Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
The easiest solution to that problem is to make it a work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

niethan posted:

The easiest solution to that problem is to make it a work.

I like your attitude.

But yeah, your black belt should be able to toss a 320lb linebacker that doesnt want to move/get embarrassed in front of all the bitches he has to plough later. It might be super hard to get him to move.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Crisco Kid posted:

Anybody familiar with schools around the Triangle area in North Carolina? I just moved up about a week and half ago, and I want to get settled and find some steady income before I fully commit to training. Still, I'd like to get a shortlist of places to visit.

I have a pretty well-rounded background, but I've got some serious rust and my old school focused very little on competition. If I don't give combat sports a chance before I'm too old and too distracted, I know I'll regret it for the rest of my life. At the moment I'm leaning toward Sommai Gym -- I've always been interested in Muay Thai. Goldsmith is closer, but I also heard it was "aimed at college students," which could mean a lot of things.

It would be great if anybody knowledgeable about the region had input on schools I might be missing.

Forged Fitness is an incredible school with really great people. They're a part of Team ROC; there's another branch of Team ROC in Chapel Hill (http://www.chapelhilljiujitsu.com/) which is pretty much just BJJ. There's also Triangle Jiujitsu in Durham (http://www.trianglejjdurham.com/), which has some good guys, and a newer school, Saunders BJJ (http://www.saundersbjj.com/joomla1/home-durham-nc) which I've never been to before. Oh, and UNC has a pretty good Judo club, though it's tricky to get inside.

Comrade_Robot fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 10, 2011

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Armyman25 posted:

Haven't read the thread, but does anyone have a good right up of "street fighting" versus MMA?

I understand that a man who spends his time devoted to getting himself in shape and honing his skills at a realistic martial art is much more formidable than someone who has just been in a lot of fights, but I always hear the "well, in a REAL fight I'd gouge his eyes out" arguments.

That argument is the dumbest thing ever because someone who does MMA can also gouge someone's eyes, and will be much better at doing so than someone who doesn't train in striking, grappling, and wrestling.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
there was a video on youtube from those horrible felony fight video guys with an MMA fighter and some dude who was suppose to be a street fighter.

The fight was over in about 3 minutes and ended up with the MMA guy on top of the "street fighter" refusing to hit him anymore because he was afraid of causing permanent damage to the guy's face and brain.

The video is probably still floating around if you care to look.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
gently caress yess, did my second ever crucifix yesterday! This is the most fun technique ever to pull off while sparring. then you can just slowly grab their collar and start choking them. How fun is that!

mewse
May 2, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

you can just slowly grab their collar and start choking them. How fun is that!

:stare:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Due to a combination of things, I appear to have kind of lost my drive to train, I only did like four classes last month, and I haven't trained at all this month. I don't know what's up, but after falling out of the schedule it seems hard to get back in again. Maybe I need to consciously decide to take a break.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

mewse posted:

:stare:

Don't even try to act like choking people isn't fun. It's even more fun when they are completely defenseless and you can just slowly slide your hand, grab the collar and force it under their chin. Then you pull, slowly. You see it in their eyes that there's less and less blood going to their brain. Until they tap and you have to let go. :flashfap:

Ok, I think I might have a problem

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

Due to a combination of things, I appear to have kind of lost my drive to train, I only did like four classes last month, and I haven't trained at all this month. I don't know what's up, but after falling out of the schedule it seems hard to get back in again. Maybe I need to consciously decide to take a break.

You might have to take a break before you re-dedicate yourself. There's some sort of malaise that sets in if you're at the grind for a long time and you don't seem to be making much progress.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

KingColliwog posted:

Don't even try to act like choking people isn't fun. It's even more fun when they are completely defenseless and you can just slowly slide your hand, grab the collar and force it under their chin. Then you pull, slowly. You see it in their eyes that there's less and less blood going to their brain. Until they tap and you have to let go. :flashfap:

Ok, I think I might have a problem

or maybe...just this once... you don't let go.

Shhhh... shhhh go to sleep, go to sleep beautiful angel.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'd try switching sports for a bit. You could try another martial art or team sports rec leagues or even something like yoga/Pilates. If you stop training all together it becomes super hard to get back into the swing of things.

I am able to train Judo extremely irregularly because of knee pain. Before I started filling in those gaps in training with something else it was very hard to motivate myself to return to Judo when the pain was gone.

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 10, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bohemian Nights posted:

what is that "combination of things". Is it more like : my mother died so I didn't want to do anything for a few weeks and now I have trouble getting back in. Or more like : no progress, it's always the same thing?

Anyway, I'd do what Office Sheep is recommending. I also have trouble getting back into training after a real "break". You just feel so lethargic you don't want to do anything and find excuses all the time

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ya do something else that is beneficial yet different. I would still try to train at least once per week or every other week to keep some level of skill, but the rest of the time go do Yoga or Xfit or a different MA. Maybe try swimming or biking? Climbing?

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 10, 2011

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That argument is the dumbest thing ever because someone who does MMA can also gouge someone's eyes, and will be much better at doing so than someone who doesn't train in striking, grappling, and wrestling.

I think what it comes down to is a lot of the level one "combatives" training the Army does is basic techniques for chokes, joint locks, and positions. It doesn't go into a lot of striking, so I think the thought process must go like this:
"Since all we're learning is how to wrestle someone and choke them out, they just need to gouge our eyes, tear our ears, or fight dirty and they win."

Except that that's all taught at the more advanced levels which most people don't get into since Army Combatives are a once a year or once a deployment time waster, rather than an actual program to teach people a martial art.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Bohemian Nights posted:

Hmmm. Well I just had a 6 week break from technique and sparring classes. I didn't really plan it, but consciously put other stuff first on my list of priorities. After I managed that it ended up turning for the best I think.

I had so much on my mind (and so many other things to do) over the summer that I felt like spending late evenings doing something else altogether for once. At first I had sort of a bad conscience, which is, of course, foolish, because I'm only missing out on my personal training, but one of the instructors pointed out (the quite obvious) fact that the group or the club are not going to suddenly disappear even if I'm off having a beer or swimming in a lake or something for a month or two, which was when I re-organized my priority list.

Instead I spent the time doing a couple of easy early day heavy bag or pad sessions a week while instructing between two to four classes (you get to do the stretching and calisthenics along!). Throw in the occasional kettlebell routine and other poo poo I don't usually indulge in. (Like partying too much.)

Just came back from the first advanced technique & sparring class in 1.5 months, never felt better, had a ton of fun even though my distancing was a bit off and - this happens every-single-time you take time off - it wasn't nearly as challenging nor was I even close to as out of shape as I thought I might be.

Woooo! Also my motivation right now is back to sky high. So what I'm saying is what the other guys are saying above, maybe re-organize your priorities, make the decision to do something else for a month or two. And in case you did, don't ever whip yourself over not attending classes, it makes it worse. Rather have it the other way around, I've got something else on my mind so I'm happy I can choose to do something else.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 10, 2011

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

kimbo305 posted:

If that football player has dabbled with crosstraining his tackle with the least amount of wrestling, it might backfire. I would probably not do it anyway, with how sensitive lots of schools are to the risks involved.

Yeah, remember that at least in the midwest, the highschool football and wrestling teams tend to be a lot of the same guys, since the seasons don't overlap. That 320 lb linebacker isn't too unlikely to have 4 years of sprawling under his belt.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
I wanna start doing muay thai in a couple of months but ive got my cock pierced are the two compatible would i just have to wear a box or something ?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
http://www.mararts.org/osensei.htm

Phil Porter is dead. Who will become the new king of Bullshido?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

At first I thought Phrost had died.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Crisco Kid posted:

Anybody familiar with schools around the Triangle area in North Carolina?

This is from a couple pages ago, but Sommai is a good school. One of my friends is a pro fighter training primarily out of there. He raves about it, and everything I've seen from them shows very crisp muay thai technique. I used to train at NBS myself, and I still miss it. I have heard good things about Forge Fitness though, so don't be afraid to go look and see what's right for you.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

I don't get it. It seems he was an accomplished Judoka who actively fostered competition, as well as being into many other random MAs.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

I know everybody likes to joke about Eddie Bravo and Joe Rogan and the goofy poo poo they say/believe, but whats the consensus on 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu? Good school with some silly names for positions/moves? I ask cuz theres a gym 10 minutes away from me and I've been thinking about getting back into a MA for awhile now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Illumination posted:

I know everybody likes to joke about Eddie Bravo and Joe Rogan and the goofy poo poo they say/believe, but whats the consensus on 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu? Good school with some silly names for positions/moves? I ask cuz theres a gym 10 minutes away from me and I've been thinking about getting back into a MA for awhile now.

i don't think anyone really discounts their jits, just dont talk about politics and/or aliens and you should be fine

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

swmmrmanshen posted:

I don't get it. It seems he was an accomplished Judoka who actively fostered competition, as well as being into many other random MAs.

To steal another quote on this guy from elsewhere...Link here

"Some random thread on bullshido... posted:

To the best of my understanding, which is various judo gossip things, there is no doubt that Sensei Porter is an extremely talented judoka. As I recall (again, judo gossip), at some point it was felt that the main judo governing body was holding rank back from deserving Americans (arguably true), and this was remedied by the formation of another judo governing body, which then perhaps went a bit overboard, leading to charges of rank inflation. (I mean Yamashita is what, a fifth dan?)

While there is no doubt that Sensei Porter is a very talented Judoka, there is some argument over the propriety of his granting of the rank of 10th dan to himself.

It is not the first or last time that some extremely talented person have or develop a significant and glaring character flaw...

People who are very talented and have worth of character seem lacking these days.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 11, 2011

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

swmmrmanshen posted:

He was an extremely skilled Judoka, nobody disputes that. The problem is that he sold out and gave rank to whoever threw a bunch of money at him.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I just checked, over my 1.5 months of absenteeism I took part in some 35 different classes, though some 20 were in the role of an instructor.

That's when "I don't train".

Ok I guess it's official: I live at a gym.

No wonder the woman who sleeps in the same bed with me at nights complained I'm not available :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I think the reason I've been out of it could easily be that it feels a bit like a grind with little progression, but KingColliwog was close! I won't go too deep into it since this is the martial arts thread, but basically my grandmother is dying from leukemia, I had to break up with my girlfriend, I'm currently between jobs (although this is just temporary, I'm waiting for my position to clear up), and I'm not entirely impressed by my own jits.
Trying something else has been on the back of my mind for a while. I've considered a night or so a week of regular kickboxing or even boxing just to mix it up, but I'll have to wait until I have a job again at least. It'll all work itself out.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Death Bucket posted:

He was an extremely skilled Judoka, nobody disputes that. The problem is that he sold out and gave rank to whoever threw a bunch of money at him.

Pretty much this.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Illumination posted:

It's less different from normal Bjj than their marketing would have you believe. It's worth at least an intro to check out the scene.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Illumination posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq_j1sCfjEs

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I dont usually follow MMA so maybe I'm just easily impressed, but I stumbled over Ronda Rousey, a Judo Olympic medalist who turned to MMA recently and won every fight so far via armbar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o85X2OVoBRY

I bookmarked her to see how she does in the near future.

Also, I really dislike watching videos of fights through a wire fence. I don't understand why people find that appealing.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

zalmoxes posted:

Also, I really dislike watching videos of fights through a wire fence. I don't understand why people find that appealing.

This is only a problem with amateur ringside footage where you have to take what you can get. Aired fights generally have several cameras above the fence for an excellent view.

Thanks to everyone who threw out advice for schools in the Triangle area -- I'll check out Forged Fitness and Sommai for a certainty.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

It's less different from normal Bjj than their marketing would have you believe. It's worth at least an intro to check out the scene.

Yeah I'm gonna check it out sometime.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Xguard86 posted:

there was a video on youtube from those horrible felony fight video guys with an MMA fighter and some dude who was suppose to be a street fighter.

The fight was over in about 3 minutes and ended up with the MMA guy on top of the "street fighter" refusing to hit him anymore because he was afraid of causing permanent damage to the guy's face and brain.

The video is probably still floating around if you care to look.

Then there's this one with Nam Pham from Season 12 of Tuf:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWjn_uWwHg8

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Office Sheep posted:

Does anyone have any tips for kneepads to buy for judo/bjj? I've been using old volleyball ones but these have proven tobe too restrictive, not enough protection and tend to bunch up behind my knee. Are specificly wrestling kneepads better for this?

definitely make the switch - I found my volleyball kneepads too high profile for the mat. I was recommended brute kneepads by the guy who runs this site: http://www.wrestlingpalace.com/product/0262 and they're great so far. Low profile and offer great mobility along with adequate protection. I don't even realize I have them on.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Bangkero posted:

definitely make the switch - I found my volleyball kneepads too high profile for the mat. I was recommended brute kneepads by the guy who runs this site: http://www.wrestlingpalace.com/product/0262 and they're great so far. Low profile and offer great mobility along with adequate protection. I don't even realize I have them on.

Thanks. My current kneepads are actually very low profile already but uncomfortable and don't offer much protection. I was hoping for something thicker that could protect my knees more when I do a drop seoi or fall on my knees. It's entirely likely that I just have a really lovely pair and this would still be an improvement.

How am I supposed to size these things If I'm buying online? Is there a reference guide for leg measurements anywhere?

Edit: Never mind. I found a measurement table.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

zalmoxes posted:

I dont usually follow MMA so maybe I'm just easily impressed, but I stumbled over Ronda Rousey, a Judo Olympic medalist who turned to MMA recently and won every fight so far via armbar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o85X2OVoBRY

I bookmarked her to see how she does in the near future.

Yeah I've been following her for ages, I'd say I'm her biggest fan in a non creepy way. She makes her strikeforce debut tonight!

e: her mum runs that popular judo blog: http://drannmaria.blogspot.com/

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 12, 2011

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, remember that at least in the midwest, the highschool football and wrestling teams tend to be a lot of the same guys, since the seasons don't overlap. That 320 lb linebacker isn't too unlikely to have 4 years of sprawling under his belt.

That club is at Iowa State, right? There is a 100% chance that a linebacker will be someone who wasn't good enough for the wrestling team and they will take you down.

A few things to do:

1) The honors program makes the freshman in it do a certain amount of on-campus stuff. Go in to Jischke and talk to them, see if you can get a demo.

2) See if you can get posters in at the dining centers. MWL, Hawthorne, the Hub and the UDCC are the big ones.

3) See if you can get some kind of a demo at veishea and homecoming. IIRC the weightlifting club got a bench and 135 lbs out there and had a contest to see who could lift the most and it helped get people. You'd probably have to have less of an interactive demo (maybe show a basic hip throw, let 100lb girls throw some 230lb guy) but it could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I need a new rashguard/training shirt for muay thai. Is Underarmor the way to go, or is there a better brand?

• Locked thread