Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lord Gaga posted:

Oil pressure low but not non existent or possibly turbo making GBS threads itself?
I will say that this sounds a lot like the sludge issues of the VW 1.8T accelerated.
Loss of power due to oil turning into a solid slowly followed by oil starvation as the oil pump gets clogged. This takes a while though.
Oil pickup tube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Also this is rather terrifying. I was thinking about doing a few power mods to my 02 with 105k now that my suspension is about done. Thinking no now.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

c355n4 posted:

Stupid question; but, did you check the oil at any point during this?

Oil was full at all times. Yes checked several times.

Turbo was still hitting 17psi at 3100rpm in 5th gear. Doubt it's blown.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Lord Gaga posted:

Also this is rather terrifying. I was thinking about doing a few power mods to my 02 with 105k now that my suspension is about done. Thinking no now.

Wrong. Do the power mods. Stage 2 upgrade was the best thing I ever did to my WRX. Wait til I see this "Stage 3" bit through before going further though :)

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
I have a question about my 2011 impreza. The low fuel light seems to come on way too early. It always comes on when the fuel gauge is around where it is at in this stock photo. Do I need to take it in to the dealer and get it re calibrated or fixed?

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
Mine comes on when the gauge reads like 1/8th of a tank (2011 wrx)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mine comes on in the '11 when it drat well feels like it.

Same deal in my '02 as well. The low fuel light doesn't seem to be connected with reality in any way, shape, or form and never has.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
That actually seems like a good idea for it to come on that early to make sure you notice you need more gas instead of having to stop and be late on the way to work the next day or something.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

In my 98 the low fuel light doesn't come on until the needle is well below the E mark. Gotta pay attention to that light.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

2011 2.5i light comes on exactly when the needle is at 1/8th. I thought it was too early the first time I saw it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

bull3964 posted:

Hey, I'm ahead of the curve then by owning two!

Well..... 06, 07, 04 STI and seriously looking at picking up a 93 WRX for a restore project as well as a MY12 STI to replace the 06 for road duties

gently caress, kill me now. I'm collecting Subarus :cry:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm suspecting the knock sensor on my Outback Sport is tightened with a little more than the factory spec of 17.4 ft lb as I can't remove it for poo poo. It's soaking in liquid wrench right now.

I guess I might as well follow the factory manual and remove the airbox to get a bigger ratchet in there. :(

e: Also, what are my sway bar options for a GF wagon? I'm seeing that the big names have turbo and non-turbo options for front sways, and the turbo ones will rub against a nonturbo header and exhaust. I found a few non-turbo options but they seem to top out at 22mm. There's some rumbling that a 25mm Tribeca sway might fit, though. Eh, I'll keep it stock for rallyx.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 12, 2011

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Txiuct posted:

I have a question about my 2011 impreza. The low fuel light seems to come on way too early. It always comes on when the fuel gauge is around where it is at in this stock photo. Do I need to take it in to the dealer and get it re calibrated or fixed?

That's what mine does too, from when it comes on I've done 50 miles averaging 23mpg. When the gauge drops below the last white mark I typically have around 8-10 more miles out of it.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
So it looks like my 08 STI has got the infamous loss of compression in cylinder #4. This motor only has 10k miles on it since it was installed to replace the original motor with the spun rod bearings at 20k miles. I'm still waiting to hear what Subaru is going to do about it, here's hoping it's covered under warranty...again.

My question is that last time they replaced the engine they asked me if I wanted to replace the clutch while they had everything apart saying it would be cheaper than getting it done on its own eventually. They said it would be around $800 and that it was "worn" but they couldn't say how worn. I opted not to do it since the car only had 20k miles on it and I don't launch hard or slip the clutch much and my 9-2x had plenty of clutch life left when I sold it at 65k miles. The STI now has around 30k miles on it and they're going to be pulling the engine apart again so I've got two questions:

1. Should I consider changing the clutch at this time?

2. If so, does anyone have any suggestions on what to get and where or should I just have them install another OEM unit?

I'm familiar with some performance parts for Subarus but I have no clue what is good or bad or what I need regarding a clutch. I wasn't sure if the STI has some high performance clutch that wears out faster or something so I figured I'd ask. For reference, I've never had to replace a clutch in any of my cars before and one of them had 120k miles on it when I sold it with the original clutch so I'd say I'm generally pretty easy on them. I autocross the car sometimes but don't drag or track it so it probably has pretty normal wear. I'm supposed to hear tomorrow regarding what they're going to do so if I need to order something I should probably do that before the weekend.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
You should be fine, but while it's apart they certainly could check to see how worn it is. I'm betting it's fine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lazor posted:

So it looks like my 08 STI has got the infamous loss of compression in cylinder #4. This motor only has 10k miles on it since it was installed to replace the original motor with the spun rod bearings at 20k miles. I'm still waiting to hear what Subaru is going to do about it, here's hoping it's covered under warranty...again.

My question is that last time they replaced the engine they asked me if I wanted to replace the clutch while they had everything apart saying it would be cheaper than getting it done on its own eventually. They said it would be around $800 and that it was "worn" but they couldn't say how worn. I opted not to do it since the car only had 20k miles on it and I don't launch hard or slip the clutch much and my 9-2x had plenty of clutch life left when I sold it at 65k miles. The STI now has around 30k miles on it and they're going to be pulling the engine apart again so I've got two questions:

1. Should I consider changing the clutch at this time?

2. If so, does anyone have any suggestions on what to get and where or should I just have them install another OEM unit?

I'm familiar with some performance parts for Subarus but I have no clue what is good or bad or what I need regarding a clutch. I wasn't sure if the STI has some high performance clutch that wears out faster or something so I figured I'd ask. For reference, I've never had to replace a clutch in any of my cars before and one of them had 120k miles on it when I sold it with the original clutch so I'd say I'm generally pretty easy on them. I autocross the car sometimes but don't drag or track it so it probably has pretty normal wear. I'm supposed to hear tomorrow regarding what they're going to do so if I need to order something I should probably do that before the weekend.
My (2005) warranty covered the clutch for 3yrs/36k mi.
Everything I've seen is that the sti clutch is better for life, but this is compared to the legacy GT whose clutch is notoriously soft.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

nm posted:

My (2005) warranty covered the clutch for 3yrs/36k mi.
Everything I've seen is that the sti clutch is better for life, but this is compared to the legacy GT whose clutch is notoriously soft.

I'm not really worried about it being worn to the point of needing replacement. I'm wondering if it would be worn enough to justify spending the money now to replace it while they've got the engine apart rather than spending more down the road when it really needs it. They've already replaced my front brake pads under warranty and I'm hoping I can wear down the rears enough to be replaced before November when the warranty runs out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Lazor posted:

I'm not really worried about it being worn to the point of needing replacement. I'm wondering if it would be worn enough to justify spending the money now to replace it while they've got the engine apart rather than spending more down the road when it really needs it. They've already replaced my front brake pads under warranty and I'm hoping I can wear down the rears enough to be replaced before November when the warranty runs out.
I was autocrossing with a guy who has beat the poo poo out of (track days, drags, AX) a SM (non-stock turbo, I'd assume) STI last weekend who was at 100k on stock clutch

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Lazor posted:

Clutches and brakes can be described as worn as soon as you've engaged them one time. It sounds like that dealership lives up to the stealership title. 20k on a clutch and they say it's worn to the point where they'd advise replacing it? And they'll only charge you $800 for the pleasure? I trust they at least offered the lube for free.

tl;dr NO

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Amandyke posted:

Clutches and brakes can be described as worn as soon as you've engaged them one time. It sounds like that dealership lives up to the stealership title. 20k on a clutch and they say it's worn to the point where they'd advise replacing it? And they'll only charge you $800 for the pleasure? I trust they at least offered the lube for free.

tl;dr NO
I would note that if it is worn to the point they would (honestly) advise replacing it it is now wearing abnormally and you should demand warranty coverage.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Amandyke posted:

tl;dr NO

Maybe I worded it a little wrong, but they didn't advise me to change it last time they just said it was "worn" and when I asked how worn and worn enough to be replaced they pretty much said no. They said that it was their policy to stop and ask me if I wanted to change it at that point no matter what the condition since they already had the engine apart and they basically needed my ok to proceed. It sounded funny to me since it only had 20k miles on it but I guess they're supposed to ask regardless of condition which is why I opted not to change it. For some reason brake pads are covered under their warranty, that's why they replaced them for free.

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

I have some casual/driving shoes size 45. Never worn too big for me. I have worn these same shoes all year in a smaller size and they are great. Not as narrow as Puma but not large by any means. Suede Sparco pit lane. These are now discontinued and the replacements (Esse) suck IMO. I'm offering $45 shipped (US) to the Subaru crew before I put these in the general sale.

I liked these so much I have been trying to find a similar replacement for weeks. I tried the Piloti but feel they are too clunky. There is this new running shoe style called barefoot running. There are those foot glove shoes but some other more practical/less weird designs. The whole idea is super thin soles and lightweight materials. Awesome for driving and my preferred daily shoe. Most are very ergonomic and well made. I am trying a pair of Vivobarefoot shoes and they are great for pedal feedback and have super thin soles.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I wish they made driving shoes that looked like normal shoes.

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

These are what I'm wearing now. Vivobarefoot Aqua. This picture is super saturated. More subdued colors in person

These Merrell Tough Gloves were a consideration and could pass in a lot of business situations and adhere to the super thin sole.

for me the key is sole thickness. The foot is really a complicated extremity with many nerves. Much of them subconsciously give you information about the surface you are standing on. Many overly cushioned shoes actually promote incorrect walking and running because it absorbs impacts that would otherwise hurt you. I never felt comfortable with the super thick cushioned shoes. I am a drummer and like to drive three pedal cars. I always perform much better either totally barefoot or with my driving shoes. The Aquas have a removable insole reducing thickness from 5 to 3mm. Actual driving shoes today are quite limited and not great as far as I could find. Pumas are too narrow and stupid Sparco discontinued the only good ones. Race shoes are a different story but expensive and weird looking.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Lowclock posted:

I wish they made driving shoes that looked like normal shoes.
Some pumas look pretty close.
Too bad puma driving shoes seem to be made of cardboard. They lasted like 6 months. My pilotis lasted 3 years and I think I wore them more.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've been watching craigslist and an STi muffler finally popped up, they also happen to have an STi intercooler up for grabs as well. Is the intercooler worth it as part of going to stage 2 or not really worth it until other nebulous future-type things have been done.

Edit: Any use for an STi stock BOV? I don't think so, but may as well ask.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 14, 2011

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
You can grab the IC if it's $200 or less. It's not necessary until you go to a bigger turbo but who knows what the future holds:D

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

$225 for the Intercooler, couplings and Y-Pipe. $250 if I want the BOV too.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Eh, that's a normal price. I'd skip until (if) you decide to go to a bigger turbo.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
eBay intercoolers are bigger and cheaper than that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think I figured out why my car is throwing a knock sensor code!

New one on order.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Lord Gaga posted:

eBay intercoolers are bigger and cheaper than that.

ebay intercoolers don't intercool for poo poo.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

jamal posted:

Yeah.

Also if you're gonna get an STi intercooler you'll need an STi splitter (modified for your stock scoop). So yeah I vote no.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

jamal posted:

Really? Theyre huge by comparison I am surprised to hear that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seat Safety Switch posted:

e: Also, what are my sway bar options for a GF wagon? I'm seeing that the big names have turbo and non-turbo options for front sways, and the turbo ones will rub against a nonturbo header and exhaust. I found a few non-turbo options but they seem to top out at 22mm. There's some rumbling that a 25mm Tribeca sway might fit, though. Eh, I'll keep it stock for rallyx.

Unless you're hitting 50mph on course, I don't think changing swaybars will make a huge dynamic difference.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

here's a Garrett intercooler core:

Here's an e-bay core:

So just from the picture you can see why the crappy core will hardly provide any cooling to the charge air.

And here's an ETS Subaru top mount:

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 14, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Unless you're hitting 50mph on course, I don't think changing swaybars will make a huge dynamic difference.
Yeah, I doubt it. If I can hit 50mph in a gravel parking lot with this thing, I might have a future in the WRC. They make a huge difference in autocross on tarmac, so I figured if I could find a set of sways from someone's crashed JDM WRX, I'd be golden. I'll just save my profiting-from-disaster budget for things that matter more.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Jamal, do you think it's worth upgrading the intercooler on a 3rd gen wrx? I've got reinforcements on the plastic endtanks of the stock IC now, and the car won't ever see more than 20 psi on the stock turbo. On the other hand, the stock IC sucks in the summer and Perrin top mounts are only $600.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, I doubt it. If I can hit 50mph in a gravel parking lot with this thing, I might have a future in the WRC. They make a huge difference in autocross on tarmac, so I figured if I could find a set of sways from someone's crashed JDM WRX, I'd be golden. I'll just save my profiting-from-disaster budget for things that matter more.

I dont even run swaybars on the front for dirt. It's approx 2 secs a km faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

blargle posted:

Jamal, do you think it's worth upgrading the intercooler on a 3rd gen wrx? I've got reinforcements on the plastic endtanks of the stock IC now, and the car won't ever see more than 20 psi on the stock turbo. On the other hand, the stock IC sucks in the summer and Perrin top mounts are only $600.

The perrin ic is nice and will work with any of the stock location upgrades out there. Blouch LGT-480 for example.