Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Voodoofly posted:

I have one. It was (probably) either an Indian or Pakistani film. I saw it in, say, 2001-2002. The main story dealt with the partition of India and Pakistan. I'm pretty sure it deals with a handful of characters in one of the communities that was torn in half.

One of the specific scenes I remember is a band of Muslim militia accosting someone who had been either Hindi or Sikh. The man swore he had converted, so the militia made him strip down and show that he was now circumcised (and then made fun of him).

I think one of the main characters was a younger female who probably died at the end (or had a sister or someone die).

I know that isn't a lot to go on, but for the life of me I can't figure out what the movie was called.

Sounds a lot like Aparna Sen's Mr. and Mrs. Iyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

FitFortDanga posted:

Sounds a lot like Aparna Sen's Mr. and Mrs. Iyer.

I don't think this is it. I'm almost certain the film follows a town, before the partition, then after, rather than a group on a bus.

Plus, even though I saw it in 2001-2002 (and it would have to have been early 2002), my best guess is that it was at least a couple of years old by then. It was screened in a film class, either when I was there, or right after I graduated. This one looks like it would have barely been available by that time anywhere, let alone a film class.

Interesting looking movie, though.

The other specific thing I remember about whatever movie I'm looking for was that it had a pretty great score. At least I think it did.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 12, 2011

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Mouser.. posted:

It could be Shipwrecked which was a Disney movie from 1990 that you are thinking of.

Yes! This is it! Thanks!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Voodoofly posted:

Plus, even though I saw it in 2001-2002 (and it would have to have been early 2002), my best guess is that it was at least a couple of years old by then. It was screened in a film class, either when I was there, or right after I graduated. This one looks like it would have barely been available by that time anywhere, let alone a film class.

Earth, maybe?

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

Voodoofly posted:

I have one. It was (probably) either an Indian or Pakistani film. I saw it in, say, 2001-2002. The main story dealt with the partition of India and Pakistan. I'm pretty sure it deals with a handful of characters in one of the communities that was torn in half.

One of the specific scenes I remember is a band of Muslim militia accosting someone who had been either Hindi or Sikh. The man swore he had converted, so the militia made him strip down and show that he was now circumcised (and then made fun of him).

I think one of the main characters was a younger female who probably died at the end (or had a sister or someone die).

I know that isn't a lot to go on, but for the life of me I can't figure out what the movie was called.

A bit of a long shot, but I seem to remember a scene like that in the novel Tamas. A mini-series was made in the '80s, but I haven't seen it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
OK, looking for a movie. It is Japanese, live action, from 2009. It is a fantasy story, concerning a master thief, his dummy best friend and a young apprentice.

In a fairly stereotypical fashion it is revealed that he is a former ninja/bodyguard trained to protect a princess. He ran off (probably because he loved her) and became the thief everyone knows and loves.

I seem to recall that he stole a scroll in the beginning of the film that had either a marriage contract or the deeds to the royal lands or some other maguffin. There was also two warring factions, and I believe that either some friend/rival and family were boiled in oil or burned at the stake.

In the end the hero/thief is killed by his best friend because he is just tired of his bullshit and defects to one of the warring clans.

The title was the main character's name. Something like Gokenji. I know it started with a G.

Trying to provide as many details as possible since this was a long movie and it covered a lot of ground. Also, because a lot of these elements seem similar to other movies.

EDIT:VVVVVVVVVV That's the one. drat you guys are good.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 13, 2011

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

OK, looking for a movie. It is Japanese, live action, from 2009. It is a fantasy story, concerning a master thief, his dummy best friend and a young apprentice.

In a fairly stereotypical fashion it is revealed that he is a former ninja/bodyguard trained to protect a princess. He ran off (probably because he loved her) and became the thief everyone knows and loves.

I seem to recall that he stole a scroll in the beginning of the film that had either a marriage contract or the deeds to the royal lands or some other maguffin. There was also two warring factions, and I believe that either some friend/rival and family were boiled in oil or burned at the stake.

In the end the hero/thief is killed by his best friend because he is just tired of his bullshit and defects to one of the warring clans.

The title was the main character's name. Something like Gokenji. I know it started with a G.

Trying to provide as many details as possible since this was a long movie and it covered a lot of ground. Also, because a lot of these elements seem similar to other movies.

Goemon

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
I haven't seen this movie yet, and I'm not even sure if it's out. I saw the trailer in a theater a few months ago, but can't remember that movie, either.

Anyway, from what I can gather, the trailer is for a horror/thriller about a couple that moves into the country and hires some contractors to work on their home. One of the contractors cat calls the woman at one point. For whatever reason, the contractors eventually try to break into the home of the man and the woman. At some later point the man snaps and seems to go on a rampage killing the intruders one by one as violently as possible.

Any ideas? I was telling a friend about this trailer, but I've had zero luck finding it after searching for the past hour.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

sevenflow posted:

I haven't seen this movie yet, and I'm not even sure if it's out. I saw the trailer in a theater a few months ago, but can't remember that movie, either.

Anyway, from what I can gather, the trailer is for a horror/thriller about a couple that moves into the country and hires some contractors to work on their home. One of the contractors cat calls the woman at one point. For whatever reason, the contractors eventually try to break into the home of the man and the woman. At some later point the man snaps and seems to go on a rampage killing the intruders one by one as violently as possible.

Any ideas? I was telling a friend about this trailer, but I've had zero luck finding it after searching for the past hour.

The trailer is for the remake of "Straw Dogs", and old movie starring Dustin Hoffman. If I recall the plot of the old story was about some namby pamby academic type, a professor or something (Hoffman), who either took a job or sabbatical in the U.K. somewhere where he and his hot wife lived out in some rural place. Wife gets ogled by workingmen and I think eventually raped or something, triggering the intellectual guy to get in touch with his inner primal beast and go on a killing rampage. A Sam Peckinpah film if I remember. I just saw this trailer the other day and was surprised this was being remade.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second

Zwabu posted:

The trailer is for the remake of "Straw Dogs", and old movie starring Dustin Hoffman. If I recall the plot of the old story was about some namby pamby academic type, a professor or something (Hoffman), who either took a job or sabbatical in the U.K. somewhere where he and his hot wife lived out in some rural place. Wife gets ogled by workingmen and I think eventually raped or something, triggering the intellectual guy to get in touch with his inner primal beast and go on a killing rampage. A Sam Peckinpah film if I remember. I just saw this trailer the other day and was surprised this was being remade.

That was unbelievably quick. Thank you so much for your help. I'll check out the original.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

My friend was telling me about a movie he forgot the name of, saying it was probably made in the last five years, it was set in London, it was low-budget, and it involved a conflict between several criminals who used to be soldiers in Africa and the police. The criminals and the police are fighting each other, the criminals capture the police and execute like half of them, and then a zombie pandemic breaks out and the other half of the captured police and the criminals have to work together and defend a building in a style that I thought sounded reminiscent of the original Assault on Precinct 13.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Also this is an old post I made in the thread about two years ago, I'm just reposting it because I just got curious again.

Power of Pecota posted:

This one came out really recently, I saw it on HBO or something a few months ago. It starts with a couple in a small-town diner right before they shoot up the diner (it's not Pulp Fiction) and after they run out the entrance the camera pauses, and it skips forward to the guy, six years in the future, being transported from prison to prison in the back of a van. The girl hits the van with a semi and breaks him out, and they have to go back to an old abandoned town to get money they stole in a bank robbery from a mausoleum.

I can add that the ending was that they really got shot to death while escaping the diner and the guy has to relive the whole thing over and over again as his version of hell. It ends with the girl breaking the guy out of the van (I think it was more like a paddywagon in hindsight) again.

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

My friend was telling me about a movie he forgot the name of, saying it was probably made in the last five years, it was set in London, it was low-budget, and it involved a conflict between several criminals who used to be soldiers in Africa and the police. The criminals and the police are fighting each other, the criminals capture the police and execute like half of them, and then a zombie pandemic breaks out and the other half of the captured police and the criminals have to work together and defend a building in a style that I thought sounded reminiscent of the original Assault on Precinct 13.

That's the plot of La Horde but it's set in Paris, not in London.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

Sound like The Horde.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Herr R. posted:

That's the plot of La Horde but it's set in Paris, not in London.

mania posted:

Sound like The Horde.

That would explain why I wouldn't be able to find anything since I've been searching exclusively for British stuff. I have no idea how my friend could have mixed up something that big though :psyduck:

Thanks to both of you guys!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not entirely sure if this was a movie or a mini series, but I think it was a movie, so here goes:

Live action film about wizards. One of the infodumps for the film explains that there are levels of wizards, based on talent and experience:

• Young / untalented / inexperienced wizards have to read directly from a book for every spell
  • More experienced wizards have to memorize a spell, and speak Magical Words to cast a spell
  • Even more experienced wizards can cast spells silently, only needing a handwave or motion to cast
  • The most (and extremely rare) wizards can cast spells without needing to do anything physically. They want a fireball, BAM THERES A FIREBALL

The main character is a young wizard, and it turns out that this wizard is supremely talented. I think the way this is learned by the other characters is when he innocently snuffs out a candle with a wave of his hand, something that nobody at his age/level of experience should possibly be able to do.

Not much to go on, but that mental image (bored young wizard snuffing out a candle with his hand) has stuck with me since a kid, and I really would love to know what I consistently remember.

angry climber
Dec 6, 2010
Heres a pretty hard one.

This is a horror movie. I think the opening scene is in a parking garage where a woman is going to her car, drops her keys and gets killed in some fashion but it doesnt show who killed her. If its not the opening scene its in the movie somewhere.

There is one scene where a grave is dug up/ someone put in a grave/ a body is missing from a grave.

I think the ending takes place is some sort of research lab/hospital at night.

I think the monster is some sort of shapeshifter/takes human form or something to that effect.

The movie seems to be from the 90s maybe early 2000's.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

angry climber posted:

Heres a pretty hard one.

This is a horror movie. I think the opening scene is in a parking garage where a woman is going to her car, drops her keys and gets killed in some fashion but it doesnt show who killed her. If its not the opening scene its in the movie somewhere.

There is one scene where a grave is dug up/ someone put in a grave/ a body is missing from a grave.

I think the ending takes place is some sort of research lab/hospital at night.

I think the monster is some sort of shapeshifter/takes human form or something to that effect.

The movie seems to be from the 90s maybe early 2000's.

I think that it's Cursed.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

HYMEN.SYS posted:

I think that it's Cursed.

Sounds more like an Episode of Supernatural.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

Sounds more like an Episode of Supernatural.

These exact scenes were in an Obscurus Lupa review I watched a few weeks ago. The most recent one involving werewolves that wasn't a Howling sequel was Cursed.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

HYMEN.SYS posted:

These exact scenes were in an Obscurus Lupa review I watched a few weeks ago. The most recent one involving werewolves that wasn't a Howling sequel was Cursed.

There is nothing to do with a grave in Cursed and the final battle takes place in a house not a hospital, I don't they ever go to a hospital or lab in Cursed.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Slasherfan posted:

There is nothing to do with a grave in Cursed and the final battle takes place in a house not a hospital, I don't they ever go to a hospital or lab in Cursed.

You're right. I'm confusing it with the grave scene from Stirba Werewolf Bitch.

angry climber
Dec 6, 2010
Sorry by shapeshifter i didnt mean werewolf, just someone/something taking form of other people. (not the thing).

In the ending, a guy is in the research facility and the glass revolving door leading to the outside is locked or something and the woman outside is trying to tell him that someone is inside there with him who is the monster. And I think someone gets thrown through a window in the end/possibly how the monster/dude dies.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Origami Dali posted:

Earth, maybe?

Thanks, I think this is it!

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Can anyone tell me what movies the clips of the guy peeling his face off and the girl getting the IV in her neck are from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfzcJjzndZs

A warning to the squeamish: the aforementioned scene of the IV might make you intensely uncomfortable. I certainly was.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Face peeling is Poltergeist, IV is The Exorcist.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Thank you!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Just found this gif on tumblr, can anyone ID it:

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Just from this Youtube vid I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEVfREVGcaY

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm trying to find out the name of a film I watched many years ago that must have been made in the 80's. All I remember is that it's some sort of adventure film, with a hero on some sort of quest, and at the end he finds a book that's supposed to have some secret or great truth in it, and when he opens it up it's a mirror inside.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Brown Moses posted:

I'm trying to find out the name of a film I watched many years ago that must have been made in the 80's. All I remember is that it's some sort of adventure film, with a hero on some sort of quest, and at the end he finds a book that's supposed to have some secret or great truth in it, and when he opens it up it's a mirror inside.

Sounds like Circle of Iron, with David Carradine and Christopher Lee.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Wow, I've been trying to figure that out for years, thanks.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Wow and that ending was totally cribbed by a certain animated blockbuster of recent years.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

That's exactly the plot of Taran Wanderer by Lloyd Alexander.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Wow and that ending was totally cribbed by a certain animated blockbuster of recent years.

It's not exactly a terribly original concept.

a nigga who smoke
Feb 26, 2007

coughin' and chokin' constantly
I've been stuck on one for years and it just occurred to me to ask about it now. Here's what I remember:

- focuses around a kid (adopted?) that doesn't talk much if at all
- kid draws pictures of people being murdered
- the family digs up a dead dog, someone is killed by a screwdriver, i think someone else is crushed by a dumbwaiter
- mid to late 90's movie i think

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
I'm 90% Sure it's Relative Fear.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110965/combined
Trailer

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 18, 2011

a nigga who smoke
Feb 26, 2007

coughin' and chokin' constantly
yes that's absolutely it. thanks mate.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib
I remember this one from time to time and it's getting annoying not knowing what it is.

It's old -- I remember it being in color and I'm pretty sure it's a 60s film, but I don't remember the details of the plot at all since I did see it like 15 years ago.
Anyway, there's this millenia old immortal woman (that looks young, of course), waiting for her old love to be reincarnated and to come back to her. A man comes to her, and she tries to convince him that he's her old love, but of course he rejects the notion. In the end, they fall in love, she dies for some reason, he becomes immortal, and the movie ends as he states that he will wait for her.

This is probably pretty slim information for what is very likely a really bad movie, but hopefully it's specific enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Backyarr posted:

I remember this one from time to time and it's getting annoying not knowing what it is.

It's old -- I remember it being in color and I'm pretty sure it's a 60s film, but I don't remember the details of the plot at all since I did see it like 15 years ago.
Anyway, there's this millenia old immortal woman (that looks young, of course), waiting for her old love to be reincarnated and to come back to her. A man comes to her, and she tries to convince him that he's her old love, but of course he rejects the notion. In the end, they fall in love, she dies for some reason, he becomes immortal, and the movie ends as he states that he will wait for her.

This is probably pretty slim information for what is very likely a really bad movie, but hopefully it's specific enough.
Did it star Ursula Andress? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059710/