Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Yeah the reason my friend and I haven't played storm of magic yet is because it seems too gimmicky. I mean even our 8th ed. magic phases are bonkers.

Anyway, serious question: If you have more than one wizard using the same lore, is it possible for both of them to know the same spell or would you re-roll the spells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

Yeah the reason my friend and I haven't played storm of magic yet is because it seems too gimmicky. I mean even our 8th ed. magic phases are bonkers.

Anyway, serious question: If you have more than one wizard using the same lore, is it possible for both of them to know the same spell or would you re-roll the spells?

Only the signature spell can be duplicated.

This creates the ability to game the spell allocation system to your advantage. For instance when playing a skaven plague lore list it is customary to roll your priest first, swapping powerful spells for the basic sig spell in order to make them available for your seer.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
You can have duplicates if someone is a Loremaster or knows specific spells as standard though.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Just finished these guys so I thought I'd post them here. Just started painting the next 20 with bows.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deino posted:

Played my first Storm of Magic game, today! The fulcrums and the ability to have individual wizards battle each other has a very cinematic feel (though it was kind of silly to have my Engine of the Gods sitting on a whirling typhoon of magical energy). One downside I felt was the effectiveness of many of the units provided by SoM. My ally's Chaos War Mammoth was defeated in a single round of combat thanks to lack of impact hits and only resolving a total of three wounds upon the unit of Nurgle-marked Chosen it'd charged. A Dragon had also charged some of my Warriors, taken down rather efficiently thanks to a Scar-Vet with Great Weapon. It just feels like many of these huge, devastating-looking monsters should be a lot more effective than they seem to end up being. The modification to the magic phase, allowing for 4d6 dice for winds of magic rather than the normal 2d6 was a welcome change though, and the cataclysmic spells were a lot of fun to play with. Spawning a Blood Forest beneath a unit of Chaos Knights was very :black101: when combined with Awakening of the Wood.

Think about how epic that Scar-Vet is. Tales will be sung about him for generations.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Think about how epic that Scar-Vet is. Tales will be sung about him for generations.

He will return home the same soldier he departed as and fall into his unfeeling slumber with the rest of saurus kind. :geno:

Saurus know no glory.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

richyp posted:

Just finished these guys so I thought I'd post them here. Just started painting the next 20 with bows.

How did you base that movement tray? I've been trying to come up with a good idea for my VC army and that looks really nice.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

TarDolphinorShark posted:

How did you base that movement tray? I've been trying to come up with a good idea for my VC army and that looks really nice.

Pretty straight forward, I have some sand and a handfull small slate chunks mixed together in a pot. Slather the edge of the base and the goblin bases in watered down PVA, then tip the sand mix over the lot and press in a few pieces of larger slate on some of the bases and on the front of the tray. Leave it about 20 minutes then spray prime everything to fix it in place.

Painting wise it's just a lot of liberal drybrushing from Leather Brown to Sand Yellow, applying a heavier drybrush on the larger chunks of slate.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Thanks for that. Looks like I need some slate to break up.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood
Here are some photos of my Dark Elf army. It's about where I like an army to be. It has at least one of everything (except Cold One Chariots and Manticore), which lets me try out many different kind of lists.

Will start painting my new Bretonnians next. I'm putting them off because the idea of painting each knight in a different scheme seems annoying. It's hard to paint factory style when everyone has a different set of colors.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Uberskooper posted:

Here are some photos of my Dark Elf army. It's about where I like an army to be. It has at least one of everything (except Cold One Chariots and Manticore), which lets me try out many different kind of lists.

Will start painting my new Bretonnians next. I'm putting them off because the idea of painting each knight in a different scheme seems annoying. It's hard to paint factory style when everyone has a different set of colors.

Protip for bretonnians:

For each unit do all the knights in a combo of 4 or 5 colors that don't clash (black, brown, yellow, red, white and whatever metallics for instance) and just alternate what parts are which colors on each model, introducing a new color here and there on a few select models to help them stand out. The unit will be cohesive without looking like clown barf and taking 7 years to paint.

I went into my brets thinking I was going to get really creative, but I'm not bachtere. Not by a long shot. It takes a lot of planning to ensure that you don't end up with a silly horrorshow of color.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Wasn't the Tamurkhan book supposed to come out last month? I can only find a picture of the cover on the forge world site.

edit: apparently its been delayed, but look what I found: http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,monstrous_news.php?id=919#i/2010/big/moskal_general_green06.jpg

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 12, 2011

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Yesterday I played an awesome 1000pts battle against Skaven, we both hadn't played fantasy in about 3 months so we were a bit rusty. Lists were:

High Elves
Lvl2 mage with Silver Wand and Annulian Crystal, Lore of Life
20 Lothern Sea Guard with shields and Full Command
17 Sword Masters with Full Command
10 White Lions with Full Command
1 Great Eagle

Skaven
1 Warchief
1 Engineer?, lvl 1 mage
2x50 slaves or something like that, both with Mortar Teams
Warp Lightning Cannon
8 Gutter runners

We rolled for meeting engagement, I got to deploy first and deployed my entire army in cover and a short to the middle as possible. First mistake, against templates it doesn't matter that I'm in cover. I'm not gonna make a battle report of this since I didn't take any pictures, I will give some highlights.

We played the first 3 turns while I was marching my way across the board to him, his cannon and the mortars had 3 full turns of shooting without missing or blowing up, that sucked. My Lions were reserved because of the mission and never left the backfield since that's were the gutter runners came on. They took 1 casualty while the runners danced around them for 4 turns, he forgot about the 2+ save vs. shooting. The eagle got zapped by a spell right before he managed to do anything usefull. The real heroes were my mage and the sword masters, the mage got the Throne of Vines of that my opponent never dispelled. That gave me a big bonus on all the other spells I had (regrowth and toughness bonus) for the entire game. This fact alone resulted in me ressurecting my sword master several times from the brink of death. They tore both the slave blocks completely apart while the mage supported them. In turn 4 I finally managed to kill the mortar teams and the cannon lost 2 turns of shooting, that's when I started killing the slaves and he conceded at the end of turn 5.

I liked how things went down but I reckon he won't let me use regrowth or throne of vines again since he knows their power now. We play again tomorrow and I'm thinking about using Lore of Shadows, although I'm not to sure on that being usefull.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

lockdar posted:

2x50 slaves or something like that, both with Mortar Teams

Skavenslaves can't take weapon teams.

Hodgesaargh
Oct 25, 2010
I went home last week and dug out an old army I collected years ago, my first Warhammer army; Dogs of War. I've been thinking about them recently after I finished my Ogres and now I think I'll spruce up the painting on them and start fielding them as a counts-as Empire army, with an awesome mercenary theme. My question is, what does an Empire army list look like nowadays?

My DoW are made up of Empire, Dwarf and Regiments of Renown models. I have:

• about 25 Alicanti pikemen /w full command
  • 12 Rico's Republican Guard pikemen /w full command
  • 16 Halbardiers /w full command (used as paymasters bodyguard)
  • 10 Crossbowmen (empire free company models)
  • 10 Dwarven Crossbowmen /w full command
  • 5 x Vesperro's vendetta (leader and 4 guys)
  • 10 duellists (free company models)
  • 10 Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks :black101: /w full command
  • 15 x Beorg Bearstruck and the Bearmen of Usrslo /w full command
  • 7 x Long Drong slayer pirates
  • Golgfag's Maneaters /w full command (been absorbed into my Ogre army)
  • 1 x Dwarf Cannon
  • 1 x Dwarf Organ gun (not sure why I have this, think I was starting to collect a dwarf army with the dwarfy parts of my army, used it as a Halfling Hotpot)
  • Witch hunter (used as a mercenary captain, from my Mordheim warband)
  • Borgio the Besieger
  • Johann and Wilhelm
  • Midas the Mean with pay cart
  • Mercenary Captain mounted w/ 2 handed sword (Think this guy was a special character, can't remember his name)
  • Lucretia Borgia (horse missing)
  • Asarnil the Dragonlord (He was terrible, T3 and 2 wounds 5+ invulnerable, ugh)
Whew! Most of it is painted very badly or not painted at all. Most of it converts diectly, pikes to spearmen, halbardiers stay as they are, ditto for cannon and free company, witch hunter to warrior priest. Should I consolidate the pikemen into a horde? whats the deal with hordes in this edition anyway? What should I use as detachments?

More unusual counts-as' maybe :

Organgun -> Helblaster
Bearmen -> Flagellants
Halflings -> archers/huntsmen
Johann and Wilhelm -> wizard and captain/general
Paycart -> War altar of Sigmar! I love the idea of prayers of greed :)

The only one I'm stuck on is the slayer pirates... They're so cool but dunno what I could field them as.

So anyway, what sort of thing should I be fielding as Empire? Not really looking to make a tournament list, but something rounded. I think I've got enough models to go to at least 1500, but what should I have at lower values? Am I missing anything obvious? I used to have a unit of disgraced Bretonnians as cavalry but I sold them to a friend, are the empire cavalry worth their points?

edit; formatting

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

ActionZero posted:

Skavenslaves can't take weapon teams.

Hence "or something like that" you loving idiot.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

pork never goes bad posted:

Hence "or something like that" you loving idiot.

Yes thanks I do possess basic reading comprehension, I was trying to be helpful by pointing out that as slaves can't take weapon teams it must have been the "or something like that" (I would guess either 2 sets of clanrats or 1 clanrats and 1 stormvermin as it makes the points about right) you loving idiot.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 14, 2011

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

New Daemons poo poo is on advance orders. New finecast Bloodthirster and Lord of change, as well as a decent battleforce. No finecast/plastic plague bearers though?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440004a&rootCatGameStyle=wh

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Looks like one of the more useful battalions.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ForKhorne posted:

New Daemons poo poo is on advance orders. New finecast Bloodthirster and Lord of change, as well as a decent battleforce. No finecast/plastic plague bearers though?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440004a&rootCatGameStyle=wh

That herald looks pretty rad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

Looks like one of the more useful battalions.

Battalion vs Battalion there aren't many that measure up to it competitively on paper. Those are all great choices.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I never understood how people played undivided chaos or demons. I feel it totally destroys the feel of the army if you don't religiously play everything as one mark.

That being said, I'm an inch away from buying a box of chaos warriors just so I can spend hours converting Nurgle chosen, considering I just bought the last thing I need for my O&G.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

I can't say I enjoy any of the newer Demon releases in the past few years. Just something about their aesthetic that really doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't really like anything in the characters section except for Lord of Change and perhaps the Masque. Pretty much all the plastics are not for me. Some of them are... acceptable, but that's not what I'm looking for in an army.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The new plastic bloodletters are the best bloodleters.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Business Gorillas posted:

I never understood how people played undivided chaos or demons. I feel it totally destroys the feel of the army if you don't religiously play everything as one mark.

That being said, I'm an inch away from buying a box of chaos warriors just so I can spend hours converting Nurgle chosen, considering I just bought the last thing I need for my O&G.

The fluff no longer cares about strife among the gods when it comes to incursions in the mortal realm. No incursion could happen unless there was a significant truce.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

moths posted:

This is true, but they are still less than great. Posing, variety and general detail are all passable but lacking.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

moths posted:

I respectfully disagree with your statement, sir!
:goonsay:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I like the thinking but, but imagine an all khorne WoC army. Then imaging the magic phase.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Another guy for my little goblin army.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I'm a selling my empire army, so if you want a cheap empire army then lookee here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431000

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Boiled Water posted:

I like the thinking but, but imagine an all khorne WoC army. Then imaging the magic phase.

Back when I played in high school my friend played an all-Khorne army and it absolutely crushed magic phases. I'm assuming they got rid of the free dispel dice you get for each unit with the Mark of Khorne you have?

EDIT: I have a bunch of tidbits lying around from my old Skaven and Vampire Counts armies (some are converted and painted, others are entirely beaten up) if anyone's interested.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Back when I played in high school my friend played an all-Khorne army and it absolutely crushed magic phases. I'm assuming they got rid of the free dispel dice you get for each unit with the Mark of Khorne you have?

Why yes they did. I don't think you can get the much needed dispel dices for an all khorne army without sorcerers.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

spacegoat posted:

Oh man, I am starting the countdown til the giant ant that makes up this guy's codpiece becomes a whole giant insect army and they pull me back in.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Just take all my loving money. Take it all.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Holy poo poo. My games budget just went through the roof. Those first three are amazing

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

spacegoat posted:

Wow.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
That is a really really good paint job.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

I believe this may be the first time I've literally dropped my jaw at an 'Eavy Metal paintjob. A lot of their work is good (especially when compared to my own, lovely painting). But on that fire-breather and the warlord-ish dude? drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Every new ogre release is just further increasing the height from which my hopes will plummet and be dashed when they inexplicably phone in the releases for the army I care about.

These sculpts are getting insanely good.

• Locked thread