version of Holly from red dwarf, but was a man in a red mask (I think).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

boner meter posted:

Another even more important one was the best children's game show ever made; The premise was that the contestants were inside some kind of futuristic tower block, with different challenges on each floor. If they failed they ended up in the laundry room in these horrid cages and the team had to go and rescue them. One of the final challenges involved playing checkers against these guys in black robes. Also to move between challenges there was a lift that had a computer inside that was basically a kid friendly version of Holly from red dwarf, but was a man in a red mask (I think).

Incredible Games? Think it was past my time, but it seems to come up in his thread all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPUpwSSU15o

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

Junkenstein posted:

Incredible Games? Think it was past my time, but it seems to come up in his thread all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPUpwSSU15o
That seems like it, but I'm certain the contestants were kids. What the hell, brain? :(

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG

boner meter posted:

That seems like it, but I'm certain the contestants were kids. What the hell, brain? :(

I believe they usually were kids, yeah.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

boner meter posted:

Two very early 90s CBBC programmes I need help remembering because it's sending me into a tizzy of false memories; Kids live on an estate with a puppet crow that can talk. I think they were all puppets. I'm almost certain it was called something like Mortimer the Crow or Mortimer or something but google has nothing.

You're definitely thinking of Mortimer and Arabel, which was a puppet show in 1993-94 and was based on a series of books written by Joan Aitken and illustrated by the ever-marvellous Quentin Blake.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
drat you, Horizon! No matter how intriguing the premise of any episode is, you always churn out a ponderously slow documentary full of pointless lingering shots and narration that drip-feeds facts at a glacial pace.

This one about colours could be interesting, but they really need to produce a 15-minute version for those of us who can process human speech at rates above 4 words per minute.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I've just been watching The Code with Marcus du Sautoy. I'm not a mathmatician, but he's completely full of poo poo. Cicadas have prime-number lifecycles, imaginary numbers make radar works. Maths is built into nature because music, this thing we made, has nice ratios!

It's almost like watching TimeCube.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've just been watching The Code with Marcus du Sautoy. I'm not a mathmatician, but he's completely full of poo poo. Cicadas have prime-number lifecycles, imaginary numbers make radar works. Maths is built into nature because music, this thing we made, has nice ratios!

That's all true though. I am a mathematician, nothing he's saying is false. It's presented in a popular science-y way which is maybe a little bit superficial, rather than going to the level beyond where the connections seem less like crazy out-there randomness, but that's totally the nature of mathematics. I didn't see anything other than the cicada bit, and I've never heard of the radar thing (although imaginary numbers are a huge, HUGE part of advanced maths) but I could literally talk all day about the connections between maths and music, my degree was maths and music and I wrote a 56-page dissertation on only one of the many aspects of that.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 11, 2011

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Strom Cuzewon posted:

imaginary numbers make radar works
Complex numbers are heavily linked to periodic functions. Lots of signal analysis relies on them, for one, and they provide a fairly elegant way to describe electromagnetism.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Is anyone still watching The Hour? If so please tell me what I think of it because I don't know. It's managed to cast a load of people I respect and I'm not sure if it's clouding my judgement of the entire show.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Shooting Stars is unbelievably funny. Almost introducing Brigitte Nielsen as Dennis Nilsen was spectacular. Everything Angelos did was amazing. Tights Night.

It's a lot funnier than it has any right to be after so many years.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

incredible bear posted:

Is anyone still watching The Hour? If so please tell me what I think of it because I don't know. It's managed to cast a load of people I respect and I'm not sure if it's clouding my judgement of the entire show.

Great show. Even if I can't stop thinking of Hector as McNulty, especially when he's rutting away on top of a lady.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

incredible bear posted:

It's a good show. I knew one of the supporting players in secondary school and he was a complete oval office, so that's a little weird.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

incredible bear posted:

I like it. It's not revolutionary but the mystery conspiracy is interesting enough and everything is pretty competent.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I never made it past the first episode where he spent an insane amount of time discussing how neolithic man built all their circular sites around the mystic cicle number, a number that lies at the very heart of every circle. Here are some circular things, this mysterious number lies within each of them. Look, more round things and believe it or not this elusive number dwells within them too.

He then took at least 3 circles and proceeded to work out the ratio of the circumference to the diameter for each of them. I never studied maths beyond GCSE but I know what loving Pi is! Just skip straight to the interesting bit about the unexpected places it turns up. There's no need to spend 5 minutes explaining basic maths to us any more than Countdown needs to start each show with a singalong version of the alphabet song to teach us our letters. It's that same ponderous style as Horizon where the producers assume everyone watching dropped out of high school before their 12th birthday.

I'm grateful for any kind of educational documentary on TV these days, but some of them really try my patience and that was way more rant than I'd intended.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Not at the hands of the BBC, but at the hands of Kudos. Part of the Shine Group. Who are owned by News Corporation. :tinfoil:

What are you talking about? Spooks stopped two episodes into Series 3. That's when it ended.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Boo :(
They have also said the next series of Hustle will be the last too.
Still 10 series is a good innings, and they get to go out properly. This series of Spooks is only 6 episodes though :(

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The Hour is a decent show although by the end it'll probably feel a couple of episodes too long (the same problem BBC2 had with The Shadow Line). Four episodes have been broadcast so far and, in my opinion, there's a little too much fluff in each episode meaning we aren't shown nearly enough of the MI6-Soviet conspiracy plot, but get too much of the dull love triangle hogging the show.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Clearly.

Lots of creatures have prime number life cycles because if there are predators that have similar life cycles then prime numbers will give you the best chance of surviving for a long time (because the smallest common multiple of a number and a prime that is not a factor of that number is the two multiplied together) whereas something like 12 year life cycles will meet up with the predators frequently if the predators have 2, 3, 4 or 6 year life cycles.

Imaginary numbers are used in loving everything in physics and are vital to our understanding of quantum mechanics, electromagnetism and electronics, optics, relativity, condensed matter physics and anything else that ever involves waves (which, due to quantum field theory and classical field theory, is when you get down to it literally all of reality).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Horizon episode What is Reality? from last year did a much better job explaining the same sort of stuff, watch that instead.