Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

TLG James posted:

Anyone know if this is a sweet job? I do live in Nebraska and have vet status.

It really is, at the Service Center. No customer interaction, relaxed dress code. Just desk work, pumping out applications. The center is one of the most relaxed places I've ever worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Less than a week until my interview. To say I'm excited doesn't even come close. I've researched everything I can find about this agency and the department I'm interviewing in. I finally have a chance, so I'm putting in every ounce of effort that I can muster.

Hopefully they'll appreciate the research I've put into understanding their mission and goals of the department and what I feel I can bring to the job. This job is exactly what I want to focus my career on. :ohdear:

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.
I would be "sick" every other Monday with Coburn's plan.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Happydayz posted:

in my internal human resources website there is a mechanism by which to refer an external for hire. It also gives an option to click a box if you are a SES or General Officer. And I know first hand of someone who just got hired by this process - reportedly through this very process

I think I've figured it out. Certain executive branch agencies that have delegated examining authority have direct hire authority. My agency does not have this authority.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Zoo posted:

I would be "sick" every other Monday with Coburn's plan.
I would be sick for the next 5 or 6 months with Coburn's plan.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

grover posted:

Some of the measures in that bill are downright alarming.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

grover posted:

Only 105 sick hours here. I'm sick often. ;)

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Yeah, under that plan I'd get every Monday then under AWS. Actually, if they did those cuts through a buyout, along with a hiring freeze, I'd take a buyout. Actually, if there was a freeze, I'd leave the government entirely. I've told myself I'm leaving this job next year for something else no matter what. It's like running into a wall over and over again where I am.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
De Nomolos, is there anything you can tell us about the regulations for the "pathways" programs? Specifically the recent grads and changes to pmf? I'm entering my last year of grad school and hoping this is wrapped up quickly so I can start getting more apps in.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
What happens at a job fair / how should I dress?

I'm planning on attending a Hispanic Engineers career fair (I'm nowhere near Hispanic) and it looks like the only one USACE will be at in the area. Is a suit and tie too much? Do they typically just meet and greet or interview on the spot? Should I bring anything other than resume and examples of my work?

Thanks.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Had my interview with an agency this week through a hiring event. Now the long wait (they said about 4 weeks) to get a conditional offer or rejection.

Marek
Oct 4, 2002
Ausländer
Hi guys, I've been looking around online for an answer to this, but haven't been able to find anything definitive. If someone can clear this background check issue up for me, I'd appreciate it.

I'm currently looking for work on USA Jobs for some basic legal assistant type work, and there are a few positions that have jumped out at me. The ones I am specifically looking at are in the Departments of Agriculture, Labor, Commerce and an administrative bureau for the federal courts. They're standard office jobs, not affiliated with the military, intelligence agencies or law enforcement. This is important because due to my fairly recent past with alcohol and drug abuse, I am not eligible for any type of clearance. I did a program successfully and stayed sober, but according to security guidelines I have to wait another 2 years before being able to obtain a clearance. Other than that, my credit is fine and I have never been arrested.

The issue is that for these jobs I have been looking at, many of them say that a government background investigation is required, with no mention of maintaining a clearance of any kind. So I'm really just wondering how thorough these government background checks are. Do they require the SF-86? Or is it just a basic credit / criminal history check? With no mention of obtaining and maintaining a clearance, does my dark past even matter?

Marek fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 30, 2011

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Marek posted:

Hi guys, I've been looking around online for an answer to this, but haven't been able to find anything definitive. If someone can clear this background check issue up for me, I'd appreciate it.

I'm currently looking for work on USA Jobs for some basic legal assistant type work, and there are a few positions that have jumped out at me. The ones I am specifically looking at are in the Departments of Agriculture, Labor, Commerce and an administrative bureau for the federal courts. They're standard office jobs, not affiliated with the military, intelligence agencies or law enforcement. This is important because due to my fairly recent past with alcohol and drug abuse, I am not eligible for any type of clearance. I did a program successfully and stayed sober, but according to security guidelines I have to wait another 2 years before being able to obtain a clearance. Other than that, my credit is fine and I have never been arrested.

The issue is that for these jobs I have been looking at, many of them say that a government background investigation is required, with no mention of maintaining a clearance of any kind. So I'm really just wondering how thorough these government background checks are. Do they require the SF-86? Or is it just a basic credit / criminal history check? With no mention of obtaining and maintaining a clearance, does my dark past even matter?

Most likely a SF85P, for positions of public trust.

Marek
Oct 4, 2002
Ausländer

Tyro posted:

Most likely a SF85P, for positions of public trust.

Thanks, looks like I'm eligible for that.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

NintyFresh posted:

Had my interview with an agency this week through a hiring event. Now the long wait (they said about 4 weeks) to get a conditional offer or rejection.

Conditional offer = several more months of nothing heard.

Grooveh
Apr 14, 2007
Why yes, I do enjoy banana bread muffins.
How dismal are the chances of a 61 year-old woman with a Schedule A disability (Multiple sclerosis in remission) getting hired out of state? My mother has been living off social security and food stamps, and has applied to hundreds of federal jobs over the past year. She lives in Michigan and has only been applying to jobs in other states because, well, Michigan sucks. She almost got hired by an office in Baltimore, Maryland, but turned them down because she suddenly decided she only wants to move to the Denver, Colorado area, which I imagine is far too desirable and specific for her to have a chance. She's had a couple phone interviews for that area, but nothing came of it.

She has a masters in special education but doesn't want a teaching job. She's good with people, but doesn't have many skills and would probably only be able to handle a call center or secretarial job.

Her stubborn optimism seemed to cross into delusional territory months ago, and I'd like to hear if any of you have experience with the hiring (and not-hiring) of old people.

Otten
Oct 9, 2004

Grooveh posted:

How dismal are the chances of a 61 year-old woman with a Schedule A disability (Multiple sclerosis in remission) getting hired out of state? My mother has been living off social security and food stamps, and has applied to hundreds of federal jobs over the past year. She lives in Michigan and has only been applying to jobs in other states because, well, Michigan sucks. She almost got hired by an office in Baltimore, Maryland, but turned them down because she suddenly decided she only wants to move to the Denver, Colorado area, which I imagine is far too desirable and specific for her to have a chance. She's had a couple phone interviews for that area, but nothing came of it.

She has a masters in special education but doesn't want a teaching job. She's good with people, but doesn't have many skills and would probably only be able to handle a call center or secretarial job.

Her stubborn optimism seemed to cross into delusional territory months ago, and I'd like to hear if any of you have experience with the hiring (and not-hiring) of old people.

I don't have any hard data for you, but I was hired during a big push, and we had some old(er) people come in at that time. One of the nicest people in my orientation training was a white-haired lady who sat in the back. didn't know her background, but I guess it means it happens. our office also hired someone who was deaf, and someone who was visibly pregnant.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This is probably the best place to post this. Out of the blue today I got a call from a government contractor hiring cleared spanish linguists for the DEA. From what he told me and from reading the description, the position is effectively a cryptolinguist position working partially with SIGINT. I know we have some intel/law enforcement people here. Do you have any idea how much these positions typically pay and whether or not the work is any good?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Out of the various "clearance jobs / cleared jobs" type sites, are any more legit or more effective?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

This is probably the best place to post this. Out of the blue today I got a call from a government contractor hiring cleared spanish linguists for the DEA. From what he told me and from reading the description, the position is effectively a cryptolinguist position working partially with SIGINT. I know we have some intel/law enforcement people here. Do you have any idea how much these positions typically pay and whether or not the work is any good?

Just talk to them, it could vary wildly based on how the contract rates things like education, profieciency, applicable prior experience, and the contractor's overhead (if they're a huge firm or smaller one). It has the potential to be quite good.

nude tayne
Jul 25, 2001
THIS ISN'T ROCKET SURGERY!
I'm a recent law school grad (with a lawyer job holy poo poo I feel like I'm a unicorn sometimes). I don't really like it that much, but I want to stay in the public sector. I can tolerate my job while I am applying, I am sure, but I don't really want them to know I'm applying for government jobs if I try to do so. Will the application process let the cat out of the bag?

Also, do years as an intern count toward work experience for the purposes of these kinds of jobs? If so, I think I could qualify as GS-11.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Beerdeer posted:

It really is, at the Service Center. No customer interaction, relaxed dress code. Just desk work, pumping out applications. The center is one of the most relaxed places I've ever worked.

Hey do you have an email or something I can send you a few questions on?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Sbull posted:

I'm a recent law school grad (with a lawyer job holy poo poo I feel like I'm a unicorn sometimes). I don't really like it that much, but I want to stay in the public sector. I can tolerate my job while I am applying, I am sure, but I don't really want them to know I'm applying for government jobs if I try to do so. Will the application process let the cat out of the bag?

Also, do years as an intern count toward work experience for the purposes of these kinds of jobs? If so, I think I could qualify as GS-11.

What is the type of lawyer job you're working in right now?

nude tayne
Jul 25, 2001
THIS ISN'T ROCKET SURGERY!

prussian advisor posted:

What is the type of lawyer job you're working in right now?

Small, unstable public interest non-profit

nude tayne fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 12, 2011

Merrack
Sep 15, 2007

Tyro posted:

Out of the various "clearance jobs / cleared jobs" type sites, are any more legit or more effective?

Really, just ClearanceJobs.com will get you more than enough on its own. Be prepared for the phone calls and emails to still be coming on strong 6+ months later, even if you don't update your profile/spend any time on marketing yourself. Might want to consider a secondary email address, or something easily filterable.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Merrack posted:

Really, just ClearanceJobs.com will get you more than enough on its own. Be prepared for the phone calls and emails to still be coming on strong 6+ months later, even if you don't update your profile/spend any time on marketing yourself. Might want to consider a secondary email address, or something easily filterable.

Not for me, for an unemployed Reservist friend, but thanks, I will pass it along :)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Merrack posted:

This. I usually get 3-4 phonecalls a month from recruiters for companies I haven't even applied to.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

TLG James posted:

Hey do you have an email or something I can send you a few questions on?

Sure. sa.beerdeer at the email service associated with Google.

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
This isn't a job seeking post, but I hope someone can help me.

I noticed a lot of you work for the State Department. Are any of you working in DC?

Right now, I am in the process of getting my FBI criminal records check certified by the State Department. The State Department's website says this should take 4 weeks, but a lot of people are waiting 6-8 weeks. I tried calling, but the phone number just gives a prerecorded message. I tried emailing, but I never received a response. I will have to look for another job if this document is late. If any of you know a number I can call or can offer any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Andro posted:

This isn't a job seeking post, but I hope someone can help me.

I noticed a lot of you work for the State Department. Are any of you working in DC?

Right now, I am in the process of getting my FBI criminal records check certified by the State Department. The State Department's website says this should take 4 weeks, but a lot of people are waiting 6-8 weeks. I tried calling, but the phone number just gives a prerecorded message. I tried emailing, but I never received a response. I will have to look for another job if this document is late. If any of you know a number I can call or can offer any advice, I would really appreciate it.

I'm out of DC now, but I have colleagues back there. What department/office is doing your certification, I can try and find a better number for you.

Andro
Jun 30, 2010

Diplomaticus posted:

I'm out of DC now, but I have colleagues back there. What department/office is doing your certification, I can try and find a better number for you.

Thanks, it is the Office of Authentications.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Ah, they're kind of separate and have weird hours (like 7am to noon or something like that.); I wouldn't be able to get in touch. Sorry. Try the Foreign Service thread, there are a few goons there in training in DC who could be over there anyway.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I'm not sure how to phrase this correctly, but I will try.

Is there a certain timeframe in which a clearance (TS specifically) can be claimed?

A little background. Basically I was in the process for getting a contractor job, background investigation went fine, I was cleared for a TS but then the contractor offered the job to another. I am curious how long the TS could still be used without having to start another investigation, and going through the entire process all over again.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Gravel Gravy posted:

I'm not sure how to phrase this correctly, but I will try.

Is there a certain timeframe in which a clearance (TS specifically) can be claimed?

A little background. Basically I was in the process for getting a contractor job, background investigation went fine, I was cleared for a TS but then the contractor offered the job to another. I am curious how long the TS could still be used without having to start another investigation, and going through the entire process all over again.

Was it ever fully adjudicated? Typically the contract holder and agency (the one sponsoring your cleraance) does not start the SF85 paperwork until you've been hired, so to do that prior to giving you an offer, are you sure it was not just a contractor background check for employment?

Usually if you leave a job that required a clearance to one that does not, it goes into a dormant state, and can re-activated.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

routenull0 posted:

Was it ever fully adjudicated? Typically the contract holder and agency (the one sponsoring your cleraance) does not start the SF85 paperwork until you've been hired, so to do that prior to giving you an offer, are you sure it was not just a contractor background check for employment?

Usually if you leave a job that required a clearance to one that does not, it goes into a dormant state, and can re-activated.

It was adjudicated, and it was a TS clearance. I just never got the job.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Gravel Gravy posted:

It was adjudicated, and it was a TS clearance. I just never got the job.

That is rather odd that a company would spend the large amount of money on securing a TS prior to having the person on the payroll to begin with. I've never heard of that happening.

Anyways, if it was adjudicated, all that the new company has to do is re-activate it. Sometimes this requires negotiations with the previous company, but that is all handled by the companies Security Officer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

How much of a pain in the rear end is a SSBI? I got a good lead for a contracting job that requires one. I already have a secret clearance so I'm somewhat familiar with the general process.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

psydude posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is a SSBI? I got a good lead for a contracting job that requires one. I already have a secret clearance so I'm somewhat familiar with the general process.

Depends on how much you went to school and moved and if you know anyone foreign.

Anyone know where I can get the results for an immigration services officer test? I took it last week and they really didn't tell you anything about results or when you'll get them or how.

Otten
Oct 9, 2004

TLG James posted:

Depends on how much you went to school and moved and if you know anyone foreign.

Anyone know where I can get the results for an immigration services officer test? I took it last week and they really didn't tell you anything about results or when you'll get them or how.

They mail it to you, hard copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral BJ
May 28, 2005
Kicking ass and taking names
Awesome my National Park Service job now ends in 2 1/2 weeks instead of 2 1/2 months because of budget cuts!