Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kainser posted:

Shireen Baratheon is a secret Targ.

vvv: also that

Baratheons in general are secret Targs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine
Way back when I read CoK in highschool, I interpreted Dany's vision of Rhaegar calling Aegon The Prince That Was Promised as meaning that Aegon really was the PTWP and that the reason why things were so endlessly lovely was that the prophesied hero had his head smashed against a wall as a baby.

I kinda wish my idea had turned out to be true.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hollis posted:

I am also pretty sure that John is Azor Ahai ; the dragons out of stone can be metaphorical and most certainly is. BTW Dragons out of Stone could refer to Greyscale.

Jon will gently caress Shireen and make baby Targs (dragons) out of stone (Shireen's greyscaled womb)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Are you know at the end of it all knock up Dany as her womb is described as barren stonelike and it'd make sense.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
They may have covered this in the book, but who exactly defends the Faith during their trials by combat? Can they choose a champion, or do they have to choose someone from the Faith? I wonder if Kevan Lannister would be chosen to face Robert Strong?

Edit: whoops meant Lancel.

KillRoy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 13, 2011

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Going to laugh my rear end off if they for some reason can choose Jaime.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

KillRoy posted:

They may have covered this in the book, but who exactly defends the Faith during their trials by combat? Can they choose a champion, or do they have to choose someone from the Faith? I wonder if Kevan Lannister would be chosen to face Robert Strong?
I hate to break this to you, but Kevan was kinda assassinated :smith:

If you mean Lancel: He's been described as basically a withered shell of the man he used to be. I don't think he'd be chosen. A fairly common theory is that the Hound will be chosen to fight to determine Cersei's innocence or guilt, but I personally think that it'd be a bit to convenient and go against Sandor letting the Hound die.

e; And that's assuming that the monk on the isle Brienne visited really was Sandor.

e2; And we don't really know much about Trials by Faith, seeing as how they were reinstated very recently.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 13, 2011

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
I'm not really seeing the logistics of Sandor participating in any future events, really. Besides his character arc basically being over, how would anyone find him, or why would he leave the monastery?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Ambiguatron posted:

I'm not really seeing the logistics of Sandor participating in any future events, really. Besides his character arc basically being over, how would anyone find him, or why would he leave the monastery?

The Faith puts out the word that they need a champion for the Trials, Sandor hears about it and decides to put an end to his brother's evil.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Because this series is so starved on plots to tie up that what it needs is to go get old characters out of retirement even though they had a perfectly meaningful ending :rolleyes:

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

NihilCredo posted:

Because this series is so starved on plots to tie up that what it needs is to go get old characters out of retirement even though they had a perfectly meaningful ending :rolleyes:

I'd be pretty happy if he stayed away, but saying that it's difficult for it to be him is pretty dumb.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

Unoriginal Name posted:

The Faith puts out the word that they need a champion for the Trials, Sandor hears about it and decides to put an end to his brother's evil.

You mean decides to fight this mysterious Ser Robert Strong.

Also: it seems pretty clear to me that Melisandre realized who the real AA was and did something to intervene in his impending assassination (which she saw in her fires of course).

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
I don't give a drat who fights Robert Strong, as long as there is a point where his helmet gets knocked off and we see what's under than helmet. GRRM haven't given any clues to what it is yet, has he?

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Yes he's pretty much hit you over the head with it. It's Tywin's shrunken head

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
Incredible! I can't wait for his inevitable showdown with Tyrion on dragonback.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

BTW, it's not specific to the latest book, but it has always cracked me up that Viserion has cream-colored scales with gold horns, wing bones and crest.

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
Maybe GRRM is keeping that in his back pocket for the inevitable dragon rapes Dany scene. She did awaken the dragon after all...

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

oogyboogs posted:

Maybe GRRM is keeping that in his back pocket for the inevitable dragon rapes Dany scene. She did awaken the dragon after all...

:stare:

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
I know, I know- Drogon would prolly get first crack at that. I just hope she's ready. You know what they say about black dragons.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

They called Balerion "The Black Dread" for a reason.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Yes he's pretty much hit you over the head with it. It's Tywin's shrunken head

I totally missed this. Where has this been hinted at/mentioned in the books?

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009
It was a jape. Words are wind, nuncle.

I actually feel like a huge moron for asking this, but what does "words are wind" mean? Like is it part of some bigger, more famous saying or does he just mean words are bullshit?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

oogyboogs posted:

It was a jape. Words are wind, nuncle.

I actually feel like a huge moron for asking this, but what does "words are wind" mean? Like is it part of some bigger, more famous saying or does he just mean words are bullshit?

Yeah it just means words are no more than air so if you want to show me you're serious about something, stop shooting air out of your mouth and prove you can slam with the best

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ambiguatron posted:

Sandor joins the Knights Militant arm of the church.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Rootbeer Baron posted:

Yeah it just means words are no more than air so if you want to show me you're serious about something, stop shooting air out of your mouth and prove you can slam with the best

Its probably the single most overused phrase in the book.

Words are wind GRRM, Finish your loving books.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
"Words are wind" is just a more polite "your word is worth a mummer's fart".

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Sandor joins the Knights Militant arm of the church.

Why would he do that, though? It's a big leap from an entire life of "I am no 'ser'" to that.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Ambiguatron posted:

Why would he do that, though? It's a big leap from an entire life of "I am no 'ser'" to that.

IIRC Sandor never became a Knight because he found them all to be corrupt generally lovely people not because he had a problem with knighthood in general. Being a knight of the church would give him a chance to join a group of non-lovely knights.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Sandor with a crippled leg versus the necromantic golem of his stronger brother. I thought the idea was that Sandor finally worked through his death wish.

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe
Wasn't one of Bran's first dreams in GoT a golden armored man and a steel dog fighting an armored giant with no head? So my guess would be Jaime and Sandor both end up fighting Gregs.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

2 cripples vs an unfeeling killing machine. Taking all bets!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Aurubin posted:

Maybe Sandor can fight on Jayme's back.

Edit: and form Mecha-shiva...

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 13, 2011

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Aurubin posted:

Jaime fights it first as Cersei's champion, knocks it's helmet off, but loses to the undead giant. With "Strong"'s identity made blatant, Sandor comes out of hiding to put down his brother once and for all.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Maarak posted:

Jaime fights it first as Cersei's champion, knocks it's helmet off, but loses to the undead giant. With "Strong"'s identity made blatant, Sandor comes out of hiding to put down his brother once and for all.

Isn't Strong fighting for Cersei in the first place?

oogyboogs
Jun 21, 2009

Curl_like_smoke posted:

Wasn't one of Bran's first dreams in GoT a golden armored man and a steel dog fighting an armored giant with no head? So my guess would be Jaime and Sandor both end up fighting Gregs.

From the book

"There were shadows all around them[the Starks]. One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood."

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Oh wow, in retrospect that's pretty interesting. Though I can't help but think instead of Jaime its going to be either somebody from Dorne or maybe Aegon or something.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
The Kingsguard have white armor in the books, however.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Aurubin posted:

Sandor with a crippled leg versus the necromantic golem of his stronger brother. I thought the idea was that Sandor finally worked through his death wish.

Cripple Sandor would still crush him. He easily fended off Gregor at his most enraged. Gregor is kind of a bitch when you think about it. Loras beat him in lancing, Oberon kicked his rear end with a spear.. so what if he's strong. He sucks at fighting.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Supreme Allah posted:

Cripple Sandor would still crush him. He easily fended off Gregor at his most enraged. Gregor is kind of a bitch when you think about it. Loras beat him in lancing, Oberon kicked his rear end with a spear.. so what if he's strong. He sucks at fighting.
Hmm, yes. The Lame Sandor would easily crush the unfeeling (and maybe unkillable for all we know) giant zombie-knight. Okay.

Fending him off at his most enraged doesn't mean much. Gregor isn't the Hulk. It was Gregor getting angry that really made him lose against Oberyn. And now I'm pretty sure that he can't get angry anymore.

e; I like how you think that Gregor, who is described as killing dozens in pretty much every battle he shows up in, is a bitch and sucks at fighting due to losing a joust against Loras (you might recall that Loras apparently decided that he had to 'cheat' to win) and for (not) being beaten by Oberyn who's seen as possibly the most dangerous man in Westeros. But I guess that doesn't mean much, seeing as how Darkstar apparently is the most dangerous man in Dorne somehow.

e2: That's not to say that it won't happen, just that it'd take some extreme plot contrivance for the apparently Pacifistic Sandor being chosen to fight Robert Strong and then actually crushing him in the trial. But I said the same thing about Baby Aegon being alive so what do I know.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Gregor (when alive, anyway) had the classic Superman problem. Against regular dudes, he just crushes them because he's so god drat big and he's wearing armor that no one else could even move in. There's just not contest. When he goes up against someone who understands his weaknesses, he's overcome because that's all he's got.