Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hank Morgan posted:

Has anyone come across a mod that allows you to recruit the DLC followers for the main game?

Here you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I keep playing with effect.txt:

Postprocessing has no idea if a few pixels on the screen belong to the game world or to the interface which leads to slight discoloration. I think it actually looks pretty cool.

heh

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Cinematech when enabled causes severe frameskip/stuttering, anyone know why?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So what are some low impact shader mods that make the game look better? You guys have been talking about shaders a lot recently in the thread but there's like 6 different ones with a million different settings and it's Gamebryo so I don't know what single line of text is going to make my game run like molasses. :smith:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
What is that stuff in the top right of your screen?

As an aside, I don't really understand the point in adding film grain. Of course, that could be because my brain seems to automatically add it in to everything I see. I'd gladly trade someone with normal vision for this film grain vision. :v:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Police Automaton posted:

heh

Is this from an armor compilation mod? I ask because there's so few out there that aren't full of retarded anime poo poo or string bikinis.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Kgummy posted:

What is that stuff in the top right of your screen?

As an aside, I don't really understand the point in adding film grain. Of course, that could be because my brain seems to automatically add it in to everything I see. I'd gladly trade someone with normal vision for this film grain vision. :v:

You're not the only one, ME1 gave me a headache until I turned it off and I haven't played any game with it turned on since. Looks great in stills though.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Film grain is a great mechanism to give depth to rather flat looking things, like Gamebryo. It does get slightly overused and added to things that dont really need it but used well it's a pretty good thing.

fennesz posted:

Is this from an armor compilation mod? I ask because there's so few out there that aren't full of retarded anime poo poo or string bikinis.

It's in my armor compilation mod which I haven't finished yet. If you want that particular outfit you can find it here http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36511

Brace posted:

So what are some low impact shader mods that make the game look better? You guys have been talking about shaders a lot recently in the thread but there's like 6 different ones with a million different settings and it's Gamebryo so I don't know what single line of text is going to make my game run like molasses. :smith:

the guide I posted earlier in the thread is pretty much including low impact shaders, they don't pull on the performance that much, there's a lot of room to tune settings down in the enbseries.ini, its pretty straightforward and documented. Also it's safe to turn off DoF it's pretty erratic anyways.

Cubemario posted:

Cinematech when enabled causes severe frameskip/stuttering, anyone know why?
Try adjusting the setting "effect frames" (or similar, cant remember) down to 30-90 frames, that should help

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 12, 2011

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

fennesz posted:

Jill's BSAA outfit retextures

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Yup, that was one I just assumed was some retarded anime poo poo :v: Thanks.

@ Police Automaton, do you have a timetable for release? Just curious because armor variety is extremely lacking.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Schubalts posted:

How do we alter conditions for dialogue topics? I can't find any edit button. I think this is the last thing stopping me from copying the Stealth Suit AI onto another outfit.

Making the suit an invisible accessory would be cheating and I get to learn more about scripting this way.

FNVEdit or the GECK? In the GECK you should just have to double click on the condition to change it to something else...

Hah, that was old, oh well.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nevets posted:

You're not the only one, ME1 gave me a headache until I turned it off and I haven't played any game with it turned on since. Looks great in stills though.

The film grain in Cinematech can be set to be WAY less obnoxious than the ME1 film grain. That poo poo was terrible, but the problem was overdoing it, not doing it in the first place.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

I'm surprised that something so unoriginal stays on the nexus despite them being so anal about (misinterpreting) copyright and (abusing) intellectual property.

Its only saving grace is that its not sexualized.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Nope, that didn't help. In fact my performance took a huge hit once I installed those mods. The only one I really want is one that lets me change the lighting (contrast, brightness, tint) which one is that?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

fennesz posted:

Yup, that was one I just assumed was some retarded anime poo poo :v: Thanks.

@ Police Automaton, do you have a timetable for release? Just curious because armor variety is extremely lacking.

When I'm done with it. :D I sadly can't really tell. I constantly get sidetracked by small stuff like these shaders and haven't done much lately, but I've already a lot of armor pieces in. It's sorta like the armory, just for armors and with the plan to not include horrible anime armors and balance the stats of every armor in a way that they fit to vanilla armors and don't turn godmode on. I also have to slim down a lot of unneeded resources that mod authors put into their mods for whatever reason. One quite popular armor mod from the nexus I brought down from about 700 mb to about 90, without deleting anything that wasn't already in there. This stuff takes sadly a lot of time and is often pretty repetive.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Female-Only poo poo... :suicide:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Cubemario posted:

Nope, that didn't help. In fact my performance took a huge hit once I installed those mods. The only one I really want is one that lets me change the lighting (contrast, brightness, tint) which one is that?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

Electro-city Imaginator. I personally like Washed Out-Western with a slight tint tweak towards Cyan and Blue, Medium Soft Focus, Medium DOF and -2 Saturation.

Horrorclaus
Oct 10, 2008
Haha wow now I feel like a fool for recommending that. I haven't spent much time with it, but my first impression was that it was very well thought out and that it had quite a bit character. Ill give the survivalist's bunker a try, and that portable tent mod looks pretty good.

Ye Mighty
Feb 13, 2008
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Balls, ye Mighty, and despair!
Hopefully not being too much of a pest, but would anyone be able to take a look at my load order and see if something looks suspect?

Ye Mighty posted:

Might anyone here be able to help me out here? I've been having issues in VATS wherein the process still works, but it won't display the percentages and all the text appears to be dark, and in the wrong place, if it's there at all. It certainly seems like a UI issue, but I can't really figure out what might be causing the issue. Any thoughts?

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
SCAV.esm
AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm
More Perks.esm
The.Armory.esm
CINEMATECH.esm
ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esm
ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esm
UHNV.esp
UHNV-Dead Money.esp
UHNV-Honest Hearts.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp
Project Nevada - Honest Hearts.esp
Existence2.0.esp
Improved Sound FX.esp
Improved Sound FX - Gunshot Distance Tweak.esp
Improved Sound FX - Weapon Sharing Fix.esp
Improved Sound FX - DM.esp
Improved Sound FX - HH.esp
Improved Sound FX - HH Sharing Fix.esp
Improved Sound FX - OWB Sharing Fix.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
NewVegasBountiesII.esp
More Perks Update.esp
Tailor Maid - NV.esp
TGsArmorCollectionVegas.esp
w44Satchels - Full.esp
Comp_Idles_NV.esp
Follower Home Marker.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
Delay DLC - Dead Money.esp
Delay DLC - Honest Hearts.esp
Delay DLC - Old World Blues.esp
TWO BEARS HIGHFIVING.esp
WeaponModsExpanded.esp
Improved Sound FX - WMX - Weapon Sharing Fix.esp
WMX-ModernWeapons.esp
WMX-DeadMoney.esp
WMX-HonestHearts.esp
WMX-OldWorldBlues.esp
WMX-ArenovalisTextures.esp
EVE FNV.esp
FNVEnhancedShaders - AA-DOF Enable.esp
Vurt's WFO.esp
Nevada Skies - URWLHH.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Imaginator.esp
The.Armory.Cabinet.Addon.esp

Total active plugins: 54
Total plugins: 58

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
No ones gonna hate on you for liking Underground Bunker, it's not ~sexy anime ED-E~ or anything like that. Its got some features that a lot of us don't like, but they're not game killers. There's a difference between disagreeable design and "Holy gently caress, that is bad" design. :P

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Try re-installing Project Nevada and verifying your game's cache.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked in this thread before, but what mods, if any, are acceptable for a first run of New Vegas? My video card is pretty bad so I'm going to skip on any graphics mods that might impact my performance.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ye Mighty posted:

Hopefully not being too much of a pest, but would anyone be able to take a look at my load order and see if something looks suspect?

Does it do this without any mods loaded? It looks like you aren't using any UI mods, but I suspect an issue arising with Project Nevada.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The film grain in Cinematech can be set to be WAY less obnoxious than the ME1 film grain. That poo poo was terrible, but the problem was overdoing it, not doing it in the first place.

Yeah, Cinematech looks a lot nicer with less film grain, but for Old World Blues I cranked it all the way up to the highest setting and it really added to the old sci-fi atmosphere.

Also, to the guy asking about the shaders, start here: Director's Chair

Just download everything it says it needs, bind a key to open it in-game, and you can tinker around with a half-dozen different effects and filters.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked in this thread before, but what mods, if any, are acceptable for a first run of New Vegas? My video card is pretty bad so I'm going to skip on any graphics mods that might impact my performance.

Even with a bad video card, you can easily do the low NMC texture pack + poco bueno. Don't skimp on ALL of the graphics mods, just don't go crazy with them and add them one at a time.

That being said, you're probably gonna get a lot of people telling you to play through the game once vanilla before you start modding which isn't a bad idea beyond graphical mods + maybe a nice house mod.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If your video card is bad, it might actually be worthwhile to download NMCs small texture pack - supposedly they're optimized better than the default textures so you will actually IMPROVE performance while using it.

As for "what mods are acceptable", it all really depends on how much you want your experience to mirror the base game. Personally, I went modded out right from the gate, because I like the base game design, but I felt the options added by the mods I used made for a more interesting game without completely changing it.

Some good mods to start with:

Project Nevada - Core. The other modules tweak the game a bit more, but the core module itself is worth it even for a basic vanilla run, since it adds some really handy features like a dynamic FPS style crosshair, and a grenade hotkey. You can just disable any of the stuff you don't want through an in-game menu, too.

Delay DLC. Obviously this doesn't matter if you don't HAVE the DLC, but if you bought everything at once, this will make the DLC quests get added at more appropriate spots in the wasteland, rather that just dumping them all on you the second you leave character creation.

Some weather mod. There are a few options in the OP. There's also project reality which was brought up a few pages ago, which takes the opposite approach of the weather mods in the OP and gives the game a more STALKER look.

Operation fixed terrain. I haven't tried this one myself, but in theory it should be completely unnoticeable - it's more like a big world bugfix than a mod.

Things to avoid:
-Any mods that add new perks/traits. Most of them are not really balanced (nor meant to be), so they can kind of ruin the game if you don't know what you're doing.
-Any mods that change monster spawning/stats. Obviously this is going to change the gameplay dynamic significantly.
-Weapon/Armor mods. The Armory is great, but if you want the "Core game" experience, you should probably save any content additions for after you've completed your first go.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

The Cheshire Cat posted:

-Weapon/Armor mods. The Armory is great, but if you want the "Core game" experience, you should probably save any content additions for after you've completed your first go.

It might be my mod, but I agree. The only way you should use The Armory on your first playthrough is by only activating the test cabinets and having the massive willpower to only select ONE of your favorite RL weapons and then rolling with that until you reach the point in the game where you kill pretty much anything and are rolling in ammo and caps anyway.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Horrorclaus posted:

Haha wow now I feel like a fool for recommending that. I haven't spent much time with it, but my first impression was that it was very well thought out and that it had quite a bit character. Ill give the survivalist's bunker a try, and that portable tent mod looks pretty good.

There nothing wrong with liking Underground Hideout. I'm basing a little housing mod that I'm making on its earlier versions. It has a ton of really good ideas and its earlier versions were just about the best houses out at the time. Unfortunately it's also a great example of a modder who just kept piling poo poo rather than polishing what he had.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Naky posted:

It might be my mod, but I agree. The only way you should use The Armory on your first playthrough is by only activating the test cabinets and having the massive willpower to only select ONE of your favorite RL weapons and then rolling with that until you reach the point in the game where you kill pretty much anything and are rolling in ammo and caps anyway.

What I did was whenever I found a new gun/caliber, I would go to the cabinets and find something of applicable gun and caliber and replace the vanilla weapon with it.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Handy little mod for those who like to do multiple playthroughs - Alternate Start Extended - great for your multiple playthroughs, testing, and experimentations. They're essentially a collection of four savegames where he does all the essential tutorial poo poo as well as collecting the important items and loads you up in an area right before you can activate the screen to change everything. What separates it from a lot of the other fast start mods I've seen over a while is the level of professionalism the guy took towards it. This includes optionals for hardcore mode runthroughs.

Ye Mighty
Feb 13, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Does it do this without any mods loaded? It looks like you aren't using any UI mods, but I suspect an issue arising with Project Nevada.

Brace posted:

Try re-installing Project Nevada and verifying your game's cache.

An update... apparently this still occurs even with no mods loaded and re-install of Project Nevada and verifying the game cache didn't have any effect. I'm stumped. Could a mod have over-ridden a file that I needed so that even not having the mod loaded would cause the error to occur?

Also, Naky is there any special trick to installing the Armory? I installed the latest one by adding the data files to my NV folder and then opening the 7z file with FOMM, activating the Armory mod and the cabinet add-on and I'm still getting big red arrows over some folks. Easy Pete somehow ended up with what I think is a four-barrel shotgun and as much as I like him, I might need it...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Finally got the Stealth Suit AI onto different armor :toot:

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Ye Mighty posted:

An update... apparently this still occurs even with no mods loaded and re-install of Project Nevada and verifying the game cache didn't have any effect. I'm stumped. Could a mod have over-ridden a file that I needed so that even not having the mod loaded would cause the error to occur?

Also, Naky is there any special trick to installing the Armory? I installed the latest one by adding the data files to my NV folder and then opening the 7z file with FOMM, activating the Armory mod and the cabinet add-on and I'm still getting big red arrows over some folks. Easy Pete somehow ended up with what I think is a four-barrel shotgun and as much as I like him, I might need it...

Well, since this has helped me with a great deal of issues, search for your Fallout.ini and Fallout_defaults.ini, and delete both of them. Verify your games cache after doing that, and see if it works.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I'm getting some stuttering issues. Usually when I transition to a new area I'll end up stuttering pretty bad for about 5 seconds if I move my camera. I'll stutter just as bad if I switch to third person and move the camera to look at what is behind me. Here's my load order:

Load Order posted:

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
FNVToolkit.esm
rePopulated Wasteland.esm
MoMod.esm
Survivalist Bunker.esm
DarNifiedUINV.esp
BetterGamePerformanceV3.esp
Nevada Skies.esp
TWO BEARS HIGHFIVING.esp
FactionIDCards.esp
FatigueWeaponsFix.esp
EVE FNV.esp
Interior Lighting Overhaul-Realistic Interiors-Full.esp
SimpleStreetLights.esp
SimpleStreetLights (Extra Lights).esp
ILO-RI-PipBoy Light.esp
ILO-RI-Dead Money.esp
ILO-RI-Honest Hearts.esp
Sprint Mod.esp
Tailor Maid - NV.esp
Purge Cell Buffers.esp
FNVMerge.esp

Total active plugins: 25
Total plugins: 25

I also have the stutter remover installed, I edited the maximum fps according to the op and it looks like this:

sutterremover.ini posted:

bAllowSlowMotion = 1
MaximumFPS = 40
MinimumFPS = 10
iSmoothFrames = 0
iSmoothMode = 0
iSleepExtra = 2
iFPS_Frequency = 4000
iSchedulingParanoia = 1
iHardMaxFrametime = 200

Is there a fix for this or is the game always stuttering and buggy?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Everytime I replay this game I find something new, like these two burnt corpses in Nipton.

Their names are Owen and Beru

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nevets posted:

Everytime I replay this game I find something new, like these two burnt corpses in Nipton.

Their names are Owen and Beru

That's a Wild Wasteland encounter, so if you haven't been using that Trait before, that's why.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm always torn on Wild Wasteland. I like the Fallout 2-style craziness, but I also like the YCS-186.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

RickDaedalus posted:

I'm getting some stuttering issues. Usually when I transition to a new area I'll end up stuttering pretty bad for about 5 seconds if I move my camera. I'll stutter just as bad if I switch to third person and move the camera to look at what is behind me. Here's my load order:

I also have the stutter remover installed, I edited the maximum fps according to the op and it looks like this:

Is there a fix for this or is the game always stuttering and buggy?
Stutter Remover hasn't worked since the last patch I'm afraid. It needs to be updated, but appears to have been abandoned. Best bet for capping your framerate now is a 3rd party program like Dxtory (it's basically Fraps with a frame limiting option).

You should also check out the 4GB enabler, letting the game use more RAM can resolve some stuttering problems. If you're using the script extender, you'll need the version that works with it. Either way, go to nvse.silverlock.org (link for the NVSE version is towards the bottom in the frequently asked questions section).

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Oh Nexus, never change. If you're considerably bothered that the default character noises are too manly for the 9 year old boy you're RPing, someone has done some custom VA work for you.

http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34919

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ye Mighty
Feb 13, 2008

Brace posted:

Well, since this has helped me with a great deal of issues, search for your Fallout.ini and Fallout_defaults.ini, and delete both of them. Verify your games cache after doing that, and see if it works.
Unfortunately that's not working for me either. So far, I've completely de-activated every mod, deleted both the Fallout.ini and the Fallout_defaults.ini, then verified the game cache and the problem persists. I can't come up with anything that might help short of a full uninstall and reinstall, but I just spent the last two days downloading and installing all the mods I wanted and I'm not sure if I can bring myself to do it again. I just want to know the odds of whether I'm going to be able to pop some dude in the head. Is that so much to ask?