Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holla Forth
May 20, 2010

Hey SAS hockey dudes, does anyone have any suggestions for beginner (as in very, very beginner) hockey clinics in Boston? I've been a hockey fan forever, but I've skated exactly once in my life, when I was 12. Now that I finally have the money to conceivably buy a starter set of gear, I'm itching to give it a shot. The only programs I can find are either for little kids or so far out of the city that I'd need a car to get there, which I don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Holla Forth posted:

Hey SAS hockey dudes, does anyone have any suggestions for beginner (as in very, very beginner) hockey clinics in Boston? I've been a hockey fan forever, but I've skated exactly once in my life, when I was 12. Now that I finally have the money to conceivably buy a starter set of gear, I'm itching to give it a shot. The only programs I can find are either for little kids or so far out of the city that I'd need a car to get there, which I don't have.
Can you skate? If not I suggest googling for local rinks and doing open skates, sticks and pucks, and any other way to get to develop basics before joining a team. Part of learning hockey when you are older is setting your pride aside. Sure, you may be one of the only adults in a program... but it'll be so helpful to you that you eventually will not care. Do you have a buddy you can convince to start with you, or a friend that already plays that can show you the ropes?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google around for "learn to play" or "adult developmental leagues". They aren't marketed nearly as well as children's leagues, but there's gotta be an adult learn to play somewhere in your area.

If that fails, just trot over to the nearest rink and start asking questions, especially hockey players. They should have pointers to find a place to learn.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Holla Forth posted:

I looked into that once but I had the same problems.

http://www.fmcicesports.com/public/hockey-skating-programs/hockey.htm has some stuff but you might be in trouble in terms of T-accessible adult beginner hockey.

However there's a lot of skating to be had, which I do a lot of during the winter.

OH! And there's a street-hockey tourney going on on the 20th if you want to bat around a ball with a hockey stick.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Man I miss hockey so much. I think I'm going to start playing again soon.

Maybe it's just laziness but in the OP it says don't get used to dull blades. I always liked my blades just a tad dull for comfort. Is anyone else like this?

e: also will kill for old TPS rubber senior sticks :smith:

I know you're a Rangers fan so if that means you're in the Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens area let me know because I have a D3 team looking for one or two more players for the next season, playing at City Ice Pavilion (LIC). If you can play D at all you win a roster spot.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

So Chemmy is joining my team, no more pretending to be good at hockey on the internet:smith:

Unless we both pretend to be good on the Internet...

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Chemmy posted:

Unless we both pretend to be good on the Internet...

I knew I liked you.

Holla Forth
May 20, 2010

Zorkon posted:

I looked into that once but I had the same problems.

http://www.fmcicesports.com/public/hockey-skating-programs/hockey.htm has some stuff but you might be in trouble in terms of T-accessible adult beginner hockey.

However there's a lot of skating to be had, which I do a lot of during the winter.

OH! And there's a street-hockey tourney going on on the 20th if you want to bat around a ball with a hockey stick.

Yeah, none of the FMC classes are reachable by T. It looks like the Kendall Square community rink has adult lessons, so I'll probably start skating first and worry about the rest later. And gently caress, that tourney looks fun as hell but I'm gonna be out of town for a family thing. Thanks for the info though, much appreciated.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You're not still in college are you?

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

Chemmy posted:

San Jose goons: my gear arrives in SJ next week. Anybody want a player?
You should come out to the pickup I play at at Valco, Thursday nights at 9:30PM-Midnight. $15, and an overall good time.

Actually, all the SJ hockey goons should come to it. I'll bring the beer for after you all snipe me.

EDIT: Reading comprehension.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Chemmy posted:

You're not still in college are you?

I'm 28:cool:

:smith:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

poser posted:

:smith:

Ya'll just shut the hell up. Between you and Henrik Zetterberg mentioning his 30th coming up, I'm thinking I may be the oldest one in the room. If I can learn to play at an age when most pros are starting to think about retirement, and I'm skating with some people who are 20 years older than me, then you guys all have plenty of hockey years left in you.

Quick question since I'm here, just out of general curiosity: do you skate barefoot or in socks? What kind of socks if you use them? Why did you decide on barefoot if that's how you roll? I prefer to skate in these ultra thin sock liners that are really designed for runners and I occasionally ponder the idea of going barefoot but I just can't quite bring myself to try it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Ya'll just shut the hell up. Between you and Henrik Zetterberg mentioning his 30th coming up, I'm thinking I may be the oldest one in the room. If I can learn to play at an age when most pros are starting to think about retirement, and I'm skating with some people who are 20 years older than me, then you guys all have plenty of hockey years left in you.

Quick question since I'm here, just out of general curiosity: do you skate barefoot or in socks? What kind of socks if you use them? Why did you decide on barefoot if that's how you roll? I prefer to skate in these ultra thin sock liners that are really designed for runners and I occasionally ponder the idea of going barefoot but I just can't quite bring myself to try it.

There's a guy who subs on my team sometimes who is in his 60s and has had a hip replacement. The other night he played our game and then stayed and played the game right after it :stare:

I wear socks, either hiking liner socks (pretty thin) or gold-toe dress socks (thin and cheap). I got some cheap bauer socks too but I don't like them that much.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There's a couple 60 year olds in my league. You can always tell them apart because their gear is older than me and lined with fur from a wooly mammoth.

We have a couple people pushing 50 on my team and they keep up really well. Some are better skaters than most of the team.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

poser posted:

So Chemmy is joining my team, no more pretending to be good at hockey on the internet:smith:

Ha, now I definitely need to get down there and play with you guys once in awhile.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I wear these

http://www.swiftwick.com/index.php?option=com_sebercart&view=store&ck=32

And I love them.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Made in Tennesse and they sponsor one of the teams in my league.

edit: What I'm saying is Swiftwick is pretty rad.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 13, 2011

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
One dude on my team has to be around 65 and once ran a triathlon the morning before one of our games. I don't understand.

One game a douche on the other team got knocked over by said old dude, turned around to talk poo poo, saw the grey beard, and just lowered his head in shame and skated away.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So I'm looking at the Air 9000Z Tackla pants based upon this thread's recommendations. Anyone have this specific pair and love or hate them? Sounds like a good 30th (:smith:) birthday present to myself.

I currently wear cheap-o Missions, so pretty much anything is an improvement.

They own. I got my rear end decked in midget & high school play and never got hurt in them. Also blocked a shitload of shots back when I had to and never felt anything. They fit well and they've lasted forever.

I've had them 12 years and they still rule. I'm sure they've made minor updates but mine look generally the same. I think bewbies has these as well, but maybe I'm crazy.

And I skate barefoot because I got a pair of skates back when baking them was a "new" thing or whatever and the guy said it was an option. It kept my feet cooler and I never had anything but normal socks that always bunched up and were uncomfortable.

When I skate in the pond hockey tournament this year in February (sup again, bewbies) I will probably have to wear socks for the first time and I'm a little worried about it.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 13, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought a pair of easton synergy socks because I went to try on skates and forgot to bring a pair of my normal socks, and it was all the store had in my size. I was instantly impressed with them.

They're snug without cutting off circulation, and super thin. They're so comfy I started wearing them as day to day socks.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

I'll be 28 in February! Maybe we're long lost brothers.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

They own. I got my rear end decked in midget & high school play and never got hurt in them. Also blocked a shitload of shots back when I had to and never felt anything. They fit well and they've lasted forever.

I've had them 12 years and they still rule. I'm sure they've made minor updates but mine look generally the same. I think bewbies has these as well, but maybe I'm crazy.

And I skate barefoot because I got a pair of skates back when baking them was a "new" thing or whatever and the guy said it was an option. It kept my feet cooler and I never had anything but normal socks that always bunched up and were uncomfortable.

When I skate in the pond hockey tournament this year in February (sup again, bewbies) I will probably have to wear socks for the first time and I'm a little worried about it.

I've been using the same pair of Tacklas as given to me by some bantam travel team since maybe 1995. They were (I think) my first pair of adult equipment, and they still look and work great...the only flaws they have are from me being careless (cut from me stepping on them in a skate, and a cracked hip pad because I stepped on it).

Now that I think about it they might be the oldest bought-new thing that I own and they're probably the single most durable and effective thing that I've ever owned (and I drove an Accord for quite a while). I don't know if their current stuff is made to the standards these were but if they are you can't go wrong with them.

Also I just looked my pants up and they are still for sale. lol

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 13, 2011

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

xzzy posted:

I bought a pair of easton synergy socks because I went to try on skates and forgot to bring a pair of my normal socks, and it was all the store had in my size. I was instantly impressed with them.

They're snug without cutting off circulation, and super thin. They're so comfy I started wearing them as day to day socks.

I wear either those socks or nothing at all, depending on my mood. I prefer the feel of going barefoot but my skates get funky quick.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I know you're a Rangers fan so if that means you're in the Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens area let me know because I have a D3 team looking for one or two more players for the next season, playing at City Ice Pavilion (LIC). If you can play D at all you win a roster spot.

Unfortunately I'm in Tennessee :/. Okposolypse/a false/chocolate thunder/ a few other dudes are in the area if you want to ask them.

Also, for sock chat, I generally wear just thin dress socks. Argyle and polka dot for true warriors.

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Fuck Jesus and Fuck Shoes!!

Holla Forth posted:

Yeah, none of the FMC classes are reachable by T. It looks like the Kendall Square community rink has adult lessons, so I'll probably start skating first and worry about the rest later. And gently caress, that tourney looks fun as hell but I'm gonna be out of town for a family thing. Thanks for the info though, much appreciated.

I play in Revere with FMC right now and started out in Cambridge. This fall Simoni Rink near Lechmere station should re-open and there will be learn-to-play there. It's a good group of guys and I can keep you posted when that starts up again. Like $15 for an hour of skills, $15 for an hour of pickup.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I played in my first post-appendectomy game last night. I felt like I was learning how to play all over again, it was rough. Plus we only had one sub. Guh.

Also I just ordered these shinguards, which means the only old bits of equipment I have leftover from the 90s are my skates and pants. I got the shinguards for $74, which seems like a pretty sweet deal.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Despite the refs best effort to make sure we lost, we tied and make the playoffs:whatup:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp, that was fun.

VVV: #3 did for 3rd Man In

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 15, 2011

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Welp, that was fun.

Whoah, thats a lot of penalties. I was expecting to see "Body Slam" towards the end.

Look on the bright side, nobody got a misconduct!

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Has anyone tried using melatonin to help fall asleep after late night hockey games? Getting worried about having to do student teaching this fall.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

A beer and nyquil works wonders. Liquid time travel.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

the last signal... posted:

Has anyone tried using melatonin to help fall asleep after late night hockey games? Getting worried about having to do student teaching this fall.

Melatonin + 5-HTP works well for me.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
OK, so you know how I bitched about my lack of goal scoring? Scratch that... got a hatty on Saturday night.

And I can't sub for you, poser! I'll lose my lower league ringer status! heheheh...

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

OK, so you know how I bitched about my lack of goal scoring? Scratch that... got a hatty on Saturday night.

And I can't sub for you, poser! I'll lose my lower league ringer status! heheheh...

They dont give a poo poo.. My friend plays in DD and EEE

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/theticker/entries/2011/08/12/chaparral_ice_could_close_this.html

A very sad day for ice hockey in central Texas if/when the I-35 location shuts down. One of the best adult ice hockey communities (emphasis on community). I can't understand them pouring money into a second ice sheet only to sell the place to a commercial developer who in turn will not use it as an ice rink.

Made several life long friends there and was a place that I could go back to 3+ years later, buy an hour of ice, and a few emails later have a 2 full teams for an excellent pick up game of friends and friends of friends and even more people stopping by the bar afterwards. Terrible.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
Any San Jose guys looking for a goalie? I'm playing half-time as a defenseman for the Raccoons in E (because I'm awful at skating out), but I'd like to have a steady team to play for in goal.

Also, do you guys have any pickups you go to steadily?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Had an annoying game tonight, but not because I played crappy. Mostly because we dominated the entire game but I couldn't get a goddamned point to save my life.

I had two of the most glorious setup passes for amazing one-timers that either the goalie had a miracle save on, or got deflected. The first one was a slap-pass to my D partner standing on the far post from the blue-line. Got it right in his wheel-house and thought for sure it was a slam dunk, but nope! Goalie somehow got cross-crease in time and got the save with his toe and my partner was so shocked that he kicked the rebound out to him he didn't even manage to get his own rebound.

Second one was a D-to-D pass for a slapper that got deflected so I couldn't be too sad, but man games where your team dominates but you can't get on the scoresheet are damned annoying.

I also played against the guy who runs ModSquadHockey and as usual he had pro-spec equipment but rookie league skills.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Here is a guy showing Ovechkin a thing, first time I saw it was my roller hockey coach when I was 10. Oh memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmxsGIjM4eI&t=3m24s

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

WouldDesk posted:

Here is a guy showing Ovechkin a thing, first time I saw it was my roller hockey coach when I was 10. Oh memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmxsGIjM4eI&t=3m24s

Sean skinner. That dude has amazing hands and his "Stick handling Beyond belief" videos are pretty interesting. Lots of terrible music and stuff but great technique and practice drills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Verman posted:

Sean skinner. That dude has amazing hands and his "Stick handling Beyond belief" videos are pretty interesting. Lots of terrible music and stuff but great technique and practice drills.

Speaking of stick handling videos, I filled in net for one of Brad Perry's skill sessions the other night. The dude is an amazing stick handler and he seemed to be a really good teacher.