Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Ivan Drago posted:

I have no idea how to recover from this:

It's not easy but that's doable, especially the offense. You may not see guys at 100% ever again but you can at least keep that offense in the green.

For the bats, just play as many guys as close to 100% as possible, and arrange your lineup according to PA/162 and stamina. HoJo 1, Coleman 2, Reynolds 3, Raines 4, Scioscia 5, Ready 6, etc. Change your lineup after every game if possible based on who has the most stamina. Be willing to play guys out of position when needed.

The pitching...that's trickier but considering the health of your starters may be doable. First thing I'd do is set Addie to start after Three Finger and move Summers to relief. Set everyone else to rest (except your mopups), set Addie and Mordecai to high pitch counts. Make sure Summers either has a high enough pitch count that Sparky won't pull him for the gassed guys, or just flat set him to none/none. Be willing to stick with that for as long as you can keep all three of those guys in the green or upper blue. After a few starts you should have at least a couple of those relievers in usable territory. You may have to use guys in relief at, like, 93% many times but they can still be effective and it's better than the alternative. Taking three complete scrubs is really working against you, though.

Also, your first chance I would swap Summers and Mordecai, using Brown in relief since he's got the lower IP/G, but obviously that's not an option yet.

That offense is basically what I worked with for the whole season for the original Astrodome Speed Team and that won 118 games. The pitching is rough right now but I think you can at least still get it to a point where you're mostly green/blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

advice
That's pretty solid. I've had a couple guys playing out of position lately to save on stamina but I hadn't considered re-arranging my lineup to compensate as well. I had Summers in relief for much of the early part of the season already which is why he's at 7 appearances and only 24 innings. It was a gamble taking so many scrubs but I contend it would have held together had I not run into a few untimely extra inning and high-scoring games! I have no illusions of competing with that team anymore but it would be nice if they could avoid completely tanking.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Ivan Drago posted:

I have no illusions of competing with that team anymore but it would be nice if they could avoid completely tanking.

2-160 never forget

or were there less than 162 games? i actually forgot :(

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

:stare::stare::stare: Billy Milligan :stare::stare::stare:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

AlleyViper posted:

Love that 200k Billy Milligan season

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

IMO the Mark Belanger grand slam is crazier

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
HBD Name Generator is the best.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

IMO the Mark Belanger grand slam is crazier

Belanger is tied for the team lead in homers.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Nerokerubina posted:

HBD Name Generator is the best.
MLB '05 or some other game from that time had name generators for minor leaguers as well and I fondly remember watching Ichiro Martinez progress through my ranks.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Thanks for Duran, nasboat. :coolfish:

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Rivera :argh:

On the other hand, Seaver has exceeded my expectations in his short sample.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

EvilBeard posted:

WiS Fantasy Football Edition

The password is: hojo

edit: I had to make a new league to include sacks as a scoring stat. If you joined before, rejoin now!

Join this league you losers :mad:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

It was fun while it lasted but a loss in today's AM game kept me from reaching 20

In other news, Ivan is tied for 17th! \:unsmith:/

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 15, 2011

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

In other news, Ivan is tied for 17th! \:unsmith:/
I was 3-3 in the AM update so I may have been slightly higher last night. I just lost a 17-inning game as well, but fortunately it was in the 90m league where I have surplus pitching for days.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

I was 3-3 in the AM update so I may have been slightly higher last night.

I posted that after the AM update so that's up to date.

How's the nightmare stamina going?

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

I posted that after the AM update so that's up to date.

How's the nightmare stamina going?
It has completely corrected itself and the team is on a 5-game win streak all of a sudden despite all of the relief pitchers having been on rest. I've just slotted them back into their normal roles this morning in fact, all 100s. They turned it around much quicker than I anticipated. The offense is still in the low 90s but I'm not as concerned with that. Thanks for the tips!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I feel like it's been awhile since someone has posted OpenLeagues.jpg

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

I feel like it's been awhile since someone has posted OpenLeagues.jpg

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Three spots in Dimaggio (HBD) open. We Need You.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Three spots in Dimaggio (HBD) open. We Need You AlleyViper.

fixed!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Yeah, that was a slight rebuild of your team to test Mile High vs. not Mile High. The results were pretty uninspiring.

Scrotos posted:

fixed!

I'm a full-time student as of next Monday, I won't have any time for it.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

I'm a full-time student as of next Monday, I won't have any time for it.

So am I. I'll have time, so you'll have time.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

So am I. I'll have time, so you'll have time.

He is going to a real school with a real major, not Homeland Security Planning or whatever.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Scrotos posted:

He is going to a real school with a real major, not Homeland Security Planning or whatever.

Ha. First of all, that is very much a real major. Second of all, i'm going back to school for something completely different now, and it's very real and relevant.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

Keep Chaim on speed-dial for me for when I graduate. :cool:

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Keep Chaim on speed-dial for me for when I graduate. :cool:

I am hoping by then he is the GM of the cubs :pray:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
HBD is great for school, you can do everything while you're in class.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

I would have never made it through Law School without HBD during class

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

It doesn't matter -- AV used the "I don't have time" excuse as an unemployed non-student and as a student, so I think we know he just doesn't want to play. :)

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I do want to play but it's dealing with an unknown. The things that I do to occupy my free time right now, I know exactly how much time I'm going to need to do them. Adding something else to do - and something that I've never done before and don't know how much time I'll spend on it - isn't something I'm interested in doing right now. Especially so considering how much time some of you spend on HBD as is. The last thing I need is to get addicted to something that's gonna suck up a bunch of my free time up. This year is the lightest that I've ever done fantasy baseball and I've neglected my teams terribly, and that's hardly much of a time commitment at all.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

In case anyone's interested.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

In case anyone's interested.

I don't have time for this :colbert:

vvvv I could not resist :v:

Scrotos fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 16, 2011

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

You're not helping your case.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
HBD doesn't have to be a big time commitment and there's enough goons available to help that I really can't see why it isn't worth a shot.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I'm in on Pick Six

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Groucho Marxist posted:

I'm in on Pick Six

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Groucho Marxist posted:

I'm in on Pick Six

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

HBD doesn't have to be a big time commitment and there's enough goons available to help that I really can't see why it isn't worth a shot.

The point is I'd rather do it when I know I'll have time for it and not when I hope I'll have time for it. From everything I've gleaned, while it doesn't have to be a big time commitment, it sounds like something that I would want to commit time to if I were going to play. I don't want to just get a team and then invest the bare minimum in it, I want to do it well.

But gently caress it, I'm tired of people acting like I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about. Give me a team and when I never do anything with it at least you'll know why.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

We wore him down :woop: One of Us! One of Us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

AlleyViper posted:

But gently caress it, I'm tired of people acting like I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about. Give me a team and when I never do anything with it at least you'll know why.

I'm not sure this is the right attitude, but hopefully the game changes your mind.

At least give it through the offseason. It's the most important part and ignoring it could royally screw a franchise for a long time.

• Locked thread