Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I really want a San Andreas sequel, but I hope the next GTA isn't that. They need to get their footing back and make a real GTA game before they take a crack at a sequel to the greatest game of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derryck Catskills
Jun 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Paradox Personified posted:

I've tried to google this with various boolean terms, but to no avail...
Anyone here read a lot of GTA IV wiki's, or such?
I would love a guide that lists the GTAIV main missions, plus tLatD & tBoGT, along with some type of flowchart/list mechanism that would allow those of us with both DLCs to go and play them in chronological order.. A few in IV, one or two in the others, then back to IV for one mission, then further the story by missions in the other packs.
Am I asking something too insipid or implausible?

First result for "gta wiki" on google.

http://gta.wikia.com/Main_Page

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Derryck Catskills posted:

First result for "gta wiki" on google.

http://gta.wikia.com/Main_Page

Also, a guy called Robert Allen Rusk writes excellent walkthroughs/references for the GTA series. You don't have to use them as walkthroughs if you just take his TOCs and play the missions in that order. The only time you should follow his exact indications is when you're out hunting for the collectables. I don't know how I would have nabbed all the pigeons without that guy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Having taxi rides/working subway and GPS routes is easily the best feature in GTA IV, aside from having a cheat menu on the phone instead of entering 50 different buttons everytime on the console versions.

Anyway, I hope that GTA V ends up being like GTA 1 - remember how in that game you started in Liberty, moved on to San Andreas (tho GTA 1 San Andreas is basically San Fierro only) and then finally got to Vice City. Maybe Liberty City and Vice City get expanded into more "state" like areas like San Andreas (which itself should end up having each of the actual cities expanded to the size of Liberty in IV if you ask me). You'd probably be stuck needing to fly a plane or buy a plane ticket to get between the areas of course.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

trandorian posted:

entering 50 different buttons everytime on the console versions.

Maybe you are not a real man and can't do the codes in less than 1 second :colbert:

Seriously entering codes in a button sequence was 100X better than the dumb phone menu. So much more reliable and faster.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'd love to see them make an SA type game set in their version of Florida. I don't expect it to happen though, it seems like it would take way to long to design it at the level of detail they'd need.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
They should do one set in the rust belt where your character dies of ennui at the end

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cliff Racer posted:

I'd love to see them make an SA type game set in their version of Florida. I don't expect it to happen though, it seems like it would take way to long to design it at the level of detail they'd need.
Have you really paid attention to the detail in GTA4? Its insane, I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure they didn't copy/paste any buildings. I think it's hard to notice because really besides times square the city is pretty ugly, but its a very detailed ugly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

trandorian posted:

Having taxi rides/working subway and GPS routes is easily the best feature in GTA IV, aside from having a cheat menu on the phone instead of entering 50 different buttons everytime on the console versions.

Anyway, I hope that GTA V ends up being like GTA 1 - remember how in that game you started in Liberty, moved on to San Andreas (tho GTA 1 San Andreas is basically San Fierro only) and then finally got to Vice City. Maybe Liberty City and Vice City get expanded into more "state" like areas like San Andreas (which itself should end up having each of the actual cities expanded to the size of Liberty in IV if you ask me). You'd probably be stuck needing to fly a plane or buy a plane ticket to get between the areas of course.

So you want a game that comes on 9 DVDs?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MeinGott posted:

Maybe you are not a real man and can't do the codes in less than 1 second :colbert:

Seriously entering codes in a button sequence was 100X better than the dumb phone menu. So much more reliable and faster.

Up A Up A A - Full Health, Armor, Car Repair, High-Tier Weapons with Full Ammo in GTA IV (once you entered the code once on the keypad)

Now write out how to get all those in SA or VC or III!

Cojawfee posted:

So you want a game that comes on 9 DVDs?

San Andreas' play area (besides all the blank generic ocean around it) is 10 square miles (3.2 miles by 3.2 miles). GTA IV's Liberty City is about 10 square miles as well, but more of a rectangle shape. One of those terrible True Crime games had a like 40 square mile play area just fine on a DVD...

Besides, most people with a 360 or PS3? They've got a nice beefy hard drive, and they "install" all their games off the optical disk to the drive just fine. If I have to install 9 DVDs to play a massive GTA game on my Xbox so be it!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Cage posted:

Have you really paid attention to the detail in GTA4? Its insane, I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure they didn't copy/paste any buildings. I think it's hard to notice because really besides times square the city is pretty ugly, but its a very detailed ugly.

If there is one thing Rockstar North excels at: it's designing cities to the tiniest detail. Seriously, GTA4 has such incredible attention to the small things it's pretty humbling. Especially if you either live in or recently visited NYC. No other developer can touch them in that area when it comes to open-worlds.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

trandorian posted:

San Andreas' play area (besides all the blank generic ocean around it) is 10 square miles (3.2 miles by 3.2 miles). GTA IV's Liberty City is about 10 square miles as well, but more of a rectangle shape. One of those terrible True Crime games had a like 40 square mile play area just fine on a DVD...

Besides, most people with a 360 or PS3? They've got a nice beefy hard drive, and they "install" all their games off the optical disk to the drive just fine. If I have to install 9 DVDs to play a massive GTA game on my Xbox so be it!

Look how big LA is in LA Noire, look at all the detail in it. That game came on three DVDs. And you have to put each DVD in to play each section even if you install. You're asking for too much in one game with the level of detail you're expecting.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Look how big LA is in LA Noire, look at all the detail in it. That game came on three DVDs. And you have to put each DVD in to play each section even if you install. You're asking for too much in one game with the level of detail you're expecting.

LA Noire is on 3 DVDs solely because of the facial animations, which are essentially full motion video captures of each actor's face. With traditional facial animation the game would have been less than a third the size.

Also every True Crime game looked like crusty dog poo poo, 40 square miles or not. It would be pretty tough to fit (good) art assets for that much space with the level of detail Rockstar has established in past games.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

trandorian posted:

San Andreas had a lot of empty areas though - a lot of that space is taken up by the rivers and country areas that just didn't have much beyond scattered housing and a few easter eggs. In contrast, Liberty City is just simply packed full of stuff - there are hardly any large empty areas in it. Not to mention it's a much more "vertical" map than San Andreas (more tall buildings), plus you can enter way more of Liberty City's buildings.

Personally I'd love to see the San Andreas map concept extended to cover a whole continent, but realistically that won't happen with this console generation (or the next, if ever). The number of world designers, artists and modellers you'd need for a project the size of GTAIV is just mindblowing!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

That's LA Noire's fault. Also there's this weird new disc for the PS3 they say it holds as much as 6 DVDs or more!! Crazy I know. Also you can download games on the 360 right from the store, even GTA IV!

Seriously I'd put up with a stack of 888,000 floppy disks to play a modern GTA game that has all the 3 cities of GTA 1, with GTA IV level of detail, and expanded into "states" ala San Andreas.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
How...is that LA Noire's fault? :psyduck:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Doesn't Microsoft have a rule you can't have a mandatory installation? That hosed over ME2 somewhat.
Unless they changed it.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

There's some weird poo poo going on in my GTA4 game. I just finished the story and a few in-game days later I got a call from "Unknown Caller".

(story spoilers)
The caller introduced herself as Kate McReary and she asked me to go out on a date! But Kate is supposed to be dead, she died on Roman's wedding. She appears as "Unknown Caller" because Niko removed her from the phonebook after her death. So I went on the date and she's alive and doing well! Didn't get her phone number back after that date though.

Later Kate called again and told she's going away because of Niko's life of crime.

Maybe this all happens on Niko Bellic's mind?

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Undead Zombie posted:

There's some weird poo poo going on in my GTA4 game. I just finished the story and a few in-game days later I got a call from "Unknown Caller".

(story spoilers)
The caller introduced herself as Kate McReary and she asked me to go out on a date! But Kate is supposed to be dead, she died on Roman's wedding. She appears as "Unknown Caller" because Niko removed her from the phonebook after her death. So I went on the date and she's alive and doing well! Didn't get her phone number back after that date though.

Later Kate called again and told she's going away because of Niko's life of crime.

Maybe this all happens on Niko Bellic's mind?

That happened to me too,I think its a common glitch.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cage posted:

Which is exactly what I was saying? That an SA type game (with multiple cities and all) would be impossible to do because they wouldn't be able to extend the detailing done in IV out to a big enough size due to memory limitations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
How do you know that? When GTA3 came out it needed a pretty beefy computer to run well and it was probably because they were working with a brand new engine than the previous games. Then Vice City came out in the same but optimized engine and it ran better on the same computer you played GTA3 on. Then SA came out with an even heavier modified engine and it added a ton of new content.

I think the same thing is going to happen with GTA4 and the next game in the series. You saw a little taste of this in GTA4:TBoGT, where in a mission I forget who its for, but it took place on top of a moving subway train. They were able to do something new with the physics engine that maybe they weren't able to figure out in time for the release of GTA4, being that everything was new. Clearly this is all a guess, but it makes sense to me that the next game will be improved upon in many aspects based on past release history.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That reminds me, with a PC version of LA Noire coming, and it and GTA4 sharing the same engine, what are the chances someone will successfully mod it into 1940s GTA:LA?

In terms of content, all you'd really need to do is drop a bunch of weapons all over the map...:commissar:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zedd posted:

Doesn't Microsoft have a rule you can't have a mandatory installation? That hosed over ME2 somewhat.
Unless they changed it.
Yes, because they still sell a 360 without a hard drive for $200, and all games have to be playable by those people.

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006

John Dough posted:

That reminds me, with a PC version of LA Noire coming, and it and GTA4 sharing the same engine, what are the chances someone will successfully mod it into 1940s GTA:LA?

In terms of content, all you'd really need to do is drop a bunch of weapons all over the map...:commissar:

They don't use the same engine.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I thought they did, that's disappointing :(

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
GTA uses Rockstars RAGE engine and LA NOIRE uses something team bondi made. I think.

Point is, they're different in more then one way.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

GTA uses Rockstars RAGE engine and LA NOIRE uses something team bondi made. I think.

Point is, they're different in more then one way.

Yeah, the LA Noire engine was built in-house by Team Bondi. And I wouldn't expect a cross-over any time soon, given all the stories that have emerged about Team Bondi since LA Noire's release.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Bondi uses Havoc, no?

As for Xbox drives, can anyone recommend the largest possible non-MS hdd (250Gb I think) that the Xbox will take without going tits up? I asked before and looked around a lot, but didn't see conclusive answers.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Underflow posted:

Bondi uses Havoc, no?

Havoc isn't a stand-alone engine, but a third-party physics plugin. So it may use Havoc (I can't remember), but that doesn't mean it's compatible with other games that do (Oblivion springs to mind).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

Which is exactly what I was saying? That an SA type game (with multiple cities and all) would be impossible to do because they wouldn't be able to extend the detailing done in IV out to a big enough size due to memory limitations.

Memory limitations are basically immaterial. The game never loads the entire playfield into memory at the same time. If you mean storage limitations it isn't really true either. The download version of GTA IV for 360 isn't even a full DVD size, it's 6.5 GB. You could fit at least 7 copies of the entire GTA IV game on a PS3 Blu Ray double-layer disc. That alone would be enough to fit an expanded San Andreas state (with the cities expanded to IV's LC in size and corresponding expansions of the empty spaces), a bigger LC if not a state-ified LC, and a Vice City at least expanded to IV's LC if not a state. You could probably fit more since not all of the space taken up in GTA IV would need to be copied in all of them. If you split the game into chapters like old Playstation RPGs did you could easily have everything be massive "states" on different discs and moving on to another "state" or flying back would have you change discs.

Maybe it would have to be a download only game on the 360, oh well. There's been a few of those, mostly games that weren't too big but never got disc releases in America, only a Games On Demand release. It wouldn't be a problem on the PC to use all the space you want either.

Anyway GIVE ME A LUDICROUS AMOUNT OF GTA ROCKSTAR. I'LL DO 800 MISSIONS AND COLLECT 400 CARS FOR EXPORT AND SHOOT 6000 HIDDEN SPURTING DICKS BRING IT ON!!

Underflow posted:

Bondi uses Havoc, no?

As for Xbox drives, can anyone recommend the largest possible non-MS hdd (250Gb I think) that the Xbox will take without going tits up? I asked before and looked around a lot, but didn't see conclusive answers.

An official 320 GB Xbox 360 hard drive is coming out soon. I've heard people have used 1 terabyte drives tho, although you can't play disc-based original Xbox games anymore, only XBL downloaded original Xbox games if you do that?

drivebyhobo
Jan 13, 2011

Zedd posted:

Unless they changed it.
Well they could copy what Id did with RAGE and just not bother with trying to make it enjoyable to play on non hard drive systems.

@Trandorian
GTA III : 1GB
GTA SA : 4.2GB
GTA IV : 16GB

if it grew at the same rate for a statified gta V the xbox would have some serious problems with storage.

drivebyhobo fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 13, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Zedd posted:

Unless they changed it.

wa27 posted:

Yes, because they still sell a 360 without a hard drive for $200, and all games have to be playable by those people.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 13, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

drivebyhobo posted:

Well they could copy what Id did with RAGE and just not bother with trying to make it enjoyable to play on non hard drive systems.

@Trandorian
GTA III : 1GB
GTA SA : 4.2GB
GTA IV : 16GB

if it grew at the same rate for a statified gta V the xbox would have some serious problems with storage.

16 GB is bigger than a single DVD, which is what GTA IV comes on on the 360. I have it Games On Demand on my Xbox 360 and it's 10.2 GB - that's with me also having Lost and the Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony on there, they're both a bit under 2 GB themselves. Similarly, I download GTA:SA as an Xbox Original on my 360 and it takes up 2.8 GB - where's 4.2 GB from?

Is 16 GB the PC version with all the extra stuff and episodes? Similarly, is 4.2 GB SA the PC version?

frumpsnake posted:

Doesn't Halo: Reach not let you do everything unless you have a hard drive?

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Those are the figures for the PC installs, although SA is closer to 4.8 GB on my system IIRC. The 16 GB for GTA4 is the base game without expansions. I would assume the increased size is due to the higher-fidelity assets. Anyway, if they did make a GTA with the detail of IV on the scale of SA, it would almost certainly be for the next generation of consoles rather than the current one.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
New Vice City rage trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG3WzQsm9Vc

Holy gently caress

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Himuro posted:

New Vice City rage trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG3WzQsm9Vc

Holy gently caress

:sbahj:

The colors look amazing. It's like an Open World OutRun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't like it. The water and reflections clash with the graphics of Vice City and make them look even more dated. And the floppy physics of GTAIV cars doesn't fit the style of GTAIII games.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

I don't like it. The water and reflections clash with the graphics of Vice City and make them look even more dated. And the floppy physics of GTAIV cars doesn't fit the style of GTAIII games.

Floppy? Really?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

trandorian posted:

An official 320 GB Xbox 360 hard drive is coming out soon. I've heard people have used 1 terabyte drives tho, although you can't play disc-based original Xbox games anymore, only XBL downloaded original Xbox games if you do that?

Great, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

trandorian posted:

Floppy? Really?

Did you see the cars in the video? Most of them looked like they were on comically floppy springs with the body nearly rolling off the frame whenever they turned.

• Locked thread