Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Levitate posted:

I must just be retarded because I could never figure out the original Zork games. I always just wandered around and never really got anywhere and then it felt like I got stuck with nowhere else to go and just quit because it was boring

It's not like I haven't played text adventure games before, Zork just didn't seem to click for me

You're not retarded; the Zork games come from the same design philosophy as King's Quest, ie, "toss in a bunch of puzzles with nonsensical solutions and make it really easy to die to die or make the game unwinnable".

There's a reason I didn't get into either text adventures or point-and-click adventures until very recently, and that's that ADVENT+Zork and King's Quest were my introductions to the genres. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Andrigaar posted:

Was there much diving in MP2? I always think of going into a standing super-ultra-slow-mo-badass-360-rotate reload animations with a color filter and I think early motion blur.

Correct, diving was much better in MP1.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Hakkesshu posted:

I just looked up some videos. I had forgotten how hilarious God mode is in that game. "HWUUUUUUURM"

Shadowborn posted:

Yeah, what the hell is up with that sound? My sister used to freak out when she heard it.
I read somewhere that it's based on sounds John Romero would make while running around Wolfenstein 3D levels with noclip on, shooting nazis from inside the walls.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Levitate posted:

I must just be retarded because I could never figure out the original Zork games. I always just wandered around and never really got anywhere and then it felt like I got stuck with nowhere else to go and just quit because it was boring

It's not like I haven't played text adventure games before, Zork just didn't seem to click for me

Zork: Grand Inquisitor is better, and awesome, and you should buy it!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Fil5000 posted:

Isn't Build exactly the same in that regard? I remember making Duke3D levels years ago, and diving underwater was handled by teleporting to another area, as were supposedly vertical lifts.

While the Wolf3D engine couldn't understand any real height differences or non-straight corners, true; they're both 2.5D. The rendering was always founded on a two-dimensional sector map, but Build could still do slopes, complex shapes and honest-to-god height differences.

Sector scripting tags allowed actual, non-illusory elevators, scripted environment deformation and the "underwater is really miles away" teleport hijinks. It was all about avoiding visible sector overlap.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Which level in Jazz Jackrabbit was like a castle with a lot of spikes in it (maybe bats)? I've always wondered because when I looked through the levels recently in game I didn't see it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

macnbc posted:

So, uh, speaking of GOG..

All Zork titles are 40% off this weekend.

No catches with this one.

Any specific recommendations / titles to avoid in the series?

Good thing I stalled on my purchase of Grand Inquisitor, I can get the whole lot on the cheap! I love the whole Zork series, even pain-in-the-rear end Return to Zork (maybe don't play that one), but at the very least, if anybody is remotely interested in the series, Grand Inquisitor is a must-buy. It also as Dirk Benedict, whom you all may remember as Face from The A-Team (the good TV series), Lt. Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica (the good TV series), or Harry Smilac from the movie Body Slam which also starred Roddy Piper and Captain Lou Albano (I'm old). That should be more than enough of a reason to buy the game.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jazz Jackrabbit may have been an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of Sonic, but honestly it felt more like Bubsy than anything to me. I can't understand why people look back on it with such fondness, other than the PC being such a wasteland for platformers back then that Jazz Jackrabbit just sort of won by default (and the same goes for One Must Fall).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
People love Jazz Jackrabbit because the game was fun. It was simple, and there was something satisfying about it.

That's not to say I don't criticize the game at all. There are places where reacting the enemies can be impossible. Some of the levels are just too sprawling and open ended to navigate in a fun manner. But hey, it was fast and it was fun. Sometimes you just need a gun and an anthropomorphic headliner to make something that people will love.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

At least Jazz doesn't struggle like a fat man carrying a fridge on his back to get up a 15-degree incline from a standstill. :colbert:

In all seriousness I admit the game really hasn't aged well, mostly between between the low resolution making enemies undetectable until they're point blank (which they at least fixed for JJ2), and the very hit-and-miss level design. One thing it got right on the money when aping Sonic, though, was the incredible soundtrack, which was mostly what I was referring to.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

MonkeyforaHead posted:

3. 486 PC - Holy poo poo, speakers? Sound card??

Wow, I'd actually forgotten that was a thing at the time. You're right, that was amazing. Long live SB16.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

sethsez posted:

Jazz Jackrabbit may have been an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of Sonic, but honestly it felt more like Bubsy than anything to me. I can't understand why people look back on it with such fondness, other than the PC being such a wasteland for platformers back then that Jazz Jackrabbit just sort of won by default (and the same goes for One Must Fall).

And speaking of Bubsy, it totally looks like an Ulillillia game, too.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Hakkesshu posted:

Dude, there's at most 3 layers of parallax scrolling in Jazz Jackrabbit, compared to the nearly infinite amount of detail Ulillillia puts into his backgrounds.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Harmonica posted:

Wow, I'd actually forgotten that was a thing at the time. You're right, that was amazing. Long live SB16.

In a roundabout way, the SoundBlaster was what made me a PC gamer.

Up until 1990, most of my time was devoted to console stuff. In the 80s I had various TRS-80s and Cocos (my dad was a long-time Radio Shack devotee), and we finally got an IBM compatible PC in the late 80s. In 1988, I bought Battletech: The Crescent Hawks' Inception (in glorious CGA!) and that opened me up to PC stuff.

Then, in 1990, my dad got me a 386. The following spring, I talked him into buying me Wing Commander, a joystick and a SoundBlaster card.

:aaa:

After watching this sequence for the first time, I knew PC games could be loving awesome.

Each release of a WC game, I'd tell my dad it was coming and he'd smile and say, "How much is it setting me back this time?" Fortunately my dad was (and still is) a huge tech geek, so he loved getting this stuff and messing around with it.

True story, installing WC2 with the speech pack fried my PC's hard drive at the time, so we had to get a new one. That was the longest three days of my life waiting for the new hard drive to arrive. WC3 particularly brought on an epic session of wrangling with EMS/XMS to get that one to work, and also heralded the first CD drive for a PC I owned. Man, keeping up with Origin games was expensive back in the day.

It was a banner day for me when I got a 486/DX2 and could play finally play X-Wing at less than a crawl.

God, I'm old, aren't I?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bruteman posted:

In a roundabout way, the SoundBlaster was what made me a PC gamer.

Up until 1990, most of my time was devoted to console stuff. In the 80s I had various TRS-80s and Cocos (my dad was a long-time Radio Shack devotee), and we finally got an IBM compatible PC in the late 80s. In 1988, I bought Battletech: The Crescent Hawks' Inception (in glorious CGA!) and that opened me up to PC stuff.

Then, in 1990, my dad got me a 386. The following spring, I talked him into buying me Wing Commander, a joystick and a SoundBlaster card.

After watching this sequence for the first time, I knew PC games could be loving awesome.

Each release of a WC game, I'd tell my dad it was coming and he'd smile and say, "How much is it setting me back this time?" Fortunately my dad was (and still is) a huge tech geek, so he loved getting this stuff and messing around with it.

True story, installing WC2 with the speech pack fried my PC's hard drive at the time, so we had to get a new one. That was the longest three days of my life waiting for the new hard drive to arrive. WC3 particularly brought on an epic session of wrangling with EMS/XMS to get that one to work, and also heralded the first CD drive for a PC I owned. Man, keeping up with Origin games was expensive back in the day.

It was a banner day for me when I got a 486/DX2 and could play finally play X-Wing at less than a crawl.

God, I'm old, aren't I?

Same boat here man, except three of us clubbed together to get the Wing Commander pack that had the two expansion packs with it. After playing it with PC speaker sound, our school got a single "multimedia PC" with a caddy type CD rom drive and a Soundblaster card. Being the school tech geeks we installed Wing Commander on it.

It was night and day. We'd all played for ages on our home PCs with stuff like F-19 stealth fighter and the sub sim Wolfpack, but this just kicked all of their arses. We all talked our parents into various upgrades for the PCs we had (I ended up with a 486 with a Soundblaster, one guy had a 386sx with -an absurd 16mb of RAM and a Roland LAPC-1 and the last guy had a 386Dx with a ridiculous 100mb drive). Between us we'd have one decent PC, but independently they were all just sort of ok. Still, got me into PC gaming and I've never really left...

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I played X Wing on a 25mhz processor and the game was ok until I got to the Death Star surface and the game was impossible to run :(

Falcon 3.0 was always a blast though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I played X Wing on a 25mhz processor and the game was ok until I got to the Death Star surface and the game was impossible to run :(

Falcon 3.0 was always a blast though.

Oh gently caress yeah. I had my squadron pilots all renamed to my friends and classmates and hated losing any of them. Same for XCOM as well.

I kinda miss simulators with Falcon 3s level of detail - modern ones are more realistic but that means a learning curve like a cliff - I got DCS A-10 recently and I just can't get into it because of the complexity of even getting to fire the gun, never mind anything else.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

scamtank posted:

While the Wolf3D engine couldn't understand any real height differences or non-straight corners, true; they're both 2.5D. The rendering was always founded on a two-dimensional sector map, but Build could still do slopes, complex shapes and honest-to-god height differences.

Sector scripting tags allowed actual, non-illusory elevators, scripted environment deformation and the "underwater is really miles away" teleport hijinks. It was all about avoiding visible sector overlap.

Actually, duke3d allowed you two "floors", one directly above the other as long as the floors and ceilings of the overlapping areas are never visible on the same plane. It was basically exploiting a limitation of the Build engine that would create "true" 3D.

Build engine was pretty awesome for what it could do with.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bruteman posted:

:aaa::respek::aaa:

My dad got Wing Commander Special Edition when it came out, and that game completely blew me away. I've still got the blueprints and Claw Marks, too.

We were both loving terrible at it, though. We didn't keep up with the Wing Commander series, because neither of us could make it past the second star system in WC1.

I went back and actually beat it (and WC2) a few years ago. Still haven't found any flight games that compare. :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can see your character's legs in Wing Commander. Modern games are a step back on every level.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hakkesshu posted:

Not enough drowning.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking of X-Wing what are the chances of any Lucasarts games making it to GOG? I guess a lot of the scummVM games don't really need to as they run fine on most modern systems.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Speaking of X-Wing what are the chances of any Lucasarts games making it to GOG? I guess a lot of the scummVM games don't really need to as they run fine on most modern systems.

There was a while there where it probably was a possibility. They got a bunch of their games on Steam, after all. But the entire studio has been completely dormant and pushing out poo poo upon poo poo for several years going now. I don't think they even have any projects in the works now other than Star Wars Kinect, which is no doubt going to be horrendous.

I doubt anything interesting is going to happen with Lucasarts, new or old, until they get some new management. I imagine they are running with a skeleton crew at the moment.

Edit: Ha, they aren't even developing Star Wars Kinect. That's Terminal Reality. No, I'd say that if they didn't have the Lucasarts name, they wouldn't even exist at this point.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 14, 2011

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

There was a while there where it probably was a possibility. They got a bunch of their games on Steam, after all. But the entire studio has been completely dormant and pushing out poo poo upon poo poo for several years going now. I don't think they even have any projects in the works now other than Star Wars Kinect, which is no doubt going to be horrendous.

I doubt anything interesting is going to happen with Lucasarts, new or old, until they get some new management. I imagine they are running with a skeleton crew at the moment.

Edit: Ha, they aren't even developing Star Wars Kinect. That's Terminal Reality. No, I'd say that if they didn't have the Lucasarts name, they wouldn't even exist at this point.

Except they remade the Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2 internally so you are completely wrong.

I imagine there are two big stumbling blocks with rereleasing X-Wing though:
1) Nobody owns a joystick anymore
2) Anyone who played/still plays space sims would have played Freespace 2. The X-Wing games simply can't hold a candle to that in terms of quality and it'll show far too much.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I imagine there are two big stumbling blocks with rereleasing X-Wing though:
1) Nobody owns a joystick anymore
2) Anyone who played/still plays space sims would have played Freespace 2. The X-Wing games simply can't hold a candle to that in terms of quality and it'll show far too much.

1st point: bullshit. :keke:
2nd point: true, Freespace 2 is great, but you are forgetting that a) we are talking about the X-Wing series, so the nostalgia factor will kick in (like it does with most games on GoG.com), b) it's a Star Wars game, so even if a) doesn't apply, there's still that going and c) X-Wing and (especially) TIE Fighter still hold up even today, with fun gameplay, interesting missions and atmosphere (the latter more prevalent with TIE Fighter, obviously, but it's still there even in X-Wing).

I can see Lucasarts using that as a justification, but I don't think it really applies, especially with the PC market.
Besides, the X-Wing franchise is still well known and I remember all the people screaming bloody murder when Bioware said that space combat in The Old Republic would be a simple rail-shooter.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Except they remade the Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2 internally so you are completely wrong.

Right, but around a third of the internal studio was laid off last year. I doubt there are a lot of people left. Also those remakes aren't nearly as good as they could/should have been. Clearly the only decent products they've put out in years, though.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 14, 2011

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
May be nostalgia, but I like tie fighter way more than Freespace 2.

Freespace 2 had too much of a realistic military atmosphere for me, and the secret objectives and shadowy emperor's club just made tie fighter a fantastically flavoursome experience.

Also I simply found the gameplay of tie fighter more fun, I was absolutely terrible at any freespace mission involving capital ships.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Hakkesshu posted:

Right, but around a third of the internal studio was laid off last year. I doubt there are a lot of people left. Also those remakes aren't nearly as good as they could/should have been. Clearly the only decent products they've put out in years, though.

I've known lots of people who worked at LucasArts, they seem to fire everyone at the drop of a hat if sales don't meet what they expected.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

RollerCoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack is on GOG for $9.99

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

obese retard posted:

RollerCoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack is on GOG for $9.99

I was considering buying this until I found out that it's RCT3 which has a fast-forward button, not RCT2. Sucks that you can reach your goal in a few months in the first game, then have to wait for two years before the level is complete.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Centipeed posted:

I was considering buying this until I found out that it's RCT3 which has a fast-forward button, not RCT2. Sucks that you can reach your goal in a few months in the first game, then have to wait for two years before the level is complete.
But in RCT3 there is no goal (or any real challenge). Get RCT3 if you want to do sandbox making crazy rollercoasters, get RCT1/2 if you want to do the scenarios.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

jvempire posted:

But in RCT3 there is no goal (or any real challenge). Get RCT3 if you want to do sandbox making crazy rollercoasters, get RCT1/2 if you want to do the scenarios.

Well, that's lame. Sawyer needs to go back and add a fast-forward button to RCT2!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, I just want to build crazy parks, watch people throw up and die. Looks like I'm waiting for RCT3.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

If you want to watch people die in your park then RCT3 is the worst choice of the bunch, since they can't.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard

sethsez posted:

If you want to watch people die in your park then RCT3 is the worst choice of the bunch, since they can't.

You can do this though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQrC_C6SexI

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Does the GOG version at least let you run the game in a loving window? I mean seriously, who plays RCT fullscreen? It takes so drat long to finish scenarios, you have to alt-tab away to do other poo poo while waiting for year 3 to roll around...

jvempire
May 10, 2009

sethsez posted:

And that too... Basically RCT3 is gimped with everything except rollercoaster making.

If only RCT 1 and 2 got some open source project like TTD :(.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

ChibiSoma posted:

Does the GOG version at least let you run the game in a loving window? I mean seriously, who plays RCT fullscreen? It takes so drat long to finish scenarios, you have to alt-tab away to do other poo poo while waiting for year 3 to roll around...

You can play RCT1 in a window, but not 2. The option isn't there, and all usual work arounds don't work. The only option really is to run it in a virtual machine, since the VM is usually windowed anyway.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

jvempire posted:

And that too... Basically RCT3 is gimped with everything except rollercoaster making.

If only RCT 1 and 2 got some open source project like TTD :(.

Oh well, maybe I can load up enough cheats and trainers in 1 to make it a sandbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
What is the difference between RCT1 and RCT2? They look exactly the same. Does the second game have so much more stuff in it to justify twice the price? Am I missing out on anything if I skipped the first game and only get the second one?