Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Honestly the whole 3 day work week thing would be more palatable if they were doing amazing radio each day. The show is just awful now. I have never listened to Imus but I wouldn't be surprised if that show was more engaging and entertaining that the Stern show now. What was up with the Stern look alike on the air. It is a RADIO show, having some guy who LOOKS like Howard on the air is not good RADIO.

It seems that more and more of the content is being made for that awful Howard TV that like 5 people subscribe too and not many more even bother to pirate. And let's be perfectly honest the content created for TV is not that good either.

I think it is obvious that Howard has basically checked out. I think he fully intended to retire at the end of the last contract and Sirius basically gave him anything he wanted to stay in some way on the service, coupled with a entirely too large of a staff who 99% have no career after he is gone made his resign. He is now in a place where he doesn't feel like he has to give the audience the same level of quality of entertainment and is doing as little as possible to get through it. We are already starting to see the first signs of people jumping ship, which I think after the end of the year we will see more.

We are basically seeing the show limping to the end and it will just be more and more depressing as it goes on. But of course you will have Del'Abooey on the TWUS everyday saying "I think today's show was great! What do you do for a living?"

Speaking of, I can't wait for the day the show ends and Toothy is unemployed for someone to walk up to him and ask "What do you do for a living?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Djarum posted:

Honestly the whole 3 day work week thing would be more palatable if they were doing amazing radio each day. The show is just awful now. I have never listened to Imus but I wouldn't be surprised if that show was more engaging and entertaining that the Stern show now. What was up with the Stern look alike on the air. It is a RADIO show, having some guy who LOOKS like Howard on the air is not good RADIO.

It seems that more and more of the content is being made for that awful Howard TV that like 5 people subscribe too and not many more even bother to pirate. And let's be perfectly honest the content created for TV is not that good either.

I think it is obvious that Howard has basically checked out. I think he fully intended to retire at the end of the last contract and Sirius basically gave him anything he wanted to stay in some way on the service, coupled with a entirely too large of a staff who 99% have no career after he is gone made his resign. He is now in a place where he doesn't feel like he has to give the audience the same level of quality of entertainment and is doing as little as possible to get through it. We are already starting to see the first signs of people jumping ship, which I think after the end of the year we will see more.

We are basically seeing the show limping to the end and it will just be more and more depressing as it goes on. But of course you will have Del'Abooey on the TWUS everyday saying "I think today's show was great! What do you do for a living?"

Speaking of, I can't wait for the day the show ends and Toothy is unemployed for someone to walk up to him and ask "What do you do for a living?"

How long would it take for him to commit suicide?

Wait, this is Booey we're talking.

How long would it take for him to try to commit suicide, fail, and then be mocked into it again?

That said, Howard should have just gone for a weekly show. Skip the pretense and just do one long show, then go back home.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Pretty sure Gary, Fred, Robin and Howard never have to work again if they wanted.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

AxeManiac posted:

Pretty sure Gary, Fred, Robin and Howard never have to work again if they wanted.

I am pretty sure that the last time this came up (towards the end of 2010 before they re-signed) both Gary and Fred said they "had" to work.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Gary having to dress up as Techo Beaver proves he does not have enough money to retire.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
What the christing poo poo gently caress??

You have 30 years of shows in the bank and you play a repeat from 72 hours ago? Awesome programming, Sabean.

They could literally play any show from any thursday ever with zero editing aside from changing the commercials and it would be better than this choice.

:argh: And why does Marksfriggin' say it's This Date in Howard History? Because I sure didn't get that on my recording on the prime channel from 6am Eastern Time.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Bonzo posted:

Gary having to dress up as Techo Beaver proves he does not have enough money to retire.

It never, ever gets old.

Everything is low budget. Everything.

WORKS ON TARMACS

Joe 30330 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 11, 2011

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Kelly posted:

I am pretty sure that the last time this came up (towards the end of 2010 before they re-signed) both Gary and Fred said they "had" to work.

I dunno, I still think they could retire after 30 some odd years of suckling off Howard. People who work any normal jobs can do that most of the time. If they invested or saved up. JD will be homeless.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

What the christing poo poo gently caress??

You have 30 years of shows in the bank and you play a repeat from 72 hours ago? Awesome programming, Sabean.

They could literally play any show from any thursday ever with zero editing aside from changing the commercials and it would be better than this choice.

:argh: And why does Marksfriggin' say it's This Date in Howard History? Because I sure didn't get that on my recording on the prime channel from 6am Eastern Time.

The screen information online and in my car had the information up like it was a regular day.

AxeManiac posted:

I dunno, I still think they could retire after 30 some odd years of suckling off Howard. People who work any normal jobs can do that most of the time. If they invested or saved up. JD will be homeless.

Fred and Gary still have young kids, maybe that is part of it.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I think Fred and Gary only "have" to work if they want to continue at their current standard of living. Let's not forget Gary's house that he had built in Old Greenwich, Connecticut. Seriously, his house is enormous..

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Millstone posted:

It never, ever gets old.

Everything is low budget. Everything.

WORKS ON TARMACS

I have issues with my father as it is. If I had to grow up with seeing my dad wear this on TV and be berated publically by his boss at least once a week I would have killed myself already. Or become a Juggalo.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Kelly posted:

Fred and Gary still have young kids, maybe that is part of it.

They also probably have a skewed view of "enough" being around Howard and Robin. They probably need to work to support an extremely expensive monthly budget. (family living decent in NY is stupid expensive). I'd be floored if gary is making less than 300k.

E: heavy liquid, exactly my point.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 11, 2011

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Does Fred live in the city?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

-Atom- posted:

Does Fred live in the city?

Did some digging on Fred...

Fred lives in a Trump building on the West Side - The multi-building Riverside South development on the Hudson River.

In September 2007, Fred purchased an apartment in the 16 building Riverside South development on the Hudson River for $2.53M. He has a $1.43M mortgage, meaning he put $1.1M down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_Place

He sold his apartment on 330 West 72nd Street in August 2007 for $2.395M.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

heavy liquid posted:

He sold his apartment on 330 West 72nd Street in August 2007 for $2.395M.

Unless he plans on buying his kid a college he should be fine in life.

I guess it is a New York thing, but I'd go insane living in an apartment and paying almost 3 million for it. How do rich people do that? Wouldn't you want a nice home? I have no idea how that works, living in an apartment. I'm sure it is nice and huge and fancy, but still, apartments seem so not like a home to me.

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 11, 2011

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

I guess it is a New York thing, but I'd go insane living in an apartment and paying almost 3 million for it. How do rich people do that? Wouldn't you want a nice home? I have no idea how that works, living in an apartment. I'm sure it is nice and huge and fancy, but still, apartments seem so not like a home to me.

Cost of living I guess. In the town in the US where I grew up you can get a decent 3 bedroom, 2 storey house in a nice suburb for about 180k.

That same house in Southwestern Ontario? 350-400k depending on how close you are to Toronto.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

It's not a home, it's an investment.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Cost of living I guess. In the town in the US where I grew up you can get a decent 3 bedroom, 2 storey house in a nice suburb for about 180k.

That same house in Southwestern Ontario? 350-400k depending on how close you are to Toronto.

Location, location, location. It's all about where the house (or apartment) is.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

AxeManiac posted:

I don't get this, either. I need my privacy. Unless I get a mega-huge apartment where an entire floor or two is my own I'd still feel like I'm in college. Who the hell wants to live packed in like that? Right now I live by myself in a modest 3/2(although eventually my girl will fully move in) and the solitary nature is glorious. I even have great neighbors but there's nothing like being able to shut it down at night and hearing nothing but some crickets, not the roar of traffic or some jerkoff playing COD at 2 in the morning.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Djarum posted:

Did you hate the E show too? What's the difference?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I wonder if Fred just takes a loss on his music hobby for passionate purposes.

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts

Crotch Bat posted:

I don't get this, either. I need my privacy. Unless I get a mega-huge apartment where an entire floor or two is my own I'd still feel like I'm in college. Who the hell wants to live packed in like that? Right now I live by myself in a modest 3/2(although eventually my girl will fully move in) and the solitary nature is glorious. I even have great neighbors but there's nothing like being able to shut it down at night and hearing nothing but some crickets, not the roar of traffic or some jerkoff playing COD at 2 in the morning.

Some people like not having to have a car, not having to drive 20 minutes to do something, having public transportation available.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

burmart posted:

Some people like not having to have a car, not having to drive 20 minutes to do something, having public transportation available.

This is true, but New York City is still the worst big city. I'd pick almost any other "no car needed" city over NYC.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Corbet posted:

This is true, but New York City is still the worst big city. I'd pick almost any other "no car needed" city over NYC.

I feel the exact opposite. If were to live without a car, the only place I'd want to live is in Manhattan.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I feel the exact opposite. If were to live without a car, the only place I'd want to live is in Manhattan.

Seriously...this is exactly how I feel. I have a good friend who lives in Dallas (which is a beautiful city) but all I could think when I was there was I couldn't live there without a car.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Fred has said before that most of his money is tied up in real estate and not liquid.
I think he has mentioned before he also has a house in the Hamptons.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

heavy liquid posted:

Location, location, location. It's all about where the house (or apartment) is.

Oh, I get costs, I live in LA where I would need to be a millionaire myself to buy a dinky home. I just don't get sending that much for a shelf in a high rise. I just think apartments are the things you have until you get a home. I imagine it's a standard New York thing where the only places are high rise buildings.

Yeah, Fred I imagine invested wisely, he has money in safe things. I'm sure Gary has a nice house with a ton of USB powered stools or something.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

Corbet posted:

Not to derail further, but in the US most cities require cars. Most American cities only blew up after WWII, which is when we shifted to automobiles as our primary form of transport. The few that really make it easy to get around carless -- New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, a couple of others -- did so because they were big cities before cars, therefore they had to. Someone else pointed out Dallas, and yeah that city's hard to navigate without a car. Just try it in Miami or Los Angeles, I promise it'll take you hours to get anywhere.

I would've swore that Fred also mentioned having a house in Connecticut -- maybe in Greenwich too, which I think is the next town over from Gary.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, Fred I imagine invested wisely, he has money in safe things.

I thought Fred lost a ton of dough in bad real estate deals like malls and plazas?

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Kelly posted:

I've turned into one of those annoying fans who yells at Howard on Twitter. Totally pointless, but very cathartic.

Hey gently caress it, you should. The more people bitching the better. I might do the same.

Unfortunately, Howard has addressed all this and will not budge. He's almost as bad as eric the poo poo-cock.

Btw, him and Fratto on was a good segment, and I really liked the Dave Navarro interview. I used to think he was a little fruity but he's into documentaries and poo poo and came off as very down to earth.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Djarum posted:

I agree with you on all points.

That being said, that the show is basically being phoned in, Howard has four and a half more years. Now my question is, will he get a second wind? Will he fill Arties chair in some way?

I'm holding out a little hope here. Even at phoning it in, Howard has to snap back into gear and get something going right?

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I hope he realizes his life isn't as fascinating as he thinks and he gets someone funny in the studio with him, but he's really childish and maybe doesn't want to admit the show sucks now by doing that.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't mean this in a disapproving way but every single one of us has become so bitter towards this show now. We're basically the stereotype of that famous quote from the movie "people who say they hate Stern listen to him ninety minutes a day..."

Even though I unsubscribed pretty much immediately after Artie left I can't help but read this thread almost every single day. When Howard retires it would mean the death of this thread and I don't know where I'd go to get my guilty pleasures :ohdear:

Dare I say SFN? That said, if Howard died or quit tomorrow would SFN still be around for another 10 years at least?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Evil Agita posted:

I hope he realizes his life isn't as fascinating as he thinks and he gets someone funny in the studio with him, but he's really childish and maybe doesn't want to admit the show sucks now by doing that.

Yeah, I liked the Howard Stern Show back when it literally wasn't just a show about Howard Stern.

Artie and the whack-packers are what hooked me on the show, and my interest went with them.

I would stop listening to the show, but since Sirius was too stunned to actually deactivate my radio when I canceled, I figure I might as well ride it out until the end.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Vakal posted:

might as well ride it out until the end.

And we all will.

Five more years of complaining.

Love to hate it and hating loving it.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
I still love the show. Sure, it might not be as good as 2004-2007, but it's still massively entertaining, especially when compared to other radio shows. If you guys hate it so much just quit listening and stop BOTHERING ME!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, I can't find anything better to listen to, which is why I'm always upset. Opie and Anthony... ugh, just talk radio horse poo poo. Adam is funny enough, but he is too stand up for my taste, like he is a character or something. I can't find any podcast to replace it, I just don't care about anyone else yammering on like I do with Stern.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Former Human posted:

Did you hate the E show too? What's the difference?

The E! Show was a entirely different beast than Howard TV. For one they only had to create at most 2.5 hours of new content a week and most of the time they didn't really do that. It was more organic as they were just filming what was going on in the studio. Over the years they did start to worry more about having a visual element to all the radio bits but the audio presentation always came first. This has changed completely for Howard TV, where it is a television bit and they are just playing the audio on the radio.

Also most the good talent that worked on the E! show left before the transition to Howard TV. Look at who you have working there, do you honestly think that any of them could or would have jobs in television anywhere else? There is a reason why they didn't leave, it is because they couldn't.

nurall
May 4, 2005

hey hows it going

Millstone posted:

Time to load up your iPod brother

My SIRIUS Canada subscription is up for renewal, and this time when I call to "cancel" to get the best rate, I'm going to hardball them down to the lowest price possible and not really care if I do get cancelled.

i tried to cancel today.
they wouldn't let me.
they gave me 2mos free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Howard Stern explains the Internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5gwlEvOnlo