Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

akushlan posted:

That definitely looks like my best bet, I am deciding between that set and this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cuisina...3&skuId=1600462

(I have a $200 Best Buy gift card I haven't found a use for yet...and apparently they sell pots and pans...)

For anyone else interested, this set is 70 dollars cheaper on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a baster? I bought a cheap, off-brand one a few months ago, and it's cracking already (it's made out of some clear plastic crap or something). I don't expect it to be able to handle boiling liquids, but I do expect it to be able to handle very hot liquids.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I'm in the market for a new blender and am wondering what people's thoughts are about the Blendtec series blenders - are they worth the cost or would a Ninja Master blender be preferred? We would mainly be making smoothies and such with it, but my wife is interested in the ability to make soups and flour in it as well.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
i have a vitamix blender and it's very powerful and works very well. You can make soups in it but I didn't like the "airy" texture of it. ymmv of course.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Don't go for the Ninja Master stuff, it's not all that great. My mom has one and it works okay; she makes a fruit/veggie smoothie every morning, so she's really put it through its paces. She's said it's fine, but not worth what she paid for it.

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.

duffmensch posted:

I'm in the market for a new blender and am wondering what people's thoughts are about the Blendtec series blenders - are they worth the cost or would a Ninja Master blender be preferred? We would mainly be making smoothies and such with it, but my wife is interested in the ability to make soups and flour in it as well.

Our KitchenAid blender has served well. We make smoothies with ice. We blend sauce.
Frozen margaritas. It does it all.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt
I found a couple of little handheld razor slicers for 25 cents each at garage sales. I think they are technically truffle slicers?

They have a tiny little dial for thickness and just refill with a normal box-knife blade. And they kick rear end.

I've never even eaten a loving truffle in my life, I use them to slice garlic so paper thin it just melts onto italian bread by just breathing on it warmly.

Works great for ginger too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay somebody point me towards some of those things they sound awesome.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ThriceBakedPotato posted:

I found a couple of little handheld razor slicers for 25 cents each at garage sales. I think they are technically truffle slicers?

They have a tiny little dial for thickness and just refill with a normal box-knife blade. And they kick rear end.

I've never even eaten a loving truffle in my life, I use them to slice garlic so paper thin it just melts onto italian bread by just breathing on it warmly.

Works great for ginger too.

Link that poo poo. Now.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt
^^
No markings on the one I've got other than Made in Germany.

They look friggin pricey new. I think I just got lucky with my mini pocket mandoline.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have never heard of truffle slicers before, but that sounds kinda cool:

http://www.behindtheknife.com/articles/truffle-shaver

Amazon seems to ahve a bunch for $20-30

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
I need a roasting pan. My main use will be braising meat in the oven and don't think I will use it on the stovetop. Do I need heat conductivity (aluminum clad) for this?
One more thing- Are there any rectangular roasters with lids? I could swear I have seen one before. I think that would be a nice feature over using foil everytime.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt
I use an old enameled speckly light metal one like your grandma probably had. No idea what's under that enamel. Yeah, from a garage sale (that's my thing yo). I probably have 30 of them in the garage. I'm prepared for some cookware apocalypse where everything costs $100 and has Ray Ray's name on it.

It's nice if it has a rack to keep a roast out of the liquid for those applications.

If it's burner friendly, you can make gravy out of the drippings right in the drat thing, which is my favorite part of cooking a roast.

I don't know about rectangular, all the old poo poo is oval.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

ThriceBakedPotato posted:

I use an old enameled speckly light metal one like your grandma probably had. No idea what's under that enamel. Yeah, from a garage sale (that's my thing yo). I probably have 30 of them in the garage. I'm prepared for some cookware apocalypse where everything costs $100 and has Ray Ray's name on it.

It's nice if it has a rack to keep a roast out of the liquid for those applications.

If it's burner friendly, you can make gravy out of the drippings right in the drat thing, which is my favorite part of cooking a roast.

I don't know about rectangular, all the old poo poo is oval.
My grandma's speckly metal roaster-with-lid was rectangular. A quick google tells me you can still get the exact same model from Granite Ware:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1D7PPN7Z6RBBRH2

According to Amazon's "people who liked..." Le Creuset makes a rectangular enameled cast-iron roaster with lid. That's a good brand but pricey, although you can frequently find discontinued/seconds at places like TJ Maxx and Marshalls.

Black Huntress
Oct 8, 2001

Is there a current cheap-ish basic knife set everyone likes? I'm looking to spend maybe $50-$100ish on a gift for a college graduate. I seem to recall a Victorinox set GWS was fond of a few years ago, but I've looked at a couple of them recently and man, they seem crappy.

Thanks in advance!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Nobody likes knife sets. People like Victorinox because it's inexpensive and good quality, and you should just get your a chef's knife, a paring or boning knife, and maybe a bread knife. Most of the knives that come in sets are for specialized work that most people don't do frequently enough to justify buying a special knife for it. Consider getting your friend a Chinese cleaver too.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Seconding the don't get a knife set.

Buy one of these knife blocks, which will have usefulness no matter what knives you get, and then get a chef's knife and a paring knife. Or even a gift cert to Williams Sonoma or something so that they can pick out their own knives

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
oh god wrong thread ignore me

edit: While I'm here, I think this thread was the one who suggested the Victorinox kitchen knife? :shobon: Because I bought it off Amazon and it's frankly amazing.

Five Spice fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 8, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If any of you fools are in Los Angeles, there's a place in Koreatown called Kim's Home Center selling factory reject Henckel knives at 1/3 price. They have a B etched into the blade to signify that it failed some sort of test, but otherwise they seem to work fine. My mom and sister got Twin Pro S chef knives for $40 or 50 each. They also have bread knives and utility knives as well.

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009
I bought a Victorinox chef's knife a couple weeks ago - first time I've bought something other than a low quality Wal-Mart set. It's been a dream.

Then yesterday I was gifted a three-piece set of Wusthof Classics, including another chef's knife. My first impression is that they perform pretty equally for me. The Wusthof is a bit heavier and more stable for thin slicing, but the Victorinox seems to go through a bit smoother.

Black Huntress
Oct 8, 2001

Thanks for the answers! That's an awesome knife block that I will probably grab for myself sometime soon.

I was thinking about maybe just springing for a nice santoku, but this is for a youngster who's going to be setting up proper housekeeping for the first time; I know she cooks well, but I'm not sure how extensively, and I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, so I guess I'll look into one or two nice(r) pieces. Not sure what a Chinese cleaver is, but will check that out also. Thanks again.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Chinese Cleaver is a huge cleaver for chopping poo poo without regard to knife damage.

Santoku's can be subbed for Chef's Knives for some people.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Black Huntress posted:

I was thinking about maybe just springing for a nice santoku...

Generally there is no real need for a santoku, at least that's what they told us in culinary school. You can use a chef's knife in place of it. Personally I like to keep a santoku around for vegetables and fruits. Good ones really do reduce sticking to the blade and like I have two cutting boards (a red one for meat and a white one for everything else) I like to have a knife for cutting meat (chefs knife) and a knife for cutting everything else (my santoku [except for bread, get a bread knife]).

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Blendy posted:

Generally there is no real need for a santoku, at least that's what they told us in culinary school. You can use a chef's knife in place of it. Personally I like to keep a santoku around for vegetables and fruits. Good ones really do reduce sticking to the blade and like I have two cutting boards (a red one for meat and a white one for everything else) I like to have a knife for cutting meat (chefs knife) and a knife for cutting everything else (my santoku [except for bread, get a bread knife]).

Same here. I have a good 8" chefs knife for working meat (or particularly large items), while I have a little 5" santoku that I use for everything else. These two + a bread knife are the only things I use anymore.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Chinese Cleaver is a huge cleaver for chopping poo poo without regard to knife damage.

This is wrong, a slicing cleaver is not for hacking through bone, it is the equivalent to a vegetable knife.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

This is wrong, a slicing cleaver is not for hacking through bone, it is the equivalent to a vegetable knife.

Can you please go into a little more detail on this, for the less blade-savvy among us?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

Can you please go into a little more detail on this, for the less blade-savvy among us?

Chinese cleavers tend to be thinner and lighter, and designed for slicing. They more or less take the place of a chef's knife. Meat cleavers (there's probably another name) are heavy, and the blade tends to be thick. These are sturdy and designed for hacking away at chickens and whatnot. because of the thickness of the blade, they're not that great for making nice neat (thin) slices of things.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I confused my cleaners. I've always called it a vegetable cleaver.

For anyone wondering, the handles on the new Shuns suck.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 12, 2011

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I would have thought buying the small knife block sets would make sense.

You can get a basic one with Block, steel, chefs knife, paring/utility knife, bread knife and nothing else.

At least buying them all together seems to save some money and then you have the block and if you ever need another knife can just add to it.

Acetone
May 20, 2005
Working toward a glowing-sludge future!

Fists Up posted:

I would have thought buying the small knife block sets would make sense.

You can get a basic one with Block, steel, chefs knife, paring/utility knife, bread knife and nothing else.

At least buying them all together seems to save some money and then you have the block and if you ever need another knife can just add to it.
Sets almost never include the right type/size combinations, because they want you to buy extra knives. Sure, there might be a paring knife, but it could be tiny (under 3") or gigantic (6" "utility" knife). The bread knife might be a tiny 7" one, or of a less popular design.

For that matter, I think it's worth intentionally aiming for different manufacturers for your chef, paring, and bread knives, as well as the the steel or ceramic rod. Each has a distinct purpose, and you should be selecting the best possible knife for that purpose (within your price range); the best paring knife for you is generally not from the same manufacturer (or product line) as your chef knife.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
what's the best food mill? I keep on seeing $150-300 food mills in gay expensive food stores and getting angry as gently caress.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

what's the best food mill? I keep on seeing $150-300 food mills in gay expensive food stores and getting angry as gently caress.

According to Cook's Illustrated, $105 Cuisipro, or second best is $20 one by RSVP

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Speaking of kitchen machines, I got the Kenwood KM020 Major last year, it's been almost a year now actually, and I can say this machine has been a godsend. Making bread is a whole lot easier now, but it does a whole lot of things really well.

I can't really find anything to complain about with it and strenght wise it murders the much more expensive Kitchen Aids we get here, it's far more durable and really what you want if kneading bread is high up on your list.

I hope it will last as long as my moms Kenwood which is about as old as I am (almost 30) and not wearing out anytime soon.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

How much was it? I'm looking to get my mom a mixer for Christmas.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Unfortunately, Kenwood's stand mixers don't appear to be available in the US. You could probably order from amazon.co.uk, but it'll be pretty pricey, and I have no idea what shipping would be.

This is, of course, assuming you're located in the US. If you're in the Eurozone somewhere, you should be set.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

According to Cook's Illustrated, $105 Cuisipro, or second best is $20 one by RSVP

Thanks, I figured there was a cooks illustrated one, but every time I start thumbing through my back issues like 5 hours go by for some reason. :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Schpyder posted:

Unfortunately, Kenwood's stand mixers don't appear to be available in the US. You could probably order from amazon.co.uk, but it'll be pretty pricey, and I have no idea what shipping would be.

This is, of course, assuming you're located in the US. If you're in the Eurozone somewhere, you should be set.

Yeah and it'll be 240 volts then too. I was aiming that at the eurozone people since they don't got Kenwood in the US. Mine was 400 euros IIRC.

PretentiousFood
Mar 13, 2009

Rumor has it that the Cuisinart is actually a rebranded Kenmore, I'd check it out! Either way it looks way better than the KA.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

PretentiousFood posted:

Rumor has it that the Cuisinart is actually a rebranded Kenmore, I'd check it out! Either way it looks way better than the KA.

I think you mean Kenwood, but it's kind of complicated. DeLonghi bought Kenwood back in 2001 and started changing designs and marketing their mixers under the DeLonghi name in North America. There was also a rebranded Kenmore version, oddly enough, as well as Viking.

The current Cuisinart mixers are apparently rebadged/reworked DeLonghis. DeLonghi no longer appears to sell any mixers under their own name. That makes the Cuisinart related the Kenwood, but I'm not sure how much is the same under the hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hmm, I guess that might explain why a lot of attachments say they will work on Kenmore/Delonghi/Viking/Cuisinart mixers

• Locked thread