Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

air- posted:

I keep having to reapply my widgets on every CM7 nightly I install since it shows "Problem displaying widget". It's a minor annoyance, but is this happening to anyone else?

Move them to internal storage perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
My Galaxy S had SuperOneClick root working fine for a while, then all of a sudden applications like Titanium Backup are telling me they can't get root access. I tried redoing SuperOneClick to no dice. Any ideas?

edit: nevermind, working now that I rebooted.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 10, 2011

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

air- posted:

I keep having to reapply my widgets on every CM7 nightly I install since it shows "Problem displaying widget". It's a minor annoyance, but is this happening to anyone else?

Using LPP?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

blargle posted:

Anyone know how long until there's a usable CM7 for Evo 3D?

I'm going to pick up a Evo 3D from Rogers tomorrow and apparently that puts me in a worse boat because the Evo 3D GSM has been out for less than week, but there is that video of CM7 running on a CDMA Evo 3D and a Cyanogenmod dev has picked one up so I'd say that you'd be looking at a port within a month or less.

Of course this probably means I'll be getting a janky CM7 CDMA -> GSM port by ~ViperAnimeFontSuperROM~ developers but c'est la vie

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

air- posted:

This usually happens because either the launcher or the app displaying the widgets are installed to the SD card.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Would anyone be willing to link or type out a quick how-to on editing the build.prop to change the pixel density? My Google-fu is weak today.

This is for a Nexus S and what I read says to go from 240 to 200. I found some apps to do it temporarily but if she likes it I'd have to make it permanent.

Also, does anyone have experience with the radios on a Nexus S (9020T)? I see in this guide of sorts that I need to modify the build.prop to enable HSDPA reception (I don't have the device in front of me to see what radio it's on but it definitely only ever connects with UTMS). Wondering if it's worth it.

Will I have to make the build.prop modifications after every flash? The CM7 nightlies seem pretty unstable so she's on 7.1RC1 right now but that might not last if she gets sick of the random reboots.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Will I have to make the build.prop modifications after every flash?
Yes.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

nimper/kim jong il/maker of shoes: None of the apps with widgets are on SD, they are all on phone memory and I am using LPP.

fake edit: Oh wait, saw LPP is on the SD card. Not sure how the hell that happened, but thanks!

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I'm thinking of rooting my Desire, and for the most part I think I can pull it off, despite not being super tech savvy, but I was wondering if there's anything I should worry about doing, that might be more likely to gently caress up my phone?

I mainly want to fix memory and battery issues with the root.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
Miui on the droid x is an awesome rom, but wow does the battery life blow. Some roms are a lot better than others for helping save your battery.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Are there any free alternatives to Root Explorer?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

burritonegro posted:

Are there any free alternatives to Root Explorer?

File Expert

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Estrongs does root file management too.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Estrongs does root file management too.

Only for certain kernels. I couldn't get it to work properly on my X, but File Expert works fine.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Only for certain kernels. I couldn't get it to work properly on my X, but File Expert works fine.

Um your kernel shouldn't have anything at all to do with file management like that. It works fine on stock kernels even.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Weird. Before I left Galaxy S romland for CM7 (and later MIUI), only Super Manager worked for me.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Um your kernel shouldn't have anything at all to do with file management like that. It works fine on stock kernels even.

Oh hey they've updated it and it works for me now! There used to be a place where you chose which kernel or ROM base or something that you were using. The options were CyanogenMod and something else. If I picked CM it put underscores at the beginning of all the displayed filenames and couldn't rename or delete or anything. If I picked the other one it wouldn't show anything. The options are gone now and it works perfectly!

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
If you have CM7 and Tasker, consider checking out This Tasker profile which can auto-update your nightly version. No Rom Manager Premium necessary.

It doesn't work currently for Droid X roms because CM lists the page under "cdma_shadow" and the zip under just "shadow" but there's a quick fix if you can edit the .sh script - Find the part that displays the MD5 mismatch error and remove "exit 3"

I modified the script to also install the CM4DXfix as well, so I wake up every morning to a fresh, working CM7 nightly.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I'm thinking of rooting my Desire, and for the most part I think I can pull it off, despite not being super tech savvy, but I was wondering if there's anything I should worry about doing, that might be more likely to gently caress up my phone?

I mainly want to fix memory and battery issues with the root.

Well if you follow a guide like this: http://theunlockr.com/2010/09/20/how-to-root-the-htc-desire-unrevoked-method/

It's literally one of the easiest phones to root and you would have to be incapable of signing up for a SA account to gently caress it up.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So I just had to get a new Evo 4G through TEP, and it seems there's no root for the newest firmware/software? (4.24.651.1)?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Eej posted:

Well if you follow a guide like this: http://theunlockr.com/2010/09/20/how-to-root-the-htc-desire-unrevoked-method/

It's literally one of the easiest phones to root and you would have to be incapable of signing up for a SA account to gently caress it up.

Awesome, thanks

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Is it okay to flash older CyanogenMod builds without doing a full wipe? I'm on a nightly right now, but I'm thinking I might rather just flash RC1, which is older, but potentially more stable. Could I just flash that over the top of my nightly, or is going backwards asking for trouble?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

brc64 posted:

Is it okay to flash older CyanogenMod builds without doing a full wipe? I'm on a nightly right now, but I'm thinking I might rather just flash RC1, which is older, but potentially more stable. Could I just flash that over the top of my nightly, or is going backwards asking for trouble?

Ive done it without any glaring issues.. but always plan for the worse and nandroid/tb your stuff.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

DrBouvenstein posted:

So I just had to get a new Evo 4G through TEP, and it seems there's no root for the newest firmware/software? (4.24.651.1)?

Do what I did, and sell it back to Sprint once you are eligible for their latest 'new contract and new phone' time (new every 2, or that new 18 month thing for good customers), for $150, and get the 3D for $200. Which is a better phone, and rootable. At $50.

If you aren't up anytime soon, then.. well.. gently caress.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

DrBouvenstein posted:

That would be correct... I'm a little surprised it's taking so long

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

godzirraRAWR posted:

Do what I did, and sell it back to Sprint once you are eligible for their latest 'new contract and new phone' time (new every 2, or that new 18 month thing for good customers), for $150, and get the 3D for $200. Which is a better phone, and rootable. At $50.

If you aren't up anytime soon, then.. well.. gently caress.

I'm a year away from that, so I'd like to think someone will find a way to root it before then...but yargh, despite the thread title of the main Android thread, I'll go ahead and say drat you, HTC!

Say what you will about Samsung phones (which was my last one,) at least they didn't give two fucks about locking them down in anyway.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

datajosh posted:

That would be correct... I'm a little surprised it's taking so long
See my comments a few months ago about how "the days of timely one-click roots are over." It's a different game with Gingerbread folks.

My hope is that the Fre3vo exploit fundamentally works on the Evo, and just needs to be tweaked for it, since I think temp-root is really the missing link here. Perhaps when revolutionary comes out of beta it will have support for older devices.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I am also waiting to root my updated Evo 4G :(

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.
Alright so, I have an old Samsung Vibrant on T-mobile that has Axura 2.3.1.3 on it and I want to get it updated to whatever the new hotness is for this phone. I'm going to have to start using it as a daily phone again, I thought it would be quicker to ask than to read 1000+ pages since I last looked at this thread. If there is a new rom available, (maybe CM?) do I have to do anything special coming from Axura or can I just wipe and flash? Thanks!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

woodhead posted:

Alright so, I have an old Samsung Vibrant on T-mobile that has Axura 2.3.1.3 on it and I want to get it updated to whatever the new hotness is for this phone. I'm going to have to start using it as a daily phone again, I thought it would be quicker to ask than to read 1000+ pages since I last looked at this thread. If there is a new rom available, (maybe CM?) do I have to do anything special coming from Axura or can I just wipe and flash? Thanks!

I'm on the newest version of miui on my vibrant at the moment and its pretty awesome. Its pretty fast and the battery is decent but you'll need a separate launcher because in my opinion the launcher it had its loving horrible. I was using CM7 before and it was awesome as well but it killed my battery for some reason

TontoCorazon fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 12, 2011

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm on the newest version of miui on my vibrant at the moment and its pretty awesome. Its pretty fast and the battery is decent but you'll need a separate launcher because in my opinion the launcher it had its loving horrible. I was using CM7 before and it was awesome as well but it killed my battery for some reason

The nightlies of the past few weeks have had really good battery life.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Running the CM7 nightly from Monday my DX was dead by 1:30 after taking it off the charger around 8:00am. I'm fairly certain I used most of it up trying to dl an album that kept dying, but other than that it was normal use and about an hour of MP3 playing. Nothing that would have have wiped it before.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

highme posted:

Running the CM7 nightly from Monday my DX was dead by 1:30 after taking it off the charger around 8:00am. I'm fairly certain I used most of it up trying to dl an album that kept dying, but other than that it was normal use and about an hour of MP3 playing. Nothing that would have have wiped it before.

I've been installing every 3rd or so nightly on my X and usually get home from work around 45-60% depending on how much I've used it there. Really haven't had any issues with battery life at all. It's crazy how all over board battery life seems to be with all these ROMs.

Have you tried using battery calibration app?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&feature=search_result

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.

quadratic posted:

The nightlies of the past few weeks have had really good battery life.

Thanks guys, do any of these have wifi calling? If not can I install the apk manually? I need it where I work. Also what about GPS?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

woodhead posted:

Thanks guys, do any of these have wifi calling? If not can I install the apk manually? I need it where I work. Also what about GPS?

Wifi calling doesn't work.

GPS is only semi-working. Don't use CM7/MIUI if you really need it. Although if you really need GPS you probably shouldn't be using the Vibrant at all.

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.

quadratic posted:

Wifi calling doesn't work.

GPS is only semi-working. Don't use CM7/MIUI if you really need it. Although if you really need GPS you probably shouldn't be using the Vibrant at all.

Yea I'm not really worried about GPS. I do need wifi calling however. Are there ANY current roms that it will work with? It was working with my old Axura rom.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

woodhead posted:

Yea I'm not really worried about GPS. I do need wifi calling however. Are there ANY current roms that it will work with? It was working with my old Axura rom.

I think it works on most of the 2.2 ROMs out. I've not used it myself, but I've heard that Project V is decent.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I actually don't mind the MIUI launcher. I just wish pressing home while on the home screen would pop up a preview of all screens. Instead you have to click Menu -> Preview.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

rotaryfun posted:

I've been installing every 3rd or so nightly on my X and usually get home from work around 45-60% depending on how much I've used it there. Really haven't had any issues with battery life at all. It's crazy how all over board battery life seems to be with all these ROMs.

Have you tried using battery calibration app?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&feature=search_result

I was sitting at about 50-60% yesterday after 12 hours of on time with CM7 on my DX. Still not sure if the battery life is as good as Liberty yet, but it's been more than enough to get me through the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBall
Jul 1, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with creating Stock AOSP ROMs from a phone that uses Sense? How difficult/time consuming is it? Im on an HTC Merge with s-off and recovery and almost no ROMs are out right now.