Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ok that's what I figured.

Another question. I'm signing up for the EPRP Everything Data 1600 minute shared plan with two Mot Photon 4Gs, which brings the monthly total to $129.99. Can someone tell me the exact total I'll actually be paying per month after all the taxes/fees/other bullshit is figured in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

caiman posted:

I'm about to sign up with Sprint for the first time. Can someone tell me if I can combine my AAA discount with the EPRP plan? If so, how do I go about doing this?

Go with EPRP btw, discounts are only more feasible once you hit 15% or greater (although its close).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So it looks like the USB on my EVO 4G is borked. I thought maybe it was the outlet or the cable that was messed up but I tried a couple outlets and even tried my friends charger. The phone just won't charge at all and it's dead now.

Can I walk into a Sprint in the morning and get it replaced right there? I have the TEP and all that. I just really need a phone for this coming week.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Skeezy posted:

So it looks like the USB on my EVO 4G is borked. I thought maybe it was the outlet or the cable that was messed up but I tried a couple outlets and even tried my friends charger. The phone just won't charge at all and it's dead now.

Can I walk into a Sprint in the morning and get it replaced right there? I have the TEP and all that. I just really need a phone for this coming week.

Don't let them charge you for it. It happen to me last year and I had to pay $100 to replace it with TEP. It is my understanding now since it was such a big issue with the EVO that it should be free to replace/fix.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Don't let them charge you for it. It happen to me last year and I had to pay $100 to replace it with TEP. It is my understanding now since it was such a big issue with the EVO that it should be free to replace/fix.

That's what I wanted to hear. I'll fix it up early in the morning.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

If the pins are completely torn off its physical damage, if they are not it is warranty. I think most of these cases are warranty, you should be covered.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

caiman posted:

Ok that's what I figured.

Another question. I'm signing up for the EPRP Everything Data 1600 minute shared plan with two Mot Photon 4Gs, which brings the monthly total to $129.99. Can someone tell me the exact total I'll actually be paying per month after all the taxes/fees/other bullshit is figured in?

I'm pretty sure nobody can give you an accurate final cost down to the penny, as the taxes vary even by county.

I'm in Los Angeles and the taxes and Sprint surcharges total out to around $17-18 each month.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So Sprint wasn't able to give me a new EVO as soon as I needed but the lady there did say I could get a Nexus S by Monday as opposed to waiting a week or so for the EVO.

I went for it Samsung and all. I hope I did the right thing. It didn't cost me anything so whatever.

Edit: How's the S anyways? It looks alright to me but how's the rooting and all that for it?

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 12, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Skeezy posted:

Edit: How's the S anyways? It looks alright to me but how's the rooting and all that for it?
It's not a Samsung device in the way that's problematic--the software is completely controlled by Google.

It has a slightly better CPU/GPU than the Evo, a smaller PenTile AMOLED screen, better DAC, but only 16 GB of on-board storage and no micro-SD slot. So it's not strictly better or worse, depends what you prioritize. Only major downside is that folks were complaining of radio reception issues, I'm not sure if they were fixed yet or not.

Good news is that it's trivially rootable, Google has made it unlockable by design. It's also likely to be the first or second device to get an official ICS upgrade, second/third to officially run ICS at all.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sounds good then. Funny thing is that the EVO wants to charge just fine now. Seems like it doesn't want to leave. I dunno though I'd like a new phone to mess around with.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Skeezy posted:

So Sprint wasn't able to give me a new EVO as soon as I needed but the lady there did say I could get a Nexus S by Monday as opposed to waiting a week or so for the EVO.

I went for it Samsung and all. I hope I did the right thing. It didn't cost me anything so whatever.

Wow I would love to trade my EVO for the Nexus S. Knowing my luck I would get one of the new EVOs that are not rooted yet.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Galaxy S2 announcement coming 8/29

:dance:

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

They're going to announce the release date for...late September maybe? I think they're going to get clobbered for waiting this long with an iphone 5 announcement imminent.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Appachai posted:

They're going to announce the release date for...late September maybe? I think they're going to get clobbered for waiting this long with an iphone 5 announcement imminent.

Not clobbered. You never know, but its just gonna be 50% Android, 50% iPhone sales wise, it'll be pretty even.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I've got a 14% office depot discount applied to my account and when I upgraded to a family plan yesterday, I asked the dude on telesales if he could possibly upgrade me to the higher UPS discount. He said he had no guarantees but that he'd submit the request in their system and that it goes up to some department for approval. What are the chances I will get the higher discount?

sl0wturtle
Jul 5, 2011
I just upgraded from the HTC Hero to the Nexus S 4g a few days ago. AWESOME PHONE SO FAR!

I accidentally scratched it somehow, probably gonna buy some scratch remover and put a screen protector over it. I dont carry keys since I dont have a house or car or carry change really.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
So I just upgraded to SERO premium over the phone and as my itchy trigger finger hovers over adding the Evo 3D to my cart, I noticed some google hits on it overheating. Is this a minor fluke for some random people or should I hold off?

Also, do I need to wait for my account to actually convert to premium before ordering?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sl0wturtle posted:

I dont carry keys since I dont have a house or car or carry change really.

You live in a cardboard box with your Nexus?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was wondering the same thing...I don't own a house either...but I still have keys...

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

There are some deadbolts/other locks that have a keypad on them, so you don't necessarily have to have your keys in that case.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

yellowjournalism posted:

So I just upgraded to SERO premium over the phone and as my itchy trigger finger hovers over adding the Evo 3D to my cart, I noticed some google hits on it overheating. Is this a minor fluke for some random people or should I hold off?

Also, do I need to wait for my account to actually convert to premium before ordering?
If you chose to immediately switch to SERO Premium, then yeah, you can place your order. If you chose to have it apply starting on the next billing cycle, then you can't.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Can I buy an Evo 3D on Wirefly for the lower price and try to dodge vicious CA tax for my SERO premium plan or will that screw it up?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's not a Samsung device in the way that's problematic--the software is completely controlled by Google.

It has a slightly better CPU/GPU than the Evo, a smaller PenTile AMOLED screen, better DAC, but only 16 GB of on-board storage and no micro-SD slot. So it's not strictly better or worse, depends what you prioritize. Only major downside is that folks were complaining of radio reception issues, I'm not sure if they were fixed yet or not.

Good news is that it's trivially rootable, Google has made it unlockable by design. It's also likely to be the first or second device to get an official ICS upgrade, second/third to officially run ICS at all.

Sprint/Google released Android 2.3.5 on July 25th, I believe. It fixed issues with wifi / 3G/4G but some people complain of random reboots but I've only heard of those from people on Android Central's forums.

It also removes the bug that allowed people to tether for free.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

visuvius posted:

I've got a 14% office depot discount applied to my account and when I upgraded to a family plan yesterday, I asked the dude on telesales if he could possibly upgrade me to the higher UPS discount. He said he had no guarantees but that he'd submit the request in their system and that it goes up to some department for approval. What are the chances I will get the higher discount?

They always go through is the secret. Let's hope he never gets audited, that would probably get him fired (dont fret, that's his risk).

yellowjournalism posted:

Can I buy an Evo 3D on Wirefly for the lower price and try to dodge vicious CA tax for my SERO premium plan or will that screw it up?

No, wirefly will gently caress up your plan. Get it through sprint.com, that's the safest , extra $100 is worth not losing your plan. Also, only very few overheat, I wouldn't fret.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dear Duckman2008, is the discount 19% for ebay/paypal employees per this mailer I received?

E: thanks.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 13, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

Dear Duckman2008, is the discount 19% for ebay/paypal employees per this mailer I received?

I will check tomorrow, but sounds about right.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Good news for Photon owners: looks like someone's gotten root without having to use the $100 dock.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1216131

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I'm looking to sell my HTC Hero now that I've upgraded. I've done a factory reset on the phone and erased all of my data however I noticed when I go into the Phone Identity settings it still shows my phone number and my sprintpcs.com username. Is this normal until someone else gets the phone and activates it? Or is there a way to erase that information as well?

I want to be sure I'm resetting/erasing everything correctly before selling it.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Protip posted:

I'm looking to sell my HTC Hero now that I've upgraded. I've done a factory reset on the phone and erased all of my data however I noticed when I go into the Phone Identity settings it still shows my phone number and my sprintpcs.com username. Is this normal until someone else gets the phone and activates it? Or is there a way to erase that information as well?

I want to be sure I'm resetting/erasing everything correctly before selling it.

Dial ##786#, hit the menu button, choose reset, and enter your MSL. That removes all programming info and sets the phone to how it was when you got it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I jumped on that 20% + free shipping deal on the seidio site and my stuff came today. I picked up the surface case with the kickstand built in which I guess is brand new...and also the convert case/holster for when I'm working and need some decent protection. The surface case is decent, but my one concern was the kickstand could only be used with the camera upright thus blocking the microusb port. Thankfully you can use the thing in either direction and portrait just fine. Pretty happy with my buy.

Edit: forgot to mention this was for the Evo 3D

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Are there any real good cases for the Nexus S? I feel like going all out on the new phone next week and getting a nice case for it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

E: thanks.

Yes, it is 19%.

Edit: Added this to the OP, thanks I forgot all about it!

McPhearson posted:

Dial ##786#, hit the menu button, choose reset, and enter your MSL. That removes all programming info and sets the phone to how it was when you got it.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 13, 2011

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

McPhearson posted:

Thanks for the tip. I haven't ever done this before though and I'm completely unfamiliar with what my MSL is or how I might find it. I googled around and couldn't really find a straight answer. It looks like it might be something I have to contact Sprint to get? Or is there another method?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Protip posted:

Thanks for the tip. I haven't ever done this before though and I'm completely unfamiliar with what my MSL is or how I might find it. I googled around and couldn't really find a straight answer. It looks like it might be something I have to contact Sprint to get? Or is there another method?

If you're rooted: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.esccode.msl&feature=search_result

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Are there any real good cases for the Nexus S? I feel like going all out on the new phone next week and getting a nice case for it.

I use a pretty good case that I got from the corporate store for $25.

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
Ugh okay, after holding off on updating my phone I finally did it because it wouldn't sync properly and I thought that may fix it.. so it updated fine and then I went to change my skin, and as soon as I did that I got this all white screen with HTC in the middle and now I can't use my phone. Anyone know how to fix this?

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
So I am due for an upgrade, and completely ready to retire my palm pre. I've been looking at the Evo 4G, but the reviews on site have about half of the people saying the battery is miserable. Do you guys have any opinion's re: Evo 4G's battery?

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
Factory reset got my phone back... lost all my programs/contacts/settings but whatever, at least it works again. Makes me scared to change my skin.

sl0wturtle
Jul 5, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

my parents dont give me keys to their house, plus im in college so im always coming and going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
What is the status on the official update to give full system access for the Evo 3d?