Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Eastbound Spider posted:

Did this die? :ohdear:

VoxTime runs on a totally different frequency than conventional "time"

Rest assured, Vox will certainly update before the next millennia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

VladTheEater posted:

VoxTime runs on a totally different frequency than conventional "time"

Rest assured, Vox will certainly update before the next millennia.

Updates coming "today" (Friday). I'll get through at least 4 or 5 fights.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Matches Sixteen Through Seventeen:siren:

Match Sixteen, KillerQueen (Valigarmanda) vs. Sir OHGODMYEYESWHATHAVEYOUDONE (ChickenWing)

KillerQueen is a soldier and woman who takes full advantage of her unique biology. In addition to a silver crossbow and bolts, she also equips an iron whip and nearly-full set of copper armor, topped off with a bronze helm. Only her feet are left exposed. Sir OHGODMYEYESWHATHAVEYOUDONE is an elf with a copper-lined bow and copper arrows. Looks like this is our first ranged duel!

With a clang and a twang, both rangers fire! KillerQueen's shot goes wide, but Sir OHGOD's arrow strikes KillerQueen directly in the thorax, though it fails to cause significant damage through the ant woman's layered armor!

The second volley is loosed, and this time Sir OHGOD fires just a fraction of a second earlier. Both gladiators hit their opponent in the lower arm, but KillerQueen suffers a severe wound, while Sir OHGOD's injury is little more than a deep graze.

In the next round of fire, KillerQueen manages to loose her bolt first, despite her painful wound. This time, her shot strikes Sir OHGOD solidly in the arm, while the elf's arrow goes wide!

The next volley is loosed, and KillerQueen is now nearly a full second ahead of her opponent. Both sides miss cleanly. The warriors fire again, and KillerQueen is struck in the upper arm. The impact fractures chitin through force alone, but fails to penetrate the ant woman's copper mail. Her shot, meanwhile, misses again.

Again, they fire, Sir OHGOD now going first. The elf scores a solid hit on the ant woman's lower leg, and KillerQueen misses yet again! The ant woman is now suffering moderate pain from her several wounds, but is not yet beaten. Both sides miss their next shots. The following volley hits for both sides, but KillerQueen's gauntlet prevents major damage, while Sir OHGOD suffers a serious wound to his leg!

Another set of shots. Sir OHGOD's arrow goes wide, but KillerQueen lands her bolt on the elf's hand! Sir OHGOD's ammunition slips from his grip, and he is no longer able to properly use his weapon! The elf charges forward, his only recourse to beat the ant woman to death with his bow! KillerQueen launches a bolt, but misses!

As Sir OHGOD closes in, KillerQueen fires again- but her bolt flies high! The elf will get his chance in melee! Sir OHGOD swings his bow wildly at KillerQueen, but the ant woman dodges, then leaps away, then takes a further step away from the desperate elf.

Now Sir OHGOD charges in upon KillerQueen, but misses his strike entirely, then falls on his face, his elven frame simply not enough to knock over the shorter, lighter, but much stronger ant woman! KillerQueen fires a bolt directly downward at Sir OHGOD, but somehow misses! The elf flails away with his bow, but is completely unable to so much as touch KillerQueen. The ant woman fires again, but Sir OHGOD leaps to the side just in time to avoid being shot. As the elf continues his desperate assault, though, KillerQueen calmly reloads and fires again. This time, her bolt punches straight into Sir OHGOD's hip bone, causing the elf to instantly pass out.

KillerQueen stands over her fallen foe, shooting his pitiful body with bolt after bolt as he passes in and out of consciousness.

Combat Log

Match Seventeen, Kitten Mittens (Tirius) vs. Meat curtains (Jackyl)

Kitten Mittens the troll is armed with a silver war hammer and armored with an iron helm and iron mail, rather high-end gear for such a creature. Meat curtains the gremlin has a steel dagger and a tiny oak buckler. Is victory for the little guys finally at hand?

Meat curtains bursts out of her corner quickly and rushes forward! She's fast- too fast, actually, and he takes a fateful extra step toward Kitten Mittens, handing the troll the first-strike! (This was possible due to the troll's armor/lack of armor skill and the gremlin's light equipment.) Kitten Mittens wastes no time, charging at his miniature target and swinging his large, silver hammer! But Meat curtains surprises the troll by leaping straight past him, slashing his unarmored left lower arm as he passes by! Before Kitten Mittens can turn around, Meat curtains stabs him through the weapon hand, and his hammer clatters to the ground!

Kitten Mittens, enraged and in great pain, rushes at the annoying gremlin again, and this time knocks the creature to the ground! He attempts to tusk the tiny creature, but Meat curtains scrambles away and gets to her feet! She then slashes open the troll's unarmored foot, felling the massive beast like a tree!

From here, Meat curtains stabs away at the troll's exposed extremities until he passes out from the intense pain. A quick stab to the unconscious beast's head penetrates the iron helm and finishes the fight! Meat curtains wins flawlessly, despite the unfavorable opening!

Combat Log

Afterward: So much for the perfect arena design. Kitten Mittens ended up getting first strike when he wasn't "meant" to, but Meat curtains prevailed regardless. Testing shows that this was not a random occurrence- a weighed-down troll is just slow enough to "luck-in" to a first strike against the very quick unladen gremlin. Despite this, it's not really advisable to intentionally weigh down your heavyweights, as they will still suffer greatly against most races. Congrats to the gremlin and her manager, Jackyl!

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 12, 2011

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Wow! Pretty sure that's the first upset of that magnitude that we've seen in Arena Challenge history.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I'm surprised Killer Queen didn't go with the build I was half expecting for a half-archer gladiator. A build I heard going around for a while was to take a Bow in one hand, two-three arrows in the other, and then equip a sword or two (maybe a shield), and take skills in Sword.

This way you get a a gladiator that can fire a few quick shots to weaken her opponent, and then attack with both Blunt and Edge types of damage, so you can work pretty well against armored and unarmored foes with the exact same skill.
But Crossbow and Whip doesn't quite work together the same way.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
:smug:

1800 tasty more points coming! Getting that first strike was critical, and dodging while on the ground was lucky too. I thought the knockdown was going to end it. Hopefully there are many more foot stabs in the future.

Pedantic edit: Meat curtains is a she gremlin, hence the name.

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

The frozen creature began emitting an eerie light...

Krysmphoenix posted:

I'm surprised Killer Queen didn't go with the build I was half expecting for a half-archer gladiator.

:ssh: I don't actually know what I'm doing! :ssh: I went with my gut feeling on everything. Glad it paid off!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

jackyl posted:

Fixed that.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
Wow! Thought I had that one in the bag, but what a surprise! Congrats Jackyl!

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

jackyl posted:

ew.

Great fights... This is looking like it'll be a fun tourney.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Yay another ant victory, but the gremlin wasted that troll and I'm fighting a gremlin soon.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Tirius posted:

Wow! Thought I had that one in the bag, but what a surprise! Congrats Jackyl!

I tested a few times and it was roughly 50-50, depending on where my first shot went and whether or not you got me on the ground. I never tested against an armored troll, though, so I never saw the first strike go to the troll.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A new request for Jazzimus: could you make it so it highlights ones own fights on the tournament schedule and bracket? The brackets are a lot bigger than I think we originally imagined, and it'd be nice to be able to just flip through real fast and find your own fights. :)

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Wow! Pretty sure that's the first upset of that magnitude that we've seen in Arena Challenge history.

Magic Dagger might have something to say about that.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Wow, OHGOD must look like a pincushion after that fight. I liked how he woke up long enough to attack twice, although me missed both times. Then started vomiting everywhere.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Suddenly I'm not so confident about my yeti vs a strangler fight. :ohdear:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Yeah, my yeti vs. kobold fight could really go either way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My strangler vs. kobold fight can really only go one way. I learned nothing from the travesty that was gently caress Rogers.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Meat curtains now has a blue dagger and more skills. :smug: I pity the fool facing her next. :ese:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I've fixed the betting interface so that you may no longer take back any bets you make. You can still increase the amount of a bet you have made, but you are not allowed to take it back or decrease the amount.

Bad Munki posted:

A new request for Jazzimus: could you make it so it highlights ones own fights on the tournament schedule and bracket? The brackets are a lot bigger than I think we originally imagined, and it'd be nice to be able to just flip through real fast and find your own fights. :)

Okay, I believe I have that working now.

Jack the Lad posted:

Jazzimus, would it be possible to have a new column on the My Bets page showing what the payout will be if you win?

I'll try to put this in over the weekend, with the disclaimer that all future payouts are subject to change as new bets are made.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 13, 2011

CaptainUltros
May 31, 2006

jackyl posted:

Meat curtains now has a blue dagger and more skills. :smug: I pity the fool facing her next. :ese:

I'm rooting for you my gremlin chum. I was too late to add my stabby gremlin into the fray. Go for the knees.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainUltros posted:

I'm rooting for you my gremlin chum. I was too late to add my stabby gremlin into the fray. Go for the knees.

Stabbing lower extremities is a clutch move, and I hope to put Meat curtains out to pasture. She won't get stud fees, but as whatever the gremlin equivalent of a broodmare is, I have confidence she will make many dorfbux.

Edit: Me and my homies like to play this game; We call it Amtrak but some call it the train

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 13, 2011

Nethris
Mar 28, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

I'm surprised Killer Queen didn't go with the build I was half expecting for a half-archer gladiator. A build I heard going around for a while was to take a Bow in one hand, two-three arrows in the other, and then equip a sword or two (maybe a shield), and take skills in Sword.

This way you get a a gladiator that can fire a few quick shots to weaken her opponent, and then attack with both Blunt and Edge types of damage, so you can work pretty well against armored and unarmored foes with the exact same skill.
But Crossbow and Whip doesn't quite work together the same way.

That seems like it would require testing before trying that - unless bows are doing a heck of a lot more damage swung in melee than I think they are, you really want your fighter to prefer the actual melee weapon and without testing I'd be worried it might pick at random with swords since it and the bow will be at the same skill level (like it does with 2 actual melee weapons of the same type). If it's smart enough to always prefer the sword that's a great idea so you'll actually have skill swinging the bow if you lose the sword of course, but trusting it works like that seems chancy.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Nethris posted:

That seems like it would require testing before trying that - unless bows are doing a heck of a lot more damage swung in melee than I think they are, you really want your fighter to prefer the actual melee weapon and without testing I'd be worried it might pick at random with swords since it and the bow will be at the same skill level (like it does with 2 actual melee weapons of the same type). If it's smart enough to always prefer the sword that's a great idea so you'll actually have skill swinging the bow if you lose the sword of course, but trusting it works like that seems chancy.

The AI knows enough to pick a random available weapon that uses its best skill. So if a swordsman is given an axe and a sword, he'll use the sword. If he's given a bow and a sword, but no arrows? Anyone's guess.

As it happens, a heavy bow is a surprisingly good bashing weapon, though, so it's not a terrible choice to go bow-and-sword.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I was the one proposing bow/sword in the iRC channel for a while. It's actually surprisingly good, and I was tempted to pick if only for the novelty value, but the site doesn't accept a bow plus another weapon, even without arrows, given that they're two-handed when firing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

jackyl posted:

Meat curtains now has a blue dagger and more skills. :smug: I pity the foot facing her next. :ese:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A ranged duel and a goliath takeout. This was a good couple rounds.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

And so Sir OHGOD lives up to his name.

:negative:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Matches Eighteen Through Nineteen:siren:

Match Eighteen, Aeiou (clanrat) vs. Fatty Bulgestar (LCQC)

Aeiou the human wields a bronze axe with an oak shield. He is clad in cheap armor, including a silver helm, breast plate, and leggings, and leather gauntlets and boots. Opposed is Fatty Bulgestar the dark gnome, who holds a steel short sword nearly as tall as he is. He wears only a tiny copper cap. Will a dark gnome finally taste victory?

The match begins! Bulgestar reaches center arena just before his human rival and immediately strikes out with his sword- cutting off half of Aeiou's arm with a single stroke! The human's axe clatters down into a rapidly-forming pool of blood, and Aeiou charges at Bulgestar with everything he has! The dark gnome is knocked to the ground, but otherwise unharmed.

Bulgestar easily defends himself from his position on the ground, and is shortly back to his feet- only to be knocked down again, this time with enough force to momentarily stun him. Still, Bulgestar easily parries Aeiou's clumsy shield strikes, though the human does connect with a solid kick. Bulgestar is shortly back to his feet, then shortly knocked off of them once more. Aeiou presses with little advantage he can take again and again, knocking the gnome off his feet every time he rises. But without his axe, the human has great difficulty finishing the job, and his blood loss has left him ghastly pale.

All Bulgestar needs to claim victory is a single successful counter or timely dodge! But with a wet plunk, Aeiou finishes the fight by putting his remaining fist through Bulgestar's head. Better luck next time, gnome folk!

Combat Log

Match Nineteen, Serpent per manuum (Asehujiko) vs. Hans (fluppet)

Serpent per manuum is a serpent man with an adamantine pick and absolutely nothing else. Hans the molemarian, on the other hand, has a silver spear, iron helm, leather armor, and bronze high boots. Since Serpent per manuum spent 1200 points on his weapon, he'll be hard-pressed to hold his own against his fearsome molemarian foe.

Serpent per manuum opens combat with a heft of his pick, but Hans deflects the blow. A flurry of strikes and parries follows, suddenly broken as Hans thrusts his spear through the serpent man's shoulder! Hans immediately jumps back as his opponent tries to even the score.

As the fighters close in once more, Hans delivers a stinging whack to per manuum's hand with the shaft of his spear. Angered, the serpent man charges- but only succeeds in stunning himself by colliding into the molemarian's thick hide! Hans rips open Serpent per manuum's chest with a rake of his claws. Still stunned and bloodied, Serpent per manuum attempts to charge his larger foe again- and again bounces off, but succeeds at least in dazing the molemarian in addition to himself.

Despite the serpent man's antics, though, Hans keeps making progress. He scores a hit to per manuum's head, and the serpent man reels.

Again and again Serpent per manuum is punctured, but still he fights back. A hit to his hand forces him to drop his pick, then his tail is punctured and he crumples to the ground in agony. Still, Serpent per manuum could win with his deadly bite- but in an ironic twist, Hans bites down on the serpent man, then shakes the despairing creature around wildly! Finally, Serpent per manuum loses consciousness, and is dispatched with a quick spearthrust to the head. Hans wins!

Combat Log

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Poor Fatty, even with the advantage of lopping off his opponents arm he couldnt win.

As for Serpent, I blame terrible manager choices. Wouldnt steel or bronze have been a better material for the pick? Adamantine may have piercing power, but it's just so light. And no skills = no kills.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Poor Fatty, even with the advantage of lopping off his opponents arm he couldnt win.

As for Serpent, I blame terrible manager choices. Wouldnt steel or bronze have been a better material for the pick? Adamantine may have piercing power, but it's just so light. And no skills = no kills.

From my testing, a weapon that completely ignores a large enemy's armor advantage is the most effective counter to them. Felled a steel clad yeti with a spine hit on the first run with it. I didn't expect to get matched against my own counter of a medium size, high defense enemy with how popular big gladiators are but such is life.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Asehujiko posted:

From my testing, a weapon that completely ignores a large enemy's armor advantage is the most effective counter to them. Felled a steel clad yeti with a spine hit on the first run with it. I didn't expect to get matched against my own counter of a medium size, high defense enemy with how popular big gladiators are but such is life.

I realize the problems with what I am about to propose, the least of which involves betting something worth marginally more than bit coins, but...

Would it be possible to show equipment setups, but not skill, for betting? I know this means that a) setups cannot be shown until frozen for obvious reasons and b) the betting window on the first fights is limited. However, the first round is completely blind, and seeing gear doesn't seem that unrealistic. After all, ypu already know race. Skills should, of course, remain a mystery.

Of course this requires more effort and can't be implemented this tourney (or round) for balance reasons, but it would at least give a strategy for first round betting besides name and size. Not that I mind, since I gained 1k dorfbux, but still...

For latter rounds, you can find their first fight and extrapolate, but seeing gear upgrades could be cool too.

The gladiators are just hanging out in cages with booze and statues and miasma and their gear, right?

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 17, 2011

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

jackyl posted:

The gladiators are just hanging out in cages with booze and statues and miasma and their gear, right?
I don't know how you treat your gladiators, but mine tend to spend her time sparing, getting fitted for armour and being trained to harness DWARF RAGETM.

I don't think visible equipment is the best idea. Even without knowing skills it would make the gladiators too open, and too easy to predict (working out skills from armour and weapon isn't hard).

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Does weight affect piercing weapons at all though? It's still a bad choice though because it's overkill against round one armour and forces you to sacrifice skills.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jack the Lad posted:

Jazzimus, would it be possible to have a new column on the My Bets page showing what the payout will be if you win?

Okay, I've finished this for the My Bets page.

jackyl posted:

Would it be possible to show equipment setups, but not skill, for betting? I know this means that a) setups cannot be shown until frozen for obvious reasons and b) the betting window on the first fights is limited. However, the first round is completely blind, and seeing gear doesn't seem that unrealistic. After all, ypu already know race. Skills should, of course, remain a mystery.

Possible? Yes, absolutely.

You're right that showing gear seems realistic; the question is really how it would affect game balance. The site was originally designed to hide skills from other users to make it more difficult to create an "optimized" build for your fighter's next opponent. That's less of a concern in this tournament, since all matches will be randomized each new round after the points are all spent (and I still haven't updated the brackets to reflect this).

Your approach would give bettors something more to go on than just a fighter's race and past performance, but like Bene Elim said, it's possible to infer an approximation of the skills based on the equipment. And is it a problem if people more familiar with DF combat and/or are more willing to simulate arena fights have a betting advantage? Maybe not... underdogs will still continue to win occasionally, and it seems right that said underdogs should pay out more when it happens. On the other hand, this whole approach would probably give more experienced players a greater payout in the long run, which may or may not be a bad thing, so... I don't know.

I guess there are good arguments both for and against it. I'll leave it up to Vox if he wants to enable it for the second round onwards, so that those who have already placed bets this round are not at an additional disadvantage.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I don't know if there'd be any easy way to implement it, but it could just display the equipment the gladiator was using in the previous round. All that information will have been reported in Vox's writeups by the time Round 2 comes around anyway; it would just save time on the user end as we wouldn't have to go backwards through Vox's posts to find out who's using slashing weapons against an opponent that favors heavy armor or whatever.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I like to think that if my arm was cut off in a fight with a midget I'd still be man enough to keep punching him in the head with my other arm until he died.

This happened to me in Adventurer mode once except I was able to pick up my sword again with my free hand :eng101:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:negative: Goddamnit, of all the times for the loss of an arm to not result in a loss. Stupid dark gnomes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Was Aeiou even trained in unarmed fighting? That's an amazing come-from-behind win if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
After the Gnome cut off the arm, he could have just run away and ran laps around the arena and won by bleeding out.

Instead he got punched in the brain. That's loving hilarious.

• Locked thread