Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

80085 posted:

Rogers goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZBLKrzseiA

Best part was Harkes complaining about Brek taking too many touches right before the goal.

Harkes is such a gently caress nugget, its great to have him literally talking out of his rear end as the exact opposite of what he is saying comes true. I thought we played really well in the second half and can't wait to see more of a few of our players (like Shea).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Even though Shea gets the credit, I'm still coming to terms with a sentence that includes "Robbie Rogers," "goal" and "Mexico" without the words "own" or "fall."

I came to terms with Conor Casey's two-goal showing in Honduras, though, so everything should be OK.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Honestly if we need to find a new victory cigar striker to replace Conor Casey, Robbie Rodgers isn't the worst replacement. At least he has a little pace.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
He certainly does have pace. That boy can run, he was past the two defenders and would have probably missed the shot, but he was fouled so we will never know. So great to see Shea out there, at 21, he is the future of the US attack, I think, along with Agudelo and Rogers. They bring excitement to the pitch that really feeds Landycakes and forces Landon to play his best. Beckerman was disappointing. I thought he would bring more to the team but he was just... invisible the whole game. Buddle was worthless. Jones out was a good choice but he might still have a place on the team as a reserve. Team looked great for having new faces and a new coach, in the second half. Jurgen will have his work cut out for him, but I think he can get this team pretty far if he is allowed to bring in who he wants and test everyone he can think of.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
INteresting you guys hating on Beckerman. Wahl and Klinsmann both cited Dreds as having had a fantastic game and making the difference out there.

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.

Jota posted:

I am becoming less of a fan of Jones the more I watch him
Deffo. I was so annoyed to see him out there at the start of the second half.

Beckerman actually looked really solid in his defense-heavy role, I thought.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

No strong feelings about Beckerman either way. No real mistakes worth nothing, seemed to do fairly well. Nothing particularly remarkable, I guess, but that's much better than being a gently caress-up. I'll take it.

Voted Alligator
Apr 13, 2005
shpoods
Really nice to see some changes that actually made a difference in the game, and not just in the 85th minute when it's too late for the subs to get established. Good to see some fresh new faces out there on the field as well. Hopefully a sign of bigger and better things to come. I will definitely take the tie considering the amount of time there was since Klinsmann took over. Want to see some more of Shea and Agudelo. Thought defensively we looked alright, at least in the 2nd half. Still need to work on our passing some more, but things look much much better than I remember them being in a long time. Like a breath of fresh air after almost drowning!

Really at this point is anybody surprised or disappointed by the terrible reffing or the equally terrible John Harkes? I usually have to mute the television after a while so I can actually watch the game instead of just yelling at the terrible, idiotic trash that comes out of his mouth. I was actually joking before the game with my family about the opposite of what John Harkes says is really what's going on in the game...

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
I'm ok with the non pk call. It was a PK, but that poo poo happens and refs miss poo poo. The non red call was pretty bad though, that was the textbook definition of last man back. I'm not buying the argument that the other defender was there, Rogers was loving GONE, he blew by everything. Kid can run.

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.
Mostly, I'm just sad I didn't end up seeing Robbie Rogers score a brace to beat Mexico.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

80085 posted:

I'm ok with the non pk call. It was a PK, but that poo poo happens and refs miss poo poo. The non red call was pretty bad though, that was the textbook definition of last man back. I'm not buying the argument that the other defender was there, Rogers was loving GONE, he blew by everything. Kid can run.

Maybe the ref saw that it was Robbie Rogers and figured it wasn't an obvious goal scoring opportunity?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

dkj posted:

I don't get why everyone is fawning over Mexico, they're not that good.
Yes. They are. At least in comparison to us.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
I thought Beckerman played very well. I like Torres and the way he plays but I also think he had an off game. Castillo's best attribute was not being Bornstein. Cherundolo and Bocanegra were the best Americans on the field for me. Jones was terrible. Donovan was poo poo the first half.

It was nice to see the impact the subs had but I'm afraid it was as much a product of Mexico's deletions as our additions.

I would say things are looking up though.

Nice goal post Brandy, but the hecho en Mexico picture was starkly out of place coming from you.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

JT Jag posted:

Honestly if we need to find a new victory cigar striker to replace Conor Casey, Robbie Rodgers isn't the worst replacement. At least he has a little pace.

Ah the memories. I'll never forget sitting at Crown & Anchor (The only place in the entire state of Nevada where the game could be viewed) and having both goals come just as I was explaining to the guy next to me that Casey is terrible.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Was Taters posted:

INteresting you guys hating on Beckerman. Wahl and Klinsmann both cited Dreds as having had a fantastic game and making the difference out there.

He wasn't awful, but what difference did he make? I just don't think he's good enough to be terribly useful at this level.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Popero posted:

He wasn't awful, but what difference did he make? I just don't think he's good enough to be terribly useful at this level.
I thought he played his role well; break up attacks and don't gently caress up too bad. It's academic, he loses his spot to Bradley when Holden returns.

Lowden Swain
Jul 11, 2006
can't hold his mud

Suqit posted:

I thought he played his role well; break up attacks and don't gently caress up too bad. It's academic, he loses his spot to Bradley when Holden returns.

True enough, he was slotted as a defensive midfielder, and that's what he did.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

cheese posted:

Harkes is such a gently caress nugget, its great to have him literally talking out of his rear end as the exact opposite of what he is saying comes true.

I just saw that clip of him immediately backpedaling after Shea sent in that cross, and Jesus is he a moron. I love how Darke just cuts him off and then he resumes talking with a "Shea did a good job..." What a piece of poo poo. Thankfully I was watching on Univision so I didn't have to listen to him.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Suqit posted:

I wouldn't bank on Bradley being a shoo-in. Beckerman is a guy who hardly ever makes a bad pass, hardly ever loses possession...and Bradley has a history of bad judgement.
He's not fast, he's not a scorer but he guides traffic and I think he reads the game better than Bradley. I think he fits Klinsman's approach.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Can we never play Torres on the wing again, please? He's so much more comfortable and effective in the center. Not sure he displaces Holden when he gets back, but he looks a nice option off the bench.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

We have one thousand options in central midfield, hilarious.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 123 days!

wicka posted:

We have one thousand options in central midfield, hilarious.

Your custom title. fuckin lol.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Wanted: one or two footballer(s) for the left (L) side of the pitch. Fame and beautiful women, plus first class travel for your million trips between the US and your European club. Contact: J. Klinsmann for further details.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Mr. Mambo posted:

I wouldn't bank on Bradley being a shoo-in. Beckerman is a guy who hardly ever makes a bad pass, hardly ever loses possession...and Bradley has a history of bad judgement.
He's not fast, he's not a scorer but he guides traffic and I think he reads the game better than Bradley. I think he fits Klinsman's approach.
Having to choose between the two is a problem I wish we had in more positions.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

80085 posted:

To be pedantic there is no textbook definition of last man back because there is no law of the game pertaining to the "last man." And this may explain why the ref didn't make the call. He thought he was being smart and says to himself that he's not going to give the red card because it's technically not a red card offense for the last man to foul a player. It's only a red card offense to deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity with a foul, and in this ref's opinion it was not an obvious goalscoring opportunity. He did give the yellow for the "professional foul"

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I think the ref just didn't want to punish people too harshly in a friendly. It would also explains why there we no cards in the scuffle earlier.

ReleasetheKracker!
Oct 8, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Yeah, it looks like what Beckerman is good at is possession. Controlling the ball, making a good pass to someone who isn't immediately under pressure, and being available to receive a pass.

It isn't spectacular but it is something we have been very poor at in the middle of the pitch.

So.. where are we lacking options and depth still? Just CB, right?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

ReleasetheKracker! posted:

Yeah, it looks like what Beckerman is good at is possession. Controlling the ball, making a good pass to someone who isn't immediately under pressure, and being available to receive a pass.

It isn't spectacular but it is something we have been very poor at in the middle of the pitch.

So.. where are we lacking options and depth still? Just CB, right?

Ya, just CB, and LB, and RB, and striker and...

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Tigren posted:

Ya, just CB, and LB, and RB, and striker and...

Well, technically we have some depth at RB (Cherundolo for the moment, Lichaj, and Chandler). Where we have absolutely none is definitely LB because it is Lichaj and then no one else. CB is going to be a tough one, too, but I think Boca can last long enough until we can blood a new guy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I have no confidence in the depth of our entire defensive line, particularly both fullback positions. Obviously leftback is a whirling dervish right now with no one having nailed down the starting spot, and Dolo will almost certainly not still be in the squad by 2014 so we need a replacement at RB (unless he transitions to CB, he could possibly provide depth there even at age 35 if he stays uninjured, stranger things have happened).

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

JT Jag posted:

I have no confidence in the depth of our entire defensive line, particularly both fullback positions.

They given us no reason why we should have confidence. I haven't seen Chandler play and am looking forward to the next two games, but I'm trying to not get my hopes up considering how self hyped Castillo was before that game.

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.
Zach Loyd can easily play LB or RB at the same level we have currently. It won't take him long to separate himself from the rest of the defenders.*

*Assuming he doesn't pull a Heath Pearce and pretend training isn't important

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
What? Training? Pish-posh, that is for losers. Everyone knows that games are what make a player good, not some crappy training sessions. Just look at the USA.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Was Taters posted:

INteresting you guys hating on Beckerman.

He has stupid loving hair that's big enough to fit his entire bong collection inside and that's why I hate on him.

But yes he played fairly well yesterday. There are worse options.

ReleasetheKracker!
Oct 8, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Uh, I think you'll find that the best players all have stupid hair which is also why I am optimistic about Brek Shea.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

ReleasetheKracker! posted:

Uh, I think you'll find that the best players all have stupid hair which is also why I am optimistic about Brek Shea.
Ah, the Carlos Valderrama ratio.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Valderrama's was a bit funny though and looked like it took some effort to maintain. Beckerman's looks like he hasn't had a wash in 15 years and that various insects and avifauna make their home among the ashes.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
So glad Freddy is going to be getting some regular playing time now.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

He's not a hero, he's not a savior, forget what you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

CubanMissile posted:

So glad Freddy is going to be getting some regular playing time now.

Oh, you meant in league play:
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6857261/freddy-adu-signs-philadelphia-union

• Locked thread