Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I really look forward to working in "Horn and drunky" into describing someone one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

LtStorm posted:

I don't know what's more surprising, seeing the necromancer return, or the acknowledgment that what he did was not morally sound by any regard, even though it wasn't really rape. Either way, bravo, I want to see more. :golfclap:

And yes, I'd like to know where you take suggestions for commands from as well, I'm kind of interested in joining in on it now, especially if it doesn't mean having to brave the MSPA forums.

I also really liked the "cat person" joke at the end. Quality stuff as usual; I really like Dmitri, he's a fun character to read about. I'd also like to say that if we could submit commands here instead of going through MSPA forums, it would be a huge step up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Liath Macha posted:

One of my favorite little things about this update was the X splitting in half when she took out the boss apple.

Incidentally, Kazerad, if you're not aware, the fact that this gif (and others) is made without a frame delay value means that it renders flickeringly fast in firefox and chrome but at much slower in IE, which inserts an automatic delay in gifs without them.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The text/picture as and when needed format is certainly interesting. I'd be quite interested to see how it used in a non comedy story. Also, is anyone aware of non interactive stories using the format? I can only think of Hyperbole and a half.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Kazerad posted:

I'm probably gonna try smaller updates for a little while, see how it works out.

Definitely dig the frequent, but smaller updates. Keep up the good work!

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

LtStorm posted:

I don't know what's more surprising, seeing the necromancer return, or the acknowledgment that what he did was not morally sound by any regard, even though it wasn't really rape.

I was wondering where my can opener went. Those poor worms are gonna suffocate in there.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Maybe we should stop that one before it starts. Friends, let us all pitch in to keep this thread from becoming lovely. If you want to discuss rape, let's do so only in the context of Prequel, the webcomic, and not as a general concept. Particularly, let us not explore whether having sex with a drunk person counts as rape or not.

I am sure there are threads in D&D that would be perfect for that kind of thing, and if anyone wants to link to one to route traffic, by all means do so. With a couple of minor exceptions I think this thread has been pretty good so far and I think we all would like to see it stay that way.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Rasamune posted:

I was wondering where my can opener went. Those poor worms are gonna suffocate in there.
Yeah, I think I was getting an ulcer not replying to that. This thread doesn't deserve it though.

EvilKosh
Oct 23, 2000

If they saw my face, could I still take a bow? Will they know me, NOMI, know me, now?

Kazerad posted:

I try to always take criticism into account, but it helps to weight the criticism based on its source. That is to say, when someone is really hating on your stuff it helps to identify whether they are a trained professional or, like, a twelve year old with incredibly important opinions. When I discovered you did a lot of great fanwork yourself and were raising money by drawing other people's characters, some of your earlier criticisms about me trying to capitalize off the work of others admittedly sounded a little jealous in retrospect. So I figured I'd offer you some of my dudes, just in case you needed them. Apologies for the detectiving, no malice was intended.

The thing is, my Deviant Art is a personal thing I did for fun. When I do commissions I've done posters for peoples webcomics, or people's pen and paper RPG characters. The only time I've worked on other peoples properties for money has been when I was hired by companies that held the licenses of the products I was working on.

Anyway please stop talking about my personal poo poo. It's not relevant. This thread is about your comic.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Dr. Hurt posted:

Kazerad, are you only taking suggestions from the MSPA forums? Are you paying attention to the comments on the Prequel site, or are you strictly sticking to one command area?
I read the comments, but I exclusively pull commands from the forum thread. There's a lot of differing opinions about whether or not this is the best course of action, and I might change it up eventually, but for the time being I feel like using the forums has the best outcomes. I'm going to have to make that "submit commands in the forum!" note more obvious or give some explanation on it, though.

When the commands are all in one place, it makes it easier to read through them or count results. In the forum I try to enforce at least a rudimentary degree of "commands only". I wouldn't want to enforce something like that in the comments, since I feel like that's people should be free to discuss or comment whatever they want there.

Taking commands from the forums has a few other benefits too. While I doubt this would be an actual problem, it makes it much harder to "fraud" votes by posting multiple times. It also keeps me tied to the MSPA community, which is still where a huge chunk of my readership comes from. Perhaps most importantly, though maybe somewhat counterintuitively, is that it does make harder to submit commands. A lot of people have remarked that I would get more commands if I didn't require registration, but getting more commands isn't really something I want as a goal. While I don't want to exclude anyone if they want to submit a command, an arbitrary hurdle simply keeps things slightly more manageable. It separates the people who submit commands because they care from the people who submit commands because they have an itchy typing finger.

MikeJF posted:

Incidentally, Kazerad, if you're not aware, the fact that this gif (and others) is made without a frame delay value means that it renders flickeringly fast in firefox and chrome but at much slower in IE, which inserts an automatic delay in gifs without them.
Oh wow, I never noticed this. Though, I don't actually care THAT much about IE compatibility anymore. It's kind of like the class "slow kid"; you could dedicate lots of resources to keeping him at the same level as everyone else, but in the end it would just hold everyone back. I forget, can IE even do transparent PNGs yet? Only about 5% of my readership uses it so it's not too big of a problem.

ShineDog posted:

The text/picture as and when needed format is certainly interesting. I'd be quite interested to see how it used in a non comedy story. Also, is anyone aware of non interactive stories using the format? I can only think of Hyperbole and a half.
While I've never read it in its entirety, King Spot uses creative website coding to pull off a really neat combination of comic panels and storybook-style prose. I believe the author offers the code up to anyone who wants to implement it themselves.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Rasamune posted:

Haledjian posted:

Yeah, I think I was getting an ulcer not replying to that. This thread doesn't deserve it though.

Yeah, let me qualify that thing about rape because that was a really stupid loving way of phrasing it on my part: Dmitri took advantage of her in her state of inebriation, which is date rape. But he did not forcibly sexually assault her. Acknowledging that date rape is wrong is so seldom seen it's surprising it's actually brought up here. I was trying to avoid actually using "rape" because it tends to be a very strong word and I thought just doing so might open a can of worms, but, hey, I used it anyway because I'm an idiot. Sorry for laying the grounds for that huge derail.

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 8, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Fair enough! But yeah I agree, I was really happy to see that in there (and well-incorporated too). Thanks Kazerad! I'm gonna imagine it was prompted at least in part by my post earlier in the thread and feel good.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I guess even necromancers in the service of an unholy lich bent on world domination have to draw the line somewhere.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
A necromancer engaging in fornication seems like it would violate some kind of tenet or scripture. I mean, they're all about death, right? And sex makes babies, right?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I like his cats. They are very cute cats.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Fudge Handsome posted:

A necromancer engaging in fornication seems like it would violate some kind of tenet or scripture. I mean, they're all about death, right? And sex makes babies, right?

More potential bodies to raise from the dead later.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
New update y'all: http://prequeladventure.com/2011/08/dmitri-ontemplate-offering/

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man, I hadn't checked back in a couple days and this Necromancer stuff is pretty great. Expanding our little circle of characters and subplots is a great way to start building up the story.

Also there's no way that guy doesn't have a cat thing. He's probably just your average nerdy wizard type (a nerdcromancer, if you will) and thought he'd won the lottery when a drunk cat-girl threw herself at him. It's rather positive to see him feeling guilty after once he's had time to think about it, I wasn't expecting that at all.

edit: Should... cats be eating hearts?

Dolash fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 9, 2011

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Dolash posted:

Man, I hadn't checked back in a couple days and this Necromancer stuff is pretty great. Expanding our little circle of characters and subplots is a great way to start building up the story.

Also there's no way that guy doesn't have a cat thing. He's probably just your average nerdy wizard type (a nerdcromancer, if you will) and thought he'd won the lottery when a drunk cat-girl threw herself at him. It's rather positive to see him feeling guilty after once he's had time to think about it, I wasn't expecting that at all.

Why not? The first alchemy effect of a daedra heart is restore health so there won't be any negative consequences if you (or anything else) eat one raw.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Dolash posted:

I agree but, Kazerad, don't go introducing a new view-point character every time things are about to get interesting. Prequel not doing just that (at least, not yet) is one of the points I used to sell it to other people.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

So Baeralorn has pet rats. And Dmitri loves his kitties. Do all necromancers have some pet that they fancy. If Baeralorn is even a necromancer. He might just be some elf who's friends with Dmitri, but I wouldn't think many necromancers have friends outside the practice.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.

Dr. Hurt posted:

So Baeralorn has pet rats. And Dmitri loves his kitties. Do all necromancers have some pet that they fancy. If Baeralorn is even a necromancer. He might just be some elf who's friends with Dmitri, but I wouldn't think many necromancers have friends outside the practice.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Baeralorn

I'm starting to think it's a good idea to check the wiki any time a character is mentioned and the players didn't name him.

EDIT: Hahahaha, from the wiki: "Our gracious Countess funds my research. I ward tame rats with resistance spells, then shower them with elemental attacks."

EDIT x2 COMBO: Also, we've already seen him in Prequel, he was at the dinner party the Countess threw.

Robo Pope fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 9, 2011

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Robo Pope posted:

EDIT x2 COMBO: Also, we've already seen him in Prequel, he was at the dinner party the Countess threw.

:doh: I can't believe I forgot about that. They even talk about his penchant for using his rats as spell test subjects in the story. Man now I feel dumb.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I'm pretty happy that my first post ever on those forums was taken up. Thanks, Kaz!

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Man, is it really appropriate to send a scroll of summon skeleton to say "Sorry I had a three way with you and a skeleton"?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Things I like about Dmitri:

1) His robes have clearly been torn up by his cats and repaired.
2) He's idealistic enough to believe that Katia, whom he knows nothing about except that he had a drunken threesome with her, would have been fine as a pet owner.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Shavnir posted:

Man, is it really appropriate to send a scroll of summon skeleton to say "Sorry I had a three way with you and a skeleton"?

Almost seems like a really strange self-confidence issue. "You kind of seemed more into the skeleton than me, so here's the skeleton's phone number!"

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Thundarr posted:

Almost seems like a really strange self-confidence issue. "You kind of seemed more into the skeleton than me, so here's the skeleton's phone number!"

I'm hoping that she uses the scrolls and there's an awkward moment between the two.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Haledjian posted:

Fair enough! But yeah I agree, I was really happy to see that in there (and well-incorporated too). Thanks Kazerad! I'm gonna imagine it was prompted at least in part by my post earlier in the thread and feel good.
Thanks! And yeah, it was partially inspired by your comments. It was also partially inspired by Zenzirouj's request to learn more about what Katia is like while she's drunk.

And partially inspired by Dominic Deegan. I have just made all you guys like a character who raped the protagonist. Sometimes I do things just because bad authors tried them and failed. Time to update my achievements.

Shavnir posted:

Semi-related, I like to imagine in this setting, giving someone a scroll of Summon Xivilai is interpreted as the equivalent of giving someone a vibrator in our world.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 11, 2011

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kazerad posted:

And partially inspired by Dominic Deegan. I have just made all you guys like a character who raped the protagonist. Sometimes I do things just because bad authors tried them and failed. Time to update my achievements.

Son of a bitch.

He should send the wand, by the way. A gift basket would make him seem kind of fruity, a ring would be extra awkward, and an Amulet of Spell Reflection would be counter-productive for somebody with Katia's sign. Not that he knows that. Which probably means he'll be sending the amulet.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I was going to join those forums and make suggestions because I like the comic and the interactivity intrigues me. But then I started reading that thread and decided that I'll just stay here and watch it unfold.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I've never thought words like adorable and heart-warming would come to mind from a scene involving a guy who raises the dead for a living/hobby, but here we are.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Gnome de plume posted:

I've never thought words like adorable and heart-warming would come to mind from a scene involving a guy who raises the dead for a living/hobby, but here we are.

Raising the dead is perfectly normal, or at least it was until the despotic mages guild decided to ban it for no reason!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Dolash posted:

Sure, they're carnivores and they love organ meat. My mother used to have a cat whose favorite food in the whole world was raw chicken liver.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Holy crap, he keeps a cat in a box, but when he opens the box, it is both alive and dead! In your face, Schrödinger!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Samovar posted:

Holy crap, he keeps a cat in a box, but when he opens the box, it is both alive and dead! In your face, Schrödinger!

:aaa: I hadn't realised.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Kazerad posted:

It was also partially inspired by Zenzirouj's request to learn more about what Katia is like while she's drunk.
You know, I was sort of wondering, but I decided like I was just being arrogant. If it gets us more phrases like horn and drunky, please never stop.

idonotlikepeas posted:

1) His robes have clearly been torn up by his cats and repaired.
I assumed that was Katia-inflicted

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
New update: http://prequeladventure.com/2011/08/750/

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Dimitri is so naive and clueless, I love it. And we haven't even seen him actually interact with other people.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

I loved the tiny cat face on the letter. Made me giggle quite a bit.

• Locked thread