Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Was looking for funny examples of Deus Ex's voice talent for the PS3 games thread, and stumbled upon... this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFB4cjXOCA

That's awesome. The cat models in Deus Ex are adorable, and this video just had me rolling. :3:

The entirety of that mod is that awesome. It led to plenty of annoying catchphrases between me and my friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WnBeglPl7s&t=6m0s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

ToxicFrog posted:

Steam runs fine in Wine; furthermore, if your distro has PlayOnLinux in the repositories (it should), that has a canned Steam config - which means it will automatically handle downloading and installing Steam, a Steam-friendly wine version, and all of the dependencies.

Do that, buy and install Doom 2, grab the IWADs from the Steam install directory.

Perfect - I can't believe I'd never heard of PlayOnLinux before now!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
My goodness Brutal Doom is just about the best thing I have ever played.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Like I've been saying, it's the only Doom mod that makes Doom even Doomier. I recorded a little bit of gameplay footage of it here for anyone who hasn't tried it yet - I'll probably record some more tonight or tomorrow on a less brown level to show off other aspects of it.

And yes, I do use the regenerating health module. It really helps minimize bullshit - having just enough health (it only takes you up to 36%) to soak up a single cacodemon shot usually gives you just enough life out of cover to get to the nearest proper health pickup.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah it still feels like Doom but everything has been brought up to modern standards. It's fun as hell and most importantly plays great.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Funny that, I just gave it a proper try today with the 2011 music and it's completely loving crazy how much carnage you can cause within seconds of entering a room. I love walking back through a level after reaching the exit and seeing the whole place coated from floor to ceiling with blood, gibs and bullet holes. Can't quite figure out how to to this 'meat shield' thing I keep hearing about, though.

Also is it just me or are there more enemies than there used to be?

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

Brutal Doom is good enough to make me replay both Dooms and as many WADs as I can stomach. I have a hard time imagining Doom without all of the blood splattering and the "gently caress YOURSELF" button.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Brutal Doom is basically the ideal FPS in its purest form. Doom 4 just needs to be Brutal Doom with modern graphics in order to go down as the greatest video game of all time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
How do you kick and do other executions and such in Brutal Doom? I didn't see anything in the keybindings about it.

e: also Brutal Doom makes me really sad that they've not released the source for Blood so we could see awesome poo poo done to that game too

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

How do you kick and do other executions and such in Brutal Doom? I didn't see anything in the keybindings about it.

e: also Brutal Doom makes me really sad that they've not released the source for Blood so we could see awesome poo poo done to that game too

Check your keybindings in GZDoom or Skulltag, there's a few specially related to Brutal Doom with that name over the keys (scroll way down in the keybinding list), usually puts Q as default for kick, R for reload and F for gently caress YOURSELF animation.

Blood with an Eduke32 alike port would own, now that they made real room-over-room possible.

Mr_Person posted:

Brutal Doom is basically the ideal FPS in its purest form. Doom 4 just needs to be Brutal Doom with modern graphics in order to go down as the greatest video game of all time.

Id pay full price for this :allears:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Doom is one of those games I can't stand to see modified. I really like all the stuff Brutal Doom does, but I wouldn't be able to enjoy it because, as Doom-esque as all of that stuff is, it just isn't Doom. Vanilla all the way.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Guillermus posted:

Blood with an Eduke32 alike port would own, now that they made real room-over-room possible.

Real room-over-room? How is that possible within the confines of the Build engine?

Or is it done through portals as a trick like in Blood?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, I went and made that new Brutal Doom video. Better levels, but not a better player. I'm really not very good at this, despite decades of experience. Oops.

I do at least chainsaw a LOT of things to death.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Yodzilla posted:

Real room-over-room? How is that possible within the confines of the Build engine?

Or is it done through portals as a trick like in Blood?

I think it's real room over room. There were tricks with getting rooms over each other in the original Duke 3D, too, but it involved not being able to see both rooms at the same time.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's true room over room. It's supported natively in the map format instead of being a hack involving sector effectors. The only downside is that there are limitations with what you can make when using the software renderer. Though if you're using polymer the sky is the limit, you could make a 1:1 remake of a quake level if you wanted (it would be difficult and there might be some collision errors though).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

Perfect - I can't believe I'd never heard of PlayOnLinux before now!

It's kind of unpolished, but even in its current state it's drat useful. I've just started using it for everything; even when it doesn't have a canned config, its ability to manage multiple wine versions and keep different windows programs in different wineroots makes it useful.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!
Is it possible to put Ragdoll enemies and/or physics in a source port for a 2.5D game?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Most open source physics libraries tend to be coded in c++ as opposed to plain old c. It would be rather difficult (though not impossible) to use a modern lib like that on such ancient code.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

That and I don't know that any source port ever actually got skeletal animation which is fairly key to the concept. Maybe Doomsday did?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Is it possible to put Ragdoll enemies and/or physics in a source port for a 2.5D game?

Technically yes, with the source, but it'd be a big undertaking. I prefer sprites over 3D models in the games anyway.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I love the OP. So many good memories.

I'd like to thank Unreal for bringing one of the more obnoxious blights to the early FPS world. Really overdone coloured lighting EVERYWHERE!

DrBox fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 13, 2011

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

UT is there. Unreal isn't though.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

SwissCM posted:

UT is there. Unreal isn't though.

Noticed after, woops! Edited my post.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
I'm new to this whole Doom source ports thing. How do I load multiple WADs in Skulltag? Or combine (though I don't think that is the right way)? I'd like to play this 10x mod on other level packs with my buddies, but none of us have any idea how to get them both to load. I have a feeling that I'm just not searching for the right terminology or method, and don't know what the correct answer would look like.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Thistledown posted:

I'm new to this whole Doom source ports thing. How do I load multiple WADs in Skulltag? Or combine (though I don't think that is the right way)? I'd like to play this 10x mod on other level packs with my buddies, but none of us have any idea how to get them both to load. I have a feeling that I'm just not searching for the right terminology or method, and don't know what the correct answer would look like.

In this particular instance I imagine you can select both WADs and drag it onto the Skulltag exe.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In this particular instance I imagine you can select both WADs and drag it onto the Skulltag exe.

I swear by Quickly Launchering GZDoom (over in the OP) - really helps set up complex combos of files and switching between mods easily.

Edit: Something I both love and hate about Brutal Doom: Fighting cyberdemons in close quarters is TERRIFYING now. Why? Because rather than being nice and predictable and firing rockets all day long, they occasionally fire bouncing impact grenades instead, which are really good for bouncing into a room and killing you dead.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 13, 2011

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Vertigus posted:

Technically yes, with the source, but it'd be a big undertaking. I prefer sprites over 3D models in the games anyway.

I always imagined something like "sprite shading". Basically, the same method behind cel shading only the 3D model comes across as a 2D sprite with choppy animation.

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST
Not sure how this hasn't been posted yet considering it's about as good as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCX1YeammPI

uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

tween_spirit posted:

Not sure how this hasn't been posted yet considering it's about as good as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCX1YeammPI

uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu

Now somebody needs to combine this with Nuts.wad

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Has anybody else combined The Ultimate Torment and Torture with Brutal Doom? It is sublime. I wasn't sure it would work but it loaded up and it's one of the most glorious things I've played. :aaaaa:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Boy, Brutal Doom is kind of awesome. I was setting up a new firewall today and forgot I had gzdoom installed on the pc I was using to configure it. I thought, hey, people were talking about that Brutal Doom mod, maybe I'll try it!

It's... awesome. :aaa:

I'm not terribly far, playing episode 1 on ultra, but it's a lot of fun so far. And just amazingly difficult, this game isn't loving around

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Has anybody else combined The Ultimate Torment and Torture with Brutal Doom? It is sublime. I wasn't sure it would work but it loaded up and it's one of the most glorious things I've played. :aaaaa:

It works with most other mods that aren't total conversions, just so long as you load Brutal Doom last so that it overrides any weapon/effects replacements. It just doesn't apply the new gore to any new monsters, sadly.

It's a robust piece of hyperviolence.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't even TRY to run it with Deus Vult 2. The cacodemon room in Level 1 is almost unplayably slow, and Minas Morgul becomes unplayable before enemies even appear!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 14, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Please tell me Brutal Chex Quest is a possibility.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Please tell me Brutal Chex Quest is a possibility.
It's absolutely a possibility technically, it just needs someone demented enough to port all the code changes to the Chex actors and someone bored enough to draw a shitload of new animations for all the characters.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Brutal Doom and Alien Vendetta really go do hand in hand, due to AV's love of filling rooms full of 'popcorn' enemies, resulting in regular scenes like this:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Dominic White posted:

Brutal Doom and Alien Vendetta really go do hand in hand, due to AV's love of filling rooms full of 'popcorn' enemies, resulting in regular scenes like this:

Where's the middle finger in this photo, why is your gun still out.

I do not get it.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I combined Brutal Doom with Delta Invasion.

almighty_monkey
Sep 2, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I read through this thread and then downloaded brutal doom and now I'm a better human being than I was a few short days ago.

Knowledge is always a beautiful thing, and I've learnt that every game ever now needs a 'go gently caress yourself' button.

Even Mario.

Actually, especially Mario.

Thanks thread.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Maxwell Adams posted:

I combined Brutal Doom with Delta Invasion.

On that note, have there been any good Invasion packs released in the past year or two? I remember a big community one that may or may not have imploded due to community drama, but haven't actually seen anything major come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

So I can finally host games with my new internet provider. I just have to disconnect the router. I tried all the setting and it still won't work. Quick fix for the win.

If anyone is interested in playing something, I would be happy to host.