Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
Of all the things I hate about my 08 9-3, I've had 30,000 trouble free miles so far. I plan to get rid of it before 100k though. That's when the poo poo starts, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Four Banger posted:

(but seriously, do it.)

My heart says 'Gee, I bet I could find one who'd love me for me', but my wallet says 'You're already way past your credit line, Gramps'.

I'm just so fried on the multitude of problems that develop by the minute in old SAABs right now, anything that's from the last century can just bite my balls.

During working on it for the idling/dying issue, the following happened:
- IDM died
- Developed new electrical issues
- Master clutch cyl started to go out on me.

I'm just at the 'gently caress you, old pile of poo poo' stage - and the best part? A formerly-trusted ASE certified SAAB mech gave me the 'it's mechanically gold' seal of approval just about six months ago (I've been working on it for this poo poo since mid April).

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

Of all the things I hate about my 08 9-3, I've had 30,000 trouble free miles so far. I plan to get rid of it before 100k though. That's when the poo poo starts, right?

Other than being a squeaky, plastic pile of GM - it's a fine car as long as you pay attention to it. I'd consider dropping it right before the warranty expires, though.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 11, 2011

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

Viggen posted:

Other than being a squeaky, plastic pile of GM
Hey now. That may describe the interior, and the ride may blow dick, and it may have a crappy throttle delay, but it still has excellent handling and I like the engine. Plus it's really good looking and I got a great deal on it.

Still, I'll ditch it before 100k. That's when the powertrain warranty expires - the primary warranty dies at 40k. Oh god...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

Still, I'll ditch it before 100k. That's when the powertrain warranty expires - the primary warranty dies at 40k. Oh god...

That was my biggest gripe - the interior is so cheap and embarrassing when you compare the price of what you paid to, oh, a new A4..

On the other hand - my 2000 has almost 200k on it, and is still going nice and strong (until the exhaust manifold studs sheer themselves off). :smugdog:

bung
Dec 14, 2004

My wife has a 2004 9-3 Aero and I haven't had any luck finding a service manual. A local guy who works on Swedish cars told me that I could use a manual for the GM Ecotec 2 liter. Does this sound like a good route to take?

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

Viggen posted:

That was my biggest gripe - the interior is so cheap and embarrassing when you compare the price of what you paid to, oh, a new A4..

On the other hand - my 2000 has almost 200k on it, and is still going nice and strong (until the exhaust manifold studs sheer themselves off). :smugdog:
I actually had an A4 and an A6 before the 9-3 and I miss the interior every day. However, my 9-3 was $20k with 12k miles on the clock. New A4's start at 32k. Plus, my Audis were complete and total loving money sinks. In the last year I owned the A4, I poured easily $11k into it for repairs, way, way more than the car was worth. I don't know what reliability is like nowadays, but as soon as I have enough money, I plan on returning to the Four Rings.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

bung posted:

My wife has a 2004 9-3 Aero and I haven't had any luck finding a service manual. A local guy who works on Swedish cars told me that I could use a manual for the GM Ecotec 2 liter. Does this sound like a good route to take?

He's spot on. Since 2003 they've been on the Ecotec.

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

I don't know what reliability is like nowadays, but as soon as I have enough money, I plan on returning to the Four Rings.

I'm just hoping to hoard enough of these in various states that I don't need to make a decision when it comes to that. :cry:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
1999 9-3 Hatch: $3200

The wheels are a bit rashed and there's a huge crack in the windshield - which should be covered by any/most policies.. no clue why the guy didn't just fix it.

Considering offering him $2750 after giving it a good once over to replace the gently caress-off-and-die 9KT which is now officially out of my hair.

Then again..

2K2 9-3 SE Vert: $3900

117k on a 2K2, w/ current CA smog would be pretty easy to drive the extra couple hundred miles to SF and flip for $5-6k..

I'm sick. I need help.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Buy the convertible, it's a manual.

The only thing that puts me off those 9-3s is that with the Aero suspension and 17" wheels they seem to rattle like a biscuit tin on bad roads.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

The only thing that puts me off those 9-3s is that with the Aero suspension and 17" wheels they seem to rattle like a biscuit tin on bad roads.

I'm already missing the manual in the 9KT. It was fun. :smith:

The 9-3 'verts really do knock your teeth around when you're used to a cushy sedan. I'd have to be sure that I was going to flip it before the season was over; I don't really have anywhere to store it for the winter.

Just did the 'solder fix' on the orange 'not a relay' that was in the 2K. Works again. Gently gluing the base with a water proof-but-not-superglue adhesive, and wrote the 'refresh' date on it. Back to the working-old-parts bin with it!

localized
Mar 30, 2008
I would go for the '02. Have you looked at the '99? It says its an SE but it doesn't have the SE bodykit and it doesn't look like it has the badge. If the 'vert has the B205R then I would get that one.

My 900SE rattles like an angry bastard on everything but fresh pavement. It has new struts and springs on all four corners and even on high profile tires it rides like a goddamn ox cart. It doesn't help that something with my steering wheel is dicked that makes it squeak and knock like crazy...

If I didn't have to leave for school on Friday I would be all over this:

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/2548640822.html

I could have that thing on the road in a day..

localized fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 16, 2011

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

bung posted:

The service manual is a computer program called WIS (workshop information system), ask viggen where he got his legit copy... (needs xp with IE 6, windows 7 xp mode has that).

An ecotec manual should do you for the engine, as long as it includes the LK9 (only used on the 9-3, opel vectra and cadillac bls) but you'll want WIS for all the little things that you actually want to do.

astropika fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 16, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

localized posted:

I would go for the '02. Have you looked at the '99? It says its an SE but it doesn't have the SE bodykit and it doesn't look like it has the badge. If the 'vert has the B205R then I would get that one.

I VIN checked it, and it did come up as a 205R. However, I already have one of those. v:v:v

I noticed the stockishness and asked, but he hasn't admitted to any accidents - but I didn't really give it much more than a cursory once over when I was asked to join someone to look at a 9-3 (about 100% it's the same guy), since I decided it wasn't worth it when he was asking $4k for it (that one did have a correct turbo). It did have the badge on one side (if it's the one I saw), and I saw where the sticky tape was removed with a solvent that made the clear coat a little ugly where it was missing.

I did note he had a semi-recent DI in it, so it may be a case of the incredibly rare 'works on his own car' SAAB owner out here, but not too sure.

The '02 I may take a drive to see. I've asked for pictures of the engine bay - if it doesn't have PCV#6 on it, I doubt they're going to let me scope the oil, so that may just be a 'pass'.

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Viggen posted:

I VIN checked it, and it did come up as a 205R. However, I already have one of those. v:v:v

I noticed the stockishness and asked, but he hasn't admitted to any accidents - but I didn't really give it much more than a cursory once over when I was asked to join someone to look at a 9-3 (about 100% it's the same guy), since I decided it wasn't worth it when he was asking $4k for it (that one did have a correct turbo). It did have the badge on one side (if it's the one I saw), and I saw where the sticky tape was removed with a solvent that made the clear coat a little ugly where it was missing.

I did note he had a semi-recent DI in it, so it may be a case of the incredibly rare 'works on his own car' SAAB owner out here, but not too sure.

The '02 I may take a drive to see. I've asked for pictures of the engine bay - if it doesn't have PCV#6 on it, I doubt they're going to let me scope the oil, so that may just be a 'pass'.

I wouldnt even look at anything without the PCV#6 update. Is the '99 T5? If it is that would be a plus, as its less choked by emissions and the T5 motors didn't have the sludging problems that the later ones have. They also have stronger internals, if that's your thing.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

localized posted:

I wouldnt even look at anything without the PCV#6 update. Is the '99 T5? If it is that would be a plus, as its less choked by emissions and the T5 motors didn't have the sludging problems that the later ones have. They also have stronger internals, if that's your thing.

The '99 is T5.5/B204R. I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm being retarded.

However, after being bit by the B234 that was in 'awesome mechanical shape', I'm a bit gun shy of anything that isn't B205/B235. I know those two.

Edit: I bought the 2K 9-5 w/ PCV #3 on it; I updated it and replaced the turbo and it's been bulletproof. 180k+ and counting at 30+MPG. B235E though.. but it helps me appreciate the throatier turbos when I get the chance. :woop:

Just noticed that I tend to end statements on this forum with an emoticon. Hmm.

Edit2: 2K3 9-3 Linear, 84k w/ bad tranny - $2250

Wish I had a way to work on transmissions.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 17, 2011

localized
Mar 30, 2008

Viggen posted:

Wish I had a way to work on transmissions.

Do the 9-3ss use the same trans as the other ecotec cars?

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

localized posted:

Do the 9-3ss use the same trans as the other ecotec cars?

It depends which one.

The 5 speed manual is an F35, used on a lot of saabs from the 9000 on, also chevy cobalt ss etc (slight differences though).

The 6 speed manual is an F40 used only on the 9-3, 9-5, the pontiac G6 and maybe some vectras?

The 5 speed auto is the AF33/AW55-50SN, used pretty widely by volvo, nissan, gm etc. people tend to use Toyota type IV atf.

The 6 speed auto is an Aisin-warner AWTF-80, also known as an AF40-6 amongst other things, pretty widely used by gm, ford, mazda and others. Uses special fancy mineral oil transmission fluid called AW-1, allegedly explodes with normal stuff.

edit: To directly answer your question, some cars with ecotec (family II) engines sold in the US do share transmissions with saabs, but they can also have more common US auto transmissions like a 4T45 or a 6T40.

Ecotec doesn't mean much, it's a brand name that covers 7 completely different series of engines, and family II engines have been mated to all manner of transmissions.

astropika fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 17, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Beaten, and with a better answer.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 17, 2011

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Touch up paint on a 12 year old car looks like poo poo when it's more than a 1mmx1mm bit of paint.

I don't give no shits. 2K can be bi-tonal (at random bits) until I get sick of being cast dirty glares and buy some #0000000000 grit to bring it down so I can apply the clear coat. :haw:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Some rear end in a top hat hit our 9-3 with a rock.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
My '98 900SE Turbo's alternator spit the bit. I looked up the procedure on Alldata and the replacement doesn't look too brutal, but I've never done it. Is this doable in a driveway with jackstands? Any tricks I should know?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Faerunner posted:

Some rear end in a top hat hit our 9-3 with a rock.

The plastic's hosed, but that damage won't be too bad to gently push out and touch up. I had a nice little dent in nearly the same spot. Just had to remove the plastic, give it a little push, and a touch of paint.

Paint's back to $19 at Shaw. It's a bit cheaper/more expensive at TSS. It's also a bitch to get it to look right. I'm going to have to sand it this weekend, it looks awful since it's impossible to 'blend' with a fingernail polish wand. I mostly wanted to cover the exposed spots so it did not rust, but it looks BAD.

The_Raven posted:

My '98 900SE Turbo's alternator spit the bit. I looked up the procedure on Alldata and the replacement doesn't look too brutal, but I've never done it. Is this doable in a driveway with jackstands? Any tricks I should know?

This is for the '98 9-3, but it's essentially the same thing unless you have a magical diesel. Oddly, I've never done it either, but according to the WIS way, it still doesn't seem too difficult.. Stick it up, take off the tire, move the cat, tug, replace.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
I think the main problem with replacing the alternator comes in removing the tensioner, although I have never had to do it myself, so take my advice with a grain if salt. I have heard of people having good results with grinding the alternator brackets to make installation easier.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

localized posted:

I think the main problem with replacing the alternator comes in removing the tensioner, although I have never had to do it myself, so take my advice with a grain if salt. I have heard of people having good results with grinding the alternator brackets to make installation easier.

Yeah, same here. The 2.3T aint THAT big of a deal, but the 2.0? Not a loving clue.

Also, if anyone wants to buy any refurbed/rehabbed "orange relays", let me know, I'll offer an SA premium discount ($30 w/ core return). I plan on rehabbing these guys for a supplement to make ends meet - hopefully.

Of course, anyone in AI probably has two butter knives and a soldering iron to do it themselves, but I'll offer a 2 year warranty on the repair.. if it breaks, send it back and I'll fix it for free (excepting shipping).

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I got all the orange relays I'll ever need last time I went to pick n' pull for $7. Walked in with 0, walked out with 5.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

I got all the orange relays I'll ever need last time I went to pick n' pull for $7. Walked in with 0, walked out with 5.

Good for you! :hfive:

Cores cost me nearly twenty bucks here for a 'not a mangled pile of poo poo', but I figure with the gentle margin I offer, if I get one that's been doused in gasoline, I can afford to eat the difference for a core.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Holy crap dude, you're getting screwed on that part. :(

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

Holy crap dude, you're getting screwed on that part. :(

I live in a state with virtually NO SAABs. Maybe I can become a local refurb/used parts pimp. Yeah I got whatchew want..

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

The_Raven posted:

The allen bolts can be stuck pretty good; I've heard of some people that have broken them or ruined the head. The threads are on the far end.

The alternator itself can be sort of wedged in the bracket too thanks to corrosion (pain points highlighted in red). Have a prybar or similar handy to help work it out of the bracket. It might help to clean up the surfaces when installing the new one too.

You'll probably have to swap the existing pulley onto the new unit as well, but I don't recall any issues doing that.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Since my '91 was a dud, I might as well go back to '89, right!? Right!?

Seller contacted me directly. Selling this beautiful 1989 900T (3 speed auto, boo, will need to figure what to do with that) for a song and a half. Going to take a better look at it up on the rack later this week.. :haw:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Well I got a big boy job, so I'm now very interested in selling my 1999 Saab 9-3 base with 82k miles on it and purchasing a c900. I found this one locally:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/2555924647.html

From the pictures she sent me, everything looks fine on the exterior. No images of the interior. Only problem is she want $5,000 which seems insane to me. Headliner is sagging. What do you guys think I should offer?

Also, I want to sell my current car. There are no mechanical issues, everything works just fine. Blue book says it's worth 2,100 in fair condition which seems low to me. It's a little beat up on the outside; the front bumper has a big dent in it and there are scratches from the usual use a car sees in 12 years. I was thinking of putting it up for $3,000, does that sound reasonable?

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
FYI on the alternator replacement... I ended up bringing it to my (non-Saab specific) mechanic, who was not amused but got it done. I never could have done it, especially given that he needed a 20-ton press to get the pulley off the shaft. Only cost me $150 in labor, which by Saab standards is practically a freebie. Thanks to everyone for the assistance, though!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Karl Barks posted:

From the pictures she sent me, everything looks fine on the exterior. No images of the interior. Only problem is she want $5,000 which seems insane to me. Headliner is sagging. What do you guys think I should offer?

That one looks drat nice. $5k, though, is a bit high. How many miles? All service records? Having the 5 speed is awesome, though. Saw one in this shape with only 26,000 miles on it, and the guy sold it on SaabNet for something like $12,000. Insane.

The_Raven posted:

Only cost me $150 in labor, which by Saab standards is practically a freebie. Thanks to everyone for the assistance, though!

That's a single OEM indicator plastic panel, if you want to look at it that way - or a repaired SID (with core returned).

I decided that having a third of the cash I used to make wasn't enough, and pulled the trigger on yet another smart (dumb) impulse purchase:

Holy crap, it has a whopping 130k miles:

That awesome 1980s cassette player with the fiddly little amp:

Under the seat covers (still nice and pretty):

OH GOD LOOK HOW ABUSED THIS CAR IS! THIS IS GONNA COST ME $10 TO $20 :cry: :

I am considering making a really bad 'deal with it dog' head to wear while coasting around in this:

.. or just some huge gently caress-off 80s Aviators.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Karl Barks posted:

The problem is retail booking software only goes back 20 years anything older than that, you'd have to refer to the classic guide which we no longer subscribe to because we don't buy 20+ year old cars for retail anyway. That said, the furthest back Karpower goes is 1991 and for the exact same model in 1991 without taking miles into account (neutral miles), that car books for $1,985 retail. It really depends on how many miles though.. Its RETAIL price goes from $1,935 - $3100. A private party would be lucky to get $2500.. Unless its for sale on Saabcentral or something like that where people whack off to pictures of Saabs and talk about how they're more into Saabs than the next guy.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

Unless its for sale on Saabcentral or something like that where people whack off to pictures of Saabs and talk about how they're more into Saabs than the next guy.

SaabNet.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Viggen posted:

I am considering making a really bad 'deal with it dog' head to wear while coasting around in this:

.. or just some huge gently caress-off 80s Aviators.

man.. a white convertible 900 with tan leather interior, my dream car. I have an 89 c900, but it's gray and the leather is torn on the seat on the driver's side. Fantastic buy man.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

man.. a white convertible 900 with tan leather interior, my dream car. I have an 89 c900, but it's gray and the leather is torn on the seat on the driver's side. Fantastic buy man.

It's a three speed auto, though. Passes smog in CA (!), NV, et al... considering doing a 5 speed and selling the 2K1, but, I don't know.. I need somewhere to build more drat garages!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

SaabNet.

Haha, yeah. Take your pick between the two.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

Haha, yeah. Take your pick between the two.

It's a shame that there are so many half-assed resources for SAAB related stuff, and each one has their own subset of idiocy.

FWIW, Nada puts that 87 at low retail of $3100. :effort:

Edit: Picked up the 89T. Oh my god the paint, the paint is so glossy it makes my 2K looks like a real turd parked next to it. Interior is a little dusty, but pristine!

If it was a 5 speed, I'd consider replacing my 93 with it. Since it's a 3 speed auto, it's likely getting passed through the family like mono, or herpes. :haw:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Karl Barks posted:

Well I got a big boy job, so I'm now very interested in selling my 1999 Saab 9-3 base with 82k miles on it and purchasing a c900. I found this one locally:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/2555924647.html

Also, I want to sell my current car. There are no mechanical issues, everything works just fine. Blue book says it's worth 2,100 in fair condition which seems low to me. It's a little beat up on the outside; the front bumper has a big dent in it and there are scratches from the usual use a car sees in 12 years. I was thinking of putting it up for $3,000, does that sound reasonable?

I'm pretty sure I saw this car parked on the lawn of a house on the northbound on-ramp that parallels the Lynnfield tunnel. I'll have a look on the way home tonight.