Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sleepness posted:

Thanks movax. I decided to bite the bullet and buy it. Can you expand a little bit on what you mean by GPU scaling and what it does? When I owned my U2711 I never changed any settings within my nVidia control panel.

Hell yeah U3011 buddy :hfive:

Since I own a mid-range card (460 1GB), there are a few titles I prefer to play at a slightly lower resolution with eye candy maxed. Rather than having the display scale this, in the nvidia control panel applet (I forget the exact location in it), you can choose between "Use my display's built-in scaling", "Use my GPU scaling", "No Scaling". Choosing the second option causes the GPU to take care of scaling the image to the native resolution of the monitor; the first will output whatever resolution and let the display scale, the third will do something akin to 1:1 pixel mapping where you get a black border around the frame.

The GPU will happily scale your image with less lag than the U3011 itself will (I think it's mostly "free" in terms of GPU hardware/resources). So you can play titles @ 1920x1200 and let the GPU scale it to 2560x1600 instead of making the display scale from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Oh ok, thanks. I don't think I'll run into that problem with my setup.

On the same note, when you do downscale it, how does it look on the U3011? With my U2711, when I downgraded resolutions (always through ingame options - never through GPU scaling), it looked pretty terrible.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I have a 3008, not the 3011, but 1900x1200 downscaled through the display is not bad enough to be annoying in game. Anything lower than that, gets pretty bad, pretty fast.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

I have a 3008, not the 3011, but 1900x1200 downscaled through the display is not bad enough to be annoying in game. Anything lower than that, gets pretty bad, pretty fast.

Yeah, the lowest I dipped was 1920x1200. Things got blurry lower than that.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
How does the U2410 or U2412 compare to the LED Cinema Display? I've been using a 24" LED Cinema Display for about two years, but there's some goofiness with Thunderbolt Macs and the 24" ACD and it doesn't seem like it's going to get fixed (although Apple has said there's a firmware fix coming for a while.)

I'd think that if I'm used to the LED backlighting I'd probably want to go for the U2412, right?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'd think that if I'm used to the LED backlighting I'd probably want to go for the U2412, right?
LED backlighting is entirely inconsequential. The only thing LED backlighting does is allow the monitor to be a little thinner, run a little cooler, and be more energy-friendly. It has pretty much zero impact on the actual display quality of the monitor, so you can go ahead and forget about it.

The U2410 has a noticeably wider gamut than the ACD. This means that colors, unless you calibrate/correct it, will look more saturated and have more "pop" than you're used to. This can be an enjoyable thing for people surfing the web, watching movies, etc., and is a great boon for people doing print/proof work, but is a royal pain in the dick for people doing web design or other media content for computers. Then there's the part where the U2410 (and U2412) are matte displays with aggressive AG coatings. While this means that neither one of them suffer from glare pretty much ever, it does mean that the displays do not appear as bright and sharp as the glossy ACD, and some people get seriously bothered by the light "snow" effect the AG coating causes on large solid light-colored areas. On the upside, you can calibrate the living gently caress out of the U2410 and adjust virtually everything about it until the colors look right to you. You also get a bunch of color presets like AdobeRGB and sRGB to help fake those colorspaces.

Now if you're not some sort of fancy-pants graphics professional, most of the above doesn't mean poo poo to you, and you should probably just get the U2412, because it's cheaper and mostly cuts out the fancy-pants stuff you wouldn't use anyhow. Either way, you can enjoy a monitor with a stand that was designed to be a functional god-damned stand and not an artistic accessory, which means you actually get full swivel/height/tilt/rotate adjustments. How Apple continues to think that a non-height-adjustable stand is A-ok on $1000+ monitors blows my mind.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Cool, thanks for the breakdown. I'm actually really happy with my ACD, non-functional stand, glossy screen and all, and if I switch it will be begrudgingly, but I think based on that breakdown I'd go with the 2412. Thinner / cooler / more energy efficient does matter a good amount to me.

As does how it looks on my desk, but there isn't anything that looks nicer than the ACD so I'll just have to let that one go.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can anybody give me some information on 24" 3D monitors? (NVidia 3D Vision)

I'm running 2x GTX 480 SLI and am thinking about trying this whole 3D thing...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Vinlaen posted:

Can anybody give me some information on 24" 3D monitors? (NVidia 3D Vision)

I'm running 2x GTX 480 SLI and am thinking about trying this whole 3D thing...
At this point in time it's pretty much a gimmick. The 3D effects vary substantially from game to game, and games not intentionally designed with 3D in mind (so pretty much all of them) typically suffer from a laundry list of usability issues once you get over the WOW 3DEEE factor. Probably the most common one is that anything with a substantial HUD, control panel (like the interface in WoW), or basically any sort of interface not specifically tailored for 3D tends to have problems; the systems don't really understand the difference between how it should handle the interface vice other parts of the display, so you end up with problems focusing everything so that the interface is at a comfortable distance (and in focus) at the same time as the actual game scene is. This is somewhat less of a problem for most FPS games, due to the (generally) minimalistic HUD, but is a big problem for most RTS, MMO, and strategy games.

On the other hand, the 3D-capable monitors all make pretty fantastic 2D gaming monitors on their own merits (120Hz helps), though you're obviously going to be paying a decent premium for them.

tl;dr I wouldn't recommend it until it goes more mainstream and has more support from game developers.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Any chance of getting a monitor with the following specs some time soon?
30"+
2560*1600
IPS panel
120hz refresh rate and accepted by the input

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Deathreaper posted:

Any chance of getting a monitor with the following specs some time soon?
30"+
2560*1600
IPS panel
120hz refresh rate and accepted by the input
Not in a 120Hz flavor, no. In fact, outside of some low-production models available only in Asia, I am not aware of any 120Hz IPS panels of any size currently available, nor are there any known plans to produce such panels. Sorry dude :(

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

OK - Regardless of 3D support, what's the advantage of 120 Hz over 60 Hz for gaming?

I've read the blurb in the OP but I'd still like a bit more information...

For example, I thought to avoid tearing on a 60 Hz monitor, you needed to be getting a minimum of 60 FPS and then you can enable v-sync (which gives me too much input lag).

How does 120 Hz change this?

It makes me think that with a 120 Hz monitor that I better have a fast enough CPU/GPU to produce a minimum of 120 FPS in order to avoid tearing but it seems like I'm not understanding it correctly...

EDIT: Also, what would be the recommendation for the best 24" 120Hz monitor then?

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 10, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
For tearing, you're more or less correct, though it will provide tear-free displays at any sub-multiple of 60. The problem is that the next sub-multiple down from 60 is 30, so for a lot of people it's 60-or-bust, since being able to pump 59FPS with VSync on results in a 30FPS output.

At any rate, the same applies for a 120Hz display, though with different numbers--anything below 120FPS with VSync on will drop to 60FPS, then 30, then 20, etc. But that isn't the main benefit of a 120Hz display, and in fact is why the general consensus is to run without VSync unless you actually notice bothersome tearing (and that's for both 60 and 120Hz displays). The prime advantage of a 120Hz display is the reduction in latency of the display itself--generally it will be able to display an image at least one frame faster than a 60Hz display, and some people see this is a noticeable advantage in fast-paced or "twitch" FPS games. Other people also feel it gives an overall more "smooth" feel that's hard to quantify.

In order to fully benefit from a 120Hz display, yeah, you need to be able to push 120FPS. If you feel you need to have VSync on, as said above, if you can't hold 120Hz you'll only be displaying 60FPS.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I'm looking to buy a Dell U2410, and I've discovered that ebay listings for refurbished units regularly sell for $300 or less. This seems like a great deal, and a price this low places this display in my price range at this moment in time - otherwise I'd have to wait a few months to get one.

Are there any caveats I should be aware of regarding refurbished monitors, particularly those listed on ebay?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kefit posted:

Are there any caveats I should be aware of regarding refurbished monitors, particularly those listed on ebay?

Check warranty coverage to make sure you still get premium panel guarantee, etc.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

DrDork posted:

Not in a 120Hz flavor, no. In fact, outside of some low-production models available only in Asia, I am not aware of any 120Hz IPS panels of any size currently available, nor are there any known plans to produce such panels. Sorry dude :(

pulled the trigger on a U3011 today at $1140. I figure i'll use this as a TV and monitor :). Yea I don't think the 30" IPS segment is going to see a true 120hz monitor any time soon.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Deathreaper posted:

pulled the trigger on a U3011 today at $1140. I figure i'll use this as a TV and monitor :). Yea I don't think the 30" IPS segment is going to see a true 120hz monitor any time soon.

U3011 :buddy:

Hooking up a STB via HDMI I assume?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

In the next few months, I will want to purchase a new monitor. I have determined that the things I need it to have are: 16:10 aspect ratio in 1920x1200 resolution, 24 inch panel, <5ms pixel response, DVI input. Things I would like it to have are HDMI input and an adjustable stand. It will be used for browsing, gaming, and occasionally watching movies (although I mostly stream those to my xbox and TV).

Can anyone reccomend me a monitor based on those specs? Preferably for under $300 and purchasable in Australia?

I'm seriously lost when it comes to these things, especially since every single monitor I find screams FULL HD at me and I really want 16:10.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

Can anyone reccomend me a monitor based on those specs? Preferably for under $300 and purchasable in Australia?

I'm not familiar with what's offered in Australia, but it's going to be tough to meet that price point. With 16:10 panels falling by the way-side, the guys making S-PVA/S-MVA panels (which would be perfect for you, like Samsung etc) can give you what you want...in 1920x1080. Dell would happily cover all of those with a 24" UltraSharp, but not at the price point you want.

What are you willing to sacrifice? The DVI/HDMI is almost guaranteed on every monitor you'd look at I think. I think you need to increase your budget if you have your heart set on 16:10.

The HP LA2405wg is the closest thing that'll deliver, at $279.99USD, but it's a TN panel (and only D-Sub + DVI + DisplayPort). Looks like Samsung 24" offerings are also mostly TN. The Asus PA246Q is P-IPS, but also 500USD.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Oh drat, I figured that would be the case.

I guess I'll keep my eye on the cheap parts places and try to jump on something that meets my requirements if/when it comes along at a reasonable price.

I'd really rather not get a 16:9 panel, but if that's what it has to be, then that's what it has to be (or maybe I can get my mate to sell me his LG 24" 16:10 when he upgrades).

Or maybe I'll save up longer and get something nicer. 24" is bordering just on "getting too big" for me, but I'm a bit sick of this lovely BenQ 22" 1680x1050 thing that I've got.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You may want to take a look at the U2412M and ZR24W. Not sure what the availability of them are in Australia, but at least in the US they're <$400, which isn't too much above your range to begin with, and means you might be able to score a <$300 one if you get it used. Other than those, though, you're going to have to drop one of the following: 24", 1920x1200, or IPS.

Also, don't bother looking at response times on monitors. <5ms response time literally means jack poo poo these days: the panels themselves are all pretty close in response times, g2g, or whatever other metric they stamp on the box. The real differences are going to come in with overdrive, RTC, and processing lag, none of which you're going to see a mention of in the product overview, unfortunately.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

movax posted:

I'm not familiar with what's offered in Australia, but it's going to be tough to meet that price point. With 16:10 panels falling by the way-side, the guys making S-PVA/S-MVA panels (which would be perfect for you, like Samsung etc) can give you what you want...in 1920x1080. Dell would happily cover all of those with a 24" UltraSharp, but not at the price point you want.

The newer stripped down Dell 24" (U2412M) is $399 AUD, might be worth keeping an eye on it to see if it goes on special.

The pixel response time is 8ms GTG though, but I don't know how much thats actually going to matter

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dissss posted:

The newer stripped down Dell 24" is $399 AUD, might be worth keeping an eye on it to see if it goes on special.

The pixel response time is 8ms GTG though, but I don't know how much thats actually going to matter

Oh hey, there you go :australia: goon. I think you'd be happy with the 2412M. Note that it doesn't have HDMI though, just DVI/DP/VGA. So, you could buy a HDMI switch and run your PC/console through that, get your PC hooked up via DP or something like that. Or keep looking for an used U2410 (Dell dropped a lot of the inputs to save $$$ on the 2412).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Is there any reason to reject this one? Price is $260-$290 depending on where I'd get it...

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/pc-peripherals/monitor/archive/LS24MYKRBQ/XSA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

It doesn't specify panel type that I can see, but it's the right size, with the right aspect ratio.

Or this one, which seems similar but is more expensive while still being in my price range: http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/pc-peripherals/monitor/led-monitor/LS24A450BWT/XY/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

Or is Samsung a no-go?

Edit: Beaten while replying, I'll look into those Dells too. HDMI isn't a must have, just a nice to have. DVI should do everything I want since this is a monitor not a TV. The console is oohked to the TV. I stream movies to it via the xbox's built in movie thingy. I'm probably not going to plug the xbox into my monitor, ever, unless I move to a tiny apartment and ditch my TV or something.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 11, 2011

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Going to be purchasing dual 27" Dell monitors, currently have a 24" and want to keep it on the setup as well. What will I need to drive this? I currently have a GTX 460. Will I need to upgrade?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

Is there any reason to reject this one? Price is $260-$290 depending on where I'd get it...
The first one is certainly a TN monitor, and I strongly suspect the second one is, as well. That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with TN monitors; they're just not going to have the viewing angles or color and visual quality that an IPS has. If that's not terribly important to you (eg, you spend all your days just playing Quake or CS), then by all means save some cash and get a TN. If you can spare the extra cash, though, it's a pretty noticeable step up getting an IPS.

Phiberoptik posted:

Going to be purchasing dual 27" Dell monitors, currently have a 24" and want to keep it on the setup as well. What will I need to drive this? I currently have a GTX 460. Will I need to upgrade?
Depends on what you intend to do with them. Are you going to be watching movies and web browsing and that's it? You're fine. Are you going to be playing last-gen games like TF2, Borderlands, WoW, or other not-so-stressful games? You're fine. Do you intend on playing Rage and BF3 at full resolution with all the pretties? Ain't gonna happen with a 460.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
e: Nevermind, the screen had an autoadjust button!

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 11, 2011

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

DrDork posted:

The first one is certainly a TN monitor, and I strongly suspect the second one is, as well. That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with TN monitors; they're just not going to have the viewing angles or color and visual quality that an IPS has. If that's not terribly important to you (eg, you spend all your days just playing Quake or CS), then by all means save some cash and get a TN. If you can spare the extra cash, though, it's a pretty noticeable step up getting an IPS.

Depends on what you intend to do with them. Are you going to be watching movies and web browsing and that's it? You're fine. Are you going to be playing last-gen games like TF2, Borderlands, WoW, or other not-so-stressful games? You're fine. Do you intend on playing Rage and BF3 at full resolution with all the pretties? Ain't gonna happen with a 460.

It's for windows stuff. Can I run 3 monitors off that one card though?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Phiberoptik posted:

It's for windows stuff. Can I run 3 monitors off that one card though?

Not that one, I think with Nvidia you need one of their crazy dual-GPU cards like a GTX 590.

You're probably best adding another Nvidia card and using that for the third display

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

DrDork posted:

I spend my days browsing the net, playing some games (recently Portal 2 and Madness Returns, probably the new Star Wars MMO in the future and I'm looking at Dragon Age 2 next week) and watching the occasional movie or TV show (once or twice a week).

It's only ever me using this monitor and it's only ever used sitting at eye level on my desk, so I guess viewing angles are a non-issue.

Can you go into "color and visual quality" a bit? I've never noticed problems with what I've got (BenQ G2200W) even compared to my girlfriend's housemate's iMac extrabig thingy that he does graphic work on. Then again, my appreciation of screens isn't known to be the best, 3DTV makes me go "eh" and I wasn't significantly impressed with the difference between 720p and 1080p on my old/new TV.

Sorry, these are proabably stupid newbie questions but my knowledge of monitors stopped when I bought my "awesome" 19 inch flat screen 4:3 CRT in 2001 or so. The current monitor was a "games might would look better in widescreen, I have money, here's a cheap widescreen" impulse purchase which kept me pretty happy since, I dunno, 2005 or 2006. Reading this thread made me think about what I might be missing, and my mate's old 24 inch 16:10 LG looks pretty nice. So I'm trying to educate myself a bit so I don't spend 600 bucks on something I don't need or that's full of "features" I won't use.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
If you can push it, the Dell U2412M is going to be an upgrade from the TN panels around, but not for too much more money.

Other than that, take your pick from any number of TN 1920x1080 panels out there, from a reputable manufacturer. They're probably going to be similar.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I hate to make a "Hey which is better" post..... but...

I'm looking at the LG E2370V-BF http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005232 and the NEC NEC Display Solutions EA232WMi http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002578 at the moment.

I was wondering if the LG one is still good. I like the NEC's stand... but that doesn't matter when I'm going to be mounting the monitor. A quick look at the info says the NEC has better viewing angle, while the LG has a better contrast ratio. The NEC is also more expensive... The main reason I want to ask about this though is that I've never really heard many comments on the LG monitors that I can remember. Do they make good monitors? Would this one be good?

I just want a decent IPS at 23", but don't want to have to spend $300+ at the moment. I liked the ASUS ML239H, despite the retarded stand and it's odd look.... but the fact that it can't be mounted kind of kills it for me. I'm also curious why it's one of the only IPS I seem to have seen with a 5ms response time...

Anyway, thanks!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Phiberoptik posted:

Yeah, I have a 460 as well. AMD's better than nvidia currently when it comes to # of monitors off one card. I bought some passive GeForce...a 210 I think, and use that to run my 2 2209WAs, and the 460 runs only my 3011. It's borderline for most games at 2560x1600, FWIW (I run w/ no AA and AF usually).

If you have a Z68 board, you could use the CPU's GPU to run the 3rd monitor as well. (P67 here).

MaxDuo: have you looked at the Asus PAxxx series? (Their P-IPS monitors)

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Building a new PC and getting new monitors while i'm at it. Have a few options in my price ranges and was looking for opinions as reviews on monitors are all over the place.

Samsung B2430H
BenQ BL2400PU
BenQ V2410
Samsung S23A300B
ASUS VE247H
Samsung S24A300B
LG IPS226V-PN
LG IPS231P

Are any of these significantly better than the others? They are going to be use for day-to-day gaming, movies, internet browsing, programmer, server administration, basically a bit of everything.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Just bought my first 30 incher. Refurb Samsung 305T for $500. Yes, it's not IPS. But for $500, PVA is good enough. :)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Wedesdo posted:

Just bought my first 30 incher. Refurb Samsung 305T for $500. Yes, it's not IPS. But for $500, PVA is good enough. :)

Specs look good enough, and a fantastic price, but lots of complaints about the monitor breaking and bad customer support. Best of luck to you with it, I'm pretty jealous.

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY
When it comes to GPU muscle for a U3011, how would this work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127589

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Overkill. Get a 560ti or a 6950 and it will run it butter smooth.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
If anyone is looking for a cheap 27" monitor, take a look here (too bad it is only 16:9).

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3195572

27" Planar PX2710MW TN Panel 1080p Widescreen LCD Monitor

Comes out to $230

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

movax posted:

U3011 :buddy:

Hooking up a STB via HDMI I assume?

nah, I don't see the point of paying for TV services anymore. I'll probably get an OTA HD tuner card to watch the CBC for the news and a couple of other OTA channels. The rest will be downloaded / streamed content :D. On a side note, i'm not quite sure how my 6950 2GB will cope with BF3 at this resolution